• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
i got an awesome geno stage idea
it would be in maze forest and have the maze forest music from Super mario RPG and there would be trunk poipes to travel around in and there would be trees ins ome places to block those darn throws. its just an idea and i think playing in this stage and the music is awesome

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yup, Meta, that's the united fantasy.

Anyway, who else thinks it might be okay If they just made Geno a clone of Samus who couldn't transform. Also he'd have to have a different Down and Up-B. So I guess he'd be more Luigified than a direct clone, but since Samus's playstyle is bound to be disrupted with the inclusion of ZS, wouldn't making Geno play more like the old Samus be fitting. His >B definitely fits, just tack on a timed hit [with jingle]. and his B fits well enough.

Of course he would probably be shorter, [Mario's Size] and Maybe a little faster, but just imagine Geno doing all of Samus's A moves and try to tell me it doesn't fit.

With his size he could probably combo Uair and Fair much more easily. His sex kick would be nerfed, but he could have a faster meteor swipe to make up for it. All in all I'd say he'd be to Samus what Falco is to Fox.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I wouldn't mind, it seems like Samus except only better(which is fine by me)

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
Resting_Fox said:
Yup, Meta, that's the united fantasy.

Anyway, who else thinks it might be okay If they just made Geno a clone of Samus who couldn't transform. Also he'd have to have a different Down and Up-B. So I guess he'd be more Luigified than a direct clone, but since Samus's playstyle is bound to be disrupted with the inclusion of ZS, wouldn't making Geno play more like the old Samus be fitting. His >B definitely fits, just tack on a timed hit [with jingle]. and his B fits well enough.

Of course he would probably be shorter, [Mario's Size] and Maybe a little faster, but just imagine Geno doing all of Samus's A moves and try to tell me it doesn't fit.

With his size he could probably combo Uair and Fair much more easily. His sex kick would be nerfed, but he could have a faster meteor swipe to make up for it. All in all I'd say he'd be to Samus what Falco is to Fox.
well to tell u the truth i dont like the idea of him being similiar to samus. i do get how u got that.
oh and guys check out my moveset thats earlier in the thread and tell me wat u think

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I think that, if he isn't planned to be added as a full character, making him a Samus clone would be fine by me, as it would get him into the game. Obviously, we'd all rather that he had his own moveset, but Samus' could work if it comes to that.

kaid

Smash Master
The aformentioned puppet is only known to people who actually played SMRPG, and less loyally bo those who have heard of him from those who have. It seems explanations of his coolness fail to capture the interest of others.

Why would Nintendo ask for him? Would he bring in a radically different playerbase, like Snake? Would he resolve an ancient conflict, like Sonic?

Why would Square offer him? Is it a promotion for an up and coming game? Would nintendo pay them massive amounts on money?

Can anyone give three reasons for Geno that don't include how cool he is?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
You act as if all 3rd party characters have to be huge additions.

This would be something to please the fans, seeing as how there probably won't ever be a sequel to SMRPG. Nintendo would have to pay a lot of money, but that's not uncommon. Square knows that Geno has a fanbase(cult status) which is why they let him appear in Mario and Luigi Superstar Sage over Mallow, and they don't seem to be doing anything with the character. They won't want to add Sora, because that would be giving Kingdom Hearts publicity. As for the original FF characters, I doubt they'll make an appearance, not over Geno anyway.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well honestly, his being a puppet is part of what makes him a good character. I don't know how to explain it. He's just awe inspiring and his fantasy background and story really gave me a magical feeling when I was a kid.

I guess the best way to put it is
Geno : SMRPG :: Sheik : Ocarina of Time.

Nintendo would ask for him because he has a large fanbase and isn't a run-of-the-mill type of character. And he appeals to hardcore RPG players, and Square loyalists, most of whom have played Mario RPG and loved it.

And if Geno were in SSBB, it might just pave the way for Square to develop a direct Sequel to Mario RPG. Nintendo's policies have changed on loaning out their liscences. Just look at all the Capcom Zeldas, The Namco Starfox. So the problem Square had with Nintendo's controlling attitude, the source of their conflict, probably wouldn't arise if such a sequal were being made.

Nintendo would just lay back and watch the cash flow in. And hopefully Square wouldn't slack off on it either.

Also SMRPG may be available on the Virtual Console...so yeah. cha-ching.

kaid

Smash Master
Now that you mention it, lets run Sora through those same questions.

Why would Nintendo ask for him?
Would he bring in a radically different playerbase, like Snake? Squeenix fangirls, Final fantasy fans, and Disney people.

Why would Square offer him? Is it a promotion for an up and coming game? Yes, Kingdom Hearts 3.

So, Sora is actually more likely, through cold, hard reasoning, than Geno. There just isn't room for all the awesome characters out there.

EDIT: you actually make the best argument I have seen, Resting Fox. It's not easy explaining awesomeness.

kaid

Smash Master
KH1: Developer(s) Square Co., Ltd.
Publisher(s)
Square Co., Ltd. (Japan)
Square EA, Disney Interactive (N. America)
SCEE (Europe/Australia)

KH:CoM: Developer(s) Jupiter
Publisher(s)
Japan Square-Enix
U.S. Square-Enix
Europe Nintendo

KH2: Developer(s) Square Enix
Publisher(s) Square Enix, Buena Vista Games

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
kaid said:
KH1: Developer(s) Square Co., Ltd.
Publisher(s)
Square Co., Ltd. (Japan)
Square EA, Disney Interactive (N. America)
SCEE (Europe/Australia)

KH:CoM: Developer(s) Jupiter
Publisher(s)
Japan Square-Enix
U.S. Square-Enix
Europe Nintendo

KH2: Developer(s) Square Enix
Publisher(s) Square Enix, Buena Vista Games
BZZT! Sora, and all original characters in the Kingdom Hearts games, are copyright Disney. That just tells us who made the games. Namco made Mario Baseball, but Nintendo still owns Mario.

(and I'd source Disney owning it, but I can't find anything right now :/)

kaid

Smash Master
Geno was an original character made by Square, and belongs to square.
Sora was an original character made by square, and belongs to...

Source please?

kaid

Smash Master
Very well. My argumets also hold for Disney letting Sora in, too.

Why would Nintendo ask for him?
Would he bring in a radically different playerbase, like Snake? Yes. Squeenix fangirls, Final fantasy fans, and Disney people. (having been made by Square, few realize he is Disney property)

Why would Disney offer him? Is it a promotion for an up and coming game? Yes. Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming, whoever owns the characters.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Um, maybe I'm missing something, but was Kingdom Hearts on Gamecube? Cuz if it wasn't there's no point in talking about him on a Geno thread because only characters that have been on a nintendo console can make it into a third party slot. I know you guys haven't forgotten that, have you? Anyway, we just need a leak or spy in Sakurai's camp to let the secret out cuz they've probably already decided who all the characters are gonna be in brawl. They're gonna need all this time to make all of them and remake the 1player game (I read in another post that Sakurai was interviewed in Spanish and said that the 1p would be completely new and longer). In essence, for the programmers at least, the easiest part is deciding who and what to put into the game.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There was a Kingdom Hearts on the GBA that was obscure and did next to nothing for the GBA, but people always seem to find the smallest reasons on why a character should be in Brawl.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
TDub301 said:
Um, maybe I'm missing something, but was Kingdom Hearts on Gamecube? Cuz if it wasn't there's no point in talking about him on a Geno thread because only characters that have been on a nintendo console can make it into a third party slot. I know you guys haven't forgotten that, have you? Anyway, we just need a leak or spy in Sakurai's camp to let the secret out cuz they've probably already decided who all the characters are gonna be in brawl. They're gonna need all this time to make all of them and remake the 1player game (I read in another post that Sakurai was interviewed in Spanish and said that the 1p would be completely new and longer). In essence, for the programmers at least, the easiest part is deciding who and what to put into the game.
oh dear god ur ********!!!
the only system KH has been on is the gameboy advance

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
oh dear god ur ********!!!
the only system KH has been on is the gameboy advance

oh dear god ur ********!!!!
the other system KH has been on is the playstation 2

I get it, though. You meant only for Nintendo systems.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
y u call me ******** if u knew i was talking about the nintendo KH game u moron. jesus get it together!!
o dear god ur R retardeded! :O

It's Irony man. Chaps was just pointing that out. And besides the other guy's not necessarily ********. He's just ignorant. Get your Jesus together!!!

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Huh, never knew that. Was Cloud in that version? Cuz if he was, then that official Cloud thread may not be a complete waste of time and space after all. And you shouldn't call someone ******** because they don't know a game that was popular on PS2 came out in a piss-poor version on GBA, I don't even like ignorant, but at least I can accept that one over ********.

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
WHOA WHOA WHOA... THIS IS A GENO THREAD NOT TO BE TAINTED WITH FF OR KH.

With that said... I read some posts about Geno being a Luigified clone of Samus, and Im partially alright with it. I think they should blend Fox and Samus, and then add their own twist to it all, so in the end, he isnt really like anyone else. I want to use the Geno Whirl so badly... and the Arm Cannon, and Fingershot, and... well... everything he has.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I don't think he should be a clone of anyone. I'd only favor clones if they are running out of time and still want more characters in. They have plenty of time to finish this game, there shouldn't be a need for clones this time around. But Geno probably would be a good cross of Samus and Fox.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
Resting_Fox said:
o dear god ur R retardeded! :O

It's Irony man. Chaps was just pointing that out. And besides the other guy's not necessarily ********. He's just ignorant. Get your Jesus together!!!
?????
TDub301 said:
Huh, never knew that. Was Cloud in that version? Cuz if he was, then that official Cloud thread may not be a complete waste of time and space after all. And you shouldn't call someone ******** because they don't know a game that was popular on PS2 came out in a piss-poor version on GBA, I don't even like ignorant, but at least I can accept that one over ********.
it wasnt a piss-poor game, it was fun and explained everything on KH2
TDub301 said:
Eh, I don't think he should be a clone of anyone. I'd only favor clones if they are running out of time and still want more characters in. They have plenty of time to finish this game, there shouldn't be a need for clones this time around. But Geno probably would be a good cross of Samus and Fox.
yes i agree except with ur last sentence, i want him to be really different b.c. he is way different from everyone else. but even if hes a luigified clone im going to get very angry off :mad:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Being like Samus is a great thing... but I think he'll have his own moveset with a couple of moves taken from others, but not enough to consider him "luigified"

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Geno does NOT have to be a clone. Where did THAT come from? >.> He's a speedy character, with great projectile/range potential, but he'd suck at melee attacks, and end up being pretty light. That's not really that similar to Samus, who has some devastating up-close attacks to back up those fine Missiles and Power Beam shots.

Look...

B: Geno Beam -- Charge it up to fire a straight flying beam of energy that travels through opponents. Goes about the distance of two Bowsers before dissipating. Holds opponents in place, so no real knockback.

Forward B: Geno Whirl -- Normally average whirl of energy that flies out and lightly knocks back opponents. But if it is Smashed and connects with the dead-center of the other character, ala JPuff's "Nightmare," it will explode with energy and deal massive damage/knockback.

Up B: Geno Boost -- Leaps into the air, knocking back opponents. When used successively to hit multiple opponents, Geno will gain boosts in his Attack and Defense (Weight). Basically if you hit one opponent, he flashes red and blue with added power for a little bit, then longer for two opponents, and even longer for 3. It can go beyond that, but only in Multiman Melee type matches.

Down B: Geno Beam -- Geno throws up his hands and falls to the earth, sending a giant beam down around him. Works more like Pichu's Thunder, as it holds opponents in place and actually sends them downwards towards Geno. Deals nice damage, with wide range around Geno, but can't be used in the air. A bit of lag after the attack as well.

Super Smash -- Geno Flash -- Geno morphs into a cannon and fires a big flash of light and energy that blasts away opponents within a wide radius.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
We were saying make him a clone only if they don't have enough time to make him his own character(at least most of us were)

Anyway, nice moveset and it stays very true to the character.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'd say Geno's downB would be Geno Blast, but it would pretty much be the same thing as your current downB.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
I read Meta's, but actually, I DID like McFox's better.
It was good, just inferior. ;)

Anyhow, I haven't seen anyone talk about a potential Geno character intro. For sure, there should be an inanimate Geno doll just lifelessly sitting on the ground, only to be engulfed in supernatural light, and Bam.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Characters don't have intro's O.o They haven't since SSB64 O.o Which is why no one's talked about an intro for Geno.

(Although I could see Snake's intro, a cardboard box sitting around, then suddenly Snake pops up out of it with that '!' above his head with the classic MGS 'surprised' jingle.)

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I'm not anti-Geno or anything, but I just don't see the big deal. I mean, he's a puppet. OK. And? He's been in one game. Maybe I'd need to play his game, but I'm really not getting what the big deal is.

Distort

Smash Rookie
The big deal is that Geno is the guy I worship to every night.. WORSHIP HIM!! :D
Other than that I think Geno would make quite the awesome fighter in Smash.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
He's been in one game.
I suppose we should hate sheik cause he was only in one game.

I also don't see the big "to do" with bashing the concept of putting a character IN A MARIO GAME, regardless who made it, into brawl. Geno is a badass, and has enough popularity to DEFINITELY warrant it to be a good move to add in Brawl. It's a HELL of a lot more likely than a FF character, who has no ties to Nintendo. Keep in mind, while Snake was such a crazy character to add, he DID have connections to Nintendo.

Shark X

Smash Lord
DokturSea said:
I'm not anti-Geno or anything, but I just don't see the big deal. I mean, he's a puppet. OK. And? He's been in one game. Maybe I'd need to play his game, but I'm really not getting what the big deal is.
You just answered your own question. You never played it. Thats why you don't see the big deal.

Top Bottom