• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr. all the way!!! [/sarcasm]

Geno is clearly 9001 times better than any other potential Mario newcomer. Square-Enix did have a bit of a rough period with Nintendo during the N64 days, but they seem to have patched it up pretty well. I figure there's about a 75% chance that Geno makes it in; if not, it'll probably be because the SE guys will be like "Geno? Who's that?" and waste a month researching him, which by that time the roster will be finalized.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We're all sure Square WILL let them use Geno...If Sakurai asks to use him...

...Which we are also sure of since he seemed to show some interest in him from the whole poll thing...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
That's Square-Enix for ya - do nothing but waste our time.

"Well, we may have not been able to get Geno into Brawl for you, *snicker*, but good news! We've managed to create an all-new TENTH installment of Final Fantasy XIII, before a single one has been released! Aren't you just PSYCHED?!?!?"

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'm really getting tired of people saying "Square will say Cloud or Sora should be in the game instead of Geno if Nintendo asks!"

It really sounds dumb. In the first place, Sora is owned by DISNEY, not Square, so that's not even a possibility.

And second, Sonic the Hedgehog isn't exactly "repping" Sega and Snake isn't "repping" Konami in the way that people think that they are. It's not like you're going to play as Sonic in Brawl and then say "You know what? I have the sudden urge to buy a bunch of Sega games!" Sonic and Snake are in because they are characters that gamers love, end of story. Do you have any plans to buy a bunch of Konami stuff after playing as Snake? Not likely. Sure, you may suddenly want to play a Sonic or Metal Gear game, but it isn't repping the company as a whole.

So now you're thinking "Well, isn't that the same thing? Won't Square want Cloud in the game so that people will buy games starring Cloud?" No, it isn't the same thing. The word I see used on this forum more than anywhere else (that I'm really getting tired of) is "repping." He's "repping" that company or another. I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Repping implies that Smash Brawl is a COMPANY showdown, Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Konami. This implication further implies that other companies will want in on the action. "What about Square? What about Capcom, or Hudson-Soft? Won't they want their characters in the game so that they can be part of the struggle?"

NO. Yes, there is money to be made by having a character in Brawl (See: renewed interest in Earthbound, Fire Emblem games, etc.). But saying that "Square is full of money-grubbing *******s" implies that Nintendo is NOT.

They ALL are.

These are BIG businesses. Huge. Nintendo is #1 right now. That being the case, they don't make business decisions the way that you make decisions about your fan fics.

YOU: I want to write a version of you for my fan fic.
FRIEND: Wait, I have a different character who's really cool, you should use him instead!

SAKURAI: We want to use Geno for Brawl.
SQUARE: Wait, you should use Cloud instead!

One of those sounds really, really dumb. (Actually, both of them sound really dumb, but one of them sounds dumb AND unrealistic.) That isn't the way business works. Here's a MUCH more likely scenario:

Nintendo will ask for the right to use Geno in Brawl. They will propose a certain amount of money to be paid for said rights. The negotiations will begin, NOT with Square trying to force another character into the game, but rather by trying to force more money out of Nintendo for the character. Both sides of the negotiation will reach a final point where they're willing to negotiate no longer. At this point, Square will either say "Yes, you can use Geno in Brawl," or "No, you can't."

And this ALL assumes, of course, that Nintendo even approached Square in the first place. Despite Sakurai's apparent interest in the character and the overwhelming support from Geno's fans, it is ENTIRELY possible that Sakurai never sought to get the rights for Geno at all, for any NUMBER of reasons, from not wanting to deal with Square, to simply deciding that he doesn't need a spot in the game.

I had no intention to make this post this long, but this really gets me worked up when I see the same stupid thing in this topic every single time I check it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Heh, yeah! QFT! ...Though I had been using that word in the past, I still tried to say something along those lines before...

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Sonic had nothing to do with the date being pushed back. Sonic was announced because Sakurai new the fans would be mad unless he announced something BIG along with the bad news
But didn't Sonic get the OK recently? Isn't it odd that his moves and physhics were already done?

Sinn

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think that the game would be this close to being released to wait until NOW to start putting in an entirely new character. How long does a negotiation take anyway? Over a year? Somehow I doubt it.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Good news of the day? With all of the developing news of ATs coming out since this demo started, there's still no appearance of Geno - if Geno's in, it's as a PC, not an AT.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I pronounce it "Geh-Noh". That just sounds cooler.

"Geh-Noh and Mallow" sounds better than "Jee-Noh and Mallow".

D

Deleted member

Well that is not the proper way to pronounce it. It is GEE NOH. That is how his name was created. Geh Noh sounds weird to me.

What do you guys mean by AT?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of course if ANY character is going to be in the game, they already are...they still aren't doing negotions for ANY character...

If Geno is in, he's in...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of course Geno is not an AT...Duh, he's going to be playable...

Where can I get news on this though...any written at places?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Of course Geno is not an AT...Duh, he's going to be playable...

Where can I get news on this though...any written at places?
I wouldn't go so far as to confirm what we don't see, but yes, it is a good omen thus far.

Written? IGN, Gamespot, etc etc. Wherever news on this game is - people all over the place are playing the demo.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Keep your faith strong bretheren...Geno SHALL appear in due time...!

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I knew it! I FREAKING KNEW IT! the push back date did have to do with Sonic!

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I knew it! I FREAKING KNEW IT! the push back date did have to do with Sonic!
I think showing us Sonic was just to soften the blow of the delay, dude.

"Yeah, it's delayed, but LOOK - SONIC"

Geno HAS to be in! If he isn't, then that'd more or less be the end of our chances of a SMRPG revival. >_<

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Did you guys even read McFox's post? He hit the nail right on the head. There are no representatives for companies, only characters. It doesn't matter if Geno counts as a Mario character or a Square character. The only thing that matters is if Sakurai is willing to persue the character, not the company.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes! Geno will most likely be persuade! ..Most of the people that don't even consider him are probably the same people as the one's that say he's owned by Sony...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
When it comes to Sakurai's poll, the way I see it is...

- 5 - More or less guaranteed.
- 4 - Deserving. VERY good shot.
- 3 - Decent chance. Depends on Sakurai's thoughts.
- 2 - Chances are somewhat choppy, but they've caught Sakurai's attention.
- 1 - Their foot's in the door, but it's still anyone's guess.

Geno is a 4. Ike and Diddy are 4s, and they got in. Good omen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Square apparently wasn't in the demo's credits...but then again that ay be because it was a demo and didn't have geno...but it didn't have snake and Konami was credited...but if they did add Square and the such, then it would reveal Geno or something...

Either way it shouldn't be considered but at least brought up

ShurikenBW

Smash Cadet
Aside from Geno and Forest Maze (+music), what other Mario RPG related stuff would you like to see in Brawl? I know the third-party characters will most likely only have one stage and one music, but I'm just doing this for fun.

Anyway, I'd like to see Booster's Tower with it's music, and an Axem Ranger boss fight for aventure mode. They could do a sweet rock boss battle music with "Fight Against an Armed Boss" and "Fight Against a somewhat Stronger Monster" mixed together.

Snakz

Smash Ace
If Sakurai was going to go one step further and make a boss for Geno, i'd have to go with either the Axem Rangers, which was my favorite boss battle, funny and challenging, and a little annoying sometimes,

Yardovich, i think i hated him the most, i'd looooove to kick his *** in Brawl

Or you could just take the big baddie himself, Smithy, that would make an interesting boss battle, with the changing heads and with Gun Yolk too makin enemies to slow your progress

Dr.Saturn

Smash Apprentice
instead of charging up for the b move i would it more if was his should be his rocket arm and it would be like Samus missile just faster

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't worry about the credits thing, it was brought up in the Megaman thread a while ago and they aren't worried...

...It's probably to not reveal spoilers...

Top Bottom