• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Hong

The Strongest
The rom is pretty bad. xD Such a shame my little cousin broke my gamepad while visiting. Issues arise when it comes to rotating the control pad or diagonal jumps. That and things keep disappearing every now and then because ZSNES doesn't fully support the SA-1 engine. Ah well. Still fun.

Sinn

Smash Lord
What is this SA-1 engine you speak of? You mentioned it before, and I figure it's SMRPG's engine, but what about it was so difficult to make work on ZSNES and the VC?

Hong

The Strongest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_SA-1
A few of the features just don't exist on different hardware, even if it's superior. The game is designed to "check" for a specific processor to load things in scenes where there are too many objects in order to make the game run smoother. Even if the system it's trying to play on is superior, it'll still check for this aged mechanic. This is just based on assumptions, but Nintendo would probably have to change the parts of the game that depend on this built in processor support.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Picture on the first page doesn't work after it says, Im just curious, cause I want to see it.

"We hope Geno is in Brawl!"

Zoinkslls

Smash Apprentice
You're just saying that because you don't like him... You know that Sakurai and his team is trying to make all the characters balanced, right?

Sinn

Smash Lord
Geno isn't very big. He doesn't HAVE to be all that powerful (see Mewtwo). Are there any characters from Melee that are banned from tournaments? This isn't a DBZ fighting game. There aren't characters that just completely outclass others.

Hong

The Strongest
Nah. Sakurai would obviously make it so Geno Whirl instantly one-shots any opponent, as well as having Geno Blast obliterate the stage entirely. We all know how oblivious and naive he is.
[/sarcasm]

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Ok, I've got a question. What if Sakurai hates us so much that instead of putting what the U.S. fans want by putting Geno on the game, that he flips the script and puts Mallow on the Brawl roster instead?

^^Where do we Geno fans go from here?

Sinn

Smash Lord
I pity the fool that doesn't understand e-sarcasm.
It's pretty hard for me to pick up on sarcasm in text without it being outlandishly obvious? People have said what you said seriously before...which is why it's not that hard to think you could've been serious too.

Now if you said, "Geno can't be a character. His laser would set the entire stage on fire and him along with it," then I woulda known you were being sarcastic.

EDIT: And if Mallow gets in and not Geno, I would still play as him. A Mario RPG character would still be novel enough to warrant my playing as them. He's just nothing in comparison to Geno's bad-assery.

Hong

The Strongest
I think Mallow would be a better assist trophy. Not because I prefer Geno, but because Mallow has a lot more potential. He could summon an unpredictable storm. One effect could be Thunderbolt (damage to all opponents but no flinch), the other Shocker (single powerful damage to one target with good knockback) or HP Rain. (Heals everyone, including the opponents for 36% over 12 seconds)
He doesn't look that fun.
See, that's the thing. Nearly everyone who hasn't played Super Mario RPG says that. If for some sick reason I never played a Mario game, wouldn't I just rule him out as a useless plumber? Would I think Marth is just some overly feminine swordsman? Would I classify the Ice Climbers as two Canadian tax collectors? Sometimes, if the character doesn't look extraordinary, you need to get to know them better as well as witness their awesomeness.

Fawriel

Smash Master
^^^
It's always like that. With few exceptions whose superficial design already oozes awesomeness ( Ridley ), you need to actually know the character to like them.
I used to be indifferent or even opposed to Fire Emblem characters, now I want Lynn, I used to see Lloyd Irving and think "eh, swordsman in weird clothes" and now I think he's awesome.

Just saying.

PS: Canadian tax collectors. Awesome.

Geno would be too big and powerful and be banned from tournaments.
Geno would be a Jigglypuff clone.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, SMRPG sold 1.47 mil copies in Japan alone, which is a lot for a SNES game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...Has anyone pointed out that the musician that has worked on Kingdom Hearts, Yoko Shimomura, also worked on the music for Super Mario RPG?

Doesn't really mean much I know...

Hong

The Strongest
...Has anyone pointed out that the musician that has worked on Kingdom Hearts, Yoko Shimomura, also worked on the music for Super Mario RPG?

Doesn't really mean much I know...
More than once. :p

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
First of all, Geno is in the Top 5 for characters on Sakurai's poll. Aswell as Dedede, Diddy, Ike, Ridley, and himself. Tell me all of those people do not seem likely to get in.
If you have seen the first post of this thread, you'd probally change your mind.

All of those characters seem perfect.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm... Who is Geno's competition? It's likely Mario will get at least one new character... The only one that comes to mind to me would be Bowser Jr.

I must say though, Geno does have a hefty amount going against him... I do want him to be in Brawl, but aside from popularity he doesn't seem to have much going for him. He would technically be a 3rd-party character, (Though I don't see why Square wouldn't allow his usage...) and his only game is quite old. (But it did sell very well, and is still very popular...)

He would be a very interesting character, I'm sure. With a very ...flashy moveset? Not sure how to describe it... Anyway, he's clearly very popular, and Sakurai knows this, so I'll remain hopeful. (Mario needs an, IMO, badass character) ;)

...I used to have a strategy guide for SMRPG that showed different colored clothing for each character. (That includes Geno) I remember two specifically; One with a watery look to it's design, and another was black with a flame pattern. I think those would make awesome alternate costumes!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hmmm... Who is Geno's competition? It's likely Mario will get at least one new character... The only one that comes to mind to me would be Bowser Jr.

I must say though, Geno does have a hefty amount going against him... I do want him to be in Brawl, but aside from popularity he doesn't seem to have much going for him. He would technically be a 3rd-party character, (Though I don't see why Square wouldn't allow his usage...) and his only game is quite old. (But it did sell very well, and is still very popular...)

He would be a very interesting character, I'm sure. With a very ...flashy moveset? Not sure how to describe it... Anyway, he's clearly very popular, and Sakurai knows this, so I'll remain hopeful. (Mario needs an, IMO, badass character) ;)

...I used to have a strategy guide for SMRPG that showed different colored clothing for each character. (That includes Geno) I remember two specifically; One with a watery look to it's design, and another was black with a flame pattern. I think those would make awesome alternate costumes!
If he uses the same excuse he used in the Sonic thread...SHY GUY WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER CHARACTER...seriously, that's what he said...then gave a shy guy moveset

Hong

The Strongest
You know, if Geno makes it into Brawl, we'll know how to pronounce his name. :p
Since I played Super Mario RPG for SNES, everyone around here pronounced it 'Jee-Noh', but I saw a topic about his name on many forums and some people think it's 'Gen-Noh', 'Jen-Noh', 'Gee-Noh' amongst other odd ideas.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, if Geno makes it into Brawl, we'll know how to pronounce his name. :p
Since I played Super Mario RPG for SNES, everyone around here pronounced it 'Jee-Noh', but I saw a topic about his name on many forums and some people think it's 'Gen-Noh', 'Jen-Noh', 'Gee-Noh' amongst other odd ideas.
I say it's Gee-Noh

Top Bottom