• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Alot of characters aren't popular enough to be playable, like Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Pichu, Dr. Mario; but they are anyway.
First of all, let's leave Pichu and Dr. Mario out of this. Brawl =/= Melee. And both those characters are likely out of Brawl.

You must understand that Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch are the main characters from retro games. This is what makes them appealing to Sakurai.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
First of all, let's leave Pichu and Dr. Mario out of this. Brawl =/= Melee. And both those characters are likely out of Brawl.

You must understand that Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch are the main characters from retro games. This is what makes them appealing to Sakurai.
Whether or not Geno is the main character is not the issue; he's more relevant to the plot of that game than Mario is, but that's not the point.

Sakurai IS interested in Geno, as you've seen from the polls, reguardless of him being the main character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When will people stop using BS, fan-made up arguements against Geno. The only real evidence in the slightest for either way is the poll and when Sakurai actually asked around about the character

Pieman0920

Smash Master
How can Sakurai be interested in a character due to polls with votes by other people?

And outside of a very twisted veiwpoint, Mario was the main character of SMRPG, since at least he had a role throught the whole game itself, even if his initial goal wasn't as world spanning.

Anyways, it seems with those new Famitsu scans, that Mario's FS actually comes from SMRPG. =/

Machspeed

Smash Lord
How can Sakurai be interested in a character due to polls with votes by other people?

And outside of a very twisted veiwpoint, Mario was the main character of SMRPG, since at least he had a role throught the whole game itself, even if his initial goal wasn't as world spanning.

Anyways, it seems with those new Famitsu scans, that Mario's FS actually comes from SMRPG. =/
The poll was a pile of suggestions Sakurai got from fans. He got about 290 entries, and he picked out the ones he was interested in. He picked out multiple entries from the characters he was interested in. Those at the top of the poll were the ones he was the most interested in.

Mario was the main character because he had to be. Nintendo developing a game with Mario in it for a 3rd party company, with him as a secondary character is simply preposterous; never going to happen.

Wow, didn't even realize.
Would that be Mario's ultra flare where if you hit Y repeatedly it hits everyone on the screen?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I've never seen a Final Fantasy character destroy the universe (Super Mario Galaxy) or have the ability to destroy all of existence (Super Paper Mario). I stand by the fact that Mario can take anyone. =)

And don't diss Paper Mario. It WAS a GREAT game and the sequels were amazing as well. Super Paper Mario was wonderful and amazing. It was definitely the most emotion-driven Mario game of all time. The impending destruction of all existence is one hell of a storyline.

But they are NOT sequels to SMRPG. Being an RPG doesn't make it a sequel. Though they did draw ideas from SMRPG.

In my opinion, Paper Mario was the best Mario RPG but I'm arguing for Geno as a character which is the criteria of whether or not a character is playable. SMRPG was also the most SIGNIFICANT of all the Mario RPG's despite any differences in popularity. And it was also significant to Nintendo in general. If it didn't hold any significance at all and Geno didn't rank high on Sakurai's polls then I wouldn't be here arguing right now because I would agree that his chances are nonexistence but he scored high on the polls AND SMRPG was VERY significant.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It simply explains the origin of Mario's moves. Fireball, FLUDD, cape, and Mairo Finale.

And you were the one talking about BS fan-made arguments...
I was simply showing a screen...

and ALL you use is BS arguments based on your own assumptions...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The poll was a pile of suggestions Sakurai got from fans. He got about 290 entries, and he picked out the ones he was interested in. He picked out multiple entries from the characters he was interested in. Those at the top of the poll were the ones he was the most interested in.

Mario was the main character because he had to be. Nintendo developing a game with Mario in it for a 3rd party company, with him as a secondary character is simply preposterous; never going to happen.

Wow, didn't even realize.
Would that be Mario's ultra flare where if you hit Y repeatedly it hits everyone on the screen?
You're infering too much that he was actually interested in them. The exact reasons why he choose certain ones over others is unknown, since there are loads of things that don't make sense with that and probably were not even translated. Are you seriously going to say that Sakurai is interested in Link's Uncle? Or the blue virus from Dr. Mario? Of course not. The rhyme or reason of that poll is pretty much all random.

I know that. Why bring it up though? If it's clear that Geno wasn't, and he never had a chance to be the main character, why always bring it up again?

And yeah pretty much. The pictures have now been posted. =/

D

Deleted member

What really grinds my gears is that people think that someone with more poll entries than Ridley will make it in as an AT. Like; wtf lmao.

Cless

Smash Champion
You're infering too much that he was actually interested in them. The exact reasons why he choose certain ones over others is unknown, since there are loads of things that don't make sense with that and probably were not even translated. Are you seriously going to say that Sakurai is interested in Link's Uncle? Or the blue virus from Dr. Mario? Of course not. The rhyme or reason of that poll is pretty much all random.

I know that. Why bring it up though? If it's clear that Geno wasn't, and he never had a chance to be the main character, why always bring it up again?

All I know is that most of the characters around Geno that have been mentioned by Sakurai multiple times on the dojo were made playable.

Machspeed

Smash Lord

King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4)
Pikmin & Olimar(3) - CONFIRMED
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Those who got one mention, I realize barely don't have a chance, but towards the top of the list is a pretty good choice and array of playable characters. The one's who got one mention are more tailored to AT-type material, versus a playable character. Notice Link's Uncle, or James Bond, or any other foolish characters of the sort did not get higher than one mention in his journal.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
The ''Geno entries'' mean nothing because the form was like this (this is an example):

Name: XXXXX

Favorite character: Geno

Maybe Sakurai was more interested in the music (which is the point of the form), rather than Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The ''Geno entries'' mean nothing because the form was like this (this is an example):

Name: XXXXX

Favorite character: Geno

Maybe Sakurai was more interested in the music (which is the point of the form), rather than Geno.
and you continue to show your ignorance...nice job on that

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I always thought that Mario's FS was Ultra Flame. The funny thing is that it's actually a nerfed version of the original.

@Pieman: I think he looked at Link's Uncle and Blue Virus because he was thinking "WTF? How do THEY fit in here?" They never got more than one entree because they were too WTF? to be significant. Those were truly "curious" posts rather than interested. He obviously isn't ruling Geno out so quickly as he went through the trouble of viewing multiple entrees of him.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only way this sentence would make sense would be if what I said was true.
Maybe I should speak slower and with easier to understand words...

You have really not said anything that was important or even mattered in any way so I will not waste my time disproving garbage

Come up with a REAL arguement and maybe it will be worth my while

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I already posted it. Look up FlipTroopa in the Search Members function and then select the "Threads Created By This Member" option and then click on the thread called "The Rumor Mill".

It's a legit translation.

D

Deleted member

Bottom line, Sakurai is intruiged by Geno's performance in Mario RPG and the fact that he got 5 mentions and is a third party character. The thing we all know as a relevant fact is that Sakurai knows what the fans want and the fans want Geno. We want Geno and I am sure more than 3 quarters of the Brawl population WANTS Geno. The fans will get what they want, I mean, look at Olimar. The fans wanted Olimar. Look at Dedede. The fans wanted Dedede and he knew for a fact that the fans wanted Sonic and it was pretty obvious that he'd be in, polls or no polls. Geno has too much love around the world to say no too. AT? Pfft, the fans want playable. The fans want Ridley playable. The fans wanted Diddy, Dedede, Sonic and even Olimar playable. And we got it. Sakurai really listens to his fans and we should respect that. We will get Geno. He will be a PC. Square? I don't see why they won't give him up.

GENO FOR F*CKING BRAWL

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Just to know, how would each of you guys react if he's an AT?
I'd be highly disappointed because it would be a huge mistake on Sakurai's part and would prove that he completely ignored the huge fan movement to get Geno in Brawl (check SMRPG Legacy and you'll know there IS a fan movement).

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Little off topic, but I had a question about Geno himself. Everyone keeps saying he's a doll, but as far as I know, he simply took on the appearance of the doll, but was not actually a doll. I have played SMRPG, and that was my impression throughout the whole game: that the way he chose to manifest himself was by mimicking the appearance of the doll (but not that he was a doll). Any clarification on that?

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Here is the translation, both Engrish and English summaries.

It's been posted now at least five times since I've been frequenting this topic. It really took around 5 seconds to dig up.

Cless

Smash Champion
Little off topic, but I had a question about Geno himself. Everyone keeps saying he's a doll, but as far as I know, he simply took on the appearance of the doll, but was not actually a doll. I have played SMRPG, and that was my impression throughout the whole game: that the way he chose to manifest himself was by mimicking the appearance of the doll (but not that he was a doll). Any clarification on that?
The star that is actually whatever his real name is inhabited the Geno doll that Gaz was playing with.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Just to know, how would each of you guys react if he's an AT?
It would be very dissapointing, to say the least.

To know that Mario's FS derives from the SMRPG, and Peach's pan attack derives from the SMRPG, Geno scoring so high on the polls, but him not getting in; would be quite the shocker.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Here is the translation, both Engrish and English summaries.

It's been posted now at least five times since I've been frequenting this topic. It really took around 5 seconds to dig up.
Thanks for giving a link to it and not insulting me. Or did you? The last line is ambigous and unneeded.

I was mistaken about those mentions.

Top Bottom