• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Nintendo was smart, they'd buy all the rights to Geno. Mallow and the other SMRPG characters as well. It's not like Square-Enix has much use for them anyway.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought they did already? O_o?

Which mean't he is officially a Mario character, Megaman can get in without a hitch (other than Capcom being *******) and expect to see him in Mario Party 1453. :laugh:

bryloom

Smash Rookie
Unless Nintendo did buy full ownership of Geno while Brawl was being made. If so, I can see a SMRPG2 for the DS happening. Or a spinoff with Geno as the main character. It would be a great strategy on Nintendo's part. Nintendo has proven that it can make good RPGs without Square Enix's help. I'm sure they are aware of Geno's popularity. And he is pretty popular within Nintendo fans for a character who is owned by a third party who was only featured in one game. With Sakurai's poll, I can't imagine them being able to ignore those figures.

Seriously, how would we know if Nintendo hasn't bought full ownership of Geno already?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
About Geno's party status:

Geno's creators were originally part of Square-Enix and Nintendo, but they broke off into an even smaller company, named Alpha Dream. Alpha Dream is second party to both Nintendo and Square-Enix, and they own most of the rights to Geno up to today. Alpha Dream was associated in developing M&L:SS, explaining why Geno made a small cameo in that game. Sakurai, if he wanted to, could go to Alpha Dream simply for the rights to Geno, and then give Square-Enix a simple mention in the credits.

Unless it's changed since then, from Nintendo buying it or something, that's where it stands as of now.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
I've always imagined the Axem Rangers being unlockable replacements for the Alloy Rangers in the Multi-Man Melee. I just can't seem to imagine them having a major role in SE. Smithy would be enough.

I know! Isn't it great? You know, It can stay this way if you guys just ignore the Geno Haters and trolls. I mean, we're not obligated to respond to them. Just let them rant to themselves until they get tired and leave. It's not hard, really. :p
I still think Axem Rangers should be in SSE. Have you seen SMBZ? They gave the axem rangers a very good update. If you want to see it, i'll post it here. ^^

Here are the arguements from the op:

1) Nobody's heard of him

This argument right off the bat is so weak, every time I hear this arguement being used it makes me want to choke puppies. We have so many examples of this factor not being an issue. First off, we have Geno’s poll numbers, tied for second. CLEARLY, enough people have heard of Geno for them to believe he deserves a spot in Brawl. Secondly, don’t know about you, but had you ever heard of the Ice Climbers and/or Mr. Game & Watch before Melee was released? Unless you played their games, most people would say they haven’t. So not having been heard of is definitely not a valid reason not to be included in Brawl.

2) We have too many Mario reps already

Usually, the people who say this are the same people who believe DK, Yoshi and Wario are considered part of the Mario franchise, when Sakurai clearly shows that at least that for Brawl’s sake that is not the case. Sure, they got their start in Mario games, no question, but it doesn’t matter whether you believe they have they’re own separate franchise or not, Sakurai considers them separate franchises. So not including those characters, we have Mario, most likely Luigi, Bowser and Peach, and don’t tell me Dr. Mario is returning, his chances are almost nigh. So that’s 4 characters, I wouldn’t say one more is too much, would you? Pokémon already has 4 representatives (Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer who has 3 other Pokémon), there’s a good chance that there will be one more representative. Remember we’re about franchise representation here, not slots. The number of slots is not significant as they can change easily. So if Pokémon can have 5 reps, why not Nintendo’s most well-known franchise?

Not to mention the Pokémon franchise is also represented by the countless number of Pokémon in the Pokéball item. Though now with the introduction of Assist Trophies, other franchises, and even those who will not get a PC rep can still have a chance to shine in Brawl, though slightly, well ain’t that peachy? So far we’ve been shown the Hammer Bros, Bullet Bills and Latiku to represent the Mario franchise in AT fashion. Although there will probably be more from the Mario series, there’s no question that the number of Pokémon non-PC reps will outnumber non-PC Mario reps, so even in that respect, Mario will not be the most represented. Also there’s a little series needing mention called Zelda. It’s been predicted that there will be two more reps, Ganondorf being one of them (what a surprise) and mainly a competition between Midna w/ or w/out Wolf Link and WW Link. I wont get into that since this is no the place for that, but the point it this; Zelda is very likely to have at least 5 PC reps, same goes to Pokémon, so what’s to say the Mario series shouldn’t get 5 reps?

Of course, others will argue for Bowser Jr. as the last Mario rep. Most do not believe that Geno AND Bowser Jr. will make it to Brawl, so that really comes down to your own opinion on who should get in between those two.

3) He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot.

4) Geno's third party, he's not worthy of a third party slot

Alright now to the juicy stuff. This is probably the most common argument made against Geno since he is owned by Square-Enix. If you haven’t read this (Thanks to PsychoIncarnate for this find!), I strongly suggest you do: http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ It’s an argument saying the Geno isn’t exactly 3rd party, but something called 2nd ½ party. If this really is the case for Geno’s legal stand point, then there’s virtually no problem in adding Geno.

But if you don’t believe the article and still think Geno will be purely 3rd party, your most likely saying that Geno is not worthy of the last (or supposedly last) 3rd party spot compared to Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, or “someotherman”. Personally, I believe that if Geno really is pure 3rd party (which I don’t) then the only competition he has is Megaman.

Now let me get this out of the way first; whether you believe Geno is worthy of Brawl is purely your own opinion, there’s nothing factual about worthiness. Now Megaman is no doubt a very iconic character and has been on numerous titles to which I won’t bother counting, most of which are on a Nintendo console. But considering Megaman only received two votes, it’s obviously not the best he could get, but it’s not a very strong case for his appearance in Brawl, so many of his fans are relying on his popularity outside the polls. The bad part for Megaman is we really don’t know how much Sakurai is looking into Megaman as a result of the poll. Because of his relative poor rank on the poll compared to his popularity, I consider Megaman and Geno to be equals in terms of purely 3rd parties. The rest is just my favoring of Geno over Megaman.

As for other 3rd party characters, it’s for the most part, the same case. They got relatively low standings on the polls (or in some character’s cases, not at all, yet still being supported), so the fans rely on the character’s popularity alone. I honestly think the poll will turn out to have a great impact on who will be considered to enter Brawl, Which is certainly the case for Geno. Unfortunately for the rest, I don’t think the other character’s popularity will enough (for the record, I’d love to see Bomberman in Brawl, but I just don’t see it happening).

Now if Sakurai decides to tell us he changed his mind and is letting more 3rd party characters in, then we’ve more to discuss, but until then, that’s all I gotta say about Geno and 3rd parties. Just remember, overall I don’t consider Geno a pure 3rd party addition, and I sure plenty of Geno fans don’t either, but there are still some who do, and I wanted to point out they’re possible views on it.

D

Deleted member

Using the "Geno isn't a mascot" is a dumb argument. Claus wasn't a mascot. He's been in one game. Only few know who he is and I am sure more people know who Geno is than Claus and Claus has a lot of support.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
but no matter how much you say it they are not shoe-ins, i dont think there are any shoe-ins. Especially after the at'ing off gorah, who was supposedly thought to be a shoe-in.
Nobodies a shoe-in, you and I could sit here and argue all day about Geno's chances, yet whatever's in Sakurai's mind is all that matters when it comes to the roster.

Goroh wasn't a shoe-in... in fact there were incidentally never any "shoe-ins", nobody here can estimate a characters chances over another character... not even Chuck Norris can do such a thing.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
ever thought mabye it was the game itself and not just one character that sold the game?
I don't know if you've cared to realize, Pikmin (seperately, not including the sequel) sold less than SMRPG.

Look which newcomer joined us last week.

That's alike you saying people buying Twilight Princess only for Zelda or something; it could be said for alot of games. Geno was a newly introduced character, of course they didn't buy it for just him.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if Geno is in Brawl, do you think Smithy might have a small role in subspace? Like someone said earlier the Axem Rangers would be cool, although the Alloy teams new design really reminded me of them when I first saw it.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
ever thought mabye it was the game itself and not just one character that sold the game?
where did I say Geno sold the game?

I just said he's more known in Japan because it sold more there. that's hard to understand or something?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Actually, if Geno is in Brawl, do you think Smithy might have a small role in subspace? Like someone said earlier the Axem Rangers would be cool, although the Alloy teams new design really reminded me of them when I first saw it.
I'd definently like to see Smithy incorporated into Geno's SSE, and maybe after you defeat him he can become an AT.

I'd also like to see Exor, Axem Rangers, and possibly Croco in addition. :)

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
I cannot wait until the roster is leaked...

But I don't want to spoil all the characters...except I want to know if Geno is in. What I'm gonna do is Ctrl+F and type in Geno. Hopefully his name will show up. :)

Geno for Brawl!

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Geno 4 AT sounds about right.
Well I think that Bowser Jr as an assist trophy is the best, but that wouldn't matter to you would it? I mean it's not like you hate Geno because you feel he's Bowser Jr's main competitor right? After all, trolling on a character board because you feel he's the only threat to your favourite character would just be petty right?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Well I think that Bowser Jr as an assist trophy is the best, but that wouldn't matter to you would it? I mean it's not like you hate Geno because you feel he's Bowser Jr's main competitor right? After all, trolling on a character board because you feel he's the only threat to your favourite character would just be petty right?
That's great that you share your opinion. In my mind, they aren't competitors at all considering one will replace Doc while the other a newcomer for the series.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
There could be competiton, as far as we know. And if any character makes it in over Bowser Jr., I'll be very upset.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
That's great that you share your opinion. In my mind, they aren't competitors at all considering one will replace Doc while the other a newcomer for the series.
Never said they are. I just said that you wouldn't go and troll a board because you feel a character is a threat to your favourite. I'm getting fed up opening this thread to see replies and constantly seeing this idiot going 'Yeah, Geno 4 assist trophy sounds about right, lulz.' He's repeated the same statement a fair few times now. It doesn't add to the discussion, it doesn't make a valid point, it's just simply because he doesn't like the character. No other reason.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Just ignore Matthieu. Once he actually gives an unbiased point, we'll talk.

Hope Geno is tomorrows update! ^^
Would be cool, but if that Rapscouter guy, (the only one I have any faith in as he successfully did Pokemon I believe) is right, we should see a Capcom character this week.

Top Bottom