• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

D

Deleted member

No other reason.

One person said:

"Because he is owned by Square."

I doubt it was Mathieu but whoever said it received a cookie from me. Why? Well, just look at it.

"Geno should be an AT because he is owned by Square."

But, Mathieu, I'd like to know what you have against Geno, why you don't think he'll be PC and why you think he'll be an AT.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
I simply do not understand why a side character (strike one) from an old (strike two) third party (strike three) game should be playable in one of the most anticipated games of all time.

Geno was the main character in the game : No. I concede that without him, we wouldn't know what's going on. But still, this is a filler role that can be fullfilled by any character (i.e. Star Spirits in Paper Mario)

Sakurai likes retro: First, is could be argued that a game from 1996 isn't retro, especially considering the PlayStation was out in 1995 in the US, and the N64 was already released in Japan when RPG came out. That said, do not mention Pit, or the Ice Climbers. They were the main characters in their game. Anyone who played the games remembers them. We couldn't say the same for Geno, because only the majority of Mario RPG players remember him, not the totality.

He's not third-party: Yes, he is. The reason why he was listed under the Mario series is that he is a third-party character from a first-party series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I simply do not understand why a side character (strike one) from an old (strike two) third party (strike three) game should be playable in one of the most anticipated games of all time.

Geno was the main character in the game : No. I concede that without him, we wouldn't know what's going on. But still, this is a filler role that can be fullfilled by any character (i.e. Star Spirits in Paper Mario)

Sakurai likes retro: First, is could be argued that a game from 1996 isn't retro, especially considering the PlayStation was out in 1995 in the US, and the N64 was already released in Japan when RPG came out. That said, do not mention Pit, or the Ice Climbers. They were the main characters in their game. Anyone who played the games remembers them. We couldn't say the same for Geno, because only the majority of Mario RPG players remember him, not the totality.

He's not third-party: Yes, he is. The reason why he was listed under the Mario series is that he is a third-party character from a first-party series.
1) Not all characters in smash are main characters...so I never saw that as a real reason...Not to mention that's very shallow...

2) Since when does time matter? I still play NES games...I still like NES games and characters...SNES was one of the best days for me though especially...again...I see no point..This game isn't made to only have new characters...It's a combination of ALL Nintendo history

3) It wasn't a third party game, it was developed by BOTH Nintendo AND Square. So was Geno...whether he is now owned by Square or not doesn't make him any less of a Mario character, which he is considered FIRST...

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You dont choose who's in the game though, sakurai does, and sakurai goes according to demand, and Geno is in demand, that's all you need to know

D

Deleted member

Not the main character but definately the main hero no doubt. He had thr biggest role in the game unlike Mario, Bowser etc. But, really, it depends how the creators put the characters in and what they did. Geno however did the biggest thing in the game. Mario and Bowser had their own motives.

"Imma off to-ah get zee princess-uh!"

"GARGH! I WANT MY F*CKING CASTLE!"

"I must stop the evil forces of Smithy and on my way, I have to retrieve the star spirits for rebuilding Star Road." And this role not only defeated Smithy and saved Star Road but also saved Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurai likes retro: First, is could be argued that a game from 1996 isn't retro, especially considering the PlayStation was out in 1995 in the US, and the N64 was already released in Japan when RPG came out. That said, do not mention Pit, or the Ice Climbers. They were the main characters in their game. Anyone who played the games remembers them.

And people who played Mario RPG don't remember Geno?

We couldn't say the same for Geno, because only the majority of Mario RPG players remember him, not the totality.

Um... What? You meet Geno, like, almost in the beginning. I did on the first day playing Mario RPG. > . >

That ain't stopping Geno. Besides, he is more of a 2nd 1/2 party because the creator of Geno works for a Nintendo second party team. They got away with putting Geno in a cameo by just saying he is owned by Square but the creator of him, who works at Alpha Dreams, still has rights.

Machspeed

Smash Lord

A.) Geno was not a filler character in the least bit. Please tell me how a star possessed doll's shoes can be filled by any other character? Mario could've been anyone himself, as he was just sort of a vantage/meeting point for the rest of the members of SMRPG. Geno however, was significant to the plot, he was just hanging onto Mario for the ride, along with Mallow, Bowser and Peach. They could've done it without him. Generally anyone who touched the SMRPG, remembers Geno at least, or can recognize him if they see him definently.

B.) Geno's not retro, I'll give you that, but he's well on his way to becoming a retro character. Geno could be considered the main character, because once again, I'll mention this point; do you honestly think Nintendo would put Mario in a game with a 3rd party company with him as the side character? Mario will NEVER be a side character in his game, and it's even more foolish to do so in a 3rd party game.

C.) Nobody really knows Geno's party status down to the key. For all we know, with the announcing of Brawl, Nintendo could've just bought Geno for future games, as well as Brawl itself. Alpha Dream was the team who created Geno, which is second party to both Square-Enix and Nintendo. Alpha Dream was the one who was able to make the connection to get Geno in as a cameo for M&L:SS.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
It's easy to twist facts to your favor. You can't say Geno was the ''hero'' of SMRPG under any definition of the term. SMRPG was a bit like Final Fantasy VI. There was no real hero (though Mario comes close, because children were used to see him as a hero). Each character had their own motivations to beat Smithy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's easy to twist facts to your favor. You can't say Geno was the ''hero'' of SMRPG under any definition of the term. SMRPG was a bit like Final Fantasy VI. There was no real hero (though Mario comes close, because children were used to see him as a hero). Each character had their own motivations to beat Smithy.
Well, it was called LEGEND OF THE 7 STARS...and the only person that really had to do with the stars was Geno...

Machspeed

Smash Lord
And Geno's motivation was the most important to the story and plot.

Regain the seventh star so those in Mushroom Kingdom could have their wishes granted again.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
And Geno's motivation was the most important to the story and plot.

Regain the seventh star so those in Mushroom Kingdom could have their wishes granted again.
You have to play SMRPG to know that. It is unlikely that Sakurai did.

He didn't need to play Ice Climber to know who was the main character.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
You have to play SMRPG to know that. It is unlikely that Sakurai did.

He didn't need to play Ice Climber to know who was the main character.
Sakurai doesn't go blindly adding characters to the roster; he does a bit of research before-hand. He chooses the characters who offer the most potential, in his eyes, to the roster.

Kind of like my Mortal Kombat Scorpion reference; a character that doesn't fit Smash, and Sakurai would definently dig in deep enough to figure that out.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
how you compared the Star Spirits with Geno is beyond me.
-both geno and and the star spirits need mario's help to collect stars

-both geno and a star spirit is playable
-twink is playable at one point in paper mario and by the end of the game he becomes a star spirit

-the only differences they have are that geno has some fans and that the star spirits are fully owned by nintendo while geno is not.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

-twink is playable at one point in paper mario and by the end of the game he becomes a star spirit

-the only differences they have are that geno has some fans and that the star spirits are fully owned by nintendo while geno is not.
WRONG!

Geno is a PARTNER, not a tool.

He's his own character.

He interacts with the other characters on an emotional level now and then unlike the star spirits that just say thank you and became tools afterwards.

And did you forget that the star spirits were the things you RESCUED in the game? I don't recall Geno being the main item to get in the game... But certainly the main partner.

Also, an interesting tibid. Square did toss around the idea to make Geno a MAIN CHARACTER in his OWN game for the sequel to SMRPG. They just never got around to it due to legal restrictions. Read up on your SMRPG history.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WRONG!

He's his own character.

He interacts with the other characters on an emotional level now and then unlike the star spirits that just say thank you and became tools afterwards.

And did you forget that the star spirits were the things you RESCUED in the game? I don't recall Geno being the main item to get in the game... But certainly the main partner.

Also, an interesting tibid. Square did toss around the idea to make Geno a MAIN CHARACTER in his OWN game for the sequel to SMRPG. They just never got around to it due to legal restrictions. Read up on your SMRPG history.
Ooh, very nice

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
WRONG!

He's his own character.

twink interacted with many characters too. And i had forgotten that you actually collected the star spirits, but they were the ones that granted people their wishes, and were the ones that sent mario on his adventure. They were also able to give mario special powers. And i dont think geno was ever able to do that.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
WRONG!

He's his own character.

As incredible as it might seem, it is possible that Sakurai doesn't care about such details.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Twink never traveled with you.

Geno had his OWN special attacks making it even better. Mario doesn't waste a turn doing some assisted attack and Geno can attack as well.

This is a very, very poor comparison.

@Mat: You are very ignorant, you know that? If Sakurai didn't care then Geno wouldn't have placed third on the poll and as incredible as it may sound to you, the polls DO matter. The polls DID have relevance. Sakurai opened the polls for a REASON.

He didn't do it so he could see who was popular or whatever. He did it to see which characters INTERESTED him. And you can sit here and deny it up and down all you want but Sakurai IS interested in him.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
okay.

big deal. Geno's with you the whole game and he actually helps you throughout it too.

Twink wasn't playable; all he did was follow Peach.

1. having fans is a good difference, because Geno is actually wanted.

2. Geno not being owned by Nintendo doesn't really stop Sakurai's judgment of him as a whole.

the comparison is ridiculous. yeah, they need Mario's help, but Geno was playable in a FUN way. he has a larger fanbase for a reason. enough strawman arguments.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As incredible as it might seem, it is possible that Sakurai doesn't care about such details.
Since you don't know Sakurai on a personal level, there is hardly any reason to present that as an arguement...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That works in both ways genius.
We weren't talking about Sakurai or why/if he likes/ cares about Geno, only YOU were...

We were talking about Geno, his game, etc

Stay in the arguement, unless that's too hard for you.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
I was referring to what you fanboys use as arguments most of the time...

''Sakurai likes retro''
''Sakurai is interested in Geno'' (the entries can be interpreted in different ways, we've discussed that)
''Sakurai does deep research and has played SMRPG''

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was referring to what you fanboys use as arguments most of the time...

''Sakurai likes retro''
''Sakurai is interested in Geno'' (the entries can be interpreted in different ways, we've discussed that)
''Sakurai does deep research and has played SMRPG''
Well, we do have proof he has some interest in Geno, since he listed him 5 times (and his unofficial theme) in his journal and asked around about the character...If that doesn't show interest I don't know what does

That's irrelevant to this discussion anyway

domriver

Smash Lord
Well, we do have proof he has some interest in Geno, since he listed him 5 times (and his unofficial theme) in his journal and asked around about the character...If that doesn't show interest I don't know what does

That's irrelevant to this discussion anyway
Hey PsychoIncarnate is that Journal around in the net? If you happen to have the link may I read it please? I've been trying to find it.

Top Bottom