• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ah, looks like someones getting emotional, and is letting his emotions slur in with his "facts" because even I will never say that Geno is or isn't getting in, only that is chances are remakably low.
...and as I said, I don't care. I thought his chances were a lot lower when I started supporting him.

I'll believe what I want to believe, because they're aren't enough facts to truthfully say anything either way

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
You need to wake up and realize that your opinions aren't changing anything. If you don't think he's popular, that is simply your problem. Can you provide us with evidence or proof that Geno actually wasn't a popular choice? Does it actually matter if he is well known? Also, why the hell would Square say no? Nintendo can say no to Cloud too you know. This game is going to sell INCREDIBLY well without the help of Cloud or Crono. For all I care they can just drop Square Enix entirely (forgive me Geno!). If Square Enix wants to be a hassle and try to sucker Nintendo into purchasing the rights to a character that simply isn't needed then let Nintendo make the sorry mistake. Cloud and all his little Final Fantasy buddies along with other Square Enix veterans could never represent a Nintendo game better than Geno. Square should feel honored if Nintendo wants to add one of their characters because they will make money. It isn't economically sound however to pay them 100k for a character that won't sell the game further than what it already will. The license to Geno however would most likely be cheap (free?) simply because he is a Mario character. We'll wait and see though. Until then, why don't you try providing us with facts other than the lame "1 game" argument.
Square would say no because Cloud makes them more money faster, and with less work and loss of money then attempting to revive the long dead Geno would be, and don't accuse me of using emotion, because all I have said are facts. Geno is a character who was a secondary character in one old game that isn't all that popular nowadays. That's all fact. Not opinion, and saying that I use emotion in my debates is the deepest form of hypocricy, as all I have seen on this entire thread is opinion and emotion, and no fact whatsoever that holds any water.

Square wouldn't feel honoured, they'd feel been taken advantage of. Nintendo gets off with having an old character that only Nintendo had a game of, meanwhile Square gets the raw end of the deal, having to give the rights of a character to a company with virtually no chance of being able to revive the character well enough to make any profit. Nintendo get's all of the profit off of Square and Square just gets headaches. Far from honor.

I've provided more than the fact that he's in one game, like the fact that he doesn 't have his own series, is a secondary character, in a game made over a decade ago, and is third party. All of the things that make his chances infinitely small.

'Nuff said.

Cless

Smash Champion
Those don't prove he's popular. They prove that Sakurai is interested in the character.

Square would say no because Cloud makes them more money faster, and with less work and loss of money then attempting to revive the long dead Geno would be, and don't accuse me of using emotion, because all I have said are facts. Geno is a character who was a secondary character in one old game that isn't all that popular nowadays. That's all fact. Not opinion, and saying that I use emotion in my debates is the deepest form of hypocricy, as all I have seen on this entire thread is opinion and emotion, and no fact whatsoever that holds any water.

Square wouldn't feel honoured, they'd feel been taken advantage of. Nintendo gets off with having an old character that only Nintendo had a game of, meanwhile Square gets the raw end of the deal, having to give the rights of a character to a company with virtually no chance of being able to revive the character well enough to make any profit. Nintendo get's all of the profit off of Square and Square just gets headaches. Far from honor.

I've provided more than the fact that he's in one game, like the fact that he doesn 't have his own series, is a secondary character, in a game made over a decade ago, and is third party. All of the things that make his chances infinitely small.

'Nuff said.
I'd say that be just desserts for Squeenix.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Geno wants to talk to you Jimmy.

EDIT- The fact of the matter is, Geno's popularity is the only thing keeping him alive at this moment in time. He hasn't been in a game for 11 years yet he's still being desired and wanted in games; I'd say that says something.

D

Deleted member

How do you know that all Square cares about is that $$$? =| You're just making assumptions. How do you know how they would feel? Again, assumptions.

Cless

Smash Champion
How else did he rank a 5 than?
He didn't he was mentioned on the pre-Dojo 4 times. Dedede was mentioned 5 times.

How do you know that all Square cares about is that $$$? =| You're just making assumptions. How do you know how they would feel? Again, assumptions.
Because Square ****** Nintendo out of FFs for Sony because they didn't want to work with carts. Besides, that's all any company cares about: profit.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He didn't he was mentioned on the pre-Dojo 4 times. Dedede was mentioned 5 times.
Geno was mentioned 1 time in the music section of that. They were asking for (as they put it) Geno's woods (theme)

and mentioned adding Geno as well

D

Deleted member

Sorry, I meant to say 4. =P

And that proves how popular he is. ^^

Geno was mentioned 1 time in the music section of that. They were asking for (as they put it) Geno's woods (theme)

and mentioned adding Geno as well
Nevermind. It was 5. ^^

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Capt Falcon Master, looking at this list of characters you support in comparison to disliking Geno, I think it's safe to say the only reason you don't like Geno is because you've never played the Super Mario RPG.

Cless

Smash Champion
Sorry, I meant to say 4. =P

And that proves how popular he is. ^^

Nevermind. It was 5. ^^
No, that proves that Sakurai found 4 suggestions that interested him and he decided to post them on the Dojo. You and I don't know how many Geno suggestions were sent in. Sakurai never made that known.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
its been brought up before but the poll isn't all that reliable, characters like james bond were on there and sonic did not even make an appearence.
That doesn't mean it's completely unreliable.

That just means there are more unknown variables

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
its been brought up before but the poll isn't all that reliable, characters like james bond were on there and sonic did not even make an appearence.
James Bond was obviously a joke and maybe the reason Sonic wasn't on it was the fact that he was planned to be in melee like snake but couldn't be in because of time constraints so he got in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

No, that proves that Sakurai found 4 suggestions that interested him and he decided to post them on the Dojo. You and I don't know how many Geno suggestions were sent in. Sakurai never made that known.
There must've been a lot than if Sakurai found out there was 4/5.

I know Ridley, Dedede, Ike and Diddy would have a lot. Maybe Geno has a lot too. Why? 'Cause he's popular.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Capt Falcon Master, looking at this list of characters you support in comparison to disliking Geno, I think it's safe to say the only reason you don't like Geno is because you've never played the Super Mario RPG.
i know that half of them wont be in brawl, they are just characters that i would have liked to see in there. Sure you can support him im fine with that. I just don't think he has a good chance of making it in.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
i know that half of them wont be in brawl, they are just characters that i would have liked to see in there. Sure you can support him im fine with that. I just don't think he has a good chance of making it in.
Answer the question, have you played the Super Mario RPG?
I really don't see the point in not liking a character from a series you've never even tried.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!

I wouldn't say completely unreliable.
ok ill give you that, but i think that you guys are relying to heavily on this poll. Diddy should have been in melee and so should have dedede. Ike is the new face of a series that has been rising in popularity. And what is geno? a secondary character in an old game? not quite on the same level as the other three.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice

'Nuff said.

Square Enix has very little say in what happens in Brawl, you do realize that right? There does not need to be a Square Enix representative at all. I mean do you sincerely believe that Cloud, of all characters, is less obscure than Geno? Cloud appeared in a third party game as a small cameo. I will give you the points that Cloud DOES have a large amount of fans and is insanely popular, but he is really a "Nintendo" character or does he even accurately portray Nintendo at all? I mean, really, if I said Cloud.. would Nintendo seriously come to mind? Besides, what is Square Enix going to do if Nintendo doesn't want to consult them for a character? I simply believe that Cloud would cost way too much money and wouldn't be a smart economic move on Nintendo's part depending on the contract.

Now I would like to address your opinion on Super Mario RPG's popularity. Perhaps you are unaware that Super Mario RPG is one of the most requested Wii VC titles?

Do you really believe that Square Enix, a company who holds very little relevance to the development of Brawl, is going to feel angry because Nintendo wants to maximize their profit over Square Enix's? Do you honestly believe that Nintendo cares about how Square Enix feels about not making a ton of money off of Brawl? This is a NINTENDO GAME. Square Enix is not helping to develop it. They aren't going to take 50% of the profits and that they will make millions of dollars off of it. Nintendo is most likely paying a fortune for Sonic the Hedgehog so why would they want to go ahead and pay a ton of more money for Cloud? Sonic is selling this game more than Megaman and Cloud combined could. Would you honestly not buy the game because Cloud isn't in it?

Lets discuss your "facts" shall we? I would like to say that you act like this is the first time we've seen these points. We deal with this crap at least once a week. I mean if they make you feel important, or smart then more power to you.

"He doesn't have his own series" - that is such a horrible argument it isn't even worth saying anything about. *looks at Jigglypuff and Pichu*

"He is a secondary character" - ".... that was created by Square Enix which makes his legal situation quite restrictive. However, because third party characters are now invited to appear in Brawl, Geno could appear as a playable character"

"in a game made over a decade ago" - *looks at Pit, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch*

"is third party" - *Looks at Sonic & Snake...*

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
ok ill give you that, but i think that you guys are relying to heavily on this poll. Diddy should have been in melee and so should have dedede. Ike is the new face of a series that has been rising in popularity. And what is geno? a secondary character in an old game? not quite on the same level as the other three.
We know Sakurai actually looked into Geno, or asked around about him...but other than the poll, there really isn't anything for anyone to rely on in the first place.

Worthiness for Brawl IS simply opinion about anyone

RDK

Smash Hero
Anyone else notice that the Ridley people just totaly butt-***** the Brawl Rooms again?

D

Deleted member

simply opinion, as was my statement, just saying...
Not really an opinion. If you look at SM:RPG storywise than you'll see what I was talking about.

See. Geno's quest was to rebuild Star Road that was destroyed by Smithy's henchman, Exor. So, being the Star Worrier that he truely was, he came down to Earth(?) and demanded help from Mario. When I mean demanded, I mean it in a nice way. Mario, Mallow, Peach and King Bowser successfully helped Geno on his quest to defeat Smithy.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Square Enix has very little say in what happens in Brawl, you do realize that right? There does not need to be a Square Enix representative at all. I mean do you sincerely believe that Cloud, of all characters, is less obscure than Geno? Cloud appeared in a third party game as a small cameo. I will give you the points that Cloud DOES have a large amount of fans and is insanely popular, but he is really a "Nintendo" character or does he even accurately portray Nintendo at all? I mean, really, if I said Cloud.. would Nintendo seriously come to mind? Besides, what is Square Enix going to do if Nintendo doesn't want to consult them for a character? I simply believe that Cloud would cost way too much money and wouldn't be a smart economic move on Nintendo's part depending on the contract.

Now I would like to address your opinion on Super Mario RPG's popularity. Perhaps you are unaware that Super Mario RPG is one of the most requested Wii VC titles?

Do you really believe that Square Enix, a company who holds very little relevance to the development of Brawl, is going to feel angry because Nintendo wants to maximize their profit over Square Enix's? Do you honestly believe that Nintendo cares about how Square Enix feels about not making a ton of money off of Brawl? This is a NINTENDO GAME. Square Enix is not helping to develop it. They aren't going to take 50% of the profits and that they will make millions of dollars off of it. Nintendo is most likely paying a fortune for Sonic the Hedgehog so why would they want to go ahead and pay a ton of more money for Cloud? Sonic is selling this game more than Megaman and Cloud combined could. Would you honestly not buy the game because Cloud isn't in it?

Lets discuss your "facts" shall we? I would like to say that you act like this is the first time we've seen these points. We deal with this crap at least once a week. I mean if they make you feel important, or smart then more power to you.

"He doesn't have his own series" - that is such a horrible argument it isn't even worth saying anything about. *looks at Jigglypuff and Pichu*

"He is a secondary character" - ".... that was created by Square Enix which makes his legal situation quite restrictive. However, because third party characters are now invited to appear in Brawl, Geno could appear as a playable character"

"in a game made over a decade ago" - *looks at Pit, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch*

"is third party" - *Looks at Sonic & Snake...*
I don't think they payed for Sonic because that would make sense "We want you to put Sonic in melee/brawl but you have to pay to use him." Same with Snake.

Top Bottom