• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Why wouldn't I? You make it sound like not a big deal - a developer spending money to make another company's game is definitely a big deal. To say that Cloud, who Nintendo has done absolutely nothing for, is just as important to Nintendo as Snake, who starred in a game which Nintendo remade on the GameCube, is a flat-out lie. The remake is the clear distinction between them, so of course I bring it up.

Cless

Smash Champion

Have you ever played his games?

Wait, don't answer that. You say "he doesn't do anything". Using a sword, operating a tank, using a lightning staff, being able to shoot fire, etc. are nothing, now. The ability to pick up objects and enemies, throw them, use objects, jump, duck, walk, run, talk, battle, etc. Everything Link is able to do, Slime is able to do.

What about that do you not get?
Yes, I have played his game. In Rocket Slime, he throws things and rolls. He doesn't do anything in DQ games or the DQM's I've played. Other slimes do. Slime doesn't. Even in the Chocobo spinoffs, all he does is attack with his claws and use Materia.

Let's look at the things that Link does in SSBB.

A moves
B moves
Jump
Double Jump
Grab
Throw
Use Items
Taunt
Final Smash
Duck
Climb
Swim

Are you implying that Slime is incapable of doing anything on that list?

Also, in DQ and DQM, he can use magic, such as Blaze.

Cless

Smash Champion
Whatever, I never kept the slime long in the GBC version. I went on to the phoenixes and dragons.

The blue slime can cast Blaze in DQ? I never kept it alive long enough to find out. Besides, what would his a moves be? Roll and roll some more? Flatten out on the ground? Link has limbs and weapons on him. Why not just put the Hero from like DQ V or VIII?

Slime Knight.

And the Hero from DQVIII hasn't been on a Nintendo console.

If they're going to pick anyone, they'll pick Slime or the old school star.

Cless

Smash Champion
I did say DQ V also. I'm pretty sure that was one of the most, if not the most, popular Dragon Quests. I just said VIII for familiarity for Western audiences.

The Slime Knight isn't the Slime though. The Slime Knight isn't Enix's mascot.

Too bad no one from Dragon Quest will be in Brawl.
Too bad no one from FF will be either.

Am I to understand that your ability to provide an argument has run its course, so you're just giving your misguided opinion that SE's biggest character in Japan is not important and presenting it as fact?

Don't answer that, the answer is pretty obvious (aka - you have).

Slime uses the Slime Knight in Heroes.

...If you played DQ Heroes, you played it for 20 minutes tops.

Especially when you said someone who uses a tank just "picks things up and rolls around".

Cless

Smash Champion
Am I to understand that your ability to provide an argument has run its course, so you're just giving your misguided opinion that SE's biggest character in Japan is not important and presenting it as fact?

Don't answer that, the answer is pretty obvious (aka - you have).
When did I say the Slime wasn't popular? I said he'd be a bad choice for a character.

I beat Heroes. I know that the suit of armor is in it. The Slime Knight and the Slime are separate enemies in DQ.

What does Rocket do with the tank? He throws things into it's cannons until the other tank's engine is vulnerable, and then he leaves the tank and destroys the engine. At no point does he actually drive the tank himself. He only calls it.

All you do in the game is roll around, solve puzzles, roll into enemies and items to be able to pick them up and then you ship them off to town.

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
I did say DQ V also. I'm pretty sure that was one of the most, if not the most, popular Dragon Quests. I just said VIII for familiarity for Western audiences.

The Slime Knight isn't the Slime though. The Slime Knight isn't Enix's mascot.

Too bad no one from FF will be either.
I know. Well at least Sora or Geno (unfortunately) has a chance.

When did I say the Slime wasn't popular? I said he'd be a bad choice for a character.
Let's see...

Popular
Recognizable
Stars in his own spin-off series
Mascot
Can have a moveset
Can do everything any character in SSB can do

What makes him bad? Because Cloud would be a better choice because he is teh rox?

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
Let's see...

Popular *WRONG*
Recognizable *that would be the smae thing as popular and WRONG*
Stars in his own spin-off series *spin-off..... T_T*
Mascot *WRONG yet again*
Can have a moveset * as can Chuck Norris or a Dalmation*
Can do everything any character in SSB can do *So can my Aunt Gertrude*
What makes him bad? Because Cloud would be a better choice because he is teh rox?
Why yes, that is why.

Why yes, that is why.
Wrong?

Square Enix establishes Slime as the series mascot - name a single DQ game in the history of time that hasn't prominently featured Slime. They sell Slime toys, a Slime PS2 controller, etc.

Your actual denouncing of all the reasons why Slime could work is not based on truth, but your own bias.

Cloud would be one of the worst character choices from SE. Slime would be one of the best, solely because SE is giving their biggest upcoming game in Japan to Nintendo.

Cless

Smash Champion
Let's see...

Popular
Recognizable
Stars in his own spin-off series
Mascot
Can have a moveset
Can do everything any character in SSB can do

I also said that Cloud would be a bad choice. The Slime can't do anything. All he does is roll into things, pick them up, and then throw them. He also apparently casts weak spells, that the Slime does not use in DQ games. Chocobo would be a good choice based off of those requirements, but neither he nor Mog would be all that great. No one character can truly represent an entire series unless the series is based around that character, like most Nintendo series.

Let's continue over PM if you want. Enough spamming the Geno boards.

I also said that Cloud would be a bad choice. The Slime can't do anything. All he does is roll into things, pick them up, and then throw them. He also apparently casts weak spells, that the Slime does not use in DQ games. Chocobo would be a good choice based off of those requirements, but neither he nor Mog would be all that great. No one character can truly represent an entire series unless the series is based around that character, like most Nintendo series.

Let's continue over PM if you want. Enough spamming the Geno boards.
If anyone wants to continue, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=127988

But that is not all he can do. If he can use a Slime Knight, he can be a sword user.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
If anyone wants to continue, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=127988

But that is not all he can do. If he can use a Slime Knight, he can be a sword user.
WTF? Slime seem's like too much of a WTF character (even for this game). And he is a third party, I doubt ANY third party would want to be represented by a WTF character, it's just too... weird, IT LOOKS LIKE A DROP OF WATER FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Geno, on the other hand, is popular, on the polls, great character (for example, HAS personality), and to top it off is a MARIO character, what could be better than being a mario character to fit in Brawl???

And may I remind you, this is the Geno thread, so stop talking about other characters (like Moogle and Chocobo, which BTW seem like the Toad equivalents in FF), and promoting your own... you sir PHAIL

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Yeah and in that guideline, where does it say that that appearance has to be substantial or relevant to Nintendo's history?
i believe logic suggests that, which is why characters like cloud and sora who have only appeared on one non-canonnical game on the GBA have no chance.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Yeah, Sora has no chance, I mean he doesn't have any mentions in the poll.[/sarcasm]
sora has a better chance than cloud, i'll give you that. but Sora still only appeared on a Nintendo console in one off-shoot of an otherwise Sony-exclusive franchise. At least Snake started on Nintendo, and was never exclusive to another system. and Sonic has had Nintendo-exclusive games for quite a few years now...

vesperview

Smash Hero
sora has a better chance than cloud, i'll give you that. but Sora still only appeared on a Nintendo console in one off-shoot of an otherwise Sony-exclusive franchise. At least Snake started on Nintendo, and was never exclusive to another system. and Sonic has had Nintendo-exclusive games for quite a few years now...
The reality of the situation is, that no Square Enix character really has that much of a chance, but if they were to include one, it would be someone who would sell the game like Cloud or Sora, not a Slime or a Moogle, despite how iconic or popular A Link to The Snitch thinks they are, Oh and Snake didn't start on Nintendo.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
The reality of the situation is, that no Square Enix character really has that much of a chance, but if they were to include one, it would be someone who would sell the game like Cloud or Sora, not a Slime or a Moogle and Snake didn't start on Nintendo.
i'd say Geno stands a fairly large chance, what with him and Ridley being the only two top-requested characters not to be confirmed yet. in my book, the both of them are shoe-ins.

and as for Snake, i think you're right. Metal Gear started on another early system, but was also released on NES long before Sony got their hands on the franchise. and even still, i think Metal Gear Solid 3 is the only core MGS game that Sony was able to keep to themselves.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
The reality of the situation is, that no Square Enix character really has that much of a chance, but if they were to include one, it would be someone who would sell the game like Cloud or Sora, not a Slime or a Moogle, despite how iconic or popular A Link to The Snitch thinks they are, Oh and Snake didn't start on Nintendo.
Yeah he did.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
If you look at the obstacles that prevent Geno from coming in you can see that his chances are very, very slim.

I mean, look at it this way: There are a fraction of secondary characters in Brawl, heck, I'll say 1/3. There's an even smaller amount of secondary characters that are retro In fact, there are none, but hey, it's not too straining on the imagination, so I'll say that it's a 1/6 chance for a character to be both a retro and a secondary character. Then there's the chance that there's a retro character that's a secondary character that's only been in one game. Now that's pretty slim, but it could happen, I suppose, so let's devide our fraction into a third, meaning now we have 1/18. Then the chance that that secondary, retro character that was only in one game is third party, and seeing as there will only be (most likely) three (at most) third party characters out of a rough estimate of a fourty character roster. Let's see, that's 3/40 of 1/18, so that's 0.00416... and then we factor in populairity, so that's taking off a third of that so now it's 0.0027... but seeing as it's on the poll, I'll ignore that. So now, we have Geno, who apparently has a 0.4 % chance. Mind you, this is a rough estimate, as this may be over or under a more accurate number.

So, Geno mathematically, would have an 0.4% chance, and everyone thinks that this is high? The facts do not lie, and all these numbers are smply based on facts drawn from simple common knowledge, and I sincerely hope that you people take my words to serious heart.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Perhaps you weren't following, but you can check the math, it's all correct. Take the fraction 1/3. Divide by two. 1/6. Divide by three. 1/18. Multiply by 3/40. 0.00416(repeating). Move decimal point two points, 0.4 (Rounded). That's the percentage.

Mind, this is only the most logical, mathematical conclusion, there could be another, more diffrent chances that might be smaller, but mathmatically is the only conclusion we can make that's irrefutabe based on the obstacles that Geno would have to miraculously break through to even have a good chance of getting in. I'm just asking that people look at the cold, hard, facts instead of looking at Geno through rose colored glasses.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Perhaps you weren't following, but you can check the math, it's all correct. Take the fraction 1/3. Divide by two. 1/6. Divide by three. 1/18. Multiply by 3/40. 0.00416(repeating). Move decimal point two points, 0.4 (Rounded). That's the percentage.

Mind, this is only the most logical, mathematical conclusion, there could be another, more diffrent chances that might be smaller, but mathmatically is the only conclusion we can make that's irrefutabe based on the obstacles that Geno would have to miraculously break through to even have a good chance of getting in. I'm just asking that people look at the cold, hard, facts instead of looking at Geno through rose colored glasses.
Well, they don't base the characters in Brawl on mathematical formula's so I don't even see what the point of this is in the first place

I don't even give a crap if he has a high chance or not

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Well, they don't base the characters in Brawl on mathematical formula's so I don't even see what the point of this is in the first place

I don't even give a crap if he has a high chance or not
Sigh, well I'm just taking the few facts that we do have and constuctively piecing them together into a solid, systematic formula that clearly illustrates his chances of getting in.

And I believe you should "give a crap" because if he doesn't have a high chance he won't get in Brawl, and thusly, all of your ideas of "what could have been" will all be for naught. All that will happen is that you thought Geno would get in, despite all of the facts and you were wrong. That's all. Them's the breaks. Like all of the seventh Harry Potter book theory sites, whenthe time comes and you're wrong, you're wrong, and everythingyou said didn't change anything and 99.6% of the time, the person who looks at the facts instead of opinion will be right.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sigh, well I'm just taking the few facts that we do have and constuctively piecing them together into a solid, systematic formula that clearly illustrates his chances of getting in.

And I believe you should "give a crap" because if he doesn't have a high chance he won't get in Brawl, and thusly, all of your ideas of "what could have been" will all be for naught. All that will happen is that you thought Geno would get in, despite all of the facts and you were wrong. That's all. Them's the breaks. Like all of the seventh Harry Potter book theory sites, whenthe time comes and you're wrong, you're wrong, and everythingyou said didn't change anything and 99.6% of the time, the person who looks at the facts instead of opinion will be right.
There are a way too many unknown variables to know ANYONE's chances so your stupid mathematical formula is flawed.

Stop trying to pretend you know what your talking about

Top Bottom