• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

icymatt

Smash Lord
Geno had a robotic voice in M&L because he was a little machine that explained a mini-game. It wasn't the REAL Geno.

I actually expect him to sound more alien. He is a star, afterall.

Stryks

Smash Hero
U mean u want him to be mute? That wouldnt work, he should have a voice no doubt, I dont remember if he talked in SM RPG, but the guy has to have a voice...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
They didn't technically have voices in Mario RPG, but all the characters except for Mario had plenty of dialogue (this was a Square game after all), so it goes without saying that Geno has a voice of some kind.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Yes, but the taunt and the finish are the only places the others ever talk so it only makes sense that those are the main points of interest.

Stryks

Smash Hero
But all the characters at least grunt or something when they attack and get damaged, u sayin that geno wont say **** when doin or receiving an attack?...

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
It doesn't have to be an actual word though they could make sound effecst easy enough for him I mean he is made ofwood they could do something with that.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
How about the yell when a character is sent flying into the background? Almost everyone screams Ahhhh! or Ohhhh! or something to that extent. As a matter of fact, Mr. Game and Watch is the only exception that comes to mind but Geno did have dialogue witch seperates them instantly. Human yells probabbly wouldn't fit Geno and I don't have a clue what wood sounds like when it yells...

Stryks

Smash Hero
He can say some words, like when after throwing/doin an attack he can say: "Take this!" or something kinda like capt falcon when he says falcon punch/kick...

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
How about the yell when a character is sent flying into the background? Almost everyone screams Ahhhh! or Ohhhh! or something to that extent. As a matter of fact, Mr. Game and Watch is the only exception that comes to mind but Geno did have dialogue witch seperates them instantly. Human yells probabbly wouldn't fit Geno and I don't have a clue what wood sounds like when it yells...
Ahhhhh or Ohhhh aren't exactly words though.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Basement, stop being an idiot. They're discussing what kind of voice Geno should have, because no matter WHAT he says, whether it's actual dialogue or just in-fighting grunts and howls of pain, he has to have SOME KIND of voice, or not. That's what everyone's talking about, and you know it. You're posting just for the sake of posting, and if you keep it up, I'm banning you.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I think he should just have grunts and screams. If he does talk it should just be his taunt and even then shouldnt be more then 1 or 2 words. A phrase at tops. It would be annoying if he said something everytime he attacks.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Basement, stop being an idiot. They're discussing what kind of voice Geno should have, because no matter WHAT he says, whether it's actual dialogue or just in-fighting grunts and howls of pain, he has to have SOME KIND of voice, or not. That's what everyone's talking about, and you know it. You're posting just for the sake of posting, and if you keep it up, I'm banning you.
I'm not posting for the sake of posting they said what kind opf voice and even implied that he would have dialogue Little McFoxy, so I believe he shouldn't have dialogue I said nothing against grunts or screams now did I?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It doesn't have to be an actual word though they could make sound effecst easy enough for him I mean he is made ofwood they could do something with that.
Yeah, because you know how often you're walking through a forest and the wood starts grunting and screaming. You're just disagreeing with everything everyone is posting, no matter what it is.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
I think it is almost a unanimous decision amongst the group of us (with the exception of...well....one person) that he should have dialogue. Now, what do you think he would say exactly?

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Yeah, because you know how often you're walking through a forest and the wood starts grunting and screaming. You're just disagreeing with everything everyone is posting, no matter what it is.
If he is a living thing (or something or another being possessed and what not) he should have some sort of grunt, but he was rather the strong silent type in the game I don't think actual dialogue is appropriate.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
If he is a living thing (or something or another being possessed and what not) he should have some sort of grunt, but he was rather the strong silent type in the game I don't think actual dialogue is appropriate.
But he DID speak. You can't argue that, he had ****ing dialogue. Secondly, if this an "advanced lifeform" could possess and give life to an inanimate object, then you would imagine they would give it the ability to communicate...or did they forget that between the Geno Blast and the Geno Whirl?

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
There is no point. He spoke, he would have dialogue, if only small pieces, he wouls have dialogue. End. Of. Story.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
There is no point. He spoke, he would have dialogue, if only small pieces, he wouls have dialogue. End. Of. Story.
Bowser talks excessively throughout the Mario series and he never talks in Melee. In other words, I think he should just have sounds and noises rather than full blown dialogue. There are very few times if at all when a character talks in the game.

Edit: By in the game I mean Melee.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Bowser talks excessively throughout the Mario series and he never talks in Melee. In other words, I think he should just have sounds and noises rather than full blown dialogue. There are very few times if at all when a character talks in the game.
Even still, he was a protagonist, more so, one that is wildly popular. Falcon speaks, Fox Speaks, Peach speaks, Falco speaks, Marth speaks, Roy speaks. If these characters speak then Geno should be allowed at least minimal dialogue as well.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Even still, he was a protagonist, more so, one that is wildly popular. Falcon speaks, Fox Speaks, Peach speaks, Falco speaks, Marth speaks, Roy speaks. If these characters speak then Geno should be allowed at least minimal dialogue as well.
What I am saying is that Bowser does speak alot and still doesn't have any dialogue whereas Geno isn't known to be a heavy talker in SMRPG so I doubt they would give him phrases like "take this" or "come on." That and he is very intelligent and wouldn't say something as typical as "bring it" or something to that extent having only spoken when it called for him to do so. Just as Samus is intelligent and has spoken before (Metroid Fusion) she doesn't speak in Melee. However, I wouldn't rule out dialogue all together, save only for his taunt or victory poses.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Mario doesn't your point has holes in it.
No, there are no holes. I am saying that these characters got some, then he should too. I didn't say that there was some sort of hierarchy of deserving characters, I just said that if all these characters aer allowed to speak, then there is nothing to keep Geno from speaking as well. Don't look for problems that aren't there basement.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Ok, well Fusion came out in 2002 and 2003 in The US, and Japan, respectively. SSBM came out in 99' so that falls through. Peach RARELY ever speaks, except for "ZOMG MARIO SAVE ME!!!!" Yet she has a speaking taunt, and as far as I know, the LONGEST victory taunt in the game "Ohhh, did I win?!" SO that point is also irrelevant. On that note I am leaving for a few hours so this conversation will be discussed further at a later date.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Ok, well Fusion came out in 2002 and 2003 in The US, and Japan, respectively. SSBM came out in 99' so that falls through. Peach RARELY ever speaks, except for "ZOMG MARIO SAVE ME!!!!" Yet she has a speaking taunt, and as far as I know, the LONGEST victory taunt in the game "Ohhh, did I win?!" SO that point is also irrelevant. On that note I am leaving for a few hours so this conversation will be discussed further at a later date.
Peach talks constantly in Paper Mario then which was released during the same time period hence a trophy as well. Also I am going to bring up a better argument than my previous one. Geno falls under the category as "strong of character." Mario and Samus are examples of this. The characters that do speak in Melee are people that generally enjoy and/or get a rush out of fighting. Peach never fights so of course she is going to talk in her victory pose. However Mario and Samus hardly ever talk because they fight for a reason whereas the others fight for fun and although there is no story in Melee each character generally reflects their own attitudes if set in their own games. Geno was sent by a higher authority and thus fights for a reason that and he was fighting for everyone's wishes.

Edit: I am aware that people who fight for a reason can talk and even brag but being strong of character is different although it shares some similiarity. I just realized that this is a hard point to explain.

Top Bottom