• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

*Firefly*

Smash Journeyman
'baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more'

Err, I think we will just have to wait to see whether geno is in, It's kinda 50/50 so you never know.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
'baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more'

Err, I think we will just have to wait to see whether geno is in, It's kinda 50/50 so you never know.
More than 50/50, he would be a shoe in if it wasn't for those d*** rights. If I was Sakurai, I would just buy the rights and then add him as 1st party. The next Smash will be a high budget game which is funny since the first Smash was a low budget game. Anyway yeah, IMO I think that Geno is at about 80-85% as a third party and 100% if he is 1st party. Just my guessing anyway.

*Firefly*

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, we don't know what square is planning to do with Geno.
but I heard that this was the last SSB game, and that the guy who is making it didn't want to make anymore.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I heard that aswell, however depending on the success of Brawl I believe there will be another on thier next console just made by a different person.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Okay, so im not crazy. But how good will another SSB be if its made by someone else?
Who knows? They only wanted Sakurai to make it and if he had turned them down then they would have appointed someone else or cancelled it. I don't think they trust anyone else with their most successful series. The fact that they gave Sakurai an entire studio to himself all for Smash leads me to believe that although he can do whatever he wants, he will still probabbly keep the series alive as you can see it did benifit him well. In other words, he got his own studio for one game so he will most likely keep the series alive. That is all just my opinion though.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I just want Brawl right now, they can think about part four later. I mean, we don't even know a quarter of the stuff in Brawl and for all we know, they might not be able to make an even better part afterwards. Think about it, we now have three completely new things in Brawl alone :

-Online Play
-3rd Party Characters
-Super Moves

We have only scratched the surface and let me tell you, the surface alone looks good...

DokturSea

Smash Lord
More than 50/50, he would be a shoe in if it wasn't for those d*** rights. If I was Sakurai, I would just buy the rights and then add him as 1st party. The next Smash will be a high budget game which is funny since the first Smash was a low budget game. Anyway yeah, IMO I think that Geno is at about 80-85% as a third party and 100% if he is 1st party. Just my guessing anyway.
Saying he'd "be a shoe in" is quite a statement. I have to disagree. He's been in one game. When most people think of Mario, they usually don't think of SMRPG. I am willing to bet that a lot of people, if they saw Geno in Brawl would say "Who?" Yes, he's pretty cool and his fanbase is very loyal, but saying hes "a shoe in" is very, very bold.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Saying he'd "be a shoe in" is quite a statement. I have to disagree. He's been in one game. When most people think of Mario, they usually don't think of SMRPG. I am willing to bet that a lot of people, if they saw Geno in Brawl would say "Who?" Yes, he's pretty cool and his fanbase is very loyal, but saying hes "a shoe in" is very, very bold.
You must not know just how much of a fanbase he has. SMRPG is 10 years old and it still has several, SEVERAL fans. You need to take a look at the petition list they have for a remake. It is like around 20,000 or something like that. He has the potential of an original moveset and has moves that stand out from everyone else's, for instance the Geno Beam. To say he isn't popular is ridiculous, look at Sakurai's Poll. Sure, some people won't know who he is but that just opens them up to a game they would want to play which just benefits Nintendo all the more. Look at the FE characters. Defensive, yes, but as a Geno fan, you gotta do what you gotta do.

P.S. *Firefly* it is the definition of zesty.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I stand corrected, there are 22,000 signatures.

Edit: You are absolutely right Dweller. 22,000 signatures and comments will not sway a company in the least.

*Firefly*

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't mean that Geno has a great chance of being in.
Also, that has NOTHING to do with the petition. Stay on topic with the current conversation.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Fine, I will bring up a point. Nintendo and Square have this petetion of 22,000 sigs hanging in the air, they are obviously on good terms with the FFXII game and the Mario Hoops 3 on 3 game, they both love money. I don't know, it seems like they could make a remake. To rule it out completely is just plain stupid. Geno has a high rank on Sakurai's poll so there is obviously a fanbase and Nintendo knows this.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Well I was just argueing about a remake. But chance wise, he stands a great shot. He is high ranked on Sakurai's poll even outranking megaman, he brings an intresting moveset to the field, he represents the bond between Nintendo and Square what with being in the first game they made together, he has a huge fanbase, and Square has no intention on using him anytime soon so it would be easy to borrow him and it would only benefit them in the process. Honestly, you are in a Geno support thread with a thousand replies, did you think we wouldn't have any good reasons as to why he would make it?

*Firefly*

Smash Journeyman
Well I think he has a good chance, but things can come up.(which is why I said there are people more likely to get in than him)

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Woo, the official Geno thread!

This thread will encompass all specific talk about Geno, the star-possessed scarecrow doll from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! So let's get right to it:

List of games Geno has appeared in:
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

So that's it. :p

Geno as he appeared in Mario RPG.

Geno as he appeared in Superstar Saga.

Geno as he appeared in this picture that I drew. :p

Geno would make an excellent addition to the Smash Brothers series. He could easily be a short-range fighter with some projectile attacks. The character from Melee he'd be most like is probably Ness. He'd have similar height and weight as Ness, and probably also have a non-traditional second jump.

Since I love the character so much, I've decided to make an entire moveset for him. :p So here we go...

A - Standard punch.
A-A - One-two punch.
A-A-A-repeated - Geno's hands suck in, and he starts blasting stars out of his arms. This is a combo attack, and the stars do not travel very far before disappearing.

Tilt-A-Up - Geno kicks straight up with one leg, similar to Sheik. Considering he's only a doll, he should be the most flexible character in the game. :p
Tilt-A-forward - Geno does the finger shot. Several pellets shoot out of his four fingers, traveling a short distance before disappearing.
Tilt-A-Down - A sweeping ground kick, similar to Ness.

Smash-A-Up - Geno sticks both hands straight up, and then spreads them, leaving a trail of stars where his hands were. Has a high knockback.
Smash-A-Forward - Geno fires his hand straight forward. It travels a good distance before disappearing and reappearing back on his arm.
Smash-A-Down - Geno does a split, kicking both legs out sideways.

Aerial-A-Neutral - Geno spins in a circle, with arms outstretched. His hands emit a small trail of stars.
Aerial-A-Up - Geno flips, kicking, like Kirby.
Aerial-A-Forward - Geno kicks both feet forward, perpendicular to the screen.
Aerial-A-Down - Geno does his finger shot straight down. The pellets travel a small distance before disappearing.
Aerial-A-Backward - Geno kicks one foot backwards, spinning in a circle.

B-Neutral - Geno charges up the Geno Beam. The longer you hold it, the more powerful the move gets (until it gets to its maximum charge, that is). The move, unlike other "shooting" moves like Samus' Charge Shot or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, shoots across the entire stage, staying attached to Geno during the duration of the attack. To make up for it's large range, it's a relatively slow-moving attack.
B-Up - Geno spreads his arms and flies upward. A trail of stars extends behind him, which damages opponents until they disappear.
B-Forward The Geno Whirl, from Mario RPG. Geno swings his arm in a horizontal arc, sending a series of circles across the stage horizontally. This is a very quick-move. Also, if you press B again at the exact right instant, anyone hit by the Whirl's damage goes straight to 999% (Just kidding. ;))
B-Down - The Geno Blast. Geno plants himself, and a series of multicolored lights rain down from the heavens on either side of him.

Super Move - The Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon, and shoots a spark into the center of the stage. The spark grows a face, blinks, and then explodes.

Check the Flash version!

I would love playing as this character. Too bad I'm not working on this game. Not that my ideas are better than other people's, just that I would love working on the game. :p

Here's hoping we see our favorite star-powered hero appearing in Brawl! :)

*EDIT* I contacted Nintendo about who owns Geno:

So, as of now, Geno is still the property of Square-Enix. That being the case, Square would have to lend Geno back to Nintendo in order for him to appear in Smash.

That said, I see no reason why Square would not lend the character. However, there was a ton of confusion about the subject, so I went right to the source. Geno is currently owned by Square.

I see why you liked that Flash so much

Sweet, sweet, victory

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
We are making marionettes (puppets) in Spanish class currently so I have decided to make one that looks like Geno. It is coming along quite nicely actually. I can't wait to see the final version. Anyone else ever drew a picture or made something or bought an item with Geno's likeness?

Zeeb

Smash Cadet
I think that they should make one of his alternate costumes really girly... and what kind of sounds will he make when he gets hit... i don't think he said a word in MarioRPG.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Basement Dweller you post on this forum 20 TIME A DAY. I wouldn't be talking about other people doing school projects as not having a life.

Kenny, definitely post some pics when it's done.

And Zeeb, in Mario & Luigi, he had kind of a robotic-sounding voice. He didn't actually have a voice, he just made robotic sounds. We were talking earlier in this thread, and several of us thought that having Alan Rickman voice him would be awesome (he plays Snape in the Harry Potter movies, among other things). Not that Nintendo is exactly in the business of hiring celebrities to voice their characters, but a similar drawl to Rickman's would be appropriate, I think.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
If anything it'd be similar to G&W. He doesn't speak, he just makes electronic sounds, the ones you would expect from old G&W handhelds. He would make robotic sounds. Sorry for restating your point McFox.

Top Bottom