• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

BMunich16

Smash Apprentice
As far as I know, chaingrabbing is a hard thing to master, why ban something that takes skill like that? Unless it is an infinite grab, that just gets old real fast.

Hive

Smash Lord
lol compared to actual gameplay cgs are ridiculously easier imo ^^

still, cgs shouldn't be banned... maybe infinites though (i would like), but only if the community is willing to be consistent about these kinds of things imo and not ban say infinites and then ban planking which have basically the same ideas behind them.

just my thoughts ^^

Death01

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mahuwah
3DS FC
3282-4075-7165
how old is this? anywasy cging is not so ridiculous it going to be banned and i am glad only infinites are. lol. CGing has at least 6 ways to get out of it. DI, jump, an attack, or your up b, or something.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If we ban this, we might as well go ban Sheik's CG on Bowser in Melee to make him more playable.

Yeah, no.

Death01

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mahuwah
3DS FC
3282-4075-7165
If we ban this, we might as well go ban Sheik's CG on Bowser in Melee to make him more playable.

Yeah, no.
i've been in tournaments where they banned infinte chain grabs and limited the Ice climbers Alternative grabs to like 6 i think. Infinites are different from reglular cging since its infinite. and you get out of it if you get lucky. lol.
I am saying CGing regular should be legal.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Bad advice aside.
Don't get grabbed.
The primary escape from chain grabs are just to avoid them.
Play in a way to watch yourself, space right, defensive, camp if you have to.

If you see a chain grab coming, then it's up to you to avoid it. You can change your strategy to avoiding the chain grab completely, while punishing your opponent's attempts, or you can play normally and just risk getting caught in one.

It's a learning curve in competitive play, adjusting to the situation.
Skill requirement is not a consideration for legalization in competitive play.
If it's easy to do, then that's a plus, all the more reason to do it.
The goal is to rack up damage, and a chain grab does that job well. It should--and will--stay legal, it's a viable way to rack up damage, and completely avoidable with the proper mindset.

Death01

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mahuwah
3DS FC
3282-4075-7165
Bad advice aside.
Don't get grabbed.
The primary escape from chain grabs are just to avoid them.
Play in a way to watch yourself, space right, defensive, camp if you have to.

If you see a chain grab coming, then it's up to you to avoid it. You can change your strategy to avoiding the chain grab completely, while punishing your opponent's attempts, or you can play normally and just risk getting caught in one.

It's a learning curve in competitive play, adjusting to the situation.
Skill requirement is not a consideration for legalization in competitive play.
If it's easy to do, then that's a plus, all the more reason to do it.
The goal is to rack up damage, and a chain grab does that job well. It should--and will--stay legal, it's a viable way to rack up damage, and completely avoidable with the proper mindset.
i get chain grabbed some times and chain grab as well and I agree with you. i was just saying ppl are complaining too much. and if you do get grabbed if you main wario for instance you can jump right out of A fairly good King Dedede's grabs (if you get grabed, ive done it) oh and yes just try to avoid grabs or if you can CG them, do it, and rack up damage. trust me they will say the same thing and do the same to you or agree with you that it is a good skill to have.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
How about Wario's d-throw 0-death? (20-death on Wolf and 52-death on Falco). Should it be banned?

Sukai

Smash Champion
How about Wario's d-throw 0-death? (20-death on Wolf and 52-death on Falco). Should it be banned?
No, because it depend entirely on if Wario can get the grab in.
Since it's an infinite, it should at the least be limited, like Dedede's wall infinite.

Death01

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mahuwah
3DS FC
3282-4075-7165
no, its not an infinite on medium weight or light weight characters. heavy weights possibly, but thats it. i think its still considered a chain grab, that can btw be DI out of or attacked out of if your quick enough. trust me. or avoid it all together.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Don't get grabbed? that's like saying don't get hit, or don't miss. If you don't get grabbed, not once, you are playing against a complete newbie or you are playing a character that is very difficult to grab(wario, jiggs).

"Don't get grabbed" <-- that's crappy advice. It won't happen. Chaingrabs are one thing, but infinites are another. With D3's grab range, saying "Don't get grabbed" while you're playing as DK, Luigi, or any other character he can infinite is mind-stompingly stupid. What if a character had an attack that did 200% damage that had the same speed and range and OOS capabilities as D3's grab, would you say it should be banned? Or would you, like a *******, say "don't get hit lol"

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It really does depend on the character you're using against icies.
Characters such as snake, mk, rob, marth, kirby, gw etc can easily not get grabbed.
Others however are ****ed. Such as ganon, dk, falcon, bowser

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
any chaingrab/infinate that makes a matchup ALMOST unwinnable should be banned the major ones being, Ness and Lucas-Marth and Charizard infinaate. DDD to the 5 people, and maybe the pikachu to fox chaingrab. IC's are fine because there game revolves around the infinates, marth pika, ddd, marth and whoever there game does not revolve around said infinates, to them its just " o ok they play said characters, i'll just do this to them."

swordgard

Smash Hero
Don't get grabbed? that's like saying don't get hit, or don't miss. If you don't get grabbed, not once, you are playing against a complete newbie or you are playing a character that is very difficult to grab(wario, jiggs).

"Don't get grabbed" <-- that's crappy advice. It won't happen. Chaingrabs are one thing, but infinites are another. With D3's grab range, saying "Don't get grabbed" while you're playing as DK, Luigi, or any other character he can infinite is mind-stompingly stupid. What if a character had an attack that did 200% damage that had the same speed and range and OOS capabilities as D3's grab, would you say it should be banned? Or would you, like a *******, say "don't get hit lol"
Did i make your opinion shift toward this?
lolololol

XienZo

Smash Lord

"Don't get grabbed" is more IC advice, since they have a pitiful grab range. For DDD, the advice is "Don't use the 5 characters against him", although whether or not that is actually appropriate versus banning the infinite has been hotly debated in the past.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Although chaingrabs can be pretty unfair at times, I don't think they should be banned. The fact that they appeared in both Melee and Brawl kind of suggests that it was, at least partially intentional. The way I see it, chaingrabs are like combos, except with throws instead. Someone who has a 0-death chaingrab is like someone who had a 0-death combo in Melee, or near enough. Both are inescapable if done right, and they can carry on until killing percentages. Feel free to disagree if you want, but that's the way I feel.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
Although chaingrabs can be pretty unfair at times, I don't think they should be banned. The fact that they appeared in both Melee and Brawl kind of suggests that it was, at least partially intentional. The way I see it, chaingrabs are like combos, except with throws instead. Someone who has a 0-death chaingrab is like someone who had a 0-death combo in Melee, or near enough. Both are inescapable if done right, and they can carry on until killing percentages. Feel free to disagree if you want, but that's the way I feel.
Its also just killing potential for many characters. Chain grabs are probably the closest thing to combos we have in brawl these days since a lot of the hit stun and stuff was taken from melee.

Krono

Smash Rookie
CG are probably the best you can do in brawl but you still need to be good enough to do them, and do them well =)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
There are far too many stickies, so I'll unsticky this for now.
Other topics about chaingrabbing are already popping up, while I had to close zero when this was stickied -.-.

Top Bottom