• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The OFFICIAL Bomberman Thread~

B.W.

Smash Champion
Actually, yeah, he is a robot.

Someone doesn't know their B-man history. 0_o Lol.
Really? You sure? I don't remember ever reading anything about Bomberman being a robot... I always thought he was a guy in a silly lookin' suit. (It's an awesome suit, but you can't deny that it's silly lookin' too.)

EDIT: Also, I don't know who saw it and who didn't, but I had my own moveset posted on page 6 if anyone wants to look over that for ideas.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Really? You sure? I don't remember ever reading anything about Bomberman being a robot... I always thought he was a guy in a silly lookin' suit. (It's an awesome suit, but you can't deny that it's silly lookin' too.)
Well, he certainly was a robot in the first game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberman

I don't know if it was ever any explicit indication of that fact in any of the games that followed, except for maybe the notorious Act Zero, but it's pretty much just been generally assumed that he's a robot ever since...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Bomberman was originally a robot created to make bombs in an underground factory. I think he makes a wish at the end of the game once he escapes the factory? :confused:

He had a pretty wierd origin, but then..Mario's premise was even wackier...

Tails for brawl

Smash Ace
Bomberman was originally a robot created to make bombs in an underground factory. I think he makes a wish at the end of the game once he escapes the factory? :confused:

He had a pretty wierd origin, but then..Mario's premise was even wackier...
hek yea it is a itlan plummber i mean ....................it just kinda dum

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I like the blam dunk down smash. Imo, it seems like a fitting maneuver because Bomberman has more attitude than Sonic. If he had a mouth, he would be cursing like a sailor and he just strikes me as an in-your-face kind of Smash character.

RDK

Smash Hero
I like the blam dunk down smash. Imo, it seems like a fitting maneuver because Bomberman has more attitude than Sonic. If he had a mouth, he would be cursing like a sailor and he just strikes me as an in-your-face kind of Smash character.
Lol, that's exactly how I pictured he would be. Although I like the fact that he doesn't talk, like some of the other characters do, as it only adds to his personality / coolness.

His gameplay / handling revolves around an explosive and bombastic moveset, and yet B-man just always seems so calm and under control.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been hoping for Bomberman's inclusion since the Melee poll!!!

Don't dissapoint me!!!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
we had a descion over that but i forgot how it went
I think we decided that having each of his moves a different element was a bit too gimmicky, but there could be a random chance of any of his bombs being elemental. At least, that's the opinion I ended up having.
Did the DMTVWF footage give anyone new insights as to how the B-Man might function in Brawl?
Nope. They didn't show enough of Bomberman for me to get any new ideas.
how do you counter someone when they use the old "Bomberman is a boring character. He's just a regular man who throws bombs?"
This is a post from the old thread that ended up converting vesperview:
Yeah, so? Pikachu only hits people with electricity. Marth only swings a sword. DK only hits things with his body. What's it matter?
The cool part is HOW he USES the bombs, and WHAT bombs he uses.

B.W.

Smash Champion
i like the mine ideal
Thanks to the both of you, and yes, the Blam Dunk was one of the ideas I was actually sure about. And I laughed at the cursing like a sailor thing.. Mostly because that's the **** truth.

I think we decided that having each of his moves a different element was a bit too gimmicky, but there could be a random chance of any of his bombs being elemental. At least, that's the opinion I ended up having.

I came in here and said the exact same thing about the random pulling of an elemental bomb.. RDK said that's what was decided on.

This is a post from the old thread that ended up converting vesperview:
Cubelarooso said:
Yeah, so? Pikachu only hits people with electricity. Marth only swings a sword. DK only hits things with his body. What's it matter?
The cool part is HOW he USES the bombs, and WHAT bombs he uses.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I was typing up a whole Bomberman argument's countered thing, then my page decided to close lol. Here’s the most common argument countered, I’ll add more when I can be bothered.

Bomberman arguments countered.

1. All he does is throw bombs.

What else do you want him to do? Conduct an army of ants? Use an axe? His name is Bomberman. To say that Bomberman won't be in Brawl because all he would use are bombs is sheer ignorance. That's who he is, bombs are his being. Of course if he's going to be in Brawl he's going to use bombs, and if he didn't use bombs, it wouldn't feel right because that wouldn't be Bomberman. Who would be stupid enough to include Bomberman, then deprive him of his bombs. That would be the most illogical move in the history of the world. In fact, using bombs sets him apart from the other characters and would therefore add more variety to the Brawl roster, something everyone wants.

And it’s hardly like the confirmed characters have the most eclectic movesets ever. It’s not like Sonic only uses his spindash…..

Oh wait…

Patinator

Smash Champion
And it’s hardly like the confirmed characters have the most eclectic movesets ever. It’s not like Sonic only uses his spindash…..

Oh wait…
I can sum those two lines up in two words: PURE. WIN.

So... Is the Bomb Squad like R.I.D.L.E.Y. or the Geno Alliance?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I was typing up a whole Bomberman argument's countered thing, then my page decided to close lol. Here’s the most common argument countered, I’ll add more when I can be bothered.

Bomberman arguments countered.

1. All he does is throw bombs.

What else do you want him to do? Conduct an army of ants? Use an axe? His name is Bomberman. To say that Bomberman won't be in Brawl because all he would use are bombs is sheer ignorance. That's who he is, bombs are his being. Of course if he's going to be in Brawl he's going to use bombs, and if he didn't use bombs, it wouldn't feel right because that wouldn't be Bomberman. Who would be stupid enough to include Bomberman, then deprive him of his bombs. That would be the most illogical move in the history of the world. In fact, using bombs sets him apart from the other characters and would therefore add more variety to the Brawl roster, something everyone wants.

Oh wait…
Most excellent. You sir, win an internet.

RDK

Smash Hero
Great job with the arguments, guys--I'll add Cube's and ~N9NE~'s to the front page.

RDK

Smash Hero
Here are a bunch of possible stage ideas from B64. Of course, they wouldn't me isometric in Braw--they would probably be 2D with platforms and walkways.

Pyramid:

Up & Down:

Greedy Trap:

Field of Grass:

King's Castle:

Space Ship:

Sky Tower:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@ RDK add a couple of those stages to the first post.

Here's some more arguments countered.

2. Megaman/Geno/someone else are more deserving of a 3rd party slot.​

Bomberman deserves to occupy a third party slot. Simple as that. A gaming icon with a long history on Nintendo consoles, he would be a perfect third party inclusion. Easily the thing that benefits Bomberman the most is that Hudson and Nintendo have a great relationship. In fact their relationship is tighter then Captain Falcon’s attire. Hudson are trusted by Nintendo to the level that Nintendo allowed them to work on the Mario name in the Mario Party series. If that’s not a good relationship, tell me what is. The fact that Nintendo and Hudson work so closely together means that Bomberman could easily be given permission to be in Brawl without any major difficulties. It would not only benefit Brawl and Nintendo, but increase awareness of upcoming Bomberman and Hudson titles. Bomberman also appeals to all markets, with several Japanese only releases. Acquiring Bomberman from Hudson would be easier for Nintendo then adding other third party characters.

Bomberman is a logical third party inclusion. However further points add to the argument for his inclusion. He has experience of SSB style gaming. He appeared in DreamMix TV World Fighters for the GameCube. No other third party character other then Bomberman has appeared on a SSB style game on a Nintendo console. Oh except for Snake…he was in DreamMix aswell. Look where he is now.

‘But Megaman is more popular.’

Who says there will only be one more third party character? Both Bomberman and Megaman could get in.

‘Geno was in a Mario game.’

Bomberman also appeared in a Nintendo game, namely Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! which was released in 1994 on Game Boy. In the game, Wario one day stumbles upon Bomberman's world, and, being the greedy sort he is, decides to loot it for his own gain. Bomberman is the only one that stands between Wario and the complete decimation of his world.

He’s appeared in titles with Nintendo characters, has SSB style experience and his company have an excellent relationship with Nintendo. He would be perfect as one of the third party inclusions.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
From Wikipedia:

'In May 1998, Nintendo and Hudson began a strategic partnership to design and develop games together for both the N64 and the Game Boy. Mario Party was the first of the games that the partnership released. The game also marked the start of a move by Nintendo to franchise off the Mario series to other developers, including Camelot Software Planning.'

People have stated that Nintendo own shares in Hudson but I haven't seen any proof. If I'm wrong just ignore my post.

RDK

Smash Hero
From Wikipedia:

'In May 1998, Nintendo and Hudson began a strategic partnership to design and develop games together for both the N64 and the Game Boy. Mario Party was the first of the games that the partnership released. The game also marked the start of a move by Nintendo to franchise off the Mario series to other developers, including Camelot Software Planning.'

People have stated that Nintendo own shares in Hudson but I haven't seen any proof. If I'm wrong just ignore my post.
I read in some stock article that Konami owns about 52%, while Nintendo owns around 30%.

Also, the argument section on the first page has been updated. Good job, ~N9NE~.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Thanks.. you might want to edit my first line though.

'Bomberman deserves to occupy a third party slot. Simple as that.' Looking at it now I realise it's a bit biased for what's meant to be a counter argument.

RDK

Smash Hero
Thanks.. you might want to edit my first line though.

'Bomberman deserves to occupy a third party slot. Simple as that.' Looking at it now I realise it's a bit biased for what's meant to be a counter argument.
Alright, fixed.

Also, I think we should find someone who's really good at spriting to make one of those stages into a 2D Brawl stage to post on the first page.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah that would be sweet. There are plenty of people on this forum who can do that sort of stuff, jus got to find someone willing to do it.

Also I sent Hudson an email asking to clear up if Nintendo owns any shares. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

RDK

Smash Hero
Lol, I wouldn't expect anything but a generic, non-topic response from some Nintendo PR person who is too busy to answer your question.

You have to remember that they probably get about a million e-mails a day, as do most large businesses / corporations. Wading through all that junk is no easy feat.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah I'm not too hopeful either but it's worth a shot if it could potentially clear this thing up.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you put a lot of effort into this! Bomberman is partially owned by Nintendo, but also by Konami, which boosts the chance a lot. I don't see any reason why Nintendo would reject Bomberman for Brawl, other than Pac-Man as a WTF?! character, and we still have the fact Hudson is partially 2nd party. I think he would add a huge amount of fun to the game, just like G&W and his bacon attack.....Okay, not a good comparison...

btw, May I join the Bomb squad?

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
Pyramid was my favorite multi-player stage.

I actually played the games for the single player, I didn't have many people to play with in multilayer... Maybe if there's a Bomberman for the Wii I could experience what the game was really about?

But I really enjoyed the single player for all of the games, except Jetters/Generations...

RDK

Smash Hero
btw, May I join the Bomb squad?
Sure, we need all the supporters we can get.

Pyramid was my favorite multi-player stage.

I actually played the games for the single player, I didn't have many people to play with in multilayer... Maybe if there's a Bomberman for the Wii I could experience what the game was really about?

But I really enjoyed the single player for all of the games, except Jetters/Generations...
That's why I'm hoping they make the multiplayer in B64 for the VC online, so that everyone can relive the pure pwnage of Pyramid / Up & Down matches.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
'Under the deal with Konami three million new shares will be issued and bought by the Japanese publisher for 1.43 billion yen ($13.26 million), giving Konami a controlling 54% stake in Hudson (Konami previously had a 45% stake). Konami will then undertake a reorganization of the company and its 530-strong staff. Nintendo also owns a stake in Hudson Soft that equates to 1.23%.'

from http://www.geek.com/konami-bails-out-hudson-soft/

Never heard of the site before or the reliability of the figures but I guess you were right RDK.

RDK

Smash Hero
'Under the deal with Konami three million new shares will be issued and bought by the Japanese publisher for 1.43 billion yen ($13.26 million), giving Konami a controlling 54% stake in Hudson (Konami previously had a 45% stake). Konami will then undertake a reorganization of the company and its 530-strong staff. Nintendo also owns a stake in Hudson Soft that equates to 1.23%.'

from http://www.geek.com/konami-bails-out-hudson-soft/

Never heard of the site before or the reliability of the figures but I guess you were right RDK.
1.23%? That's all? Well that sucks.

Oh well. At least we can still say that Nintendo partially owns Hudson! :p

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Like I said, don't know how reliable it is. You still might be right and it could well be higher, that article was written in 2005. But it does show Nintendo owns some of Hudson.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
That really isn't a lot... And with Konami already adding Snake, Bomberman's chances don't seem too high now...

But I can still hope!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm not too worried. If Nintendo want him, they'll get him.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I'd like to join the Bomb Squad as well. Do I get to blow stuff up?! :tnt::burst::rocket::bigrocket:laser:

How many Nintendo-console Bomberman adventure games are there? I have Bomberman 64 (The one with Altair, not the other one, whatever it is), Bomberman Hero, and 64 the Second Attack. I've heard that's it for Nintendo...

Top Bottom