• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Basic Knowledge Link Guide. (Check First Post)

D

Deleted member

Should My Q and A thread get stickied, I will leave a Link to this thread in my rules section regarding discoveries.
the Q&A thread should be stickied, and the link character discussion should be unstickied

this is stickied on AiB so just look at it there

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Man, we really need a Link mainer mod to mod these boards. >_> Like one of the elite. So we get that Link character discussion thread unstickied and get the important stuff stickied like the Q&A thread, this thread re stickied and my stage discussion and sasook's guide. Those are the important threads. Oh and Skler's guide is a bit outdated. :/ He's never on the Brawl boards anyway.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I don't want to argue about what should be stickied, but the weekly character discussion definately needs to be unstickied. Why is that still there anyways? Its just a stupid thread no one even uses...

Lootic wtf does that even mean? It sounds like an innuendo lol
You mean like that I was telling him to be careful or else I flame him, well then its true. why him? cause of his name, with a name like that you are begging for lootic to post something aimed towards you.

I mean I cant make something out of your name.

EDIT:
Wait I can

@blu link: Ill learn you the meaning of the colour blu(and the spelling)...
EDIT2:
ok its not nearly as good.

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
i have a hard time with very short quick players like meta,sonic, and lucas how am i suppose to work my way around them? i am spamming/spacing player.

D

Deleted member

i have a hard time with very short quick players like meta,sonic, and lucas how am i suppose to work my way around them? i am spamming/spacing player.
short players are all a hassle against link >_<

try using more bombs during this match, imo it seems to mess them up more. i use a lot of nairs, dsmashes and reverse up tilts during this match along with jabs. i rarely fair because you have to time it perfectly for it to actually hit. the zair is pretty much useless unless theyre in the air with you so try to jab more than you zair.

this is pretty much all i can say without a video to base my advice on

sasook

Smash Champion
But the timing is difficult IMO. The zair will either auto cancel too early and not get the full extent, or you'll go just above their head. Not worth it if you ask me, but that's just my opinion, nothing more.

I mostly agree with what Arkive said, though I do recommend using dtilt instead of dsmash so dsmash can be fresh for KOs (small characters tend to be light).

Deva

Smash Lord
There isn't one matchup I've ever played where zair wasn't in my top 3 most used techs.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
I still hit short chars with Zair, you can still have the full extent of the chain pretty close to the ground it you time it right.

EDIT: Oh snap.. this was bumped, the Zair conversation is at least 2 months old >_>

D

Deleted member

updated this shiz

if you think you have a better counter pick against a certain character feel free to discuss it with me either here or in the chat room

sasook

Smash Champion
Arkive, Lylat's one of ZSS' best stages...

And feel free to use my bombsliding video if you want instead of the one you have now.

D

Deleted member

lol i meant RC, thx for pointing that out

edit: like i originally thought, LC is a bad zamus stage -_-"

wtf sasook, making me lose faith in myself, wtf is that noise lol. i knew i put down LC for a reason

sasook

Smash Champion
D

Deleted member

i'm guessing Snakeee knows a little more about zamus than you do, i'll also ask Bouse later for his opinion

Bad Stages

4. Lylat Cruise - Again, it's the shape. This is a problem for the same reasons I said in Yoshi's, and the tilting makes that even worse. Still, this stage is useful against certain characters that you don't want to give much room against, including DDD. You can also D-smash a lot of characters while standing on top of the edge platforms.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Lylat is hardly a good stage for anyone lol Except any character with ridiculous recoveries. The only advantages I can think of that Link has on that stage is the bomb stage spike thing, platforms, and Utilts and Usmash can hit through those platforms.

sasook

Smash Champion
Here's a more recent quote from him:

Rainbow is my favourite stage...

Worst IMO is Japes, Frigate, Castle Siege, Delphino in that order...well Delphino is only bad in certain match ups but she's usually adaptable to any stage so it's one of the worst because of that fact.

Yoshi's Island isn't spectacular for her I don't think, I'd say it's an average stage.

Battlefield, Lylat and PS1 are probably her best

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I agree with sasook here, even in that quote snakeee says "Still, this stage is useful against certain characters that you don't want to give much room against" and Link is one of those characters you don't want to give space.

Even if LC was a bad stage for ZZS, it's also a horrible stage for Link. He already has a horrible recovery with limited options, why pick a stage that has weird edges that his zair loves to avoid. And yeah, snakeee even mentions it as a great stage in that second quote.

Anyway, Castle Siege or Japes seems better. CS is great for spacing (and the first part above the castle is great for zair and bombs, in the castle keeps you from getting gimped). The advantage on japes is that you make her recovery much more predictable since she can't go as low as she likes because of the water.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Lylat is a good stage for ZSS, anything from my stage thread is pretty outdated. The platforms are useful, but not as much as battlefield. What I had said about it giving the opponent less space is also true, and it forces them in the air a lot; which is a really good thing. A funny thing is the fact that it messes up a lot of character's recover, and not hers at all is a plus too.

D

Deleted member

edit: nvm i read sasook's post

hold up on ZSS's stage CP, like fox and kirby this match up will probably take me a while to find a decent CP for it lol

edit2: **** it, i've settled on FD, just spam the *****

please keep in mind that these are >>>>MY<<<< stage counter picks. i don't play like any other link so your play style probably won't benefit as much as mine does from these stages. If i were you guys i would just use this as a guideline to find your own CP's

Swordplay

Smash Lord
WHAT? you would take IC to delphino? I would pick Norfair or RC in an instant.

Also I thought we discusses Castle Siege for ROB. What made you change your mind?

sasook

Smash Champion
1st part of castle siege is like asking to be gimped by ROB. 2nd part - his laser goes through statues, your projects don't. 3rd is sort of a neutral. Castle siege isn't a good pick against ROB.

D

Deleted member

WHAT? you would take IC to delphino? I would pick Norfair or RC in an instant.
i talked to my friend that secondary's IC's and he said delfino is a devastating CP, everytime the main platform lands or rises its an instant grab break

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I just learned about JC bombs for the first time the other day....I really couldn't believe I missed something like that. It's pimpness...it replaces reverse bombsliding in my books.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
does anyone else here think yoshi island is a great stagee for link? i always do well on that stage

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
well how can i take Izaws AT and use it on wiimote and nunchuck?
the best/only way to do that is to customise the control settings on the pad thingy over the A-button so down is d-smash and up or side is grab. then you dash, press the d-smash button to dash attack then press the grab button and up at the same time. hope that helped you.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
yea it did thanks:)
You can also just turn Shake Smash on, so that you run and press A for the dash attack and shake the Nunchuck for the DAC part.
I don't think bombsliding is possible however with the Wiimote/Nunchuck combination, so prove me wrong and find out! :p

Top Bottom