• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Basic Knowledge Link Guide. (Check First Post)

Deva

Smash Lord
Actually, the footstool to jab lock can be avoided. If your opponent sees it coming they can roll, but if they dont expect it it's really good.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Actually, the footstool to jab lock can be avoided. If your opponent sees it coming they can roll, but if they dont expect it it's really good.
Than one will probably not want to use it every battle and only use once when they do. XD

Swordplay

Smash Lord
That clear the stage thing is kinda usless.....only works from right side.

But the way for bomb smashing.....I watched that vid and it was cool (loved the skyler style)

One of my favorite setups that I did not see was using the boomerangs animation to prepare a bomb smash. My opponents never see it coming.......

If they DI wrong or don't tech it is by by birdy........best thing of all is if they do get out of it.....the bomb usually explodes hitting both of you and reseting the playing field.

D

Deleted member

That clear the stage thing is kinda usless.....only works from right side.

But the way for bomb smashing.....I watched that vid and it was cool (loved the skyler style)

One of my favorite setups that I did not see was using the boomerangs animation to prepare a bomb smash. My opponents never see it coming.......

If they DI wrong or don't tech it is by by birdy........best thing of all is if they do get out of it.....the bomb usually explodes hitting both of you and reseting the playing field.
are you sure that it only works on the right side? i dont have a wii right now so i cant try it lol

i didn't put all the bomb smashing set ups on there because i wanted to keep it short and sweet. i was pretty much just trying to get across that you can bomb smash out of almost anything.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I was messing around with link for a bit in training. I saw you already discovered this

(Ledge canceled bomb pull : Using the craq walk to fall of of a platform/stage jumping once you fall of and pulling out a bomb (you can do this from a bair or nair)
but I made a short video to show what it looks like. Also, when done right, you can drop the bomb on your opponent while airdodging and don't suffer from the bomb.

I don't play link alot so the vid probably looks noob xD

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=G2CuC1X0l2U&fmt=18

Swordplay

Smash Lord
So I know you didn't have bombsliding up there because its just DAC with a bomb...pretty bassic....

I would recommend adding it as someone finally made a good vid of it.

It even explains how to do bombsliding both forwards, backwards and up. It's in this new thread a G&W player put up. I know the AT is old news and I told him so but you got to respect that vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nq9_CQNTYs

I would just say please add it so these bombsliding threads don't pop up all over the place.... Maybe if they saw it here....they would stop making new threads

ALSO YES...CLEARING THE STAGE ONLY WORKS FROM THE RIGHT SIDE..

Check the Complication of AT and Misc glitches sticky'd in tactics section.

D

Deleted member

when i get back i'll test that dac bomb throw thing and if i can control the bomb 100% of the time then ill add it.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, man! Just what I needed, seeing as I just started using Link. Thank goodness it's stickied.

O.T.L

Smash Apprentice
what is it called when Link has his specials set to C-stick, and link gets an extra boost to the stage when he uses the boomerang backwards?

D

Deleted member

what is it called when Link has his specials set to C-stick, and link gets an extra boost to the stage when he uses the boomerang backwards?
its called b sticking and i'm pretty sure its not possible

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
It's possible to Wavebounce without using the c-stick, since I've done it multiple times on accident (using boomerang and even the bow) but trying to jump backwards towards the stage and doing it for an extra boost, without the b-stick... difficult indeed, and probably not even a very useful move.
Try to post a video of it if you could, I'd like to see how it can assist Link's recover (if at all).

D

Deleted member

i remember there being a thread that proved that b sticking doesn't really help link's recovery

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
i remember there being a thread that proved that b sticking doesn't really help link's recovery
^ 'Tis my unfortunate thought.
It would be awesome if we could find something at all to help Link's recovery, but a good Link shouldn't fall off the stage enough to need his recovery.
In other more famous words, "Don't get grabbed." If you get the drift, lol.

Well, at least we're discussing something somewhat related to the guide... somewhat...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Im begining to think we should add a new section to this guide..

Bassic Link **** combo's.....This guide would make a great database for link **** combo's

For example I'll post 1.

Jab cancel > Grab > B-throw > DAC (Low %)

Link is actually not that hard to combo with if you know the combo's. However finding bassic combo's can often prove difficult and it would be great if this guide became a database..

If not I'll go to nintendo joe's guide.

By the way arkive....have you tested the bomb thing or are you still not back yet?

D

Deleted member

as for the combo thing i don't think ill add it, combo's are not set in brawl, you can't just dial a combo like you could in melee therefore that section would be pretty useless

i haven't done any testing yet because i was waaaaay too tired yesterday lol, ill try it within the next few days

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
For a combo, I guess I have a few. :/ Maybe not terribly effective but it gets the job done.

Bomb-> AC -> DAC (low percents)

Zair-> Grab -> Dthrow -> Uptilt (lowish percents)

And has anyone noticed all those closed threads? Too much spam recently. Not good. Kinda stupid actually. Lets keep the boards spam free, shall we?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
ZOMG another bombsliding thread appeared.

Arkive you have to add this so people will stop thinking they discovered something that has little impact if any on Links meta game.

STUPID NOOBS.

aight aight, i'll add it soon
Just write the button input correct.

F-throw: Dash -> down c-stick -> Z(not up+ z)

U-throw: Dash -> down c-stick -> Z+ up

R-throw(reversed): Dash -> down c-stick -> Z+ control stick backwards (not up rotate backwards + Z)

I didnt found out until recently and I dont think the correct button input is known by many, since the wrong input is the only one i have seen so far.

EDIT: btw what flavour do you want on the cooky I owe you?

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
hi there... I wanna see if I can apport some things.. (pls excuse my english..)

Recently I have tried to look for link tricks.. and there are some little discoveries I wanted to share... even though... I don't know how usefull they can be... And .. maybe I am one of those noobs swordplay was talking about XD..

Well you know that during the dash animation you cannot press up-B... and that this can be solved by pressing jump and inmediately pressing up-b... In that way you can make the up-B out from the dash and get some centimetres xD... Well ... The thing is that you could press it diagonally backwards and link will make a reversed up-b... And how is this helpfull? Well, if you cancel the up-b by going out of an edge (you know.. if you ar charging the up-B at the moment you leave the edge a glow will appear and the spin attack will cancel) link will fall facing the edge (backwards) instead of facing out of this (looking forward). This could help to edge guard using b-air faster or changing direction out from platforms...

Also.. yes.. you can wavebounce and all that stuff without putting special in the c-stick... you just have tu press backward a b-reverse it forward... you can even b-reverse the spin attack.. If you convine this with the technique I've explain before link will adquire this momentum while leaving out from the platform leaving you free to make any aerial instead of the arrow or boomerang.

Well that was the thing I wanted to add right know.. aps... and talking about wavebouncing to return to the stage.. I tried it myself and it doesn´t work... I know... I'm not a very good explainer but I'll try to show some vids :p... (,,,x >_< x,,, hoping don't being a noob xDDD)

D

Deleted member

sorry to inform you but all those techniques were already discovered lol

if you manually B stick the grounded up+b with a bunny hood on you can slide backwards a few feet, its pretty fun (but useless)

hi there... I wanna see if I can apport some things.. (pls excuse my english..)

Recently I have tried to look for link tricks.. and there are some little discoveries I wanted to share... even though... I don't know how usefull they can be... And .. maybe I am one of those noobs swordplay was talking about XD..

Well you know that during the dash animation you cannot press up-B... and that this can be solved by pressing jump and inmediately pressing up-b... In that way you can make the up-B out from the dash and get some centimetres xD... Well ... The thing is that you could press it diagonally backwards and link will make a reversed up-b... And how is this helpfull? Well, if you cancel the up-b by going out of an edge (you know.. if you ar charging the up-B at the moment you leave the edge a glow will appear and the spin attack will cancel) link will fall facing the edge (backwards) instead of facing out of this (looking forward). This could help to edge guard using b-air faster or changing direction out from platforms...

Also.. yes.. you can wavebounce and all that stuff without putting special in the c-stick... you just have tu press backward a b-reverse it forward... you can even b-reverse the spin attack.. If you convine this with the technique I've explain before link will adquire this momentum while leaving out from the platform leaving you free to make any aerial instead of the arrow or boomerang.

Well that was the thing I wanted to add right know.. aps... and talking about wavebouncing to return to the stage.. I tried it myself and it doesn´t work... I know... I'm not a very good explainer but I'll try to show some vids :p... (,,,x >_< x,,, hoping don't being a noob xDDD)
I like that you posted the stuff here instead of making new thread.

also you can wavebounce with the c-stick without setting it to specials, just hit special attack button at exactly the same time as you press c-stick backwards and control stick forwards. I have R set to specials to be able to wavebounce(most cause Im trying to learn the timing when to wavebounce when used as recovery).

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
jejeje ok xD... I was just wondering why I couldn't find them anywhere... And personally I think using up-b for turning arround from platforms is usefull... Well at leasts with the post the information is now in this thread xDDDDD... ^^U....

sasook

Smash Champion
Phantom, I cannot thank you enough for not making a new thread and posting all that. First, you would have been flamed. Second, the topic would have been closed. Third, you would have been flamed. And fourth, you would have been flamed.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
well at least they are thanking me... not the way I expected... but a "thanks" is a thanks xDD

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Excellent question Swordplay. This thread is a very good thread and it deserved it's sticky in the first place. It didn't keep down the spam for long but it was a nice place to reference from. But seriously.....

Why was this unstickied....

D

Deleted member

i really don't care, it'll only hurt new link mains but i guess the mods just don't understand that.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Should My Q and A thread get stickied, I will leave a Link to this thread in my rules section regarding discoveries.

Top Bottom