• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You've got a lot to learn if you're asking that question. Look at the times that i did it, and look at the results, how often was i punished for it and how often did i get good hits from it? It's one of DK's best moves. He has one of the most useful up b's in the game. How many others can KO consistently with their up b? Just about nobody

Oracle

Smash Master
Next to bowser, it's probably the best up B in the game

Definitely best anti-air in the game

Also vs. Fox/Flaco, if you get a Dair in and they don't DI, try a charged up smash. Good upwards range so it hits after dair at higher percents than other moves and I think it kills better than Fair

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Next to bowser, it's probably the best up B in the game

Definitely best anti-air in the game
It's stronger than bowsers, it just doesn't have as big of a sweetspot and isn't very strong on the side, but at the same time, bowsers doesn't have to priority to beat a lot of aerial moves that DK's up b can beat

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
bowsers upB stops combos and kills some floaties. thats about it.

dk's u can kill with it, edgeguard with it, stop combos with it, prevent some approaches with it... etc..

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It's stronger than bowsers, it just doesn't have as big of a sweetspot and isn't very strong on the side, but at the same time, bowsers doesn't have to priority to beat a lot of aerial moves that DK's up b can beat
Who needs priority when Bowser is invincible for a decent chunk of the start up?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
dk's upB stops combos and kills some floaties. thats about it.

dk's u can kill with it, edgeguard with it, stop combos with it, prevent some approaches with it... etc..
You might wanna fix this post. lol

And to the other one, because on top of beating the other moves, it is also a ko move and can kill your opponent. Thats like comparing marths u air with foxes. Marth's u air is disjointed and cant really be beaten, but foxes has good priority and will ko...

DonMagicWand

Smash Cadet
yeah i just picked up DK...
i dont really upB too much, i dair upB somtimes thats about it, and i somtimes chase off the map with it.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I see you over+b headbutt in some of your matches Mexican, do you mindgame with it, make a mistake or have you actually found a good use for it???
lol, if you ever see me use that move, it was a mistake. lol. It's only good for one thing, and that's for stalling on a stage like brinstar so that the acid can save you if it's not present or kongo jungle to stall yourself to let the barrel get close enough or yoshis story for the cloud to come out. Otherwise it's completely useless

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's useful to make your opponent laugh.
i have used it specifically for this purpose before, works like a charm.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
What's DK's matchup like with samus. I was playing a friend who (sadly) was tearing up my falcon with his samus. (He practices against falcons better than me daily, so I have johns at least..) So I'm like, why not? I went DK, and got him down to 1 stock in DK's kill range. Granted, it was at dreamland 64, but I did very well compared what I figured I'd do. I just kept pressure on him, and used the bair to eat missiles. My biggest problem was I couldn't cargo>throw up> uair. Other than that, I stuck with my normal game, lots of bairs, lots of grabs>cargo> up because I couldn't think of anything better unless he was in kill range. Lots of Giant Punch mindgames. (my kills were: 1 punch; 2 punch; 3 fsmash, w/o uair I was generally limited to those and bair. But I really could have gotten an uair anyway, it would have been nice considering how floaty samus is... but I wasn't exactly thinking about that at the time.) He said he knew the DK matchup, I sure didn't know the samus matchup, but it went far better than I expected.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cargo up throws work, only grounded ones though, but... that doesn't really matter.

Ranged moves like Ftilt, Bair, and Giant Punch are pretty much ****, and DK is one of the better characters for edgeguarding Samus.
More stuff here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=118944

I personally think it's a **** matchup, through personal experience and what I've noticed from other players.

If you're playing Fro, Giant Punch, Bairs, and Dash grabs kinda **** his style. This is me assuming he still doesn't wavedash out of his shield. Because Samus has a ******** bad grab and Fro didn't wavedash OoS at the time, everytime I saw him shield, I'm like ".......grab?"

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Cargo up throws work, only grounded ones though, but... that doesn't really matter.

Ranged moves like Ftilt, Bair, and Giant Punch are pretty much ****, and DK is one of the better characters for edgeguarding Samus.
More stuff here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=118944

I personally think it's a **** matchup, through personal experience and what I've noticed from other players.

If you're playing Fro, Giant Punch, Bairs, and Dash grabs kinda **** his style. This is me assuming he still doesn't wavedash out of his shield. Because Samus has a ******** bad grab and Fro didn't wavedash OoS at the time, everytime I saw him shield, I'm like ".......grab?"
I actually wasn't playing Fro, he's in Saudi Arabia right now. ... But that's good to know I always seem to run into him in brackets and always get *****. I was playing DJ, a guy in the same frat as KSO who started playing around the same time as I did. (Feb) He plays KSO's falcon all the time, so he knows that matchup super well. As far as I know Fro still doesn't WD OOS, like almost everyone else in the dew crew. I personally haven't got it to in-game level yet, but I can do it in practice mode. Idk, Fro might learn that while he's got nobody to play with in Saudi. The samus I play likes to nair OOS a lot, how can I deal with that?

On a more personal note, will you be coming back to Purdue this fall? (or ever for that matter?) I've never actually got to play you, although anytime I use DK I hear people talk about how good yours is.

Thanks for the advice and the link.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Oh, I know DJ, he messaged me on facebook for Samus tips.

KSO's frat = my frat :p Alot of people forget that since I don't live at the house.

Nair Oos, since it lacks range and the priority is really just her crouch, I think the listed moves with good spacing + dash dance camping should be more then enough. Pretty much, fighting Samus in general is allll bout spacing.

There's a good chance I'm coming back, we'll finally play fo shooo.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i was getting owned by IHSB's samus at E-52.... but i put up 3 vids vs. samus if you wanna watch lol. just do a search on youtube since im lazy. just bair and giant punch and try not to get ***** by missiles & nair.

im kinda feeling like quitting DK, since i just got totally gayed at e-52 by better chars. my fox & marth are ****** and dk just doesn't cut it very much -.-

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
im kinda feeling like quitting DK, since i just got totally gayed at e-52 by better chars. my fox & marth are ****** and dk just doesn't cut it very much -.-
So get better...If i ever play you, i'd just **** your marth and fox to prove a point, and i'd bet that you'd do a lot better using dk against me than marth or fox

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that's because DK dittos are the dumbest **** ever.

yeah i could get better, or just use fox/marth & make it to bracket. -.- this game is really lame like that.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the fact that fox and falco can attack a shield without worry is ****ing stupid. everyone else has to be wary of shieldgrabbing, but no. fox & falco don't even have to think about it, unless they're bad and aren't consistently L-canceling. they just attack and input 5-7 buttons and away they go (l-cancel, crouch, b, jump -> grab/wd away/more aerials).

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
the fact that fox and falco can attack a shield without worry is ****ing stupid. everyone else has to be wary of shieldgrabbing, but no. fox & falco don't even have to think about it, unless they're bad and aren't consistently L-canceling. they just attack and input 5-7 buttons and away they go (l-cancel, crouch, b, jump -> grab/wd away/more aerials).
Then go ahead and use fox and/or falco and see how far you get. I'm betting that i'd get farther, and i know your reason is going to be "well duh, you're better than i am", but that just proves the point even more that skill is the most important thing. Tiers come second.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
skill comes first, yes. i have not disagreed with you on that point.
just the character balance is dumb and i'm irritated by it is what i've been saying O: people less skilled than me winning & placing much higher just gets on my nerves.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
skill comes first, yes. i have not disagreed with you on that point.
just the character balance is dumb and i'm irritated by it is what i've been saying O: people less skilled than me winning & placing much higher just gets on my nerves.
Like i said, just get better. I lose to noobs all the time, it happens. Noobs have placed higher than me too. I've not even made it out of pools a few times, but i've also made it into pools and kicked *** a lot of times too. DK's a very inconsistent character because if your opponent knows how to play him, your opponent will win, if not, you will win. However, fox/marth/falco/falcon, EVERYBODY uses those characters...and its just not fun. I'm not a **** robot, so why would i just automatically do what i think will win it for me? I'd rather use DK and just have fun. Getting 7th with dk > getting 1st with fox

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
getting first with fox requires alotta skill because everybody knows how to play against a fox. which is why there are like a million fox mains but only a handful place anywhere.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
KFC, why is your Marth so sexy? Watching all of them tourney vids makes me feel like playing Smash again.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
lol my marth sucks, mexican was beating it with fox falco and shiek yesterday.
lol, i beat your marth with fox ONCE yesterday, and you KNOW that was a fluke. My fox sux *** and you came back and 3 stocked me the next match. And i was keeping up with your marth using sheik, not beating it consistently. And i don't remember beating your marth using falco at all. lol. You know as well as i do that the only character that i'm good with is dk

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i'm so good at dk i haven't used him in a month and i'm still 2 good.

Top Bottom