• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
recover good
space your recovery, dk's ledgegrab range while spinning is surprisingly large.
and don't get hit while you're recovering
learn how to ledgetech or downairs will **** you.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
If you know that you're going to get hit either way, try coming in low so that when they hit you, you're close enough to the ledge to ledge tech. If they're kinda far off of the edge, go just out of range of the attack and hold there until the last moment and push forward and you'll grab from a fair distance. Meteor cancels are almost completely pointless with dk, but ledge teching is great.

***on a side note, its confirmed now that i will %100 for sure will be going to Genesis. My work gave me the days off. See you guys there

Ryofoong

Smash Rookie
Mex!! I has a legitimate question!! Uhm... Oh yeah... How situational is DK's U-Smash? I know that the Up-B is better in most situations when the dude is above you, but like the U-Smash can hit certain platforms that the Up-B can't. Should I use it in certain situations, or just U-air? :o

Side note: I want to see you at Genesis!! D:<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mex never uses the Up-smash, I'm pretty sure. i do do cargo upthrow -> JC upsmash at around 130% or so on Spacies, though, unless there's a platform that can mess it up. otherwise upair is usually better.

Ryofoong

Smash Rookie
Well, I've had a good amount of success hitting someone from under the platform into death if they do a get up attack or something. And it's usually safe... Kinda. :o

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah it's safe
but dk can't play it safe
go go attack aggression power skill

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
There's usually always a better option. If you're opponent is at lower damages, then u air is the obvious choice for comboing purposes, or even jumping up to the platform with a d air so that they get popped up as they get up, or even jumping and wavelanding onto the platform with your shield up to get a shield grab or if you have your giant punch charged, just jump at level with the platform and throw it out, the giant punch will cover just about the length of all of the platforms on the neutral stages. At yoshi's or stadium or even fod, up b is a good choice too because it's harder to punish if you miss and you can always end it safely by making sure you fall to the ledge by the end of the up b. The u smash just has too small of a hitbox and is too laggy and is just a one hit thing and probably won't kill until your opponent is like..90 damage or up, depending on the stage and character you're using it on. I dunno...there's just always better options. Like..at 130 damage, you can full jump, up throw and u air spacies and they'll die and it's safer and easier to hit than the u smash. The only time i personally use up smash is either when i'm not taking the match seriously, or i'll charge one after hitting a d air on a spacey or something and they're popped up and at high enough damage to die from it, but low enough damage that it'll still hit

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
MEXICAN, what's your general opinion on f-tilt with DK? I've been using it a lot lately, primarily as a "get the **** off of me and let me space for a grab." I've seen some success with it against Space Animals, but the best instances I've had was up against a Marth or a Roy (yes, lol, a Roy main) that just wasn't quick enough with either a jab or whatever the hell it was they were doing.

Am I using it right? Or should I not use it at all?

Smooth Criminal

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I love using it against Marth, especially after a missed Bair when they're dashdance camping, since they always come running in to punish the Bair. *learned this from Mex*.
Good on other "DD characters" like Fox and Cfalcon.
It also ***** low tiers haha. The range is too sexy.

"get the **** off of me and let me space for a grab." sounds right enough to me.

Also SC, I miss your super awesome Samus signature >.>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
MEXICAN, what's your general opinion on f-tilt with DK? I've been using it a lot lately, primarily as a "get the **** off of me and let me space for a grab." I've seen some success with it against Space Animals, but the best instances I've had was up against a Marth or a Roy (yes, lol, a Roy main) that just wasn't quick enough with either a jab or whatever the hell it was they were doing.

Am I using it right? Or should I not use it at all?

Smooth Criminal
The f tilt is a GREAT move. The range is great and it's not too slow or too laggy. It's a great follow up move for a jab or a d tilt. If you time it right, you can do the first hit of the jab and do a f tilt afterwards, which is obviously WAYYY better than using the second hit of the jabs. It's also really good after you do a d tilt to space someone, because in my experiences, higher level players will try to dash in or wavedash in or shield dash in after you try a d tilt, and f tilt will knock them back. D tilt, d tilt, angled up f tilt is great too. lol. It works quite often. It's definitely a good move against characters like marth and roy (i guess? lol), but don't spam it.

How do I cross the border?
Very very quickly

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Random pro tip #17: Drink a red bull or some other really strong energy drink before a tournament. Not only will it help you wake up, but it'll also make you all jittery and for some reason, that makes you react and move better. lol. I always thought that it was kinda dumb, but i DID notice that i played much better when i drank one before i played. Trust in the words of the MEXICAN. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
lol, i didn't really accomplish much in the actual tournament at genesis, but i did beat some good people. I beat dashzwiz in a friendly, silent spectre in a money match set, and a few random other small accomplishments... I lost to darkrain and a random in the actual tournament. It really sucked because although i know i would've lost to him either way, that morning, literally as i entered the building (half asleep still), they told me to go play darkrain. No warm up, no waking, nothing. lol. Needless to say i got *****. haha. I played him on the previous day, the same day i played ss, and the results were very similar to when i played ss. It was really close and i barely lost, but that was when i had been playing already and whatnot (johns). It's honestly hard to compare them because darkrain knows how to play dk and what to look out for...ss doesn't. So its really hard to say who's better. I played pkmvodka a lot and **** is his dk good. lol. He still has it. lol. We played some dk dittos and he won most of them, but i've said it a million times, i suck in dk dittos. lol. I played some of his other characters and we went back and forth. He played KFC and i think he beat kfc's falcon, but he didn't do so hot against KFC's fox. I played blunt objects and kage from canada. I 2 stocked kage first round but then lost the next 3 rounds against him. lol. I beat blunt objects for the majority of the matches we played. I had hungry box in my pool and i took a round off, but he won the set. The matches were pretty good and really close. There's probably a lot more that i could talk about, but i'm tired. lol. I'll write more on it later

*******btw, majority of said matches were recorded. My set against ss, match against dashizwiz, not sure about hungrybox, me getting ***** by darkrain (but not the other set), and all the matches against pkmvodka. I'm not the one that recorded them though, so i can't determine if/when they get uploaded. I think that the guy that recorded them's tag was f-zero, but i could be wrong..

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so guys let's talk about DK approach options

grab
bair
dash attack vs. ffers

sound good?

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
You forgot that you can basically spam giant punch and space it when approaching and you basically can't be punished (almost). I also approach with nair often, but you need to either space it super well or land on their hand and up b to avoid getting punished.

hi mexican, fun times playing with you and your friends, johning about dittos? :laugh:
That sounds like when I beat gimpyfish in bowser dittos mm (back at OC2) and he was johning all over smashboards that he wasn't good in bowser dittos. :)

looking forward to the next time I see you (if I ever). :)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
hey hey hey, i've johnned about dittos way before that. lol. I johnned about it long time ago when kfc was beating me in the dittos. hahaha. *shrugs*, i have no pride in my dk dittoing abilities. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i beat darkrain in DK dittos
get @ me

the matchup is cargo upthrow upair, bair, and dash dance. and some other **** that no one cares about.

also, unless PKM wants to take over this thread, I'll answer any questions that all of the millions of DK mains have with my amazing DK knowledge <_<

otg

Smash Master
Strongbad:

I have a hard time beating opponents using DK when he is any color but blue. In fact, I find that I just viciously **** and molest anyone who gets in my way when I am blue.

.,.... yeah it kinda dawned on me that this wasn't a question and more of a statement about how good blue dk is.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you're using blue DK as a crutch. get real skills and use a real man's color otg, you ****in' scrub.

anything else?

vvvvv: up + b

Top Bottom