• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
played Jace & Darkrain for like 2 hrs last night.
grindin out that Falcon match-up... I learned a few depressing things and a few good things.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
played Jace & Darkrain for like 2 hrs last night.
grindin out that Falcon match-up... I learned a few depressing things and a few good things.
What are those things? And yeah sheik is ridiculous, Green.

I made 20 bucks in money matches with DK partly, learned some DK stuff on Marth that I didn't know, and almost made it out of pools using him as well (against Marth). Really confident in the Marth DK matchup now. Am I alone?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marth is easy.

Depressing thing is Falcon can uthrow CG you for way longer than I thought he could. Cool thing is that I'm **** at platform techchases and uthrow dair shenanigans. Also Falcon's recovery SUCKKKSSSS

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sheik

grab>f-tilt can be SDI'd down so that you actually stand normally at low % for a free grab. this is ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT to get down. make the most of it.

also never go to FD.

falcon

cargo> d-throw = auto stock

master these things and you'll do extremely better already

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Green Ranger I refuse to allow you to feel bad about your playing. You win tournament sets with DK. That should really be a big burst of pride. Winning the whole shebang is a nice goal, but I can't even get to your level.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Green Ranger, you face your opponent too much. Like, you'll pivot wavedashes to where you're facing your opponent. Do the opposite. Otherwise just be faster/get more experience. We can do monkey dittos at FC. ;)

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
After rewatching your matches with M2K I think the answer will just have to be to engage in top level play for almost a decade. Notice how M2K almost never missed. He could predict not just what you would try to do, but where you would be after you would do it and how he could remain safe when you did it. He knows every option, every DI, every situation. That guy just gets smash and knows his characters inside and out.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Where are your Giant punches? I think i saw you throw out only 1 in all 4 of those matches...Giant punch is one of dk's best moves. Hell, I get 1/3 kills with the giant punch. Use your invincibility frames at respawn to charge it. It's not just about having that one time move, it's about making your opponent afraid of that one time move, and more hesitant to try anything on you.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tips my simian colleagues! I agree that I am waayyy too conservative with my donkey punches. I also feel like I was dairing wayyy too much and dying because of that. I'll also work on having my butt facing the opponent for the majority of the match.

Ripple can you elaborate on how cargo d-throw on falcon is an auto stock? Do I throw them off the ledge and edgeguard them somehow?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't like cargo-dthrowing opponents off the edge. I have no idea why Ripple likes it so much. It gives you a situation where you can get a stock with a like 25/75 decision in their favor, and I'd much rather guaranteed combo them. I play darkrain & Jace (i.e. the best falcons in the MW) nearly every week and cargo dthrow almost never works like Ripple describes it.

Green Ranger

Smash Journeyman
Any tips on how to beat pikachad, duck, bigD, meta and a few random sheiks? I really want to make it out of first round pools.

Also, SB, I'll decline the $10 MM. That is way to high roller for me.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
maybe your just bad SB? It worked on every falcon I did it on today.

phish-it

Smash Champion
It puts falcon in a bad position but saying it's an auto stock is an exaggeration. Sometimes I like to jump off and Cargo up-throw>u-air>up b them off the stage. Most of the time the opponent tries to jump out of it and lose there jump thus are forced to up B back on to the stage where you can punish further from there.

How'd pools go today? I expect nothing less than 1st seed for all of you guys.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I got 3rd seed but I almost beat hungrybox.

he said I'm super legit :D

GR got 5th seed.

Eikelman got 5th seed.

Strong Bad got 4th seed

AND to top it all off, me and SB are in the same R2 pools tomorrow

phish-it

Smash Champion
Nice, good ****. Surprised Green Ranger didn't make it out. Eikellman what happened with your pool? Not familiar with most of those names, I'm guessing you went mostly Ganondorf?

Have fun duking it out in round 2 pools tomorrow; may the Mightier Monk prevail.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i beat ripple 2-1

three-way tie for 4th in my pool, got 5th due to tiebreaks. 33rd at FC with monkey strong.

9th in project m with monkey strong

1 game from getting in the top 6 round robin :(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Is Green Ranger any good? He was supposed to come to IMPULSE but didn't and the only vids I've seen of him on Youtube are vs a random Samus (who he 4-stocks) or M2K (who 4-stocks him) so it's hard to tell.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Is Puff really that bad for Ganon? I've always figured that if you can pick one of the top tiers to get landed with you probably want to see her, Peach, or Marth as opposed to Falco, Fox, and Sheik.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Ganondorf barely loses to jigglypuff in my opinion, I feel it's the around the same difficulty as Peach and Marth. Puff can punish Ganon hard obviously but the same goes vice versa if she misses a rest, mispaces an aerial and gets cracked in the face etc. (DK isn't bad against her either)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I got 33rd at FC. Really wish I had made bracket (3-way tie for 4th seed, so close!), but nothing I can do about it. Next tournament. ;) I've got a lot to write up about DK/Melee in general after this awesome tourney though.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Strongbad went peach against trail's ICs. I am disappointed.

Ill show you all how to play that MU correctly or rather, better than what you'd expect

:phone:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Ganondorf barely loses to jigglypuff in my opinion, I feel it's the around the same difficulty as Peach and Marth. Puff can punish Ganon hard obviously but the same goes vice versa if she misses a rest, mispaces an aerial and gets cracked in the face etc. (DK isn't bad against her either)
Ganondorf is okay against any puff that isn't Hungrybox or Mango.

I destroyed the puffs in my pool lol, but those sheiks were what got me. There are few good sheiks out there. Guess I need to go to Atlanta and train with nicaboy.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Hungrybox said on day 2 that I was the closest person to beating him so far. And we played day 1

:phone:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
FC stream got me hyped, time to get back into Melee

edit:

woot, NJ scene is getting better. Apparently kids here think I'm as good as Phish-it. I'm obviously not lol but I think I'm gonna be a real DK main now... aka, not resort to top tiers when times get tough. More motivation, woot.

Top Bottom