• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm actually not going to IMPULSE anymore otherwise I'd totally be down. x_x something came up.

Uthrow cg: It definitely works long enough until the DI trap of cargo uthrow -> uair -> regrab, or just uair -> uair if they don't DI sideways, is guaranteed. I never went into AR and tested to find the %s (it'd vary based on how stale your U-Throw is anyway). I do the following. The first two lines are the setup that I choose depending on location on FD or my mood, and the rest is pre-determined, notated based on DI and whether or not I have a charged up Giant Punch. I really do try to have a punch charged up if it isn't the first stock though.

Cargo Uthrow x4 OR Cargo Uthrow -> Uair -> Regrab, Cargo Uthrow
followed by
-> U-air
(No DI) -> U-Air
(DI left or Right) -> Regrab, Cargo UThrow
-> U-Air x2
(Giant Punch) -> Giant Punch
(No Giant Punch) -> U-air -> Fair, edgeguard

Note that on every single U-air (except maybe the last one if your opponent decided he didn't feel like DIing at all) you are simply SHFF autocanceling it. If you're L-canceling you're doing it wrong.
Another thing to note is that if you go the Cargo U-Throw Chaingrabbing route, if they DI behind you you do NOT have to dash backwards, instead you can turn around grab; simply hold back and time your grab correctly and you grab them. I didn't even realize this until like a year ago LOL.

On non-FD what I've done for over a year now is wavelanding onto the platform after the uthrow or uair and techchasing. I get it almost every time if I'm playing well. If they're at higher percents to where they can jump out, lately I've been experimenting with this: jump up and down air them either onto the platform or onto the base floor to start a knockdown situation. It's a little risky compared to uair until I can't uair no more, but I find that if I do it right I can get a stock. I really need to practice this more though.

Oh btw techchasing INTO a dair just like Falcon does is really brutal on FFers. Meteors have absurd hitstun compared to their KB (1.25x) which is why things like that IHSB/Duck Fsmash are possible. My kind of "signature move" is dair -> charged Up-Smash. It's so satisfying to do.

Videos from the tourney I went to a bit over a week ago:

Me vs. Iori (Doc) $10 MM
0-3 but all games were pretty close. Gonna study these and maybe write up an analysis of this set & potentially the Doc matchup in general sometime.

Me vs. ihavespaceballs (Samus)
Really should have been a round 3 set but I dropped a set in pools (I suck against Falcon and need to work on that MU a lot). Closeish game 1, I feel like I was starting to adapt well near the end of game 2 but Dreamland was a bad stage choice and his lead was too big for me to catch up. Jack says that he thinks the MU is in DK's favor but that he plays the MU in about the only way he thinks Samus can win. I want to do the same to this set as I will to the set w/ Iori. also IHSB is too good lol.

Dart & Me vs. Jace & Iori
Prolly the best teams vid of me from this tourney. Dart and I didn't 100% get our flow down at this tourney but it's pretty close to how I'd approach teaming with Marth. Teach your teammate to save you with Downsmash and teach him to DI your dtilt up for you to save him. And don't ever DI a rest as badly as I did on FD, it'll cost you tournament sets and money.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I thought meteors only have extended hitstun because the opponent hits the floor and bounces off? Same way that when you hit someone into a wall they have longer hitstun too.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
IHSB? I heart strong bad? I have space balls?
Either way I gotta try your dair tricks. Either way I gotta actually play.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Good luck Eikelmann!! I believe in you!

Make all of DK users proud!
thanks, dude. the support means a lot.

anyways, 32 people entered. the most notable of them were hungrybox, colbol, rock crock, and blea gelo. i got 9th using dk and a tad of ganondorf.

things i need to work on,

getting around falco's lasers in doubles
outspacing ganondorf
reading di after upwards cargo throw so i can get off a non-spike fair.

if anyone has advice on those three, do tell.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
recover low, SDI needles, don't get to close to the ledge.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
we need a serious discussion on how to play DK in the current Meta

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
You forgot up b. and punch. and ftilt.
Doesn't really matter, it's all pretty much Bair. After chudat kicked my *** in DK dittos all his advice was "Bair is good". He's right.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yo, side-b is too good. Basically guaranteed kill set ups on everyone. Marth, peach and sheik need to be under a platform though.

I'm definitely implementing this into my game.

:phone:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
double post, but it's required.

i had a bomb *** training session today and played dk like i've never played before. down b is SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. i cannot get enough of it. for some reason, i feel as if dk can handle marth better than ganondorf. it feels easier to space and play footsies against him <_<

i feel so sad and ashamed whenever i trade with marth, though. i feel as if i've done something terribly wrong. but maybe that's just me.

i love dk!!

:dk::dk::dk::dk::dk:

Renth

Smash Hero
You know, if you play ganon side b is a good thing so long it isn't spammed. Also, trading with marth is a good thing, letting him combo off of those hits are not. :p I would also be willing to say that Ganon has a much better time vs. marth than DK does. You confuse me sometimes

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
I don't know exactly what you were going for Ripple, but DK side b is so slow and has such a small hitbox. I don't know what situation it could possibly be the best thing to do.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
basically cargo> jump> upthrow> dair> Auto cancel onto top platform> tech chase with side-b> charge up-smash.

but I've been finding out that charging d-smash is pretty much always better. but it won't kill

people have to godawful at mashing in order for side-b to work properly

phish-it

Smash Champion
Charging upsmash as they break out of the grounded side B? Thats fun but gimmicky and doesn't really work because the enemy has invincibility as they break out of the ground...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Charging upsmash as they break out of the grounded side B? Thats fun but gimmicky and doesn't really work because the enemy has invincibility as they break out of the ground...
You can react to them getting out. If you time it right, they will get hit.

Ian: chage punch, run in and punch. You have now pressured the **** out of them

:phone:

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
Leaving for SR in less than 8 hours. I haven't been able to practice much the past months, but I'm feeling rather confident anyway. Wish me luck. =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nowhere. I saw them in my mind; the epic tale of an exceptional gorilla who has trained for years triumphing over an evil gay ninja.

Top Bottom