• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
lol, sorry guys, but i can honestly say that i haven't touched a cube controller since genesis 2. I'm going to see if i can't make it to a few local tournaments, but i guess you can say i've been retired since genesis 2. lol. Although if another major tournament shows up near me, i'll probably go, not even just to play smash, but because the smash community is awesome. lol. I'll still try to post on here if you guys have questions, but this is probably the first time i've come to this site in weeks. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I offered to play KFC but he CHICKENED out when I was in SoCal after Genesis 2.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
2 DKs made RoM bracket.

Phish-it and
Went all Falcon this tournament
My pool was probably harder than average to make it out, but I still lost to a DK in the process :c (Kuam is pretty good though)
(But it's still DK)
I think he was the only one in our pools to take a match off Kage
he means Kwan.

Pretty gud, right.
I want to know how they did in bracket...

phish-it

Smash Champion
I got 2nd seed in Pools to Tec-0 and in bracket I fought Over Triforce first round, (don't know how that happened) got *****. I beat Spife (sheik) in losers and he managed to take a game off me after giving him tips earlier in friendlies on what to do against DK. I lost to Cyrain after that but the set was down to the wire and it really could have gone either way. I always seem to barely miss the kill and lose for it, but oh well.

Rom was fun, not sure how Kwan did (probably the only tournament we didnt play in) I'm gonna be at Apex too if any other monks are showing up.

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm still a little new to the smash boards community and I do main DK. I'm from the Toledo/Northwest Ohio region. Firstly, How useful would you say shield dropping is on DK and in what situations is it useful? Second, how in the hell would you stop a fox from shinedashing you after he gets the first shine in?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Spacees are needed.
No, they're not. All they're doing is keeping the low-tiers super low and keeping Sheik in check.

Hey, I'm still a little new to the smash boards community and I do main DK. I'm from the Toledo/Northwest Ohio region. Firstly, How useful would you say shield dropping is on DK and in what situations is it useful? Second, how in the hell would you stop a fox from shinedashing you after he gets the first shine in?
I'm guessing you're talking about waveshining. Well, I'm not sure about this, but I think the direction you hold when it happens has something to do w/ it. I think holding towards Fox after the 1st shine makes it easier to follow up w/ more. I think there might also be a way to get yourself knocked down, but again, don't quote me on any of this. As for shield dropping, I imagine it would be great for putting you into instant uairs out of shield which would be cool.

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
That blows about waveshining...fox is so gay. As for shield dropping, it would be similar to pikas u-air out of shield?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shield dropping is really good w/ DK if you're able to do it out of shield pressure. imagine getting shield pressured and then all the sudden you're comboing them w/ uair... so good.
learn shield drop uair and shield drop bair/shield drop DJ bair. i've also been messing w/ sheld drop up-b because it has more horizontal range than normal up-b OoS and catches shorties like Fox/Falco/Puff

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Where's a good place to start with learning DK, aside from the basic "know how his moves work", which I've got a pretty good idea of now?

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
Idk if anyone from this is gonna go to apex or not; but Im gonna try to go this year. So if I was going against a sheik, what would you say that matchup is? obv. in sheiks favor, but by how much? And do her needles turn you around like falcos lazers do?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to Apex
Sheik-DK is 70-30 if they know the match-up and CG, 60-40 otherwise.
Needles turn you around but they have way more endlag so they aren't as devastating. The main problem in the match-up is the grabs.

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
I thought dk could DI out of sheiks cg? Isnt it if you DI behind sheik when she d-throws you? And would you suggest throwing sheik up with dk then leading with the helicopter?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You can't DI out of it after 40ish%.
Why would you uthrow up-b when you can uthrow uair. Uthrow up-B is a gimmick that doesn't really work anymore because people know how to DI

CptDiabetes

Smash Cadet
So the up throw into up - b doesnt work on any slow fallers? I know it certainly doesnt work on puff, but would it work on marth?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you'll get the first hit for sure at lowish percents.... it's just not recommended over a u-air string.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
uair combos aren't legit at lower %'s tho like 0-10%, but I'd rather hit them above me and then abuse positional advantage and hit them on landing or just in general again.

uthrow upb is pretty good in doubles though when you can't rely on being able to fully abuse a character. i usually prefer uair tho... just works better for me.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
What strategies do you all use to not get hit? Spacing with fat and slow gorillas is a challenge, but at this point I've invested so much time into DK that training someone else is wrong. The damage just piles up, and even though DK does live forever he doesn't live forever.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
(O_O) What the heck? DK isn't fat, and he's not slow either. Quite the opposite of both, in fact. He's muscular and he's the fastest of all the heavyweights. Being the 2nd heaviest helps out quite a bit, too.

Edit: You said, "The damage just piles up..." Well, perhaps you're just trying to shield too much with him. His shield is one of the worst, you know...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Spacing is mostly with advancing or retreating bairs. You can sneak an Ftilt or dtilt in pretty easily too against most chars. Dtilt is a lot faster endlag wise so it's safer, but harder to use in-between bairs because of the turnaround required.

As far as other neutral game spacing goes, DK has a very good dash-dance and can challenge even Marth's DD game if you're good at it.

Top Bottom