• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

crifer

Smash Lord
I´m a little confused right now... in one guide here there is the hint that we should never ever try to autocancel uair??? is that true?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
probably is a hint to not try to l-cancel uair in most situations, as unless you start it really late in your shorthop it is unnecessary. uair auto-cancels frame 14.

Pi

Smash Hero
I want to play DK
kind of
all i want to be able to do is 0-death CG people on FD
who can i do that too? fox falco and cfalcon?
i just want something i can practice on my own time to whip out and impress & embarass people

also, does side B & up b have additional shield decay?

does DK ahve anything that can easily be aerial interrupted?

also, can you give me a run down of the spacie CG on FD?
what should I start out with, i'm assuming cargo upthrow CG till XX%
then upair juggles, then punch if i have it or fair?

or have i got that all wrong?

Dimitris

Smash Ace
You should check out Brahma's guide, and the general stickied guide too.

Cargo-Up: This is what sets up many of DK’s awesome juggles.

Vs. Fastfallers: This move is an absolute nightmare for fastfallers, as you can grab them and put some ridiculous damage on them. At 0% if you grab them, and Cargo-U, you can usually get a free Giant Punch/U-smash/D-smash/U-tilts for damage racking. Also you can chain-throw with this, Cargo-U dash to follow their DI, grab again and repeat until about 30-40% when you can shorthop into the Cargo-U, then land and begin your shuffl’d Up-air juggles then finish with a Giant Punch/F-air for the KO (To see some great examples of this check out the vid of Captain Jack (DK) vs. ikki (Fox), and CJ vs. Delani (Falco)).
Think there's a slight error though, by "shuffl'd up-air juggles", he means ff auto-canceled up-air juggles, right?

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Head Smash: Up A

Speed: Fast
Range: Medium
Start time: Fast
Priority: Decent
Lag Time: Low
Knockback: Decent
Total frames: 44
Hit frames: 6-8
IASA frame: 38
Auto cancel: <5 13>
Landlag: 25
Lcanceled: 12
Damage: 14%

NJzFinest: DK's most notorious move. This will be your main move when comboing and KOing off the top. Up air is a move that you never want to Lcancel. Become accustomed to being able to short hop + fastfall this while never pressing L/R, the move autocancels quick enough. After you do a cargo up throw on any character, this will almost always be the move of choice. As far as specific combos go, this will be covered more later in the guide.
As a move on it's own, it KOs about 30% later then Fox's Uair. But, it's the lower knock back of this move that makes it such a great tool for juggling combos. For fast fallers, you can land Uairs into regrabs at lower percents and chain them continously at higher percents. On average falling characters such as Roy/Sheik/Ganon/Link, you can start comboing them repeatively with Uairs from just one cargo setup. On the slower falling characters like Marth/Peach/YLink, you can definitely string Uairs on them, but they almost always need to be above you already as you punish them with a Uair. These combos are always very % based. For the even slower fallers, you can get one Uair, but that is still better then no damage (especially since most characters can't combo them well at all) and these characters are the easiest to KO with this move.
That's really good too.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I want to play DK
kind of
all i want to be able to do is 0-death CG people on FD
who can i do that too? fox falco and cfalcon?
i just want something i can practice on my own time to whip out and impress & embarass people
you can't 0-death CF. i never bothered to find out the minimum %, but at like 10ish% you can uthrow uair regrab as a combo, but not at 0% (& normal cg doesn't work).
also, does side B & up b have additional shield decay?
side-b definitely
up-b im going to get back to you on that. i think so though.
does DK ahve anything that can easily be aerial interrupted?
I don't quite get what you're asking. You mean that Samus thing where you ledgehop uair and just land?

Nedech

Smash Apprentice
Hey - NO! That's just wrong. DK is to be played only with the original outfit!

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Oh come on, the legendary yeti DK makes your opponent nervous for sure.
Should have made his tie black or something though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
these west coast players thinking they can "claim" a color... mang.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
these west coast players thinking they can "claim" a color... mang.
Let's put it this way, if you see a green dk, who are you going to think it is if you don't know beforehand? Mine of course. And lets also put it this way, if you see a non green dk, and someone says it's me, are you going to believe them? No. Just like when someone claimed that a video of some random dk and peach was me and armada. I never beat armada and i don't use the black dk. So i've unofficially claimed the color green for dk

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
got 2nd at a tourney today.. i went all DK outside of Grand Finals cuz I wanted to get 1st ($$$$$). gf's was 3-2 then 3-2 :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
he's so good lol, whenever i use him i'm just like "wow i have so many options, and I can apply pressure, too?"

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i got this lol. i don't use fox at bigger tourneys, only at locals.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
don't mind him max he's just a sheik player I 3-0'd w/ DK last weekend.

Max?

Smash Champion
don't mind him max he's just a sheik player I 3-0'd w/ DK last weekend.
Blasphemy

Grab him and needle him when he recovers.

/matchup
Sounds about right.

@ Dora. Platform camp, don't just into DK's hat (aka the area around his head where he gets the strong hit of the UpB), throw lots of needles, grab him and tech chase. Get him off stage and throw aerial needles at his recovery, and then grab the ledge and use invincibility frames with a bair to KO him.

DK's shield sucks, his maneuverability isn't so hot, he's fat, doesn't have a projectile, and has one of the most linear approaches in the game. All your combos work on him, and you pretty much dictate the whole match, where by comparison, DK's combo game on you is pretty mediocre and he struggles to get in and doesn't punish nearly as hard.

Top Bottom