• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ashley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Every character so far in any SSB has been either important to a franchise as a whole (Ashley doesn't fit in this catagory), a main character from a single game in a series (for games like Mother and FE that completely change cast with each game), a clone (and even the clones had a fairly high level of importance in their respective series') or a transformation (Sheik and Zamus aren't particularly important).

I dare say that Ashley fits into none of these catagories.

Jiggly puff and pikachu werent important in the pokemon games, they were only important in the cartoon, which doesnt affect the decisions.

Weve only had 2 ssb games up to now, so dont tell my you can read Sakurai's intentions from just that. He said it HIMSELF that he wanted more females in brawl, so I believe just that increases Ashley's chances.

You're looking at the patterns up till now, but thats not how they base decisions, you dont know if ashley is in or not.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Jiggly puff and pikachu werent important in the pokemon games, they were only important in the cartoon, which doesnt affect the decisions.

Weve only had 2 ssb games up to now, so dont tell my you can read Sakurai's intentions from just that. He said it HIMSELF that he wanted more females in brawl, so I believe just that increases Ashley's chances.

You're looking at the patterns up till now, but thats not how they base decisions, you dont know if ashley is in or not.
Pokémon is the exception to the rules because no Pokémon is more important than another. And you're wrong, SSB IS influenced by the Pokémon anime - why else would all of the Pokémon speak in their Anime voices? In the canon games, they just growled and screeched. Plus Misty's trophy was clearly based on her Anime self.

One last thing - where on Earth did Sakurai say he wanted more females? Sounds like BS to me. But even if he did, Mona, a significantly more important Wario character, would serve just as well.

RDK

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff's and Pichu's importance and popularity in the anime obviously effected the decision, or else they wouldn't have been in Melee.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pokémon is the exception to the rules because no Pokémon is more important than another. And you're wrong, SSB IS influenced by the Pokémon anime - why else would all of the Pokémon speak in their Anime voices? In the canon games, they just growled and screeched. Plus Misty's trophy was clearly based on her Anime self.

One last thing - where on Earth did Sakurai say he wanted more females? Sounds like BS to me. But even if he did, Mona, a significantly more important Wario character, would serve just as well.
Im too lazy to dig up the quote just for you but maybe someone has a link or something..

As for pokemon, if you play the game and talk to a pokemon in a town they've always said their names, so the anime took it from the game. Lucario and Mewtwo are significant enough, the 3 starters is where it all started, so I see no reason to put jiggly and pika, but like I said, I dont make the decisions, sakurai does.

Mr game and watch wasnt popular, he's just retro.

Anyway, Im just saying theres more to take into account when choosing playable characters, and we can only manage so far with logical reasoning.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
what could mona do that Ashley can't? Mona can't do squat! Ashley's a witch! end story!
Ooh, what a compelling argument. But you seem to be under-estimating her projectile throwing Animals, her Scooter, her leet Baton skills, her Rollerskates, her Bass guitar and her various other skills. I dare say she is the most diverse character of all the Wario crew (including Wario himself).

But moveset potential is irrelevant; importance is a far greater factor - Starfy had a much greater moveset potential than Fox, but who got a spot on the roster? Mona has appeared in three more Wario games than Ashley and plays much more important roles.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Jigglypuff's and Pichu's importance and popularity in the anime obviously effected the decision, or else they wouldn't have been in Melee.
In the anime only Jigglypuff could actually be argued to be important to the anime since Jigglypuff shadows Ash and friends for many episodes singing that stupid song.

Pichu is not important period. Its a baby form of Pikachu that is wildly popular among the Japanese and apparently, that was enough to warrant a spot in Melee.

In the end, neither Pichu or Jigglypuff were actually important in the games they have been in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I heard that inclusion of characters had to be based purely on games, and that nothing outside of it should influence the game,.. but I havent heard that from any officical nintendo person so it may not be accurate..

who knows

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The fact of the matter is Ashley has no influence or any importance anywhere. Don't give me "She's popular." because she was maybe mentioned ONCE before that update with the song came along.

Pikachu is arguably the most famous video game character of all time, even had its own game which was based off of the Anime.

The Anime and the games themselves are almost as important as each other in the Pokemon series so yhea whatever.

Pichu was also added as a last minute clone and was the only real Pokemon they could chose... they could have chosen Riachu as well (Which would have been much better) but apparently Pichu was more popular.

Edit: **** accidentally clicking out of the box while typing. Gimmie a minute to finish this post...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
He hasn't, it's a misinterpretation of when Sakurai said he happy enough to include ZS Samus because there was a lack of females in Smash. He's acknowledged that there aren't many females in smash, but hasn't actually said he's going to do anything about it.

TheGlitchMaster said:
oo, touce', but, Mona would be weird, even for Brawl. she'd be just awkward.
Considering the mix of characters we've seen so far in brawl and previous smashes, I don't see how Mona would be awkward at all.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
I heard that inclusion of characters had to be based purely on games, and that nothing outside of it should influence the game,.. but I havent heard that from any officical nintendo person so it may not be accurate..

who knows
Well, it's hardly coincidence that every SSB playable Pokémon holds importance to the Anime, is it?

And Jigglypuff DOES hold importance to the games - the Jigglypuff evolution chain is one of the few evolution chains (along with Pikachu, Tentacool, Clefairy, Zubat) to have appeared in every regional Pokédex.

oo, touce', but, Mona would be weird, even for Brawl. she'd be just awkward.
It'd be just as awkward as having Ashley in Brawl. Personally I'd prefer Jimmy T. over both of them.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Card has already made this argument better than anyone, so maybe everyone could go reread his post and stop rambling?

Also, Jigglypuff is very very popular in Japan. Like Pikachu. They were both included for that reason and that reason only, and the reasons they became popular aren't relevant.

They are important to the Pokemon series. The only Pokemon that are vital to the game are starters (Being represented) and hugely overpowered super legendary characters (Mewtwo, but luckily he isn't huge). So they go to the next most important thing in the series (The Anime), now if Warioware had an Anime that has over 500 episodes and is as famous to the series as the games are then of course it would influence Sakurai's decision. But it doesn't.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeh, but it doesn't matter, she may still be in, whatever logic you may come up with.
Huge "MAY" Right there, Even a second WW Rep is questionable with all the other franchises sakurai has to go through, And even IF There is one then it would probably be a more important one like Mona or Jimmy T <_<.

So she has little chance.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well, it's hardly coincidence that every SSB playable Pokémon holds importance to the Anime, is it?
Pichu doesn't hold importance to the anime. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Pichu is simply a popular pokemon, mostly because its Pikachu in diapers. :rolleyes:

And Jigglypuff DOES hold importance to the games - the Jigglypuff evolution chain is one of the few evolution chains (along with Pikachu, Tentacool, Clefairy, Zubat) to have appeared in every regional Pokédex.
What?! You call that importance? Look at the pokemon you just listed with Pikachu. Tentacool, Zubat, and Clefairy? At least in Pokemon yellow, you had no choice, but to drag the rat around. Jigglypuff was just another pokemon in the games, the evolution chain is really not a good indicator of importance. Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds are what you would consider pokemon that held importance to the games.

It'd be just as awkward as having Ashley in Brawl. Personally I'd prefer Jimmy T. over both of them.
Oh God. Having a witch as a playable character is a little less odd than having a disco king as one. Give me a break.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Card has already made this argument better than anyone, so maybe everyone could go reread his post and stop rambling?

Also, Jigglypuff is very very popular in Japan. Like Pikachu. They were both included for that reason and that reason only, and the reasons they became popular aren't relevant.
Just because it's large and you didn't read it doesn't mean he had the best arguement. All he did, was make a sheet of arguements that were argued seperately among all of those disagreeing on Ashley's confirmation as a PC.

Citation please. I hate how people always say "x" is popular in japan so they're shoe-ins without proof. Besides, they were there because of the anime, much like Pit.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Oh God. Having a witch as a playable character is a little less odd than having a disco king as one. Give me a break.
I never said that. I said that I'd prefer Jimmy T.

Besides, Warioware is all about the odd, so doesn't it make sense to have equally odd representatives?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
By your flawed logic, Michael Jackson may still be in, whatever logic you may come up with.
You miss.

Ashley is a nintendo character. she has not been deconfirmed, thus she still has a chance, Sakurai may have chosen to put her as a playable character theres no way to know.

y3nia659

Smash Ace
... Even a second WW Rep is questionable with all the other franchises sakurai has to go through... IF There is one then it would probably be a more important one like Mona or Jimmy T <_<.

So she has little chance.
Thirdkoopa your a smart person, you're the one who showed me that despite Starfox being a small series it still had two reps in Melee ;) and unfortunatly Sakurai will go through all those other franchises and put them as AT's (some, like Little Mac, Jill Dozer, Stafy) About your second statement, im sure it's up to Sakurai to chose.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yeh, but it doesn't matter, she may still be in, whatever logic you may come up with.
My arse can make it in at this point, no matter how minute the chance. Saying that "Well, she still has a chance to get in" is stupid, because it can be said about any character.

And about 2nd WW reps: if WW even does get a 2nd rep, it's definetely not going to be Ashley. Jimmy T or 9-Volt are much more likely.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
mmm, maybe Ashley AND mona?
No.
3 WW Reps won't happen, I'm sure of it.

Thirdkoopa your a smart person, you're the one who showed me that despite Starfox being a small series it still had two reps in Melee ;) and unfortunatly Sakurai will go through all those other franchises and put them as AT's (some, like Little Mac, Jill Dozer, Stafy) About your second statement, im sure it's up to Sakurai to chose.
:p Thanks.
Well i kinda of agree there that it's unlikely that we see a second WW Rep and if there was one then it would probably be to someone more 'Important' To the series as a whole.

And can you stop with the "SHE STILL HAS A CHANCE" Since she does it's very low, Now can we stop stretching that :p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom