• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
How so? Ness' neutral game completely outclasses Lucas', not to mention Ness actually has a semi decent approach with his down angled PK fire, fair and dash attack, his aerial game in general is better and even though he doesn't have as long of a grab range as Lucas his grab is much less punishable and his bthrow kills a lot earlier than Lucas' dthrow, also Ness PK Thunder is better and PK Flash > PK Freeze. I definitely think Lucas is more fun to play, but Ness is objectively a much better character.
Lucas is harder to Edgeguard, Hard to punish auto cancelled nair, PK fire is better for zoning(kinda like a projectile version of Kirby's Bair/MK's Fair etc.) Lots of PSI magnet mixups for approaching. Dair-Dtilt-Death lock at >85 on basically all characters who dont know how to DI it. Zair DJ cancel wavedashing. Still gets grab released, but harder to do since it needs to be buffered. PK thunder gimp potential. Better tilts and jabs. Just as many kill moves, if not more, than Ness. Nobody uses PK flash or PK freeze competitively anyway...

I dont know, its looking kinda close. xD. When I say I think Lucas is better than Ness, I dont mean by much. I think they're about the same on the tier list.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Lucas is harder to Edgeguard, Hard to punish auto cancelled nair, PK fire is better for zoning(kinda like a projectile version of Kirby's Bair/MK's Fair etc.) Lots of PSI magnet mixups for approaching. Dair-Dtilt-Death lock at >85 on basically all characters who dont know how to DI it. Zair DJ cancel wavedashing. Still gets grab released, but harder to do since it needs to be buffered. PK thunder gimp potential. Better tilts and jabs. Just as many kill moves, if not more, than Ness. Nobody uses PK flash or PK freeze competitively anyway...

I dont know, its looking kinda close. xD. When I say I think Lucas is better than Ness, I dont mean by much. I think they're about the same on the tier list.
Lucas' PK Fire's startup is way to slow for it to be useful for zoning, PSI magnet is not an effective approach, Lucas' dair is way to easy to DI for that to be considered a reliable kill setup, Lucas' jab is slower and has less hitstun than Ness, it's very easy to punish and Ness' utilt is better, also Lucas probably has more kill options than Ness, but they're all much more telegraphed, Ness has a much easier time killing, all he needs is a grab, Lucas has to either get a dtilt lock, or a hard read on a smash attack. I don't think they're close at all.

Edit: Also, while Lucas' nair is pretty good, I still think Ness' is better, it's like a slightly less good version of Peach's.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
Pick one, you can't have both. Also Yoshi's Story is the best Wolf stage, you can just land side-b on the ground lol.
True, but it has terrible ending lag so you're pretty much screwed if you miss that lol

That stage also messes with my AC's and some of my mixups, so I personally don't like it much unless I'm fighting a chain grabber. D3, Falco, Icies, etc

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Lucas' PK Fire's startup is way to slow for it to be useful for zoning, PSI magnet is not an effective approach, Lucas' dair is way to easy to DI for that to be considered a reliable kill setup, Lucas' jab is slower and has less hitstun than Ness, it's very easy to punish and Ness' utilt is better, also Lucas probably has more kill options than Ness, but they're all much more telegraphed, Ness has a much easier time killing, all he needs is a grab, Lucas has to either get a dtilt lock, or a hard read on a smash attack. I don't think they're close at all.

Edit: Also, while Lucas' nair is pretty good, I still think Ness' is better, it's like a slightly less good version of Peach's.
Wavebounced PSI magnet IS an effective approach, also kill move. SH PK fire has little landing lag. Lucas's f-tilt is better, Jab is relatively equal, plus is way more used than Ness'. D-air is easy to DI out of, but can only be DIed out of a few frames when the move begins, which requires pretty good reaction time to get out of. DIing up towards the middle-end does nothing for you. F-smash is 10 frames faster than MKs, and about the same cooldown as Marth's. Pivot grab is slightly worse than Yoshi's, and has Uthrow followups.
---
Ness may be better, in your case. But im telling you its not by much. Maybe 1 or 2 characters being in between them. Keep in mind this is just my opinion, which makes it not fact. I dont, but I could say Ganon was the best in the game, that doesn't make it fact. Nevertheless, you convinced me to take back the Lucas > Ness claim I made earlier. ;)

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
GGs everyone in the free for all, but I can see that more of us made it lag some more. It was pretty nice nonetheless and good job Ace on winning that one with Mario.

GGs as well Snailtopus nice getting to play you again, and almost got me Yoshi vs ZSS.

Last but not least GGs Meteor. That ZSS match was fail my part I screwed up my 1st and last stock lol. I haven't did that in a long time, but you got me though.

I noticed I was playing really impatient in some those. I got hit by a lot of dodged move counters.

Plenty of close calls lol. Gotta be more careful next time.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
GGs everyone in the free for all, but I can see that more of us made it lag some more. It was pretty nice nonetheless and good job Ace on winning that one with Mario.

GGs as well Snailtopus nice getting to play you again, and almost got me Yoshi vs ZSS.

GG's everyone. Fun FFA's (usually I dont like FFA's)

L&B, good stuff as usual. I want to see more of that Fox, especially because yesterday Ace declared he would no longer main him :surprised: and Fox is one of my favorite matchups for some reason

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited
Bros-M: GGs to everyone. Sorry, it felt like I crashed the FFA. XD
People played tennis with me most of them time and I was gone before you knew it.

DAS, I'm still scared of that Peach.... Some of the things you do is like... how is that even possible. You made Luigi cry.

Don't worry, I started getting hype everytime you K.Oed me early, which led to me getting K.Oed again... and again. Sometimes it's good when I get hype while playing, but I tend to roll WAY to much. Like with the Marth vs Rob match, rolled right into your next attack *facepalm*.

Really enjoy playing with you. GGs.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
GGs Joey~ We played for quite a while :O

I couldn't keep up with your Diddy in some of those, and I think you got me with Yoshi a couple times... I started getting it together there at the end though haha

That hard read on up smash through the platform with my Fox... I have no idea how I prognosticated that one xD

And that ledge tech you did after I dthrew you with Wolf when you were 200%+, that was hilariously impressive :p

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Bros-M: GGs to everyone. Sorry, it felt like I crashed the FFA. XD
People played tennis with me most of them time and I was gone before you knew it.

DAS, I'm still scared of that Peach.... Some of the things you do is like... how is that even possible. You made Luigi cry.

Don't worry, I started getting hype everytime you K.Oed me early, which led to me getting K.Oed again... and again. Sometimes it's good when I get hype while playing, but I tend to roll WAY to much. Like with the Marth vs Rob match, rolled right into your next attack *facepalm*.

Really enjoy playing with you. GGs.

Lol well you guys are getting better. I do like Peach since you can be so creative with her at times. That is what makes her fun to use.

I get hyped too which makes me more aggressive on the last stock lol. Not a good idea most of the time since the opponent tends to be more careful now.

Last stock usually the hardest.

You were playing it right to keep some distance though. There were rolls, but I didn't capitalize on them much unfortunately.

I enjoy playing against you as well.

Anyway I'm about to go for now. I'll probably be back again later.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
GGs Joey~ We played for quite a while :O

I couldn't keep up with your Diddy in some of those, and I think you got me with Yoshi a couple times... I started getting it together there at the end though haha

That hard read on up smash through the platform with my Fox... I have no idea how I prognosticated that one xD

And that ledge tech you did after I dthrew you with Wolf when you were 200%+, that was hilariously impressive :p

lol, thanks man. Ledge techs, classic Snail. Hate to admit it but I couldnt help but chuckle every time I got you with an egg lay
What did you think of Ness? I think once I get PK Thunder 2 down for recovery, and work on a few ATs, practice some spacing, and I'll be solid

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
lol, thanks man. Ledge techs, classic Snail. Hate to admit it but I couldnt help but chuckle every time I got you with an egg lay
What did you think of Ness? I think once I get PK Thunder 2 down for recovery, and work on a few ATs, practice some spacing, and I'll be solid
Lol dat egg lay. You caught me snoozin' a couple times with it haha. I facepalmed both times :p

Your Ness was pretty impressive for just recently picking him up, you used that yoyo nicely. Just work on controlling that PK thunder for recovery as you said, and he'll be a solid character for you~

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

stop posting about lucas,please,you don't know **** about him

ness is better but most of the reasons you mentioned are wrong.

lol at ness pk thunder being better than lucas',that was probably your worst mistake.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
iirc Lucas's f-smash is stupid fast and strong. Both forward and up aerials kill decently, and his throws are pretty strong. Uhmm....i also think f-tilt is a killer at high %s.

I pretty much didn't like fighting lucas at all till i learned his hitboxes and options.

Imo I feel more of Ness' options are more telegraphed then Lucas'. I feel Lucas' options/gimmicks has overall more utility and movement options in different situations, just from playing as them from time to time. Its just that Ness is apperently the better character. Idk, i don't really follow the PK kids.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Anyone want to brawl? :3

Edit: Still here~
:p

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
@Lukinhass: Ness' PK Thunder has more kill power than Lucas', but Lucas' is better for edgeguarding, even though it's extremely punishable if you aren't proficient enough with it to use it to get away before your opponent gets back to the stage.

Anyone want to do a rotation or doubles on brawl with j-slo and I?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
@Lukinhass: Ness' PK Thunder has more kill power than Lucas', but Lucas' is better for edgeguarding, even though it's extremely punishable if you aren't proficient enough with it to use it to get away before your opponent gets back to the stage.

Anyone want to do a rotation or doubles on brawl with j-slo and I?
Ill play.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
GGs Matty, J-Slow, and DeadJames. Had fun

Sorry about that last game Matty. Was just tryin Falcon out. But i couldnt really do much. The character is soo...weird

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Is anyone up for a few matches? :p

... Why am I always the only one here? xD

Edit: Nvm.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
GGs, Alexo.
Yeah GGs Im still down to play some more later if you want.

Quick question: Do you think I would do well in a local tournament? Ive never been to a tournament, and I want to hear from someone(thats not one of my casual friends) who has played me a good bit.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah GGs Im still down to play some more later if you want.

Quick question: Do you think I would do well in a local tournament? Ive never been to a tournament, and I want to hear from someone(thats not one of my casual friends) who has played me a good bit.
It's hard to say for sure it really depends on who enters, if you have the chance you should definitely go though, even if you lose it will be a learning experience and you'll only be out like maybe $5 or $10, locals usually don't cost much to enter, and you should seek out the best player there and ask them to grind out some friendlies with you and see if they'd be willing to give you advice to improve your game.

Top Bottom