• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
you guys ***** too much.

lucas, quit sucking johns ****. he didn't make it on. he had some good wins and some worse losses. i am surprised that sneak was in the cluster**** after losing to me, but whatever.

to you guys thinking this **** is dumb and biased, get over it. PR's are not serious enough to even GET biased over. nobody even looks at this region that hard. they see pp on top and twitch becoming a threat whenever he's allowed to actually get out of this state. that's the only think another region would really get out of looking at our PR's. conspiracy theories are dumb.

you should have to go to 2 tournaments to get PR'd. especially if we only have one update in 6 MONTHS. having yay and theo and even david (who i think only went to one) on here is silly to me. one tourney in 6 months does not appear to be active.

carry on with arguments.

GofG

Smash Champion
what is wrong with wanting the closest thing to an objective determination of skill?

what is wrong with lucas sucking my ****?

what is wrong with you?

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
someone tell me the flaws to this idea asap

skill will be the name of the variable that represents your ability to get as close to 1st on the PRs as possible without touching it (the PP tangent)

you can't get on the PRs without beating PR'd people right?

so if you beat someone on the PRs, whatever ranking should decide how many points you get

beating...
1st place = 10
2nd = 9
3rd = 8
4th = 7
5th = 6
6th = 5
7th = 4
8th = 3
9th = 2
10th = 1

if you already are on the PRs, you start with the amount of points that represents your ranking.

this also solves the attendance problem. if you can't show up and get points, then i hope you're eating **** and dying.

i'm just trying to start somewhere simple, i know it gets more complicated, but if the bare bones of the idea seemed acceptable, i'd be willing to get into it.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so if i money matched josh and won, i could not enter any tournaments and probably get PR'd next round.

hrmm...not bad....

lets go with cam's idea.

edit: gofg doesn't need to be defended. you just popping in, guns blazing, stating everything good he did and then saying nobody is taking you seriously when people bring in the other set counts just seems like a little bit of **** sucking.

also, theres nothing wrong with getting future ones right. but *****ing about the current one given our current way of getting the rankings doesn't seem to do us any good.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
you would have the same amount of points as josh for the next round at that point. you would have to sustain yourself and go to ****.

when you lose to a person on the PRs, you are penalized by half of their numbered ranking.

i never thought about the MM thing though. this system might actually put some of the hype back in NC haha.

money matches to get points baby

<__< might get outta hand, but so far, seems worth a try

someone please debunk me immediately before the panel has to do actual work

(it better be sufficient)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm...so if i beat you and lose to pp, i still have negative two?

aww mannnn :(

not entering anything instantly becomes greater than losing to kevin.

also, what is the weight of losing to nonames? -10 points? - 3 points? - 1098240850 points?

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
no i don't mean what they are worth for points, what they're ranking is

you lose 0.5 for losing to PP

and 5 for losing to #10

my bad, the wording i used sucked.

haven't gottten to the penalization for losing to no names... maybe 6.5 haha.

it seems as far as MMs are concerned, one problem with this is how to limit the amount of points you can earn. money matches might have to either be worth far less than tourneys, or mean nothing to the actual data (i.e. like now).

the math probably ****s up somewhere else, come on, somebody, more flaws.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
still does not cover what losing to nonames (IE me) would mean. if i were to beat you in a mm, it would actually put you in a spot where you would have to beat number 3 or something just to break even. I have everything to gain PR wise, and you have everything to lose. as hype as it is, you have no real incentive to accept, barring the money.

i guess that's always how it's been, where all the risk is on the PR'd person, but it seems a lot heavier in this point system...i could be wrong though.

edit: yeah, mm's always have been tough.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
what about... your points are simply halved for losing to an unranked player, if you're PR'd? that way if you're 10th, instead of having -5.5 or something, you just 0.5. i mean, you're already that close to the bottom anyways.

see any issues there? lol my head is so lazy

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
That's not what happened chris lol but you're not going to listen to me anyway so its not like it matters

God damnit I hate it when people miss the point I try to make, and then I'm the bad guy for talkin jeez

:phone:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
ranking history is an important thing that i think is sometimes overlooked. at least, the right aspect of it.

if there were to be a point system (which, from a conversation with sneak a long *** time ago, definitely seems like the best way to go) i think what you were on the last ranking should factor into the equation. and if your new only from inactivity, but you've been normally pretty highly ranked, depending on the other players around you, there should be some sort of consideration for that.

points are just solid though. they're whole and understandable. unless you want to keep being bothered about the way you guys go about doing things, SOLIDIFY what it is you do, for EVERYONE to understand. this arbitrary stuff just doesn't seem to work out that well. (please do not say "either way it's arbitrary" or anything of that nature, you will die if you do)
It is arbitrary either way, whether you like that response or not. The current process is solidified but because of bad data people are upset. This would have happened no matter what. It is not the fault of the process but of the data. Next update will be better I am fairly certain. Yay will still be quit and Theo will still be gone and there will be no ties.

That paragraph before your points argument is really vague and I don't know how to argue with it.

you guys ***** too much.

lucas, quit sucking johns ****. he didn't make it on. he had some good wins and some worse losses. i am surprised that sneak was in the cluster**** after losing to me, but whatever.

to you guys thinking this **** is dumb and biased, get over it. PR's are not serious enough to even GET biased over. nobody even looks at this region that hard. they see pp on top and twitch becoming a threat whenever he's allowed to actually get out of this state. that's the only think another region would really get out of looking at our PR's. conspiracy theories are dumb.

you should have to go to 2 tournaments to get PR'd. especially if we only have one update in 6 MONTHS. having yay and theo and even david (who i think only went to one) on here is silly to me. one tourney in 6 months does not appear to be active.

carry on with arguments.
<3

Was gonna respond to some of Cam's other posts but g2g dinner.

lord karn

Smash Master
what about... your points are simply halved for losing to an unranked player, if you're PR'd? that way if you're 10th, instead of having -5.5 or something, you just 0.5. i mean, you're already that close to the bottom anyways.

see any issues there? lol my head is so lazy
Then if someone really good like lozr got unranked due to inactivity (or for any reason really) decided to come back then it would just be really unlucky and get their points halved.

For instance:

Unranked lozr comes back and enters a tournament or two.

Beats dop (ranked like 3 or something, points halved)

Just so happens he doesn't run in to me in bracket.

In this case dop might end up having less points than me just because he just so happened to run into lozr and I didn't.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
sanketh always beats me in melee and says im sandbagging when im not =[
how do I convince him I'm really trying?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This is strange...actual discussion about the PR in a PR thread.

This never happens in Florida, except for maybe 6 hours after it's release.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
y'all dont have a cutoff limit for MMs to count?
for brawl its $5. it'd be silly if u could just $1 mm people and use that for PRs imo

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You need panelists and you should have to do it with a panelist there, with a minimum of 5$. It becomes equivalent to a normal PR win/loss.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well......I never really thought about it lately. I guess any time you MM someone decent I'd hope you do it for at least $5 so both parties know it's serious, but I never specified an amount before.

I'm fine with keeping it $5 minimum so everyone has an understanding about it though, if everyone else is cool with it.

Linguini

Smash Master
articunas beat rock crock at CEO, destroyed fearless, almost beat uber ice.....

went even with linguini in friendlies enough to make him salty and avoid counter picking green greens.

just saying. He must of choked bad, he's been playing a long time with no tournament exp. He's def l0zr/dop level though. A lot better than most of NC.

Just an FYI :p
loooool I recall him beating me in the first couple of matches and then me brutally ****** for the rest of the 3/4 of the time....just saiyan :cool:

GofG

Smash Champion
we in this ****

that was surprisingly easy

gonna put a list of every match and setcount (if available) I am aware of, which would be in every NC tourney results posting that i am aware of and could search for. if anyone knows of anything else *which has a known date* then i'd like it.

Top Bottom