• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
DO ADVENTURE TIME HOLY **** YES.

okay OPINION time.
michael should not be on these, and neither should aasem. michael quit before this ranking period basically, so it's a bit odd for him to be ranked in a game he doesn't play anymore. aasem hasn't been active enough (tournament wise) to remain on these iirc.

also what did theo go to this period?

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
lol josh, you SHOULD be this high... it's like you keep forgetting what PRs are for. you deserve #3 because, ****, that's what you earned.

i just find it hilarious that if yay is on these rankings.... what in the holy ****in sam hell kind of data were they using.

the 3 way tie STILL gets me crackin. i woke up this morning and went to that first page.

i was like.

"S***."

lord karn

Smash Master
not that i believe i should be on the PRs

but at G6 if I remember correctly I forfeited to articanus due to drug-induce
d exhaustion.

e: well, I remember being told afterwards that I had forfeited because I couldn't be roused. i did not know it was to this player.
honestly, I don't know what we do in this case. Hmmmmm. I guess we should check out the data to see if it makes a difference.

I think your relevant data was:

beat sneak
beat cam
lost to david
lost to robert
articanus!?!?!?

Did you win/lose to anyone else relevant in pools?

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
he beat me in pools

we never played in bracket

and john, you should DEFINITELY be on these PRs. i have data from the last 3 tournaments.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
this keeps getting better

if it escalates to the point where karn finally admits he's an alien trying to take over the Earth, and that he strategically chose the NC Power Ranking panel as the place to start, i will quit.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Double post since editing on my phone sux... we need to get this season started so im deciding to start hosting small biweeklies at my place. when I move things around I have enough room for about 7 or 8 setups and can fit about 20 to 25 people in here. Now we just need to figure out a good date for everyone and I will make preparations. Start posting dates

:phone:

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Just curious, what were Twitch's win/losses? I think I follow the logic of the higher placings but I'd like to hear it.

For the record, as best I can recall, I beat: Karn, Cam, Chris, Mott, Twitch (OOS: Cornell and BBQ)

Losses were: Kevin, Ali (OOS: Full Metal x2)

And I really don't think Theo or Yay should be on there, as it won't benefit bracket making in upcoming tourneys. Also, it makes even less sense when we have so many players in close contention for the latter few spots.

I'm kinda of the opinion that John's loss to Articanus (if it really mattered) shouldn't hold any weight, being that they never actually played. It makes sense that Art was given the win in bracket but to go so far as to punish John's PR chances for forfeiting because he was too sick too play seems a little silly.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
is any oos melee going to TGM3? cause if not we could just make TGM all brawl and have the first one be on that day.

otherwise, i guess the weekend after that would work, assuming this weekend is too short notice.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

LOOOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOL

(I agree with cam)

edit:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

edit2:

LOL... I wonder if I should say it.

btw.. i like the name switch josh

lord karn

Smash Master
Just curious, what were Twitch's win/losses? I think I follow the logic of the higher placings but I'd like to hear it.

For the record, as best I can recall, I beat: Karn, Cam, Chris, Mott, Twitch (OOS: Cornell and BBQ)

And I really don't think Theo or Yay should be on there, as it won't benefit bracket making in upcoming tourneys. Also, it makes even less sense when we have so many players in close contention for the latter few spots.

I'm kinda of the opinion that John's loss to Articanus (if it really mattered) shouldn't hold any weight, being that they never actually played. It makes sense that Art was given the win in bracket but to go so far as to punish John's PR chances for forfeiting because he was too sick too play seems a little silly.
Twitch beat yay, and didn't he beat you in one set as well? Don't remember right now. I think the biggest things were his beating yay and your losing to ali.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Twitch beat yay, and didn't he beat you in one set as well? Don't remember right now. I think the biggest things were his beating yay and your losing to ali.
Twitch and I only played one set last period and it was 2-1.

So wait...

Twitch beating Yay (who shouldn't be on the PR's now, as he is retired/inactive) and losing to me (an unranked player) is somehow better than my losing to a high ranked player (Ali) and a win over Twitch himself? O_o

Didn't Twitch also have a loss to Cam too (even though they came out 1-1)? I 2-0'd Cam, so I had better record there too.

Logic?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
josh, it does look like you lost to twitch at G6:3 in the bracket. so you two are 1-1. jus so ya kno.

and i think at the time of twitch beating yay, it did kinda matter, considering yay's placing on the previous pr's. he's inactive now though, so i guess you could consider it a notable oos win? idk...lol. prs...

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
josh, it does look like you lost to twitch at G6:3 in the bracket. so you two are 1-1. jus so ya kno.

and i think at the time of twitch beating yay, it did kinda matter, considering yay's placing on the previous pr's. he's inactive now though, so i guess you could consider it a notable oos win? idk...lol. prs...
Did I? Alright, that makes more sense then. I thought I remembered losing to Kevin.

It's just such a feasible thing to happen. :[

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ok so if i DID care about these things i would say:

guh, sometimes i wish placing did matter. at the only tournament both me karn theo and sneak and ron entered, i placed over the other three. that was indeed the only tournament out of the four theo entered but his placing gets him the spot. and he's in ****ING SCOTLAND. ****ING. SCOTLAND.

and is there anywhere we can see the bracket that must have gotten david onto these? i wanna see it.

and if i knew that hickory tournament would be so worthless, i wouldn't have gone.

JK, it was fun.

****ing scotland.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
the seeding/pools should be done best as possible then it SHOULD be off of placing mainly(like in most of any competitive ranking system, period), and a *little* discretion in regard to whom they're facing so no one gets ****ed over. that is what ****s up the rankings..1) doing it like that or 2) giving your friend a good seed. Doing it just by who beat who is some gay smoke and mirrors obama horse ****.

No offense, but since I didn't get a response about the Menage a trois at 10th, I gotta say What the ****? You decided to make an exception with this 3-way tie for two panelists, 1 who publicly said he didn't want to be ranked, and the 3rd party involved has close relation to the other aforementioned panelist?

Anyway, don't let me stop the panel now. You guys have truly been on a roll for ****ing up something so remarkably simple for quite some time now. Carry on, don't let Big Daddy Dorsey stir anything up.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
The sheer fact that Theo is in another country and obviously not going to be able to attend tournaments this next period should be a decent enough reason to just put him in the HM's or Skilled but inactives or whatever.

Chris, I ****ing agree. Scotland. :glare:

EDIT: What we should do is remove Yay and Theo. What is the purpose PR'ing players who can't/won't possibly show up next period?

Then just post the records of David, Alex, Earl and John. Top 2 are the 9 and 10 spot. Simple.

EDIT: I played some Fox this period too. Just FYI.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
The 10th spot me and karn had nothing to do with, just so you guys know. David beat me karn and gofg and lost once to karn and dop. Theo also beat cam if I remember correctly chris even though you beat me, I wasn't ranked and cam was. So it was kinda him beating a ranked player vs you beating non ranked players. Hopefully that helps

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Double post since editing on my phone sux... we need to get this season started so im deciding to start hosting small biweeklies at my place. when I move things around I have enough room for about 7 or 8 setups and can fit about 20 to 25 people in here. Now we just need to figure out a good date for everyone and I will make preparations. Start posting dates

I'm fine with any time in October that is not whenever TO7 is.

Lol do other states Have pr debates like we do?

They do.

Karn covered Twitch already, but they came to tournaments so they should be judged fairly. We'll update the rankings for their lack of activity if they are still gone next period. They earned their spots.

John forfeited to Articanus that's like forfeiting and losing in bracket. Why not forfeit in bracket to anyone you could lose to if it helps out your PR argument then?

is any oos melee going to TGM3? cause if not we could just make TGM all brawl and have the first one be on that day.

otherwise, i guess the weekend after that would work, assuming this weekend is too short notice.
No one besides you and I have said anything about going to TGM3 for Melee. I don't know why but that needs to change. COME ON NC MELEE!!!

Pretty much what chris said. Honestly, there might have been more but I don't remember. God, my memory sucks.
It's okay I saved our convo haha.

the seeding/pools should be done best as possible then it SHOULD be off of placing mainly(like in most of any competitive ranking system, period), and a *little* discretion in regard to whom they're facing so no one gets ****ed over. that is what ****s up the rankings..1) doing it like that or 2) giving your friend a good seed. Doing it just by who beat who is some gay smoke and mirrors obama horse ****.

No offense, but since I didn't get a response about the Menage a trois at 10th, I gotta say What the ****? You decided to make an exception with this 3-way tie for two panelists, 1 who publicly said he didn't want to be ranked, and the 3rd party involved has close relation to the other aforementioned panelist?

Anyway, don't let me stop the panel now. You guys have truly been on a roll for ****ing up something so remarkably simple for quite some time now. Carry on, don't let Big Daddy Dorsey stir anything up.
It's not that different from placings. If you actually look at lists based on placings vs set counts you'll find that they're actually pretty similar. This period happens to have a few more differences IIIII think but at any rate set counts control for fluke brackets and the like.

The 3 way tie was solely my decision which is why Karn didn't post about it. Sneak and Karn had absolutely no part in the decision and I think it's pretty insulting to imply that personal connections had to do with that decision. I would have put you in that given the same data even though you just insulted me, by the way. The data was literally TOO CLOSE TO CALL. I could have put one of the panelists and said screw it and you would have all cried bias, or I could have left the data as it was, too close to call by our standards without inserting bias, and left it up to your interpretation.

You're fine. I expected responses like this. =)

The sheer fact that Theo is in another country and obviously not going to be able to attend tournaments this next period should be a decent enough reason to just put him in the HM's or Skilled but inactives or whatever.

Chris, I ****ing agree. Scotland. :glare:

EDIT: What we should do is remove Yay and Theo. What is the purpose PR'ing players who can't/won't possibly show up next period?

Then just post the records of David, Alex, Earl and John. Top 2 are the 9 and 10 spot. Simple.

EDIT: I played some Fox this period too. Just FYI.
We rank players who earned their spots, and that's it. Why be biased with the data? If they don't show up again then they will be taken off, but I don't understand why we wouldn't give a spot on the PR or ignore data to someone who has proven themselves.

There is going to be Melee at TGM3 right?
Hopefully......

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
sneak, neither you nor karn have the credentials equivalent to David for the #10 spot.

i don't really care what yall's reasoning is, or who made the final decision with that. and, no, i'm not even speculating that this is some sort of conspiracy to have everyone on the panel in the top 10 (lmfao), although that idea does indeed excite me. no, all i'm saying is, it's ****ing wrong
(i.e. incorrect).

the fact that, whoever-tf-it-was, thought that something like this was even within the realm of necessity is dafter than daffy duck, imo.

EDIT:

*beep*
This is Eagle Hawk 90, over.

*radiovoice*
Yeah Bob, we're gettin here that Kevin Nanney came up with the 3-way tie idea, over.

*beep*
We got a visual?

*radiovoice*
Yep, sendin it now.

*beep*
Damn, look at those hips, over.

lord karn

Smash Master
Alex explain the menage a trois at #10 for me.
I beat david in a set, and lost to him in a set. Other than that, I had no losses that would hurt me for a lower spot like 10.

Sneak beat theo, which is a good win. Otherwise, sneak lost to gofg, david, and someone else I think, but I don't remember for sure.

David beat me in a set, beat gofg, and beat sneak, but lost to me in a set as well. Pretty similar results to me, but just has way way less data overall.

Neither sneak nor I had any choice in this 10th spot. I told PP the data and told him to make the decision bc people always freaking accuse me of being biased.

I did not know about the gofg not playing articanus thing. Depending on whether or not we actually count that as a loss, it may or may not give the tenth spot to him. I don't really have an opinion on whether or not we should count it.

As for taking yay/theo off, I'm kind of against it. They had the results they had, so I gave them the spot they deserved based off of that. They very well may not come to any tournaments this period (obviously not for theo), but that is still the result they got. My main reason for being against it is because it gives the players who get bumped up into those spots a false sense of accomplishment. Keeping them there does not mess up seeding at all. We simply just go to the next person on the ranking and give them theo/yay's seed.

Using set counts is the only method that makes any kind of sense, but I don't feel like explaining it for the 829473298473209487th time. Long story short, it is the only method that can account at all for random **** like bracket placement and stuff. It automatically includes attendance in it as well. That's the reason yay/lozr/dop are all low. They didn't get enough data to be put higher. I think it's pretty obvious they would be higher than those above them if they had gotten more data. Choosing a cutoff number like 2 tournaments or something is completely arbitrary and would make the rankings even more inaccurate (having lozr/dop/yay where they are is more accurate than not having them on at all).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
sneak, neither you no karn has the credentials of David for the #10 spot.

i don't really care what yall's reasoning is, or who made the final decision with that. and, no, i'm not even speculating that this is some sort of conspiracy to have everyone on the panel in the top 10 (lmfao), although that idea does indeed excite me. no, all i'm saying is, it's ****ing wrong (i.e. incorrect).

the fact that, whoever-tf-it-was, thought that something like this was even within the realm of necessity is dafter than daffy duck, imo.

EDIT:

*beep*
This is Eagle Hawk 90, over.

*radiovoice*
Yeah Bob, we're gettin here that Kevin Nanney came up with the 3-way tie idea, over.

*beep*
We got a visual?

*radiovoice*
Yep, sendin it now.

*beep*
Damn, look at those hips.
so how would you have interpreted the data?

Top Bottom