• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I imagine it was suppose to be a return for "Donkey Kong Country" (the kind of game) itself, in fact, during the first years things look promising considering we got Tropical Freeze as the very next Retro Game... but then... nothing. Internal creative problems? The DK brand after Tropical Freeze only really appeared in some Mario Spin Offs, some reference to Arcade DK, and well, Smash Bros.

Donkey Kong now needs a "Donkey Kong Country The Second Coming"
Yeah of course that was their goal, but it has been disappointing still. Up to the point DK is mentioned amongst the likes of F-Zero and Golden Sun when it comes to neglected franchises.

There have been two mainline titles but no spinoffs , and the biggest love the series got in the Mario games are references in Odyssey and Donkey Kong Adventure in Mario vs Rabbits. Diddy doesn't even steadily appear in Mario spinoffs no more.

I think a lot had to do with mismanagement on the Retro Studios projects and especially Metroid Prime 4 being such a time consuming mess , but you'd imagine they would be able to come up with at least something ? Nintendo I mean then of course. There's no reason they couldn't let the Mario Kart or Splatoon team handle DK I feel. I would even settle for the Chinese remake of DKC Returns (on their own Chinese Nintendo system, don't know the name of it but it looks solid).

Kuantity and Kremlings are more than a worthy sacrifice for games of Returns and Tropical Freeze's quality. I'd love to see more spin-offs, but not as a substitute for major releases.
Not as a substitute no, but there's no reason not to have them at this current moment. Maybe it has to do with Nintendo not being as willing to experiment with their franchises as much, but then again there are total new experiments too nowadays as Pokemon open world and fighting games, Pokemon Go and Unite, open world Zelda, Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors, makes it kind of weird they couldn't do say, a DK racing or beat em up or anything.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
at least DK's in a position where it might get reived, though nintendo probably count the tropical freeze port of a new release, same can't be said for the series

Quillion

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong : DK needs its own dedicated team, not stealing an EPD team that's dedicated to other things.

And even if DKC characters don't appear in the spinoffs that much right now, the spinoffs as a whole have been getting worse in many ways, so I can't really blame that on DK neglect.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mario + Rabbids was a way better crossover choice than Mario + Rayman - the Rabbids are more malleable characters from a more malleable universe, pretty much all of the super cool stuff they did in Mario + Rabbids wouldn't be possible within the established Rayman universe.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think with DK, it was a case of bad luck in two different eras.

In the aughts, you had plenty of different parties working on the franchise, but all of them with a factor that prevented a real mainline series of DK to come back until DKC Returns. Paon had an enthusiasm and interest in the lore of the IP, but were a smaller studio, one increasingly moving towards portable/mobile games and thus may not have been seen as ideal for making a main console entry. Rare had the experience and know how to make DKC titles work, however Microsoft's ownership limiting them to the GBA, and a possible reluctance by Nintendo to rely on a competitor owned studio kept them firmly in remake territory. Bandai Namco had platformer experience and Japanese presence, yet were largely brought on to lend their Taiko no Tatsujin experience for the Konga series. Finally though Nintendo core studios had the ability and access to make mainline titles, the tendency towards creative experiments meant a straight followup to the Country trilogy wasn't likely, especially given the reluctance to use characters/elements they didn't make out of deference to the original creators.

The past dozen or so years had DK fall victim to the same problem numerous Nintendo franchises have in that many spin-offs have disappeared. Mario and Zelda are the golden gooses (geese?) and Game Freak/HAL Labs having their independence meant that side games from Pokemon and Kirby respectively are common. But DK, like Metroid, saw its spin-offs greatly diminish in the waning years of the Wii, and that in combination with the struggle to find a main developer for the series has meant a mainline and side title drought. And even Nintendo's attempt to rectify this with the latter IP via Federation Force was seen as so tone deaf to the interests of the broader fanbase that the game's reputation never recovered and it released to incredibly weak sales. Its entirely possible that the reaction to FF may have broadcast a message that a spin-off (even with a good developer) is not guaranteed profit and in fact can be actively rejected for being perceived as an inferior replacement to a mainline title.

And thus we get to where we are now; where DK is well known and technically heavily featured in the Mario subseries and Smash, but has slowed down considerably in regards to its own output. In all honesty, if there had to be a potential new developer for the series that wasn't Nintendo EPD or Retro, then I'd say Good Feel might be worth giving a shot. They've done four Nintendo platformers (Shake It, Epic Yarn, Woolly World, Crafted World); all of them visually distinct and the first three being very strong games. And the special worlds in WW demontrate they can do challenging but fair platform levels when given a chance.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think with DK, it was a case of bad luck in two different eras.

In the aughts, you had plenty of different parties working on the franchise, but all of them with a factor that prevented a real mainline series of DK to come back until DKC Returns. Paon had an enthusiasm and interest in the lore of the IP, but were a smaller studios and one increasingly moving towards portable/mobile games and thus may not have been seen as ideal for making a main console entry. Rare had the experience and know how to make DKC titles work, however Microsoft's ownership limiting them to the GBA, and a possible reluctance by Nintendo to rely on a competitor owned studio kept them firmly in remake territory. Bandai Namco had platformer experience and Japanese presence, yet were largely brought on to lend their Taiko no Tatsujin experience for the Konga series. Finally though Nintendo core studios had the ability and access to make mainline titles, the tendency towards creative experiments meant a straight followup to the Country trilogy wasn't likely, especially given the reluctance to use characters/elements they didn't make out of deference to the original creators.

The past dozen or so years had DK fall victim to the same problem numerous Nintendo franchises have in that many spin-offs have disappeared. Mario and Zelda are the golden gooses (geese?) and Game Freak/HAL Labs having their independence meant that side games from Pokemon and Kirby respectively are common. But DK, like Metroid, saw its spin-offs greatly diminish in the waning years of the Wii, and that in combination with the struggle to find a main developer for the series has meant a mainline and side title drought. And even Nintendo's attempt to rectify this with the latter IP via Federation Force was seen as so tone deaf to the interests of the broader fanbase that the game's reputation never recovered and it released to incredibly weak sales. Its entirely possible that the reaction to FF may have broadcast a message that a spin-off (even with a good developer) is not guaranteed profit and in fact can be actively rejected for being perceived as an inferior replacement to a mainline title.

And thus we get to where we are know; where DK is well known and technically heavily featured in the Mario subseries and Smash, but has slowed down considerably in regards to its own output. In all honesty, if there had to be a potential new developer for the series that wasn't Nintendo EPD or Retro, then I'd say Good Feel might be worth giving a shot. They've done four Nintendo platformers (Shake It, Epic Yarn, Woolly World, Crafted World); all of them visually distinct and the first three being very strong games. And the special worlds in WW demontrate they can do challenging but fair platform levels when given a chance.
im all for DK’s woolly world

UserKev

Smash Champion
I wish Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS wasn't so short lived. Wii U/3DS had a special release while Ultimate just feels lifeless in comparison. And kinda shoved at us. I still remember Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS unique character reveal trailers and various commercial adds while Ultimate just feels.. forgettable.

There's just something about Wii U/3DS that makes me look back more fondly on it rather than remembering Ultimate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wish Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS wasn't so short lived. Wii U/3DS had a special release while Ultimate just feels lifeless in comparison. And kinda shoved at us. I still remember Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS unique character reveal trailers and various commercial adds while Ultimate just feels.. forgettable.

There's just something about Wii U/3DS that makes me look back more fondly on it rather than remembering Ultimate.
I'm confused on this comment.

Ultimate still had unique character trailers and ads.

Not sure what you're talking about frankly.

Troykv

Smash Master

I think Kev means that Smash Ultimate had an extremely fast release cycle compared with Brawl and Smash 4; also that there was a lot less uncertainty waiting until release, because the first proper reveal of the game throw the big bomb that everyone was here, that in one hand made the initial reveal very hype, but I suppose made Kev feel a lot less excite going forward of how the rest of the pre-release period was, with the uncertaintly for the most part gone.

Though I imagine is mostly the release window thing, going from waiting around one year and half with Brawl and Smash 4, to waiting just half a year made the speculation period quite different. Also there is the detail that well... Iwata was unable to add his flair to Ultimate's promotion.

UserKev

Smash Champion

It will be difficult to explain. You know me well Swamp Sensei. But Troykv has an idea of what I'm feeling.

I think Kev means that Smash Ultimate had an extremely fast release cycle compared with Brawl and Smash 4; also that there was a lot less uncertainty waiting until release, because the first proper reveal of the game throw the big bomb that everyone was here, that in one hand made the initial reveal very hype, but I suppose made Kev feel a lot less excite going forward of how the rest of the pre-release period was, with the uncertaintly for the most part gone.

Though I imagine is mostly the release window thing, going from waiting around one year and half with Brawl and Smash 4, to waiting just half a year made the speculation period quite different. Also there is the detail that well... Iwata was unable to add his flair to Ultimate's promotion.
Basically. Honestly, Smash is better released as if it follows an anniversary pattern. It was ok the first few times. Now its just getting.. less exciting. By the time Ultimate was announced, there was no time to let things cool down and rebuild, for lack of a better word. I feel like Ultimate was released more simply to please the competition scene, not that its bad. Ultimate just seem to lack its own identity, being it brought back a treasure trove of classic stages that Ultimately made its own stages it could have introduced seem empty. I feel like Ultimate was released during a period where every major Nintendo IP and similar, where's hype were already built going into Wii U/3DS and Ultimate was given the left overs, for how it was handled.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I never got why people have such strong opinions on the Mario RPGs.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I never got why people have such strong opinions on the Mario RPGs.
I believe I can offer some context on that. I think a lot of people have a close attachment to the Mario RPG's because they were their first/gateway roleplaying game and because they can be a fulfillment of the character/story elements people have often wanted for the mainline games but have rarely gotten.

Just speaking for myself, but Mario RPG back in 1996 was the first game in that genre I ever really experienced, one that not only got me eventually playing other ones like Chrono Trigger & FFVI, but ironically made it trickier to adjust to them: "No timed hits and random battles you can't avoid, the hell?". And as other spiritual successors have come down the line (Paper Mario, Superstar Saga) they've often fulfilled the same role for newer generations. While opinions on such games by hardcore JRPG fans vary ("Its baby's first RPG" vs those that think their mechanics should be emulated more often), they've ended up being very meaningful to people regardless because that Mario association drew them in, the solid gameplay made them stay. and the interesting fundamentals of RPGs had them try other ones.

Moreover the narratives and casts of such games play a part too; the charm of the Mario series familiar faces and/or settings paired with plots that actually allow some fun and interesting exploration of them to happen. Thus you get partners in the Paper Mario series that become popular for their charm, M&L villains like Fawful become remembered because of the screen time allowed by a long play time, and the mystique/nature of Geno contrasted against the likes of Bowser or Peach giving him a fandom lasting far longer than even the creators of SMRPG could have expected. Essentially the best aspects of the Mario series get improved by the best elements of the genre to make for some memorable experiences.

Overall I think those two factors help explain why people get so passionate about the series and why there is some heated back and forth about Nintendo's choices with them; to a lot of people they're formative and emotionally important in a way that even certain AAA Nintendo franchises are not.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I believe I can offer some context on that. I think a lot of people have a close attachment to the Mario RPG's because they were their first/gateway roleplaying game and because they can be a fulfillment of the character/story elements people have often wanted for the mainline games but have rarely gotten.

Just speaking for myself, but Mario RPG back in 1996 was the first game in that genre I ever really experienced, one that not only got me eventually playing other ones like Chrono Trigger & FFVI, but ironically made it trickier to adjust to them: "No timed hits and random battles you can't avoid, the hell?". And as other spiritual successors have come down the line (Paper Mario, Superstar Saga) they've often fulfilled the same role for newer generations. While opinions on such games by hardcore JRPG fans vary ("Its baby's first RPG" vs those that think their mechanics should be emulated more often), they've ended up being very meaningful to people regardless because that Mario association drew them in, the solid gameplay made them stay. and the interesting fundamentals of RPGs had them try other ones.

Moreover the narratives and casts of such games play a part too; the charm of the Mario series familiar faces and/or settings paired with plots that actually allow some fun and interesting exploration of them to happen. Thus you get partners in the Paper Mario series that become popular for their charm, M&L villains like Fawful become remembered because of the screen time allowed by a long play time, and the mystique/nature of Geno contrasted against the likes of Bowser or Peach giving him a fandom lasting far longer than even the creators of SMRPG could have expected. Essentially the best aspects of the Mario series get improved by the best elements of the genre to make for some memorable experiences.

Overall I think those two factors help explain why people get so passionate about the series and why there is some heated back and forth about Nintendo's choices with them; to a lot of people they're formative and emotionally important in a way that even certain AAA Nintendo franchises are not.
I feel the Mario and Luigi RPGs where is especially wholesome. Paper Mario too until after Super Paper Mario (which was very wholesome if a little unorthodox, but it was a Mario RPG own its own with great platforming and good story). I never had much special attachment towards SMRPG, maybe cause I never played it in its hayday, am from Europe after all (and could barely understand English that age, even if I did quite understand the menus in DKC and even Pokemon Red).

However I think if Nintendo has to branch out one of its home series towards RPGs, it's Zelda. It just fits way better. The themes, the characters, the story, it's very much RPG without it being one. Just imagine a typical SNES / NES / GB Zelda over world with Link still being able to slash enemies to engage combat, but the actual battle is more RPG like? Kinda like what Dragon Quest does, but keeping it more traditional Zelda-like.

I think they should at least attempt it once.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel the Mario and Luigi RPGs where is especially wholesome. Paper Mario too until after Super Paper Mario (which was very wholesome if a little unorthodox, but it was a Mario RPG own its own with great platforming and good story). I never had much special attachment towards SMRPG, maybe cause I never played it in its hayday, am from Europe after all (and could barely understand English that age, even if I did quite understand the menus in DKC and even Pokemon Red).

However I think if Nintendo has to branch out one of its home series towards RPGs, it's Zelda. It just fits way better. The themes, the characters, the story, it's very much RPG without it being one. Just imagine a typical SNES / NES / GB Zelda over world with Link still being able to slash enemies to engage combat, but the actual battle is more RPG like? Kinda like what Dragon Quest does, but keeping it more traditional Zelda-like.

I think they should at least attempt it once.
Actually, would you believe me if I told you it was recently discovered that we ALMOST had a Zelda RPG (specifically a strategy RPG)?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually, would you believe me if I told you it was recently discovered that we ALMOST had a Zelda RPG (specifically a strategy RPG)?

So THAT was the Sheik focussed game !? Would've been awesome, not gonna lie. A strategic RPG would be great, I already stated before I'd like a crossover between Zelda and Fire Emblem. Just make a Fire Emblem game with the Zelda thematics, it would work like magic! Just let Intelligent Systems do it, they already proved before they could handle Mario, what would be more difficult with Zelda ?

I hope they revisit this idea!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So THAT was the Sheik focussed game !? Would've been awesome, not gonna lie. A strategic RPG would be great, I already stated before I'd like a crossover between Zelda and Fire Emblem. Just make a Fire Emblem game with the Zelda thematics, it would work like magic! Just let Intelligent Systems do it, they already proved before they could handle Mario, what would be more difficult with Zelda ?

I hope they revisit this idea!
Actually, the Sheik game was something else. Heroes of Hyrule was something they learned about while reseaeching the Sheik game. Here's the original video for context (warning: slight swearing at points):

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually, the Sheik game was something else. Heroes of Hyrule was something they learned about while reseaeching the Sheik game. Here's the original video for context (warning: slight swearing at points):

I'll go check that out ! Seems very interesting, and since Nintendo likes to revisit ideas, they should consider going for this approach again. It has long been said that Retro Studios can do two projects at once now with their size increase, let's hope they're not only working on Metroid Prime 4.

Speaking of, the thought of Metroid Prime 4 just bugs me in such a way I almost wish they'd abandon the whole project and let Mercury Stream and Team Ninja handle the project instead, or maybe Next Level or Namco. I would hate for Retro to become the new Rare, having so many ideas only to constantly be rejected by Nintendo. Wish they could just stay making consistent Donkey Kong games at least.
does that include the japan version of thousand year door with the chalk outline of a toad?
I really don't know about that stuff honestly, all I know is Intelligent Systems handled Mario very well and if they'd ever opt to make a Zelda Strategic RPG it should be Intelligent Systems working closely with the Zelda team. Maybe add Koei Tecmo since they handled both Zelda and Fire Emblem before.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: DK64 and Wario World laid good foundations for a 3D DK game and 3D Wario platformer, respectively. I know the reasons why they didn't get further iterated on, but I think it's a pretty big shame that they didn't. Their flaws could have been ironed out pretty easily if only another attempt or two at making follow-ups had been made. Though, at least the DK series has a pretty good chance that the next game could be a 3D platformer. I'll be a little disappointed if we're back to 2D again (though I'll be grateful for a new DK game above all else).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So, for those who watched the Direct (this is technically spoilers and I can spoiler it if someone really wants me to, but it's not about any of huge releases): Did anyone else think Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life looked really bad? I read that it's a remake, so I guess that's why. It's the almost complete lack of shading on everything, makes it look like a very early Gamecube game. They have nearly a year to polish the graphics up and I hope they do

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, for those who watched the Direct (this is technically spoilers and I can spoiler it if someone really wants me to, but it's not about any of huge releases): Did anyone else think Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life looked really bad? I read that it's a remake, so I guess that's why. It's the almost complete lack of shading on everything, makes it look like a very early Gamecube game. They have nearly a year to polish the graphics up and I hope they do
Wrong thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Today's Direct I think has somewhat clarified a certain feeling I've had in the back of my mind for a while, and I really wanted to collect my thoughts so that the following came more from heavy consideration rather than outright emotion. (Do forgive the major self indulgence of this post).

I've played my Switch a great deal the last five years and it might very well the console I've bought the most games for. However, in spite of that, there's been a sense of quiet disenchantment with Nintendo for some time and couldn't really understand why, especially given that the turnaround from the previous console. The Wii U era was one filled with a lot of frustration at what I was seeing, but there was a certain quiet satisfaction in that it felt like the decisions that were alienating me as a fan were not paying dividends for the company and in fact were being outright rejected by much the market. The Switch's success and quantity of titles on paper then should be something that's been much more rewarding and while it has, I just don't feel as engaged by much of the major output.

The reason for that is the slow realization that Nintendo's priorities with games don't really allign with mine anymore. Oh they've put out things I've liked, BotW was an experience, much of Mario Odyssey is fantastic, Smash's greatness speaks for itself, and even spin-offs like Age of Calamity get a lot of play. However when I look a the landscape of the system, so much of my interests seem to lie with indie titles or certain one offs by third parties. Metroid Dread and to a lesser degree Kirby and the Forgotten Land are the only two major games in the last 18 months that have really grabbed my attention. So much else just are either series I formerly liked that now feel undercooked (see the Mario Sports games) or are belonging to genres that simply don't interest me (see the online focus of Splatoon or the many, many SRPG/JRPG releases).

Now, when watching the Direct, its hard to not sense that Nintendo's big focus simply isn't with the kind of games that I'm really into or are just shinier versions of older titles I did like. Now keep in mind, this is not a doom and gloom post, I have no doubt a new DK, more Metroid, and maybe Star Fox is coming down the pipeline. But however understandable it is that certain series essentially need a dedicated studio for them to come out with any regularity, none of that changes the fact that given Nintendo's resources and reach, finding and utilizing such teams potentially could have happened sooner if was considered important enough. Quantity has a quality all its own, and in that sense the make up of major games from them has increasingly become one from high level series/genres that nonetheless aren't terribly attractive to my tastes. The (admittedly idealized) image of Nintendo in my head and the current reality of it don't really match these days.

And you know what? That's okay.

Geek Critique (a genuinely fantastic content creator, please check him out), put out a video looking at the change in the industry beginning with the 6th generation, illustrating how the focus changed and what it was like feeling increasingly alienated by the direction everything was going. As much as he does note the unfortunate trends about what constituted mature content and "real games" he does note that it was ultimately a necessary evolution; a shift taking place in gaming's adolescence that ultimately made it stronger in the end. Many of his style games would come back, the kind of games he initially wrote off proved to be quite good, and much of his disappointment was rooted in his own chaotic growth from being a kid to becoming a teenager and ultimately an adult.

I bring it up because my ultimate conclusion is not bitterness at Nintendo's direction or antipathy towards the IP's that feel like they're getting all the attention. Its an understanding that companies/industries/fandoms? They all change and grow over time and Nintendo at this point has a gaming structure that has brought them back to the forefront of gaming and made a heck of a lot of people happy. There's entire generations of younger fans having their own deep connection to Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Splatoon, etc just as I did with Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox 64 back in the day. I realize now that stubbornly clinging to a specific idea of what Nintendo is supposed to do and expecting that they're going to put out that magical Direct that features all the sequels and revivals I want is foolhardy and (as silly as it sounds) ultimately letting go of that emotional expectation is probably best for ones own mental health.

Yet there's some peace to be had from the knowledge that really exciting presentations are still happening for people, even if not for me. Moreover the indie scene is providing a lot of the kind of titles I do love and the Switch as the means to that has proven to be a worthwhile time. Spiritual successors are wonderful things, for every franchise that has gone into hibernation, there are numerous ones looking to fill the gap, and often with their own new spins of it. The Ori duology brought back a sense 2D atmospheric aesthetics and level design I hadn't experienced since the DKC SNES trilogy and I cherish it deeply because of that. The Metroidvania renaissance in general has been a remarkable journey in the past few years and ensured that gaps in Metroid releases will never feel as long as they once did.

I guess my overall reason for posting this long diatribe is that for some that have ever felt like I have in any way about Nintendo (or any company for that matter), that I would just say to not give into cynicism and/or resentment. Gaming is too varied and life is too short let one's disappointment about it dominate your outlook. One very often doesn't get what they want out this industry, but there's so much real quality out there that is worth trying if you look hard enough and let yourself experience it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Today's Direct I think has somewhat clarified a certain feeling I've had in the back of my mind for a while, and I really wanted to collect my thoughts so that the following came more from heavy consideration rather than outright emotion. (Do forgive the major self indulgence of this post).

I've played my Switch a great deal the last five years and it might very well the console I've bought the most games for. However, in spite of that, there's been a sense of quiet disenchantment with Nintendo for some time and couldn't really understand why, especially given that the turnaround from the previous console. The Wii U era was one filled with a lot of frustration at what I was seeing, but there was a certain quiet satisfaction in that it felt like the decisions that were alienating me as a fan were not paying dividends for the company and in fact were being outright rejected by much the market. The Switch's success and quantity of titles on paper then should be something that's been much more rewarding and while it has, I just don't feel as engaged by much of the major output.

The reason for that is the slow realization that Nintendo's priorities with games don't really allign with mine anymore. Oh they've put out things I've liked, BotW was an experience, much of Mario Odyssey is fantastic, Smash's greatness speaks for itself, and even spin-offs like Age of Calamity get a lot of play. However when I look a the landscape of the system, so much of my interests seem to lie with indie titles or certain one offs by third parties. Metroid Dread and to a lesser degree Kirby and the Forgotten Land are the only two major games in the last 18 months that have really grabbed my attention. So much else just are either series I formerly liked that now feel undercooked (see the Mario Sports games) or are belonging to genres that simply don't interest me (see the online focus of Splatoon or the many, many SRPG/JRPG releases).

Now, when watching the Direct, its hard to not sense that Nintendo's big focus simply isn't with the kind of games that I'm really into or are just shinier versions of older titles I did like. Now keep in mind, this is not a doom and gloom post, I have no doubt a new DK, more Metroid, and maybe Star Fox is coming down the pipeline. But however understandable it is that certain series essentially need a dedicated studio for them to come out with any regularity, none of that changes the fact that given Nintendo's resources and reach, finding and utilizing such teams potentially could have happened sooner if was considered important enough. Quantity has a quality all its own, and in that sense the make up of major games from them has increasingly become one from high level series/genres that nonetheless aren't terribly attractive to my tastes. The (admittedly idealized) image of Nintendo in my head and the current reality of it don't really match these days.

And you know what? That's okay.

Geek Critique (a genuinely fantastic content creator, please check him out), put out a video looking at the change in the industry beginning with the 6th generation, illustrating how the focus changed and what it was like feeling increasingly alienated by the direction everything was going. As much as he does note the unfortunate trends about what constituted mature content and "real games" he does note that it was ultimately a necessary evolution; a shift taking place in gaming's adolescence that ultimately made it stronger in the end. Many of his style games would come back, the kind of games he initially wrote off proved to be quite good, and much of his disappointment was rooted in his own chaotic growth from being a kid to becoming a teenager and ultimately an adult.

I bring it up because my ultimate conclusion is not bitterness at Nintendo's direction or antipathy towards the IP's that feel like they're getting all the attention. Its an understanding that companies/industries/fandoms? They all change and grow over time and Nintendo at this point has a gaming structure that has brought them back to the forefront of gaming and made a heck of a lot of people happy. There's entire generations of younger fans having their own deep connection to Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Splatoon, etc just as I did with Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox 64 back in the day. I realize now that stubbornly clinging to a specific idea of what Nintendo is supposed to do and expecting that they're going to put out that magical Direct that features all the sequels and revivals I want is foolhardy and (as silly as it sounds) ultimately letting go of that emotional expectation is probably best for ones own mental health.

Yet there's some peace to be had from the knowledge that really exciting presentations are still happening for people, even if not for me. Moreover the indie scene is providing a lot of the kind of titles I do love and the Switch as the means to that has proven to be a worthwhile time. Spiritual successors are wonderful things, for every franchise that has gone into hibernation, there are numerous ones looking to fill the gap, and often with their own new spins of it. The Ori duology brought back a sense 2D atmospheric aesthetics and level design I hadn't experienced since the DKC SNES trilogy and I cherish it deeply because of that. The Metroidvania renaissance in general has been a remarkable journey in the past few years and ensured that gaps in Metroid releases will never feel as long as they once did.

I guess my overall reason for posting this long diatribe is that for some that have ever felt like I have in any way about Nintendo (or any company for that matter), that I would just say to not give into cynicism and/or resentment. Gaming is too varied and life is too short let one's disappointment about it dominate your outlook. One very often doesn't get what they want out this industry, but there's so much real quality out there that is worth trying if you look hard enough and let yourself experience it.
star fox isn't coming back

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Hard to say one way or another. Miyamoto has a strong interest in it, but it has had diminishing returns. My prediction? A series that will pop in every once is a while, but never with the same regularity it once had.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Why doesn't that count as an unpopular opinion? Just because it's an unpopular opinion related to a recent direct doesn't mean it isn't fitting of the thread
well if anything even vaguely nintendo related is allowed then soon the other thread will have nothing to talk about

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
well if anything even vaguely nintendo related is allowed then soon the other thread will have nothing to talk about
Why are you trying to mini mod dude?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't think Illumination are inherently a bad choice for the Mario movie - they're really good at physical slapstick, which is really the tone the Mario movie should be going for, and their "fun first, story second" mentality blends with Mario perfectly - I just wish they were better at writing stories and dialogue to support the slapstick monkeyshines, and the casting makes me think they aren't aiming for silent.

All things considered I feel Aardman would've been the ideal pick - they are incredible at writing silent characters and jokes, as well as balancing silly fun with darker elements - but claymation is expensive and I can't imagine them wanting to make a feature-length movie that doesn't take place in Britain or wasn't adapted from British source material. (then again a ton of their TV creations have very little visible British-ness, so who knows?)

Sony and Dreamworks are decent picks, but I don't think their style blends as well with Mario as Illumination even if they do tend to do really good by the source material they're given faithful-ness wise. Those two are more about cool, suave, snarky - I feel a Mario movie should aim for cute, silly, fun.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
All things considered I feel Aardman would've been the ideal pick - they are incredible at writing silent characters and jokes, as well as balancing silly fun with darker elements - but claymation is expensive and I can't imagine them wanting to make a feature-length movie that doesn't take place in Britain or wasn't adapted from British source material. (then again a ton of their TV creations have very little visible British-ness, so who knows?)
now there's an image

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I’ve never actually posted on this thread before but I like checking into it from time to time anyways… and, well… this place has really attracted a lot of people who really want a new DK, huh?

Well… I must honestly say that even though I too very much want a new DK, I’m okay with the wait. Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I’ve played and if we’re gonna get another game on its level, I don’t care how long I have to wait for it.

But uhhh some other kinda unpopular opinion of a sort for a different kind of topic… uhhh…

Okay I don’t actually know if this is unpopular or if it really matches the thread but I’d just like to say that I want a new Mario Baseball game but I also really really don’t cause I’m scared they’d make it awful

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think Illumination are inherently a bad choice for the Mario movie - they're really good at physical slapstick, which is really the tone the Mario movie should be going for, and their "fun first, story second" mentality blends with Mario perfectly - I just wish they were better at writing stories and dialogue to support the slapstick monkeyshines, and the casting makes me think they aren't aiming for silent.

Sony and Dreamworks are decent picks, but I don't think their style blends as well with Mario as Illumination even if they do tend to do really good by the source material they're given faithful-ness wise. Those two are more about cool, suave, snarky - I feel a Mario movie should aim for cute, silly, fun.
I'm gonna agree. Illumination have great animators. The studio's flaws are with the writers.

Since Nintendo will inevitably have a lot if creative control, they script may not be too bad.

Hey, it's weird, this is one of the times where I think Nintendo's strictness with the Mario IP is a good thing.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I certainly agree. Kremlings would've been delicious icing on an excellent cake.
I've said this many times, but the Kremlings would be a great cap-off to the DKCR series. I do think letting the series rest again after Tropical Freeze was a bit premature, but just one more DKC game with the Kremlings would be the perfect trilogy ender.

Hey, it's weird, this is one of the times where I think Nintendo's strictness with the Mario IP is a good thing.
Eh, if Nintendo is as strict as it is now, the movie might come off as a video game story rather than a good film story that wisely takes elements from the games like the second Sonic movie.

It would be the equally bad opposite extreme of the first Sonic movie.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But uhhh some other kinda unpopular opinion of a sort for a different kind of topic… uhhh…

Okay I don’t actually know if this is unpopular or if it really matches the thread but I’d just like to say that I want a new Mario Baseball game but I also really really don’t cause I’m scared they’d make it awful
God this is a mood lol. It's especially tricky because both Mario Superstar Baseball and Mario Super Sluggers, especially the latter, inherently rely on having a very large playable roster for a Mario spinoff game. And ever since Nintendo moved to HD development, sports game rosters have been incredibly small. That would kill a large part of the appeal, especially after Strikers had a similar downsizing issue.

The one saving grace, maybe, is that while Strikers is developed by the Nintendo-owned Next Level Games and as such presumably have only Nintendo's own resources, the Baseball games were developed by Bandai-Namco, so maybe they could pump in the additional funds needed for a large roster. But it's a stretch.

Top Bottom