• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Next 6 DLC Characters

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Characters I'm positive will be DLC at this point are Arle, Cinderace, and the FE protagonist that from a game that doesn't exist yet.

D

Deleted member

Characters I'm positive will be DLC at this point are Arle, Cinderace, and the FE protagonist that from a game that doesn't exist yet.
They’ve already been predetermined and FE games can take a while to make, so I doubt we’ll get another FE rep

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just got a confirmation: Fighter 6 will be a character from ARMS, but which one we currently do not know.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just got a confirmation: Fighter 6 will be a character from ARMS, but which one we currently do not know.
I feel like we can rule out Spring Man, though it would be interesting if he did get in. Not my first choice for assist trophy promotion (while I haven't played much of ARMS, he seems bland compared to everyone else), but it opens up the possibility of assist trophies making it in.

Hopefully we get a spirit promotion, at least.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Did anyone in this thread predict any ARMS character, let alone the first of FP2?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Now you guys can post your updated predictions now that Min Min is confirmed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not exactly confident in my ability to predict this game, but if I had to guess what we were going to get (in no particular order):

-Min Min (duh)

-Geno (when more fighters beyond Fighters Pass 1 were announced, I figured that we'd be getting characters that were popular choices, but the development team couldn't get permission to use them for one reason or another. As one of the last long-time requests for Smash Bros., Geno seems to fit the bill)

-a Capcom character (there are so many choices that even the idea of a full Nintendo vs. Capcom game is exciting to people. The thing is, I don't know who - my personal preference would be Dante, but I don't know when negotiations for FP2 happened - whether it was before or after Itsuno's comment or the DMC rereleases - and Capcom has plenty of viable options with Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and even Amaterasu standing out)

-a Namco-Bandai character (it seems baffling that, despite working on the past two Smash Bros. games, they just have Pac-Man. As for who, I don't know - the frontrunner for me was Heihachi, but he's a Mii costume now, and those have been treated like consolation prizes in the past. Four characters stand out to me, with caveats:
-Lloyd Irving (don't know how his popularity compares to other Tales Of protagonists, or Namco-Bandai characters in general)
-Jin Kazama (not crazy familiar with Tekken; not sure how popular/well-known he is compared to Heihachi)
-Agumon (don't know if Pokemon vs. Digimon was a thing in Japan)
-KOS-MOS (the character has a lot of moveset potential from what I've seen, and appearing in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to help, but she seems more obscure than my other picks)
I feel like I'm lacking information on Namco-Bandai characters to be able to pick one and be certain about it)

-Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Tecmo has worked on multiple Nintendo spin-offs, was involved in a main series entry for Fire Emblem, and has a long history with Nintendo stretching back to the NES days - I find it weird that they don't have a character in Smash yet)

-a western third party (the front-runners seem to be Crash Bandicoot or Rayman, though Master Chief, Steve from Minecraft, and Doomguy seem like possibilities at the very least)

The only characters that I feel fairly confident about are Geno and Ryu Hayabusa. Otherwise, much like the last time I tried this, I only have a vague idea of what companies seem likely, and even then, I'm not sure if that's because of what we already have in Smash. (And even then, there are some that I'm leaving out - I didn't even think of Arc System Works until after I typed all of this up, but they seem like a possibility given the random inclusion of Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom spirits)

Last edited:

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
-Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Tecmo has worked on multiple Nintendo spin-offs, was involved in a main series entry for Fire Emblem, and has a long history with Nintendo stretching back to the NES days - I find it weird that they don't have a character in Smash yet)
I'll tell you, what throws me off the most about Ryu Hayabusa being added is that fighters never have their last name in their name in Smash, and then we'd have two Ryus. They could certainly make an exception but then it'd throw off the whole pattern!

Koei Tecmo does really need a rep, though, I agree.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'll tell you, what throws me off the most about Ryu Hayabusa being added is that fighters never have their last name in their name in Smash, and then we'd have two Ryus. They could certainly make an exception but then it'd throw off the whole pattern!

Ryu Hayabusa is really the only possible Koei Tecmo rep who is not based on a real life person.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I can't see that being a huge issue, but Dead Or Alive simply seems to refer to him as Hayabusa, so they could go with that. (though I'm not sure if patterns are reliable, especially with something like that which could likely just be a coincidence)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not exactly confident in my ability to predict this game, but if I had to guess what we were going to get (in no particular order):

-Min Min (duh)

-Geno (when more fighters beyond Fighters Pass 1 were announced, I figured that we'd be getting characters that were popular choices, but the development team couldn't get permission to use them for one reason or another. As one of the last long-time requests for Smash Bros., Geno seems to fit the bill)

-a Capcom character (there are so many choices that even the idea of a full Nintendo vs. Capcom game is exciting to people. The thing is, I don't know who - my personal preference would be Dante, but I don't know when negotiations for FP2 happened - whether it was before or after Itsuno's comment or the DMC rereleases - and Capcom has plenty of viable options with Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and even Amaterasu standing out)

-a Namco-Bandai character (it seems baffling that, despite working on the past two Smash Bros. games, they just have Pac-Man. As for who, I don't know - the frontrunner for me was Heihachi, but he's a Mii costume now, and those have been treated like consolation prizes in the past. Four characters stand out to me, with caveats:
-Lloyd Irving (don't know how his popularity compares to other Tales Of protagonists, or Namco-Bandai characters in general)
-Jin Kazama (not crazy familiar with Tekken; not sure how popular/well-known he is compared to Heihachi)
-Agumon (don't know if Pokemon vs. Digimon was a thing in Japan)
-KOS-MOS (the character has a lot of moveset potential from what I've seen, and appearing in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to help, but she seems more obscure than my other picks)
I feel like I'm lacking information on Namco-Bandai characters to be able to pick one and be certain about it)

-a western third party (the front-runners seem to be Crash Bandicoot or Rayman, though Master Chief, Steve from Minecraft, and Doomguy seem like possibilities at the very least)

The only characters that I feel fairly confident about are Geno and Ryu Hayabusa. Otherwise, much like the last time I tried this, I only have a vague idea of what companies seem likely, and even then, I'm not sure if that's because of what we already have in Smash. (And even then, there are some that I'm leaving out - I didn't even think of Arc System Works until after I typed all of this up, but they seem like a possibility given the random inclusion of Kunio-Kun/River City Ransom spirits)
I find Geno somewhat unlikely, as the only thing he has going for him is hardcore Smash popularity. Otherwise, he is just a party member from a nearly 30 year old SNES RPG, which has no hope for a sequel, a remake, or something like that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I find Geno somewhat unlikely, as the only thing he has going for him is hardcore Smash popularity. Otherwise, he is just a party member from a nearly 30 year old SNES RPG, which has no hope for a sequel, a remake, or something like that.
Regardless, he's been a popular pick in Smash speculation for 15-20 years at this point, along with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, and (from what I've seen) Isaac from Golden Sun, to the point where Sakurai commented on his popularity and said that he's wanted Geno in Smash for both Brawl and Smash 4.

Between that, spirits no longer being a barrier, and Square-Enix seeming to be more willing to be involved in Smash (Dragon Quest getting spirits and more than two songs; the Trials of Mana spirit event), it seems like his chances are better than ever. (he's not a guarantee by any means, but this is just based on what I feel given what we've gotten already for Smash Ultimate and my assumptions when FP2 was announced) I'm not exactly confident in my choices (as evidenced by the fact that I listed four or five characters for 3/5 of the entries), but I figure that they have to be aware of how long the character's been in demand for.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Regardless, he's been a popular pick in Smash speculation for 15-20 years at this point, along with Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, and (from what I've seen) Isaac from Golden Sun, to the point where Sakurai commented on his popularity and said that he's wanted Geno in Smash for both Brawl and Smash 4.

Between that, spirits no longer being a barrier, and Square-Enix seeming to be more willing to be involved in Smash (Dragon Quest getting spirits and more than two songs; the Trials of Mana spirit event), it seems like his chances are better than ever. (he's not a guarantee by any means, but this is just based on what I feel given what we've gotten already for Smash Ultimate and my assumptions when FP2 was announced)
However, Square might want to prioritize one of their other, more popular franchises. They have a lot of them: Kingdom Hearts, Nier: Automata, The World Ends With You, Tomb Raider, Bravely Default. And the list goes on.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
However, Square might want to prioritize one of their other, more popular franchises. They have a lot of them: Kingdom Hearts, Nier: Automata, The World Ends With You, Tomb Raider, Bravely Default. And the list goes on.
They don't own Kingdom Hearts, and while they might want to prioritize one of their other franchises, the same could have been said for Microsoft going into Fighters Pass 1 (you'd think that they'd go with Halo or Minecraft over a franchise that they hadn't used in a decade), Capcom going into Smash 4 (Mega Man games were getting canceled left and right, while Monster Hunter seemed to be on the rise and Phoenix Wright was popular), etc.

There's no way of knowing for sure what goes into the decision-making process for Smash characters, or what factors get prioritized, and it likely differs from company to company. I just figure that they'd have to be willfully blind to not be aware that there's a much greater demand for Geno in Smash than for 2B in Smash, Lara Croft in Smash, Neku in Smash, etc. (I'd love to see 2B in Smash, but that seems like it would only happen in a situation similar to how Joker got in) Lara Croft's a well-known character, but I'm not sure how much of that transferred over to Smash demand.

Demand in Smash isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to roster decisions (seeing as we got Piranha Plant, Byleth, Joker...), but given the amount of characters who made it into Ultimate because of the demand for them (every veteran returning, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Richter Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, Isabelle (?), Hero, Banjo, etc.), it has definitely played a significant role.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They don't own Kingdom Hearts, and while they might want to prioritize one of their other franchises, the same could have been said for Microsoft going into Fighters Pass 1 (you'd think that they'd go with Halo or Minecraft over a franchise that they hadn't used in a decade), Capcom going into Smash 4 (Mega Man games were getting canceled left and right, while Monster Hunter seemed to be on the rise and Phoenix Wright was popular), etc.

There's no way of knowing for sure what goes into the decision-making process for Smash characters, or what factors get prioritized, and it likely differs from company to company. I just figure that they'd have to be willfully blind to not be aware that there's a much greater demand for Geno in Smash than for 2B in Smash, Lara Croft in Smash, Neku in Smash, etc. (I'd love to see 2B in Smash, but that seems like it would only happen in a situation similar to how Joker got in) Lara Croft's a well-known character, but I'm not sure how much of that transferred over to Smash demand.

Demand in Smash isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to roster decisions (seeing as we got Piranha Plant, Byleth, Joker...), but given the amount of characters who made it into Ultimate because of the demand for them (every veteran returning, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Richter Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, Isabelle (?), Hero, Banjo, etc.), it has definitely played a significant role.
Isabelle and Hero were not fan demand. Isabelle was chosen because she's basically a new mascot in her own series while Hero's series was chosen for outside of Smash popularity.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point its hard to predict who the last five will be but if I had to guess who I'm certain on as of current it's Crash and a Gen 8 Pokemon (Probably Cinderace).

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Whilst it is hard to say who will be the last five DLC characters, the only ones that I could think are in the likely category are another Xenoblade rep and maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but we don't know the full extent of whether or not Spirits deconfirm. In fact, Min Min might be the only Spirit promotion we get.
true she could be the only spirit promortion but you can no longer go around trying to shut people down just for wnting a character who happens to be a spirit (i mean you could but you'd be a jerk)

Isabelle and Hero were not fan demand. Isabelle was chosen because she's basically a new mascot in her own series while Hero's series was chosen for outside of Smash popularity.
dont forget isablle's mascots status was due to her own popularity, she may not have been a popular choice for smash but she is the most popular character in one of nintendos biggest series

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
true she could be the only spirit promortion but you can no longer go around trying to shut people down just for wnting a character who happens to be a spirit (i mean you could but you'd be a jerk)

dont forget isablle's mascots status was due to her own popularity, she may not have been a popular choice for smash but she is the most popular character in one of nintendos biggest series
Yeah. I was implying that Smash popularity and out of Smash popularity are two completely different things.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
yeah, it confuses me as well
I feel like part of the reason why it might be confusing is because Super Mario RPG wasn't released in Europe until the Wii's Virtual Console. The same thing goes for most, if not all, of SNES RPGs, including Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.

For many people growing up in the SNES era, Super Mario RPG was their first exposure to RPGs (similar to how people find Pokemon's first generation to be the most memorable, or why Final Fantasy 7 is consistently held up as the best Final Fantasy game), and Geno stood out among the cast due to his design.

Combine that with legal issues keeping him out of basically every game but Smash Bros., Mario Sports Mix, or Fortune Street (he's a Mario character owned by Square-Enix - there aren't a lot of opportunities for him to appear in anything), and that leads to a lot of demand for Smash - it's not like he can make an appearance in any Mario Kart or Mario Party game.

Basically, it seems a mix of people wanting to see more of the character (when Smash is the only opportunity for him to appear), him having a cool design, and nostalgia. I'm probably over-simplifying, but it's not like anyone needs a particularly deep reason to want a character in Smash beyond liking them and/or the game that they came from.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like part of the reason why it might be confusing is because Super Mario RPG wasn't released in Europe until the Wii's Virtual Console. The same thing goes for most, if not all, of SNES RPGs, including Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.

For many people growing up in the SNES era, Super Mario RPG was their first exposure to RPGs (similar to how people find Pokemon's first generation to be the most memorable, or why Final Fantasy 7 is consistently held up as the best Final Fantasy game), and Geno stood out among the cast due to his design.

Combine that with legal issues keeping him out of basically every game but Smash Bros., Mario Sports Mix, or Fortune Street (he's a Mario character owned by Square-Enix - there aren't a lot of opportunities for him to appear in anything), and that leads to a lot of demand for Smash - it's not like he can make an appearance in any Mario Kart or Mario Party game.

Basically, it seems a mix of people wanting to see more of the character (when Smash is the only opportunity for him to appear), him having a cool design, and nostalgia. I'm probably over-simplifying, but it's not like anyone needs a particularly deep reason to want a character in Smash beyond liking them and/or the game that they came from.
As far as I know, Sakurai just wants him because his hand is a gun. If that's what gets him in, I can't really argue with that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sakurai's not making the pics. Nintendo are.
It's not like Sakurai has absolutely no say in the matter of who gets into the game; I somehow doubt that Joker and Terry were at the top of Nintendo's list.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's not like Sakurai has absolutely no say in the matter of who gets into the game; I somehow doubt that Joker and Terry were at the top of Nintendo's list.
Joker might have been chosen to appeal to PS4 owners.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai's not making the pics. Nintendo are.
I just think it's funny how simple his reasoning is. No long paragraphs, no arguments on his importance, just "His hand is a g u n" and that's it. I don't know why, but I find that really funny for some reason.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
My prediction after Min Min,

Rex - because Sakurai wanted to add him along with an ARMS rep prior to FP2

Rayman - long overdue and has a chance now that people can stop saying "Spirits deconfirm in FP2"

Crash B. - well known and heavily requested by fans

Ryu H. - iconic retro rep and Koei Tecmo also has the Fatal Frame assist trophy and has been helping Nintendo with some of their projects lately.

Gen 8 Pokemon (Cinderace) - because if Nintendo is still choosing the DLC characters I'd imagine that they would likely want to save a character spot for Pokemon to promote the DLC Expansion Pass and based on how popular the Scorbunny line is and how it has been getting special treatment in both the games (two signature moves like Greninja and Incineroar, same H. ability as Greninja, etc.) and anime I'd say that Cinderace has the best shot.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My personal predictions of who I think who the remaining Fighter's Pass 2 characters are:

Geno
Crash Bandicoot
Lloyd Irving
Elma
Master Chief

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

have to say ive never been subjected to such bizarre nostalgia, i grew up with gen 1 but i never held it on the strange pedestal some people do. i suppose not getting mario rpg until it came to the wii and only not playing ff7 until longer after it was out so that may by why im immune in that case.

of course the way smash demand characters regardless of any legal issues youd think that would translate into other games, why do they think it would only work for smash?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
have to say ive never been subjected to such bizarre nostalgia, i grew up with gen 1 but i never held it on the strange pedestal some people do. i suppose not getting mario rpg until it came to the wii and only not playing ff7 until longer after it was out so that may by why im immune in that case.

of course the way smash demand characters regardless of any legal issues youd think that would translate into other games, why do they think it would only work for smash?
Generally speaking, this type of situation doesn't come up very often. It's not like Capcom owns Vaati from the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, or Koei-Tecmo owns Edelgard from Fire Emblem: Three Houses, despite those companies working on those games. The only times where this sort of thing comes up (at least, from what I can recall) are with the characters who originated in Super Mario RPG and maybe the racers aside from Diddy and Krunch from Diddy Kong Racing (aside from Banjo and Conker, it's unclear whether Nintendo or Microsoft owns them).

There aren't many opportunities where Square-Enix works on a game involving Mario - over the past 20+ years, it's only been two Smash games, Mario RPG, Fortune Street, and Mario Sports Mix.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but picture if those characters were owned by Koei-Tecmo. The characters are popular, it's a game that got a lot of people into the series (or even the strategy RPG genre as a whole), and it's a Nintendo franchise, yet (in this scenario) those characters couldn't be used again unless Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo happened to be collaborating on a game that involved Fire Emblem, and even then, there's no guarantee that they'd even be referenced.

It's not an exact comparison, given that Three Houses is a fairly new game while Super Mario RPG came out about 24 years ago and it's been made clear over the years that Smash is one of the few, if not the only, options for those characters to appear again, but imagine how frustrating it would be to wait that long just to see the FE:3H characters make any kind of an appearance despite being popular characters with interesting designs and/or abilities that plenty more could be done with.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Generally speaking, this type of situation doesn't come up very often. It's not like Capcom owns Vaati from the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, or Koei-Tecmo owns Edelgard from Fire Emblem: Three Houses, despite those companies working on those games. The only times where this sort of thing comes up (at least, from what I can recall) are with the characters who originated in Super Mario RPG and maybe the racers aside from Diddy and Krunch from Diddy Kong Racing (aside from Banjo and Conker, it's unclear whether Nintendo or Microsoft owns them).

There aren't many opportunities where Square-Enix works on a game involving Mario - over the past 20+ years, it's only been two Smash games, Mario RPG, Fortune Street, and Mario Sports Mix.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but picture if those characters were owned by Koei-Tecmo. The characters are popular, it's a game that got a lot of people into the series (or even the strategy RPG genre as a whole), and it's a Nintendo franchise, yet (in this scenario) those characters couldn't be used again unless Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo happened to be collaborating on a game that involved Fire Emblem, and even then, there's no guarantee that they'd even be referenced.

It's not an exact comparison, given that Three Houses is a fairly new game while Super Mario RPG came out about 24 years ago and it's been made clear over the years that Smash is one of the few, if not the only, options for those characters to appear again, but imagine how frustrating it would be to wait that long just to see the FE:3H characters make any kind of an appearance despite being popular characters with interesting designs and/or abilities that plenty more could be done with.
my point was the way smash fans make character request suggest they have not a lot of concept of the complex copyright licencing system. a fandom where people would take any sign of nintendo and SE woring together as some how increasing genos chances for smash. i mean if they dont think its a probably for smash why would they think its a problem for everything else? nintendo would have to go through the same amount of trouble for geno to appear in anything.

i suppose i can see why they think smash is some kind of mad dream factory that is some how the exception to it but it really isnt.

Top Bottom