• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Next 6 DLC Characters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't really have any predictions, aside from extremely vague ideas: a Capcom character, a Square-Enix character, a Namco-Bandai character, one or two characters from third party companies that don't have a playable character in Smash yet, and one or two Nintendo characters.

Part of that is due to missing Mii costumes, while part of it is because those four companies that I specifically mentioned still have a ton of options to work with and are already involved in Smash. (also, Smash DLC seems to be fairly third party heavy and focused on an older audience)

As for my wants...

https://i.imgur.com/i2CWQDc.png

If any one of those characters made it into Smash, I'd be happy. (well, I'm already happy with the roster, between Everyone Is Here, Ridley and K. Rool getting into the base game, and Banjo getting in as DLC, but I'd be happy with the second Fighters Pass)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that we will get any 1st party shillpicks unless a new FE game comes out between now and the end of Fighter Pass 2.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't think that we will get any 1st party shillpicks unless a new FE game comes out between now and the end of Fighter Pass 2.
The second Fighter’s Pass was likely decided around Terry’s reveal. Sword and Shield had revealed quite a bit if Pokémon then, so surely Sakurai must’ve approached Game Freak sometime prior to the Sword and Shield Spirit event.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The second Fighter’s Pass was likely decided around Terry’s reveal. Sword and Shield had revealed quite a bit if Pokémon then, so surely Sakurai must’ve approached Game Freak sometime prior to the Sword and Shield Spirit event.
All of the realistic choices weren't revealed by then.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
shillpicks?
Characters who only seem to be in Smash to promote something, like Corrin. (Whose game wasn't even released outside of Japan at the time of their Smash announcement) Though based on the wording, I'm not sure of RileyXY1 considers every first party DLC character to be a shill pick, or they just don't want another Corrin situation.

XHero

Banned via Warnings
My Predictions for fighter pass 2
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Dante from Devil May Cry
3. Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes
4. Cinderace from Pokemon Sword & Pokemon Shield
5. Doomfist from Overwatch
6. Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We could get a first party shillpick but they won’t be from Fire Emblem. Possible candidates include Xenoblade (Definitive Edition releases before E3 probably, and we might see a X Definitive Edition announced this year too), Metroid (Sylux could be a MP4 tie in), any game in an already repped series that’s getting a remaster/expanded story DLC. or a slightly late Octoling for Octo Expansion’s two year anniversary

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Characters who only seem to be in Smash to promote something, like Corrin. (Whose game wasn't even released outside of Japan at the time of their Smash announcement) Though based on the wording, I'm not sure of RileyXY1 considers every first party DLC character to be a shill pick, or they just don't want another Corrin situation.
are we really sure that they were put in for promotional purposes? from what i understood they all just really liked fates, which was one of his more believable claims

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
are we really sure that they were put in for promotional purposes? from what i understood they all just really liked fates, which was one of his more believable claims
We don't know for sure, but based on Sakurai's comments about Corrin, that seems like it played a big part.

"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot."

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I don't really have any predictions for the second fighter's pass, but I do have some wants. Some might be spirits/trophies/etc already, but they'd still be interesting characters.
Adol Christin - Protagonist of the Y's series
Dixie Kong - DKC2/3
Samurai Goroh - Original rival of Captain Falcon
Rick/Coo/Kine - Star Allies style where they change through the course of play (preferably PKMN trainer style)
Tom Nook - Animal Crossing
Reimu Hakurei - Touhou Project (Honestly, I'm way more interested in the music the series could bring than I am in the character)

I'm also hoping they expand DLC outside of Mii Costumes. I'd kill for some music packs or alt costumes/color packs for pre-existing characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We don't know for sure, but based on Sakurai's comments about Corrin, that seems like it played a big part.

"After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot."
Tfw Elma and Xenoblade Chronicles X were RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER then

then again... the 3DS and Wii U probably wouldn’t handle her mechanic? More so the 3DS tbh

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that does make sense but you gotta wonder why byleth, there were a umber of characters who could have filled a similar role if its promotional purposes, so you can see why people may be lead to think bias

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Here's my predictions (in a random order):

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. A Capcom Character
3. A Namco Character
4. A Nintendo Character
5. A character from a PC game then recently got ported to the Switch.
6. Pokémon?

Wishlist (also random order):

1. Phoenix Wright
2. Monokuma
3. Heavy Weapons Guy
4. Waluigi

Emelie

Smash Cadet
To be honest it's hard to be excited when so many characters have already been disconfirmed though the assist trophies and spirits. I wish they could make some of the assist trophies or spirits DLC characters just to prove that those options are still viable.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be honest it's hard to be excited when so many characters have already been disconfirmed though the assist trophies and spirits. I wish they could make some of the assist trophies or spirits DLC characters just to prove that those options are still viable.
I have a feeling they will - at least for the latter. ATs are probably still SOL sadly

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
My predictions:

Geno (or some other sort of Mario Rep)

Assassins from Assassin Creed (Alts like Hero)

Master Chief

Ursifu (or Another G8 Pokemon Rep)

Heihachi

Either Travis or Hyabusa

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Not sure on that second one, the assassins play pretty differently, and Altair is already a Mii Costume. If anything, it would just be Ezio

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I consider shill picks to be characters who are not highly requested by the fanbase who are picked simply for the purposes of promotion or advertising.

Chase

Smash Ace
Mine is def a tad unorthodox, but here goes:
  • Dr. Eggman Gets Cracking!
  • Rayman Becomes a Legend!
  • Rillaboom Feels the Beat!
  • Shantae is Ret-2-Go!
  • Bandana Dee Gets to the Point!/Dixie Kong Gives It a Whirl!/Waluigi Waappears! (Could see any of these three but this is in order of likeliness)
  • Geno Stars in Smash!

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
This is my whislist/expectation, in order of reveal:

1) Sora (RPG)
2) Crash Bandicoot (plattaform)
3) Dante (hack and slash)
4) Doomslayer (shooter)
5) Heihachi (fighter)
6) Ryu Hayabusa (2D action/adventure)

The reception of third party characters has been very good so far, so I think that they will just repeat genres.

Just like Hero, Cloud or Joker, put an RPG character like Sora.

Just like Sonic or Banjo-Kazooie, put a plattaform character like Crash.

Just like Banyonetta, put a hack and slash character like Dante.

Just like Ryu or Terry, pull a fighting game character like Heihachi.

Just like Pac-man or Simon, put a retro NES pick from an action-adventure game like Ryu Hayabusa.

The only new genre is shooters, with Doomslayer as their representation (I know he has low chances, so it can also be replaced with Master Chief). Smash is really popular in the west, so I think that they should add a fighter more western-oriented and shooters is a genre really popular here.

Aside from all if this, every character in my list, except Ryu, has released a new game this generation. So, they are all prominent characters.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
My predictions in no particular order are:

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Dante
3. Lloyd Irving
4. Ryu Hayabusa
5. 1 first party character? (Rex being added to promote Xenoblade or Sylux for Metroid Prime 4 perhaps)
6. 1 indie character? I know there will be yet another bombshell (Reimu or Hollow Knight would be cool, otherwise we could get another third party in the form of Travis Touchdown)

My wishlist for this fighter pass is:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Lloyd Irving
3. Sora
4. Dante
5. Travis Touchdown
6. Hollow Knight

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
this is my pass and i'm well aware many of these choices wont happen but I wanted to list my reasons why anyway

Lara Croft because she's probably my favourite Western character ever. She would open the pass for me because she's so cool and I want hope for female representation in this pass. I won't insult anyone of course if we dont get females but it would be nice.

KOS-MOS is self explanatory because everyone probably knows she is my most wanted and how much support I have for her. The only reason she's not first is because I see someone extremely popular opening the pass after Byleth underwhelmed so many people. I don't really think popularity is a factor but Sakurai is mysterious. Open up the pass with Lara and then give us the fun to play ones. I'm not saying Lara wouldn't be fun to play of course! If KOS-MOS gets in then I consider it a win.

My other choices are Fiora for Xenoblade DE. She's the closest thing to KOS-MOS for me given that she's pretty much the KOS-MOS of Xenoblade. Final cross is so similar to X buster and they both have the same motif going on with Blue eyed KOS-MOS and Red eyed Fiora.

Jill Valentine is pretty self explanatory as well. She's my favourite RE character next to Claire and while she is a spirit i'm hoping she still gets added. Imagine if she used a variety of weapons in her moveset but has the speed of Snake/ZSS. Oh... and I want her to play like RE1-3 Jill and not 5.

After that it is Terra Branford. I think this game can use much more mages! Terra was mentioned by Sakurai in a interview where he said Cloud felt like the only choice. But I think she would be super cool. Imagine if we got Terra and her gimmick is trance! Would be fun!

My final pick is Zelda BOTW 2 because there's rumours she will be playable. While we already have Zelda in the game.... I just think BOTW Zelda could possibly play different. She's a really interesting character to me. We just badly need another Zelda rep and I feel like Zelda BOTW 2 if playable would be the most likely.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
So, I have a leak from Sakurai's best buddy in Japan. He knows all 6 of the next fighter pass characters. They are the following:

1. Pink Gold Peach - Mario Kart
2. Prince Alfonso - Fire Emblem Heroes
3. Raichu - Pokemon
4. Dark Link - Legend of Zelda
5. Classic Sonic - Sonic Generations
6. Raimu - Hibike

Sakurai knows the fans will be pleased with this roster. Also, you will have Geno, Mallow, Cacodemon, Doomguy, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Masterchief, and Shantae mii costumes.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If there is one realistic prediction I’m willing to bet on it’s a new Pokemon. The spirit board for Pokemon was likely planned around June as all the spirits from it were ones that were announced from the February direct and the June one. They most likely had no real idea of a second pass in June. As for why they would have released the spirits it’s probably because they didn’t want to mess with their schedule so they released the gen 8 spirits anyway. And it’s not like Gen 8 has a lack of Pokemon to choose from to have more spirits. My main point here is that the spirit board doesn’t really indicate there were no plans for a new Pokemon for vol 2 and that there isn’t a lack of spirits to put on a spirit board. To me Pokemon doesn’t have much going against it. Other characters I could predict are Geno, Travis and Sora.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
One of my prediction is that there's a decent chance Waluigi might be in this pass.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
If there is one realistic prediction I’m willing to bet on it’s a new Pokemon. The spirit board for Pokemon was likely planned around June as all the spirits from it were ones that were announced from the February direct and the June one. They most likely had no real idea of a second pass in June. As for why they would have released the spirits it’s probably because they didn’t want to mess with their schedule so they released the gen 8 spirits anyway. And it’s not like Gen 8 has a lack of Pokemon to choose from to have more spirits. My main point here is that the spirit board doesn’t really indicate there were no plans for a new Pokemon for vol 2 and that there isn’t a lack of spirits to put on a spirit board. To me Pokemon doesn’t have much going against it. Other characters I could predict are Geno, Travis and Sora.
i mean if the spirit event doesn't show certain characters, then would railiboom be a lock since his first evolution is a spirit and not the final?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
i mean if the spirit event doesn't show certain characters, then would railiboom be a lock since his first evolution is a spirit and not the final?
I don't think that the Gen 8 Pokemon rep has to be Rillaboom.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Predictions:
76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Dante
78: Heihachi
79: Ring Fit Adventurer
80: Sora
81: Ryu Hayabusa

Wishlist:
76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Master Chief (Now that Doom Slayer is deconfirmed)
78: Nightmare
79: Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright
80: 2B
81: Elma

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don’t see why his prevo being a spirit hurts his chances considering A) it’s not Rillaboom himself and B) it’s in a trio with the two other starters. I don’t necessarily think Rillaboom will be the gen 8 rep as they also have Urshifu which the May consider if they want to have truly new content in the game but I think Rillaboom is the most likely. He easily has the most potential out of the starters

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
My guesses in no particular order

1. A Bandai Namco character like Lloyd Irving for example
2. Another Square Enix character like Sora
3. Since we got the River City Ransom spirits, I believe that we'll likely get an Arc System rep like Sol Badguy for the DLC
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. A Gen 8 Pokemon like Cinderace, because if Nintendo is still choosing the DLC characters I'd imagine that they would give special treatment to the Pokemon franchise and would likely want to save a character to promote the DLC Expansion Pass, based on how popular the Scorbunny line is and how it has been getting special treatment in both the games and anime I'd say that Cinderace has the best shot.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He easily has the most potential out of the starters
It's not potential Rillaboom supporters focus on though, it's an arbitrary feeling of balance that ignores how long it's been since we've gotten a Pokemon newcomer that's more like Pikachu or Lucario.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's not potential Rillaboom supporters focus on though, it's an arbitrary feeling of balance that ignores how long it's been since we've gotten a Pokemon newcomer that's more like Pikachu or Lucario.
But I don’t think Sakurai would really pick Rillaboom to fill some arbitrary quota. I phrased the message you quoted the way I did because I didn’t want people to think I thought he was likely due to the grass type thing.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
But I don’t think Sakurai would really pick Rillaboom to fill some arbitrary quota. I phrased the message you quoted the way I did because I didn’t want people to think I thought he was likely due to the grass type thing.
Rillaboom definitely has the best unique moveset potential out of the starters.
Inteleon could be somewhat unique but likely annoying. Yes, Inteleon and Greninja would definitely play differently.
Cinderace would be too much like the other fighters in the game and would likely rely on their 'pyro ball' as a gimmick to set them apart in spite of WFT's soccer ball move.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Rillaboom definitely has the best unique moveset potential out of the starters.
Inteleon could be somewhat unique but likely annoying. Yes, Inteleon and Greninja would definitely play differently.
Cinderace would be too much like the other fighters in the game and would likely rely on their 'pyro ball' as a gimmick to set them apart in spite of WFT's soccer ball move.
Inteleon after seeing a video now reminds me of Gex honestly, even the appearance bears a striking similarity.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I've definitely posted this a couple of times in some threads, but here's my selection:

I based my choices off of which could bring something new to the table, been pretty satisfied with what I've made here.​

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
The two I'm sure of are: Ragnar the Bloodedge and Ryu Hayabusa. If I had to guess the rest I'd say: 2B, Rex, A nintendo character we don't currently know about (game released this year character added last), and Lloyd Irving.

Top Bottom