• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Tier List

IYM!

Smash Lord
I am very late saying this, this tier list is correct, at least Link isnt the worst

If Link is bottom is all fault by his reovery, with a better one, he could be at least at top on the low tiers :S, he isnt bad on stage. that is the only thing than realy bother me of Smash 64 :mad:

any way, at 200% everything can kill, even the stand up attack :bee:

i like play in brinstar at 200%, just saying :p

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Link is still too goddamn slow, his jump takes about double the number of frames to start as Pika's or even Samus's iirc (might be pulling stats out of nowhere).

blaze3927

Smash Ace
kirby is pretty limited by his recovery right? imagine a kirby that will edgeguard 100x more aggressively because it knows it has an almost %100 chance of getting safely back if it misses/fails

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
fox > pika > kirby > falcon > link > so on

That's if by recovery you meant up-b only. If kirby only has (pika's) two jumps, falcon > kirby.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Pika's recovery would improve link a lot more than it would mario, who already has great recovery in terms of distance and priority. That said, looking at their starting points, link needs a much greater improvement than mario, so I'm not sure if I disagree with you

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Hmm maybe, lack of a spike would definitely be detrimental, as all other chars can now go wayyy out, spike, recover. Still, I think he's up there.

Is this possible to implement with gamesharks? Would be fun and hilarious.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Pikachu too high on your lists IMO.

If everyone has Pika's recovery Pika drops to like 4th or 5th best IMO.
Well, I'll maybe agree with you about pika not being in 2nd since complete move set should be taken under consideration, but a 5th place would be too far IMO.

Having in mind that even taking away his recovery, Pikachu is not a bad character after all.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
i think fox is overrated and so are his lasers and his shine, i dont really know about melee fox tho

blaze3927

Smash Ace
i think fox is not underated, and his shine and lasers make for the best b moves and possibly moves in the game.
thats my thoughts.
/what happened in my brain

@sangoku what about that video where samus teleported, i thought that was a quick attack with extended range. maybe not

Sangoku

Smash Master
Blaze, you have any link?

I might be wrong, but I thought he said that because of special animations that couldn't be swapped or something.

And to surri, DK's upb is good as an attack, but not really as a recovery move. So overall I don't think it would deserve such high ranking.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@Sangoku I think Surri-Sama said that, not because of recovery, but moves in general.
Which is something I'm agree with.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah but as a move in general you have to take all the uses into consideration. Say would you give fox DK's upb for example?

Nevertheless, I do agree that it's a great move both for cheap gimps and defense against pressure.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
lol my hate for DKs upB comes from Boom.

He makes it beast.

but your right its not so super great as it is annoying when in the right hands. If I play any char with a poor recovery Vs booms DKs Upb.... its a sad tale....

BestSamusEver

Smash Rookie
Oh I know, which is why I want to elaborate now.

First, I question the validity of any Super Smash Bros tournament or game-playing that actually bans certain Smash levels from play. I understand that certain characters on certain levels may have some inherent disadvantages, but in my rather extensive experience, the disadvantages are negligible.

From what I can see, Planet Zebes, Mushroom Kingdom, Pikatown(real name???), Sector Z and Yoshi's Island are either banned outright or not played based on character choices.

That's five banned levels out of nine. More banned levels than played... In my opinion the purpose of a tournament would be to find the best Smash player, and the best Smash player should necessarily be at least competitive on all levels. Especially in Smash 64 where the levels and characters are pretty balanced. Sure, taking away Planet Zebes or Sector Z or Yoshi's Island would lower Samus' stock, and raise Pika's, but then again, disallowing Pika from using his DownB would do the same to Pika. We don't do that because the move is in the game and therefore should be featured. The maps are in the game and so should be featured. It seems to me that if you feel Ness has a disadvantage on Pikatown(real name?) than maybe you shouldn't pick Ness. Or maybe just deal with it, I do, and I rarely take 4th on Pikatown (my favorite level besides Hyrule)

That being said, even taking the levels into account, I still don't think any character could be said to outweigh another character (except maybe Jiggly). Now, if one said that this tier was based entirely on 1 v 1 matchups (I couldn't figure out if it is or not) I would again, question the validity of that. Smash Brothers, in the end, is a 4 player brawl. 1 v 1 is for when you've eliminated the other two players. Any advantage one has in a 1v1 match may be entirely erased in a brawl. Pikachu vs Samus on Dreamland can sometimes be a little ridiculous for Samus. Put two other characters in the mix and suddenly a lot of that advantage goes away.

Now, addressing the actual characters. Pikachu has certain advantages, his(her?) arial attacks are sometimes ridiculous, his upB makes it very hard to rule the edge sometimes, etc.

But Samus has other advantages. Her slow fall and downB (a most unappreciated move) make her, in my humble opinion, the undisputed Queen of the Arial Attack. Also, on larger levels, ironically banned from tournament play, she can be very difficult to kill, especially on Sector Z or Yoshi's Island. Dreamland isn't her best stage as the platforms can take away some of her best arial combos, but it's all about changing your style of play based on the level. Her grab and quick slam (quickest slam in the game I think) rise in stock, and strangely enough, her downB can do some serious damage. Also, on Dreamland I feel her regular B attack rises in importance, normally used as a distraction or a setup in my style of play, it becomes more of a legit weapon on Dreamland due to size.

On Jiggly, that's kind of a point of contention in my little group of Smashers. Her(his?) Bmoves are underpowered, especially in a brawl, and while very lightweight and easy to knock off the platform, she doesn't have much beating power.

Contrast that with Link. His Bmoves can make a VERY strong argument to being the best in the game. Both the Boomerang and the Bombs are excellent for setting up combos and are decently hard to block, his A moves are all powered and easy to hit, and his upB is perfect for being surrounded. He is easy to knock off and once off may be done, but I think his strength and balance more than make up for that. Link is the most balanced character in the game, with the possible exception of Mario. But Jiggly is higher than Link on this list. I can't even begin to see why.

Maybe I am missing something, but I've put in over 10,000 hours of smashing with some very skilled, very equal opponents. The smallest advantages and disadvantages usually show up with glaring repercussions. I've yet to notice any character that dominates more than any other, unless of course we're talking about Link, who seems to dominate on my 64 about ten times as much as any other character.

Also, any stats based on anything but game-time on a 64 console is inherently flawed. I don't know if emulators are taken into account, but they certainly shouldn't be.

BestSamusEver

Smash Rookie
My Tier based on my skills:

Awesome:
Samus
Link

Maybe even better, but not preferred:
Mario

Beastmode:
Kirby
Ness
DK
Cap Falcon

Alright:
Fox
Pikachu
Yoshi
Luigi

Terrible:
Jigglypuff

BestSamusEver

Smash Rookie
Well that was a waste of time writing all that.
Well of course it was. Everyone in this thread has their own opinion and they will look at everything through that biased lens.

The problem lies in thinking that's necessarily a bad or good thing.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Most if us have the same opinion on that list, and that is that the list is ok the way the game is atm.

That's why some here say in a hypothetical way, that if the game were different in some aspects, it'd affect this list then.

Top Bottom