• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ I read up on the Texas Method, but decided to pass on it for another 5x5 method. Gonna have to look up what it's called.

And you can always just jump into CrossFit if you're Charles Barkley

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i had to outrun a dog today during my run, it was awesome. we locked eyes and then he let me pass him by about 10 feet and then he took off after me barking lol....stupid pet owners with no electric fence

that was the fastest ive ever ran at least since HS track and probably faster than those days too...i had already ran 30 minutes so i was a little fatigued as well

fight or flight is powerful

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Ugh, thought I was gonna lose it in the gym. Finished up my cycle (leg day) and decided to cool down with light weight shrugs since I forgot to do them on my shoulder day. So I'm standing there, catchin mah breath, listening to my music. In front of me is some skinny *** b**** and I could've swore I heard him say "The **** are you lookin' at?" I wasn't sure as my music was up and there were a good amount of other people in the small gym. The adrenaline started pumpin and I really really wanted to say "The **** you say b****?" But I'd look dumb if I was hearing things... Lesson - keep your cool and don't let the testosterone get the best of you. Still riled up and wish I knew if he did say anything, but it doesn't matter now. I'm the bigger man. I'll walk away.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love that when I'm travelling and staying in hotels there's a gym literally just below me, but I hate not having all the equipment and weights my gym at home has....going to have to get a little more versatile...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I got a coupon to get some slow cooked steel-cut oatmeal at Jamba Juice for 2 bucks. Anyone recommend which flavor I should get?

Plain oatmeal with brown sugar.
fresh banana oatmeal
blueberry and blackberry oatmeal
berry cherry pecan
or apple cinnamon oatmeal

Thinking between fresh banana, berry cherry pecan, or apple cinnamon.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Is running 1 mile good for a beginning runner? I've recently started running a lap at one of the local parks and so far, I've been doing it 3 times a week: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Yes, that's fine. Work up mileage bit by bit -- maybe +1/4 mile every week. So next week start doing 1.25 mile runs 3 times a week. Doing too much too fast is the quickest way for beginner runners to injure themselves... you need to give your body time to rest and adjust.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yes, that's fine. Work up mileage bit by bit -- maybe +1/4 mile every week. So next week start doing 1.25 mile runs 3 times a week. Doing too much too fast is the quickest way for beginner runners to injure themselves... you need to give your body time to rest and adjust.
OK, that's good to hear. When I went running last Saturday, by the end of the mile, my side started hurting but this Tuesday, that side pain didn't come up. I've only ran about 4 times total so I'm still pretty new to this.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Last night I ran barefoot around my campus - a distance of 1.77 miles.

I wanted to try it out since I recently finished the book Born to Run, and there were a couple of chapters that explained how humans had evolved to run barefoot, and that shoes with all these paddings and cushions actually increase our risk of injury.

IT HURT.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
How does one obtain a firmer and rotund buttocks?

Please help.

Also what chest exercises can be done with just weights?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Last night I ran barefoot around my campus - a distance of 1.77 miles.

I wanted to try it out since I recently finished the book Born to Run, and there were a couple of chapters that explained how humans had evolved to run barefoot, and that shoes with all these paddings and cushions actually increase our risk of injury.

IT HURT.
Do you heelstrike when you normally run? If you haven't trained yourself to run with a midfoot strike you will probably be more likely to injure yourself running barefoot. Plus there's lots of dangerous/gross stuff you can step on around a campus. If you want to get into minimalist running there's some better options than actually running barefoot. The Vibram Fivefingers are pretty popular but also expensive and you look like a dork. If you want to go straight to minimal shoes you could check out the Saucony Hattori or the Nike Free. I'd personally recommend a transitional shoe like the Saucony Kinvara -- extremely light compared to crap like the Vans I used to wear, but not quite minimal. If you have a running store near you they'll be happy to let you try them all on and offer you a shoe that matches your running style.

How does one obtain a firmer and rotund buttocks?

Please help.

Also what chest exercises can be done with just weights?

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I think when I come down I strike with the side of my heel, not directly down. I have these flats my brother gave me so i think ill be sticking with those.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I got a question about dead lifts.

So ever since I started working out again after fasting, I've noticed that my form has changed. My knees go out wide when I bring the barbell down to the ground, and then retreat back to being straight when I bring it back up. The reason I'm doing that is cause the barbell sometimes hits against my knees.

Is this fine, or should I focus on the technique of making my knees straight all the way?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Knees need to be straight or you're at risk of injury.

Try going further back on your heels, on straightening or knees earlier on the way up.

:phone:

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I got a question about dead lifts.

So ever since I started working out again after fasting, I've noticed that my form has changed. My knees go out wide when I bring the barbell down to the ground, and then retreat back to being straight when I bring it back up. The reason I'm doing that is cause the barbell sometimes hits against my knees.

Is this fine, or should I focus on the technique of making my knees straight all the way?
The barbell shouldn't really press against your legs at all as you lift. Your legs from the knee down should remain completely vertical through the whole lift. I'd seriosuly consider at least temporarily dropping the weight down and working on form for a little while. Knees that bow out blow out after a while. lol =\

Like Shmot said probably need to lean back more.

I'm back btw. For the hell of it trying the body builder hydroxicut along with whey and creatine that I usually use. Got a better schedule (as in I get up before 11 now lol) and now do at least something everyday.

The hydroxicut I know will not do anything on it's own but as something to supplement my own diet and increase in cardiovascular training it has helped a little. If anything it makes me feel less hungry at least.

I was taking casein for a while but as I'm trying to lose weight I figure my body can go without food while I'm asleep. lol

It's hard lately to do chest without a spotter aside from push ups I'm a little at a loss as to what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ96Y_nAF_0&feature=channel_video_title

Tho guy though is an inspiration to me that even when you're stuck at home you have the tools you need to get the job done.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I know I shouldn't have but I ran 2 laps today at my local running park. Only a week ago, I could only run 1 lap. It felt great going past my usual limit.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
When you guys do deadlifts, you don't bend your knees at all? I always learned through coaching and observation that deadlifting requires some, though minimal, bending of the legs... Or did I just misread?

Also, this guy in my class is pretty intense with his fitness. He has this band thing on his arm that keeps track of his caloric expenditure, steps throughout the day, his sleep cycle and how much he wakes during the night, and all this other fancy stuff. He's one of those people that does the 6 meals a day thing with only protein shakes; at least that's what I observe in class. Really makes me o_O at people that can even kick it up that many more notches. Respect.

Attila_

BRoomer
more bend, means more legs less back.

it's a technique thing.

and most people will get more benefit from using their legs a bit more.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I think when I come down I strike with the side of my heel, not directly down. I have these flats my brother gave me so i think ill be sticking with those.
be careful frankkkkkk. gotta learn to midfoot or toe strike or you'll die trying to go minimalist. it's worth it tho

Attila_

BRoomer
We also weren't designed to run on concrete.

Not the best idea these days.

Stick to your flats.

Also, heel running Is pretty standard for distance, but you should be up on your toes for faster stuff.

No one lands with their midfoot btw (<1%)

:phone:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
more bend, means more legs less back.

it's a technique thing.

and most people will get more benefit from using their legs a bit more.
Interesting and very logical. Well, I think I need to reevaluate my deadlift weight. I'm definitely bending my legs at this point, but the question is if I'm bending them too much. No one said a thing to me >.> Gotta wait 5 days till my next cycle though. Did legs today haha.

Also shmot, please describe to me in your own words what is good form for squats. I feel like I'm doing them alright, but I've seen other people do them a bit different.

The way I've done it is by the saying "*** to grass" meaning I pretty much go into an "asian squat." Y'know, like you gotta take a dump or something? As for holding the bar, I put it on my traps and spread my arms out to hold the bar - like I'm doing a bench press, but holding it a bit more widespread and lighter grip for support. I've seen people hold it really close together with a weird wrist angle or something.

Figured I'd use your opinion since I know you know what you are talking about.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Excellent excellent links! I heart you so much more for that. I hearted you before even if you didn't know it ~_^

But based on those vids, both my forms are correct then. For deadlifts, I do start in that position and for squats, I do go into that low position. I feel so much more reassured :D You have no idea how many people are doing squats wrong at my college. However, it doesn't answer my question as to how to hold the actual bar when squatting.

I see people holding it on their chest with their wrist bent back - kinda like raise the roof thing, ya? I hold it on my traps with my hand like I'm doing seated military presses. Any thoughts?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Mark Rippetoe is a total beast. Definitely my go to guy when I need help on form and other things.

And I now heart you too.

But as far as your concerns about using your hands to hold the bar...I honestly have never paid much attention to it, because I've never had any sort of pain or troubles. The best suggestion I could give you is to watch a few more Rippetoe videos of people squatting and take a look at how they are holding it.

Does this one help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbBsn7IbPU

Attila_

BRoomer
Also shmot, please describe to me in your own words what is good form for squats. I feel like I'm doing them alright, but I've seen other people do them a bit different.

The way I've done it is by the saying "*** to grass" meaning I pretty much go into an "asian squat." Y'know, like you gotta take a dump or something? As for holding the bar, I put it on my traps and spread my arms out to hold the bar - like I'm doing a bench press, but holding it a bit more widespread and lighter grip for support. I've seen people hold it really close together with a weird wrist angle or something.

Figured I'd use your opinion since I know you know what you are talking about.
<3

instructions i give to people learning how to squat for the first time:

1. feet slightly outside shoulder width
2. toes slightly pointed outwards (10-15 degrees)
3. try and bring your shoulders as close to your *** as possible (chest and *** out, lower back inward)
4. push your *** out as you bend your knees, like you're trying to sit on something that is too far behind you
5. weight stays on your heels
6. continue down until you're pelvis is just about to tilt (i'll talk about this later)
7. return to initial stance

depth is a matter of opinion. i am yet to be convinced that squatting after the pelvis has tilted can be done safely, so I teach people to stop just before this. Compare:

notice how in image 1, his ***/lower back are still upright, but in image 2, his *** has 'tucked under' his lower back, and is no longer aligned. imo this is too low, as this causes excess pressure on the l5-s1 disc, and surrounding vessels (i found evidence on this ages ago, could probably find it when i've got time). so i never recommend going that low with a load (don't mind deep squatting without a load, though).

not to mention that you don't really need strength from an *** to grass position, as you're never functionally in that position.

should also mention that this means i recommend everyone to squat to a slightly different position to others, depending on the natural flexibility of their lower back and pelvis (most people hang around parallel, though).

i'm such a physio lol.

as far as hand position is concerned, i don't think it matters an overly large amount. i go slightly outside shoulder width, but that's because i feel comfortable there more than anything else. never really looked into it.

one trick that i find extremely helpful in teaching people correct squatting technique (without a load) is to squat in front of a wall, with toes about 5 cms away from the wall. you'll find that if you don't slide your *** back, or don't put your weight on your toes, you'll fall over. really good way of getting things right from the get go.

or if you've got a workout partner, get them to put their fingers under the ball of your foot when you're squatting. you either have to slide your *** back and push through your heels, or crush their fingers; it is a really good way to get people to squat well.

also, the bar on the chest is a 'front squat', which is a more difficult (and arguably better) squat variation. we'll stick to back squats for now.

hope that helps.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Mark Rippetoe is a total beast. Definitely my go to guy when I need help on form and other things.

And I now heart you too.

But as far as your concerns about using your hands to hold the bar...I honestly have never paid much attention to it, because I've never had any sort of pain or troubles. The best suggestion I could give you is to watch a few more Rippetoe videos of people squatting and take a look at how they are holding it.

Does this one help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbBsn7IbPU
<3

instructions i give to people learning how to squat for the first time:

1. feet slightly outside shoulder width
2. toes slightly pointed outwards (10-15 degrees)
3. try and bring your shoulders as close to your *** as possible (chest and *** out, lower back inward)
4. push your *** out as you bend your knees, like you're trying to sit on something that is too far behind you
5. weight stays on your heels
6. continue down until you're pelvis is just about to tilt (i'll talk about this later)
7. return to initial stance

depth is a matter of opinion. i am yet to be convinced that squatting after the pelvis has tilted can be done safely, so I teach people to stop just before this. Compare:

notice how in image 1, his ***/lower back are still upright, but in image 2, his *** has 'tucked under' his lower back, and is no longer aligned. imo this is too low, as this causes excess pressure on the l5-s1 disc, and surrounding vessels (i found evidence on this ages ago, could probably find it when i've got time). so i never recommend going that low with a load (don't mind deep squatting without a load, though).

not to mention that you don't really need strength from an *** to grass position, as you're never functionally in that position.

should also mention that this means i recommend everyone to squat to a slightly different position to others, depending on the natural flexibility of their lower back and pelvis (most people hang around parallel, though).

i'm such a physio lol.

as far as hand position is concerned, i don't think it matters an overly large amount. i go slightly outside shoulder width, but that's because i feel comfortable there more than anything else. never really looked into it.

one trick that i find extremely helpful in teaching people correct squatting technique (without a load) is to squat in front of a wall, with toes about 5 cms away from the wall. you'll find that if you don't slide your *** back, or don't put your weight on your toes, you'll fall over. really good way of getting things right from the get go.

or if you've got a workout partner, get them to put their fingers under the ball of your foot when you're squatting. you either have to slide your *** back and push through your heels, or crush their fingers; it is a really good way to get people to squat well.

also, the bar on the chest is a 'front squat', which is a more difficult (and arguably better) squat variation. we'll stick to back squats for now.

hope that helps.
Ah ok. I'm all cleared up on the matter now. Thanks!

Front squat huh? I'm interested in that. Perhaps I'll look into it later.

Top Bottom