• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I was going to say that I saw it in a paper and decided to copy their usage, but the paper in question actually says "metasomatic replacement." Metasomatic alteration is redundant, yes, but it sounds so much cooler on paper than metasomatism. Metasomatism is a type of alteration. It just feels more like a verb.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Yes it does. The part where you actually do stuff is much more fun than having to write about it though, even if a third of the words you use can't be understood by the rest of the population.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
How long will the Melee singles in the Eugene run for?
Also, Eggz, if you and your friends want to smash friday in Corvallis I can put some of you up in my dorm room. I have an extra bed and and lots of floor space if you guys like. It probably isn't the best option, but it is an option.

ChinesePanda777

Smash Apprentice
Everyone should try to come to Corvallis for Friday Smash in anticipation for BCG. Especially since I don't know if I can make it Saturday :(

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Also I thought 'metasomatic alteration' was redundant because you could just say 'metasomatism.' But a google search for 'metasomatic alteration' yields plenty of results, so either it's legit or people just like to sound smart. Because come on, metasomatic alteration sounds pretty hardcore.

:phone:
my geology professor said:
They are pretty close in meaning. Metasomatism refers to the general process, and meta alteration refers to rock alteration where there are particular gains and losses (METASOMATISM) as opposed to those alteration types like propylitic where there is little but volatiles gained or lost.
So basically what I get out of that is that metasomatism is the general term and metasomatic alteration is the specific term. Another interpretation is that it's all a bunch of bullshit and you can do whatever you want.

Where are people playing?

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Another interpretation is that it's all a bunch of bullshit and you can do whatever you want.
Good, cause I'm too lazy to look up more big words to figure out what what he said. I don't actually know anything about geology, I just wanted to see how long it would take me and Google to understand that "run-on" sentence, heh.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I was pleasantly surprized when you understood what metasomatism meant. You totally should learn about geology though. Alaska is really interesting geologically. There's all sorts of stuff going on.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
I was actually thinking about re-educating myself a little. I had an awesome geology teacher in high school who took our class on a huge field trip around wrangell st. elias and explained the stories behind all these crazy formations...I didn't pay too much attention though, and forgot just about everything. :(

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
don't listen to gage. the answer is simple: PIZZA. order a few pizzas and promise pizza for everyone. sure, anyone could order their own pizza, but come on, guys. pizza and SMASH? with everyone who plays in portland? COME ON! 5 bux will get you smash, and dinner. right yugo?

i think it's a good plan.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
i mean, best bout makes at least 25$ for every weekly (assuming there's never been less than 5 at a weekly, which i haven't seen) yet there's a fairly large smash crowd around portland. so promise pizza dinner (which is ****ing CHEAP in the form of pizza. seriously, you guys don't know what it's like to live in a town with no fast food) for free, and just take it out of the money that people pay to get in. as long as it's more than like, 7 (which it would be, since now $5 gets you food AND smash), it's worth it for both best bout and the people who come, who get to eat AND play more people than usual at a weekly best bout. and the more people that come, the more food can be provided. because fast food is cheaper than you guys realize.

BOOM.
^ drunk idea

deny it all you want, and i know it won't be used, but it would work if it was. if you don't believe me, money match me. and to do that, you'd have to implement this idea and show that it didn't work. but it would. because who wouldn't take up pizza and smash for 5$?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
P.R.I. has spoiled me with their pizza. I've been telling them to open another P.R.I. in Portland, though. I'm not too sure about where a good location for them would be. since I'm not from Portland, but I was thinking maybe the Alberta district?

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Less than four? Ouch. People better start showing up if they don't want best bout to end. I think it's mostly because people don't want to pay 5 bucks every week. I stand by my drunk idea. If it works, it's a profitable investment of best bout's money from smashers. And people won't feel like they're wasting 5 bux just to play smash when they can play it for free at jesse's and stuff.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
In my opinion the existence of best bout is integral to the portland smash scene. The existence of a location where we all know we can go once a week has given the community structure where once there was none. Why do you think corvallis has a smash scene that has not seen any decine in the last three years? The problem with smashers is that on the whole we're unstructured and dare I say immature. Without best bout portland will slip back into a place where tournaments happhen two or three times a year and smashfests are held on the whim of individuals. Actually, since tournament attendance hasn't been super terrible, we probably will continue to have best bouts, but no weeklies.

I lost my drive to type any more. I like my weekly practice. I also like not having to drive an hour into south portland. Come to best bout people!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I am probably going to the tourney in Eugene on Sunday. I better get some friendlies in or I'll be pissed :urg:

What is the organization with crews? If anybody wants me I'd be down to be on a crew. I'm on the coast (Smash nowhere) so it doesn't much matter which one. Fair warning: I haven't played Melee with anybody in about...3 years. I've kept up my tech skill but I might be terrible in actual 1v1s <_< or I might have magically improved >_>

Would possibly be down for teams as well if anyone wants to risk teaming with me.

</End johns>

BTW I am wondering the earliest I should get there for friendlies. I guess if no one responds to this I will just show up around 2:00, but I could be there earlier.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I am probably going to the tourney in Eugene on Sunday.
I just want to clear up that the tourney is on Saturday (tomorrow), not Sunday. Here's the tourney page with all the info in case you need it:
Big City Gamin' 3

BTW I am wondering the earliest I should get there for friendlies.
The owner of the venue asked us to start at 2pm, so that's when everything starts (including friendlies). I'm pretty sure you can find some place that will be doing warm-ups before that. If all else fails, maybe come by my place to hang out (there's bound to be someone interested in Melee warm-ups).

In fact, everyone is welcome to come by my place before the venue opens - if anything I'll likely need help transporting TV/people.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I just want to clear up that the tourney is on Saturday (tomorrow), not Sunday. Here's the tourney page with all the info in case you need it:
Big City Gamin' 3

The owner of the venue asked us to start at 2pm, so that's when everything starts (including friendlies). I'm pretty sure you can find some place that will be doing warm-ups before that. If all else fails, maybe come by my place to hang out (there's bound to be someone interested in Melee warm-ups).

In fact, everyone is welcome to come by my place before the venue opens - if anything I'll likely need help transporting TV/people.
Whaaaaat...why did I think it was Sunday? I'm a dummy. I will still try to be there but I won't be able to go to sleep tonight until 4ish, and it's a 2.5 hour drive, so I guess I'll just be sleepy. Wait, Melee singles start at 4:00 but it says last call for registration is 2:00? So if I arrive at 2:10 or something I can't register?

debaser

Smash Lord
PFFT. alberta street is LAME. it's where thirty something yuppies from san francisco go to die

the only place in portland that even comes close to rivalling the whit is a mythical place that only exists in the minds of travel journalists from new york and thirty something yuppies from san francisco.

that being said let us never speak of this again.

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
So is anyone in eugene playing melee early this morning cause I really wanna get that practice in before the tournament.

people at adams place (they call it the batcave) are pretty much always down to smash in eugene, unless they are busy. we have a facebook group too if you needed to send a headsup too
we also host friendly tournaments on sundays. I think we are doing low tiers this week

JonnyW

Smash Ace
PFFT. alberta street is LAME. it's where thirty something yuppies from san francisco go to die

the only place in portland that even comes close to rivalling the whit is a mythical place that only exists in the minds of travel journalists from new york and thirty something yuppies from san francisco.

that being said let us never speak of this again.
Dude I pretty much live on Alberta :( i like it.

FoosJr won Eugene tournament? Sounds free as **** =) haha

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
With Juce and Bart not entering singles and Eggz being drunk, there was less competition than expected. I need to work on my Sheik matchup, I'm picking up a secondary.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
So, who went vs. who in the crew battle? I only saw the last match with Bird vs Oliver.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
had a good time this weekend playing with corvallis and eugene. good **** corvallis on winning the crew battle now we should do a NoPo vs corvallis crew battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom