• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeper

Smash Champion
You're actually pretty spot on, multi-tasking is not the sort of thing that is emphasized much in MOBA games, although there are traces of it like last hitting/creep management, pets, and some other nuances. I feel there's a lot of stat calculation that makes itself very visible at top play though, like I might be going out on a limb when I say this, but the difference in knowing the specific stat calculations of an upgraded unit in SC2 (although it comes out in units : cost and type advantage ratios) is not nearly as necessary as the data crunching for stats/abilities/item values in a MOBA, there are people who do play the game almost entirely by a systemic number crunching style haha.

My brother tried out the Tribes Beta/Alpha (I forget which is out now), it's pretty legit.

Also, UT is a very underrated shooter, it is very classic and smacks of an archetyped 90s/early 2000 shooter, but has the potential for good tournament play imo. Oh, and it also has the ability to hoverboard around (you can tether to vehicles and do tricks and pivots too, which is pretty neat, there's even a "Snow-real" mod where it's pure hoverboarding on the mountains lol)
There's number crunching, but it's much more convoluted and unit control is usually much more of a factor over stats. If you have to rely on stats, you're probably in a bad spot overall and could just do better by out-producing someone.

It's in Open-Beta. There was never a public alpha, but there was a closed beta back around December. Official release is on the 12th I think, it's basically going to just be a big patch.

I always wondered why UT dropped off the map.

Doesn't matter quake live is the best game of all time. Who's down to play some smash on friday?

:phone:
Quake is pretty sick.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I never got into Quake, but looking back I think that era was when FPS' were at their finest.

Binx

Smash Master
UT was crazy fun I dont know why it never caught on either, maybe it was just too fast for most people?

So fun to backflip off a wall into a headshot. Man I miss being bad and lucky haha.

cmin

Smash Ace
After playing both LoL and SC2 at an above average level of play, my IMO is:

LoL = Easy to learn, hard to master

SC2 = Hard to learn, hard to master

All that matters is mastering the game, and both are hard to master at high levels of play. Mastering LoL requires a team that also mastered it also like basketball. You need 4 other good players that are in tune with you, whereas SC2 is like tennis where you can rely on yourself and single handily beat the opponent by outplaying them. Yeah I came in this topic late but I think that's what Justin was trying to say, he just sucks at explaining things, or at things in general.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Guess what guys! I got up at six am yesterday and went to bed at five this morning! Yay for full day of work plus 12 hour travel! No caffiene!

Word of advice when travelling out of state for lengthy periods of time, bring ten bucks worth of quarters. Sales tax is stupid.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Guess what guys! I got up at six am yesterday and went to bed at five this morning! Yay for full day of work plus 12 hour travel! No caffiene!

Word of advice when travelling out of state for lengthy periods of time, bring ten bucks worth of quarters. Sales tax is stupid.
Or you could just kill the people trying to tax you.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Obviously I'm always down. But it'd be cool to smash with a few more people :)

-Ryan (not having an account kinda sucks)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hey does anyone play Melee on the coast around Lincoln City or Newport? I haven't played in a while and I've really been wanting to lately.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Travel to Corvallis on Friday is an option too! I don't know where those places are, but Eugene is near Corvallis. There is a nice scene here, always nice to see more people.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
My grandparents have a condo in Lincoln City. I might spend the summer there. Next time I'm there I'll hit you up.

Corvallis is closer to you than eugene. You're probably equadistant from corvallis and portland if you live in Lincoln City.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
My grandparents have a condo in Lincoln City. I might spend the summer there. Next time I'm there I'll hit you up.

Corvallis is closer to you than eugene. You're probably equadistant from corvallis and portland if you live in Lincoln City.
I am in Lincoln City, and Portland is ~2 hours, Corvallis ~1.5 hours, Salem ~1.25 hours, Eugene ~2.5 hours.

Does anyone play in Salem? That's the closest major city to here. I might be willing to drive to some of these places occasionally if there's a tournament or something lasting more than a few hours. Driving 3 - 4 hours for a couple hours of play is lame, and I've done it before when I lived in Mississippi (practically no smashers there).

I lived in Eugene for a couple years, but I had stopped playing Smash for a while. Wish I were still there, Lincoln City is lame. The weather is nice for 2 or 3 months, and the rest of the time it's just raining, constantly. We get about 2 - 3 times the rain Eugene or Portland get, and there are frequent storms with 60 mph wind. It's ridiculous. Plus there's just nothing here as it's a tiny little town. :(

Anyway, I'm moving from Oregon some time in the summer, probably late July or early August, but if you're in Lincoln City before then we could play.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I am in Lincoln City, and Portland is ~2 hours, Corvallis ~1.5 hours, Salem ~1.25 hours, Eugene ~2.5 hours.

Does anyone play in Salem? That's the closest major city to here. I might be willing to drive to some of these places occasionally if there's a tournament or something lasting more than a few hours. Driving 3 - 4 hours for a couple hours of play is lame, and I've done it before when I lived in Mississippi (practically no smashers there).

I lived in Eugene for a couple years, but I had stopped playing Smash for a while. Wish I were still there, Lincoln City is lame. The weather is nice for 2 or 3 months, and the rest of the time it's just raining, constantly. We get about 2 - 3 times the rain Eugene or Portland get, and there are frequent storms with 60 mph wind. It's ridiculous. Plus there's just nothing here as it's a tiny little town. :(

Anyway, I'm moving from Oregon some time in the summer, probably late July or early August, but if you're in Lincoln City before then we could play.
Living in beach towns is a double edge sword my friend :( If I road trip to the beach we should play :)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
There was a tournament in LC about two years ago. It was hosted by a street fighter player but predominantly smashers showed up.

I'm actually not doing anything right now apart from career searching, so maybe on a good weekend I'll drive down there and we can smash. I might even bring one or two people.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oregon City Deathmatch! That was an awesome tournament... and the weather was wonderful. I remember doing knuckle push-ups on the deck with Shane and... Jesse(?) there. And there was lots of food. Yum!

Another Oregon coast tourney would be lots of fun. :)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I know this is probably not going to appeal to anyone out west at all, but just on the off chance some of your would be interested in coming:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320860
I wasn't aware anyone actually lived in the desolate wasteland of Eastern Oregon. I'd like to come but driving 6.5 hours for a small tournament is a bit much for me. I'd come to a tournament in Portland, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis. Hell, even Seattle is closer.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Understandable, dude. Though, I'm hoping to make it a little bit more than "small," primarily because people from Idaho, EWA and so forth will be coming. I'm hoping for at least 20 entries. And yeah, people actually do live out here (kind of lol), I think it's just a matter of everyone being too scattered and not bothering to reach out and seek each other. This tourney's gotten a lot of momentum from Idaho and EWA though, so we'll see how it turns out.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Understandable, dude. Though, I'm hoping to make it a little bit more than "small," primarily because people from Idaho, EWA and so forth will be coming. I'm hoping for at least 20 entries. And yeah, people actually do live out here (kind of lol), I think it's just a matter of everyone being too scattered and not bothering to reach out and seek each other. This tourney's gotten a lot of momentum from Idaho and EWA though, so we'll see how it turns out.
Oregons PR should go and **** **** up. Real talk.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Oregons PR should go and **** **** up. Real talk.
Well, if you guys decided to come, I'd make sure you're well-taken care of and even get a few perks on the side. :colorful: This tourney means a lot to me, so any considerations to make the trip will definitely be noticed and appreciated more than you know. Not to mention, the venue is godlike.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...91770_230421680364247_743897_1368179204_n.jpg

Of course, we wouldn't be playing on HDs lol.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I am definitely willing to go. I just need a handful of people to go with me.
Like I said above, Wad, any of you guys who make the trip out here will be well-taken care of for sure. I know how far it is, and I'm gonna bust my *** to make sure you guys get your time and money's worth.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Well, if you guys decided to come, I'd make sure you're well-taken care of and even get a few perks on the side. :colorful: This tourney means a lot to me, so any considerations to make the trip will definitely be noticed and appreciated more than you know. Not to mention, the venue is godlike.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...91770_230421680364247_743897_1368179204_n.jpg

Of course, we wouldn't be playing on HDs lol.
Because they lag? Some HDs are lagless, I have a plasma that is lagless. LCDs generally suck though. Even 1 frame of lag can **** with Fox. :(

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Because they lag? Some HDs are lagless, I have a plasma that is lagless. LCDs generally suck though. Even 1 frame of lag can **** with Fox. :(
Oh hell yeah. Most I've ever seen lag invariably, regardless of component cables. The interlacing is just too much of an issue for the HD. I played through SMW with my friend PJ last week on his HD, and the entire game we made ******* of ourselves by ****ing slipping into cracks thanks to like 2 frames of delay LOL.

@Wad: If by pancakes you mean torment you all with Ganon's malice for eternity, yes.

I mean, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom