• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Super Awesome Oregon Home Thread!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Eugene smashers there is a 6pm tourney at the batcave and an 8pm 64 tourney at black forest metal bar downtown. Bart and most of the Eugene melee scene will be at the batcave fyi.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was thinking about going to the SSB tourney @8 tonight, but I hear it's going to be on laggy HD TVs and using the old N64 controllers. I might still talk myself into going though.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
shoutouts to Kyle "Ratking" Souder for making me not want to try and play Melee again since he did nothing but sandbag me for 30 minutes.

-Gage

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
shoutouts to Kyle "Ratking" Souder for making me not want to try and play Melee again since he did nothing but sandbag me for 30 minutes.

-Gage
Dude, although I did... I got waaay too high. Like from almost the minute I got there also. I couldn't play even when I was trying to play, at least forward tilts connect. Seriously substances + melee is so bad for me. Please start playing again for serious.

But in keeping with being a better villain then you. "Hahahaha, good, I am glad. I hope you never play again you stupid noob **** holder."

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I actually honestly forgot you even smoked the weed. Aight I can dig it now. Ukew Ukew
Yeah, and it takes literally NOTHING to **** me up (ask Ben). And before we even had that blunt, I was beyond that point . I also had 2 pints and a gin and tonic before I left work. I <3 you. I said you were tight even! And it'd be realllly cool if you started playing, even semi seriously again.

:phone:

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
i vouch for kyle sucking mad **** when he is high. my marth ****IN ***** him. no jokes. and yes he is a light weight lolololololol.

Edit: that being said, can you bring my tv with you tomorrow to best bout? <3

Binx

Smash Master
I have class during bb on wed I prolly wont be able to make it this term except on saturdays, maybe once in a while i could show up around 8 - 8:30.

Also when is next big BB?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I finally got a link to this forum up on the AiB site.
Someone should have given me a link to this forum loooooooong ago (Gage!) lol.

While i'm here, might as well say we didn't go to the 64 tournament, would have loved to go win against a bunch of drunk people, but had a shindig at Andy's place (people might remember him as Jackle).
Also been missing out on a lot of Melee fests since I'm busy, but I also don't really play that game but had fun last time I was at Adams. Thanks to Infinitora who's been good at keeping us informed about the smashfests, we'll try to make it there more regularly.

Catch you SWFers later.

cmin

Smash Ace
add me in LoL BinxyBrown

im bad, like level 13 or something right now
justin why are you always late to a game that I use to play?

also Kyle, I gave it some thinking and im gonna change my name to PC minh. It accommodates both Portland and Corvallis. lolol

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
so it turns out i might not be able to come to bb tonight...if i can come it would only be for like an hour around 8 or so. im gonna try and do that so i can pick up my tv but i really dont know if i will make it. :( :(

Binx

Smash Master
lol @ pc minh

Umm I wanted a game that I wouldnt give a **** about til gw2 comes out so LoL fit the bill perfectly, I mostly just **** around and heal people while watching tv cause I don't care if I win because the game takes next to no skill unless both teams are on skype and know what they are doing.

@ Otto - prolly in the next week, discussion is still happening in the PR thread and none of the judges are talking in the oregon pr group so waiting on some consensus.

Binx

Smash Master
The game is nothing compared to sc2 as far as individual skill it takes to win. At most levels of skill your team is only as good as the worst person on it. Otherwise you can assume that people are going to play their character more or less perfectly, close enough anyways, with very little variation on prediction and such for skill shots.

Then what makes a team better is coordination and attack plans, champ selection builds gank patterns and **** like when to dragon and whatever. But even then at the highest levels of skill from what I've seen of m5 and from what my intuition would tell me individual skill isn't *that* important.

Anyways because the game is kinda fun to own noobs in and I don't care if I win because im not playing the competitive version of the game (and probably wont by the time guild wars 2 comes out) I'm happy doing it the way I am.

Also I played DotA for years and its way harder IMO because you die so much easier have so much less protection and dying costs you gold in that game so it's more severe.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
All your thoughts on the Dota vs LoL are just the stereotypes people think of LoL before even getting into the real meta game of it. I used to be the same way. I was a HoN elitist, but I gave LoL a chance and put a ton of time into it. Individual skill matters quite a bit. One of the most important aspects of the game is the laning phase. That part of the game is based purely on skill. You have to know how to deny them by being aggressive. You have to have complete map awareness. You have to keep your last hits up while looking for chances to gank other lanes. You have to know not only the matchups for the role you play, but also the matchups overall of the team you're playing against, as well as your team.

A lot of the pros in LoL became pro and so skilled at the game, because they did solo queue. Which is just them playing with a team of randoms with no skype or any chat system. The individual skill cap is extremely high. It obviously doesn't compare to SC2 in tech skill. SC2 doesn't have a complete team you have to adapt and work with. Every game is different, because every game varies between the players you play with.

You haven't played the game much and just because you can "own noobs", doesn't mean you have a high understanding of the game. Which is why I said I didn't expect much. There is a reason this game is so competitive and so popular in the high levels of play. It has a lot of depth to it just like all MOBA's do. A lot of analysts are even saying that it's going to surpass Starcraft in Korea soon.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Umm I wanted a game that I wouldnt give a **** about til gw2 comes out so LoL fit the bill perfectly, I mostly just **** around and heal people while watching tv cause I don't care if I win because the game takes next to no skill unless both teams are on skype and know what they are doing.
This is the kind of stupid *** argument that everyone gives when they simply dislike a game or favor a game and want to believe that their main game is the best. IE. Melee to Brawl, SF4 to Marvel, Guilty Gear to Blazblue, HoN to LoL and even SC1 to SC2. Entirely to many people want to make an assumption about a game without actually knowing anything about it.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Gage said:
I was a HoN elitist, but I gave LoL a chance
I was kind of the same way, except I didn't get too into hon but played a lot of dota before hon came out. I always saw LoL as the gimmicky version which was noobified for casuals, but eventually tried it to do something until dota 2 comes out and now I'm just sticking with lol, lol (lol).

:phone:

Binx

Smash Master
I guess when I think about it vs say sc2, I feel like they take basically the same skill set, you need to have map vision, you need to have minimap awareness, you need to have "micro" you need to have "macro"(kind of) but those skills are trivialized from one game to the other for the most part.

Not trying to say it's a bad game or anything, I'm just saying at my level of play it doesnt mean anything, which is true, which is why im playing it because I just wanted something entertaining until gw2 comes out. In a lot of ways im happy i played sc2 so seriously before this though cause it helped me a lot with movement, like if i have a faster hero I spend a lot of my time when my team is running from one place to the other scouting around us carefully and its gotten us a lot of team ganks and stuff which s pretty nice, its basically just end game army movement.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm on Gage and Yugo's side on this. People who say that a game is 'easy' are generally admitting that they aren't playing that game on a high level of play. It's better just to say you 'prefer' this aspect or that more in a game, instead.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
I guess when I think about it vs say sc2, I feel like they take basically the same skill set, you need to have map vision, you need to have minimap awareness, you need to have "micro" you need to have "macro"(kind of) but those skills are trivialized from one game to the other for the most part.
But LoL and SC2 are two entirely different games requiring a different set of skills to play each game effectively. You don't go off saying SC2 is better than DBZ:BT3 because DBZ doesn't have macro. Yes, LoL and SC do have some similar skillsets needed, but to get into the different levels of League or Starcraft you actually have to play the game for more than 2 hours. You didn't understand the higher levels of Smash right away, otherwise I'm pretty sure you would be beating Eggz or Zelgadis free. Hell, even those two players haven't gotten to understand the higher levels of smash yet. You may have played the game a few times, but you haven't gotten close to understanding it at a high level. You should acknowledge that the two games have different mechanics entirely and aren't trying to compete with each other in terms of which one takes more skill or which one is more simplistic.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I just think the biggest difference if you're trying to compare the two is that SC2 is a 1vs1 game and LoL is a 5vs5 game. In SC, you don't have to take into consideration mistakes other people will make on your team. Things can vary a lot more, because there is 10 minds at work instead of just two.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I actually love 2v2/3v3 in SC2, you have some nifty tricks you can do in the game. Of course, my friend mostly carried me in 2v2, I just basically built the occasional cheese and supported until I came out with Brood Lords/Mutas in the late game and bombed them haha.

Binx

Smash Master
I was just trying to say that imo lol takes the same set of skills that sc takes but a lot of them seem trivialized, I know im not playing it at the highest levels, even my original post said thats why I don't care, because no matter how good or careful I am and how much I tell my team what to do if they don't actually listen or respond quick enough or control their stuff right there is only so much I can do to carry them.

The same is true in sc2 team games. Which is why I don't play those, or when I do I don't take them seriously. LoL is not a game of skill when queuing solo, you can have skill but ultimately the end result of random matches is going to be based a lot on luck as the team with the biggest feeder is the one that is going to lose most of the time.

Also when I played DotA I played it for years, for hours and hours most days, minh jayce and I were all pretty good at DotA so I already had a lot of the basic skill sets. I'm not trying to pretend I'm super pro or anything, I don't know what half the champs do still, but I'm not badmouthing high level play or the game itself either so I don't understand why everyone is acting like I am.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
The game still takes a lot of skill in solo queue. Which I think you still don't realize. Yes, games can have feeders, but once you get that point. You are playing with a lot of extremely skilled people that push you to your limits. You still play in the baby levels of the game, which is why it would seem that whatever team has less feeders is the one that wins. When you get into higher level games there are a lot less people who feed. Everyone is pretty aware of buff controls, as well as objective controls. Right now, it's like you're playing against a really bad random in smash. Obviously you aren't going to really improve that much. Once you get better and get to play better people. You definitely see how high of a skill cap there is in the game. I have over 1500 games played in LoL and I'm not even CLOSE to the highest level of play, even in Solo Queue.

You were saying that in the high level of play, people play their character perfectly or close to perfect. Which means that it takes less skill since you can assume how they'll play. That's partially true, but even in the highest level of play. People aren't playing champions even close to perfectly. There is also the variation of how often the jungler comes to gank you or your jungler ganks for you.

keeper

Smash Champion
Starcraft: Brood War is harder to play than Starcraft 2 for multiple reasons. Some of them including that the game is old and has crappy AI (Dragoons), has a few exploits that aren't obvious but are viable and do cool things (Hold position lurkers, mutalisk stacking), and it requires the player to do more things at once since it's less possible to automate things (such as sending workers to mine). Doesn't necessarily make it a better game, but it does make it harder to appreciate from an unfamiliar standpoint (I find it hard to watch since I don't know what's happening a lot of the time since observers don't get information tabs to keep track of things happening such as production or units or resources lost).

I have no idea about playing DotA based games, though I think they singularly take less intensive of a skillset. You play it a ton, but you also have to be able to work with others. I think this comes back to the arguing any team-based game against a singles game. It's a difficult argument to objectively make in favor or either, but it can be argued that the skillsets are both easier and more difficult in a couple of regards. Team-based play obviously has more variables to account for that are more tangible, where singles based on fall onto a single individual. The reliance factor in teams is often a breaking point, whether pre-made or randomly selected.
Team-based play in Starcraft 2 is pretty poor at the moment partially due to the map pool, which comes from an overall negligence towards taking it seriously from Blizzard and the community. Everything is amplified in it and the metagame is much more timing attack based. I feel more comfortable doing 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 when I'm playing with my friends, but that's because we can communicate things or synch up. I still play 2v2 pretty regularly on ladder though and don't usually disappoint myself.

I think MOBAs (terrible acronym) probably require less APM and multitask (probably because I've only ever observed, it's a dangerous assumption made based on the grounds that you control only one character). I can't speak to what they probably do require and I'd rather not make more assumptions. This isn't to say I think either is a more valid game in competition, but I internally do favor Starcraft since I actively watch and play it. I do think LoL/DotA/DotA2/HoN/whatever tend to be easier or more inviting of games to pick up from a new player's perspective as I think RTS's are a bit more intimidating due to extreme economic management.

Hockey is a cool sport. I miss playing it, but know I wouldn't be happy with my performance if I were to play it now due to how rusty I'd be, having to drop about $2000 just to get equipment that fits, and spending a couple months limbering back up and getting my "calves of steel" back. I used to be able to wall-sit for about two minutes straight and sit in the splits. Oh well.

Shoutouts go to Tribes: Ascend. That game is ridiculously hard to hit anything with anything for an FPS and has the tried-and-true gimmick of skiing around everywhere, which is incredibly fun and interesting to use.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You're actually pretty spot on, multi-tasking is not the sort of thing that is emphasized much in MOBA games, although there are traces of it like last hitting/creep management, pets, and some other nuances. I feel there's a lot of stat calculation that makes itself very visible at top play though, like I might be going out on a limb when I say this, but the difference in knowing the specific stat calculations of an upgraded unit in SC2 (although it comes out in units : cost and type advantage ratios) is not nearly as necessary as the data crunching for stats/abilities/item values in a MOBA, there are people who do play the game almost entirely by a systemic number crunching style haha.

My brother tried out the Tribes Beta/Alpha (I forget which is out now), it's pretty legit.

Also, UT is a very underrated shooter, it is very classic and smacks of an archetyped 90s/early 2000 shooter, but has the potential for good tournament play imo. Oh, and it also has the ability to hoverboard around (you can tether to vehicles and do tricks and pivots too, which is pretty neat, there's even a "Snow-real" mod where it's pure hoverboarding on the mountains lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom