• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Do I seriously see you guys in here talking about double roy strats? What the ****.

Seriously.

Tag-team chain grabbing. Get at me.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
How do you perform the quick turnaround from crouch position if your opponent rolls behind you and you wish to dtilt him again?

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
always be behind each other if we do that since roys up throw sends them behind him a little bit
Unless the opponent is at 200% it's practically unnoticeable. Your grab range is large enough to cover the distance the opponent will move without DI from an up-throw easily.

EDIT: Also, down and forward throws would be much more reliable for tag team chaingrabbing since they can't be DId away from the other Roy, only more or less towards him.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
How do you perform the quick turnaround from crouch position if your opponent rolls behind you and you wish to dtilt him again?
Dtilt has IASA frames that can be used to interrupt the move's ending animation. You can cancel the lag with a walk, so if he rolls behind you, hold the stick toward him, and you'll turn around. Immediately push down (don't smash down) on the control stick and hit A. If you do it correctly you will quickly turn around and dtilt again the opposite direction.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
umm how bout this on fast fallahs. dtilt>IASAgrab>cg>uair>fsmash.
if they di away from dtilt, dash jc grab. if they di in back of you,pivot grab.

also ledge hop dair is good, BUT its not worth using cause if you dont meteor they have a better chance to recover. they would have to sweetspot the ledge meaning ledgeroll is better.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Down air to down smash.
It works.

When being vertically comboed, DED stall to down air, forward smash, edge guard.
Down air is too good for Fast fallers.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
cant dair>dsmash be di'ed out of at high %?

i like the idea of killing fox from a dtilt. or fair to dtilt for that matter.
but thats just FD.

also if the enemy techs away on the edge, dair. if the enemy di's away, fsmash. if he di's toward the stage, improvise.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

also ledge hop dair is good, BUT its not worth using cause if you dont meteor they have a better chance to recover. they would have to sweetspot the ledge meaning ledgeroll is better.
Also, dair to usmash on floatier characters is the coolest thing ever. It's a sexy way to get a kill at around 120%-ish (depending on the stage).

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
the upsmashes fire can be SDI'd to make it just a spark with barely any knockback. but if they dont expect it they usually fail to SDI it.

what we should be doing is talking about what moves are be best to punish w/. and thats fsmash, dtilt,DED. for approaches though; fair>dtilt(jab if to close), nair, spaced/retreat fair, and DD can be used w/ all of them.

what should be used after dtilt against floaties? heavies too?

Sukai

Smash Champion
Forward Throw to DED on floaties, if they DI wrong, you can get ^4 of >4 in, but don't count on it.

Either >>v or >>^v, it works nicely.

I know the subject, but I wouldn't down tilt floaties and expect to follow up on them.

Sukai

Smash Champion
DED is easily one of Roy's best attack, spaces well, and he has a plethora of options depending on his type of opponent.
It air stalls for mindgames, and shuts down petty approaches.

LSDX

Wah!
Anyone have anything thoughts on Roy's 3rd up portion of his DED along with his 3rd down portion?

Sukai

Smash Champion
I'm the DED man here.
Up hit is a combo starter for other DED inputs, all variant on DI.

If they DI down, they'll bounce and sets up for a fourth up hit or a fourth forward hit.
If they DI up or away, they'll fall, at low percents they're screwed, floaties can be hit with the fourth down hit, fastfallers, you have to tech chase. At higher percents they can tech it.

Third down hit is an anti-CC move and a decent edge guarder.

It's great to mix up DEDs.

LSDX

Wah!
I'm the DED man here.
Up hit is a combo starter for other DED inputs, all variant on DI.

If they DI down, they'll bounce and sets up for a fourth up hit or a fourth forward hit.
If they DI up or away, they'll fall, at low percents they're screwed, floaties can be hit with the fourth down hit, fastfallers, you have to tech chase. At higher percents they can tech it.

Third down hit is an anti-CC move and a decent edge guarder.

It's great to mix up DEDs.
I always found the DED's 3rd up portion to be the most lacking on stage b/c it can be tech'd out of easily along with invicibility frames for the opponent.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I always found the DED's 3rd up portion to be the most lacking on stage b/c it can be tech'd out of easily along with invicibility frames for the opponent.
Not on low percents.
And in order for them to tech it, they'd have to see it coming, which is why you should mix it up.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i have an idea *lightbulb*

after dtilt on floaties, throw in empty SHs. if they throw out attacks, u can punish. :) what do u people think.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Empty shorthops are always good with Roy. He's obviously has more (and better) options on the ground. Floaties can't really be comboed with dtilt at higher percents, so the SH baiting might be a good choice. I (as always) would also advocate doing a platform waveland if possible and going into DED, fsmash, or usmash from there.

If I KNOW the opponent won't be mindgamed, I usually just jump cancel my dtilt into flareblade for free damage.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Don't just pop an empty short hop out, sometimes they'll charge in and just hit you.
Always prepare for a waveland when busting out empty short hops.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Indeed, SH fastfall is a good mindgame once or twice a match, and might be okay for bait once in a while (I would recommend dash dancing and edge stalling more though). but be careful about it, and mind the fact that a good player will not be fooled, and even if he/she is fooled, it might not give you a huge advantage. and Dtilt Flareblade won't always work, it depends on the character and percentage.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
lol Dtilt > SHFFLed Uair is well known.

@Chival: XD you don't need to JC your Dtilts, crouching automatically cancels dash.

Sukai

Smash Champion
So, I'm starting to become fond of FJ uair > land on platform > DED/Fsmash. Any thoughts?
Someone isn't afraid to think outside the box.
This is the NEW strategem discussion, not reviewing and clinging to the old.
Full jumped, fast falled up air is a wonderful bait and punish tactic.
For one, the aerial auto cancels this way, so no need to worry about ****ing up the l-cancel, unless you jump over a platform.
Second it is a free forward smash (or another {short hopped} up air) on fast-fallers, due to the low knock back, DIing does very little to help.
Third, again it's a bait and punish move, that depending on the spacing of your opponent, can lead to a shield grab, forward smash or a dashing DED. Don't knock it because it's full hopped, full hop forward (and neutral) air is nice to set up for edge guarding.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
this thread just gets more constructive every time i sign on. :]

how about wd from the ledge to ded when the enemy lands on the stage. of course you ded in back of you, or towards the enemy.
i dont think i explained that well enough so ask if u dont understand lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I love full hops with roy. its more useful than you think

Top Bottom