• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Reign; a Guide to BBrawl Ganon

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I assume this is the right place to put this, since that seemed to be the agreement with the mods previously.

For those who don't know, Balanced Brawl is a patch of sorts Ampazing Ampharos and myself developed this summer. The idea is to balance the characters while leaving as much as possible untouched, including hitbox sizes, hitbox positions, all attack speeds and timings, and all aspects of character movement and control. It can be played on any Wii, hacked or not, so I hope everyone can give it a try. We've had feedback from lots of players to make this final version and are very pleased with how it turned out. Ganon players need to check out the video showcase especially!

So... Ganon!

Ganon was by far the most changed character in BBrawl even if his playstyle remains the same. For that reason, I am writing this short guide about everything you could ever want to know about Ganon in BBrawl. (I am not doing this for any other character, since they don't need it.) Now, there are two types of first impressions people get about him:

"Ganon sucks! Nothing about him was fixed, he's still slow and has no safe options, his recovery still sucks, and all the other characters are better!"

-OR-

"Ganon is terrifying, totally broken, and got waaaay too many buffs."

Clearly, the truth is somewhere in between. I think Ganon is middle of the pack in BBrawl right now, perhaps slightly above average. (The characters are so close now that it's hard to tell...) Ganon got the most attention of any character, and I feel really good about his matchups in the final release; none are too good or too bad, and it's a nice spread.

Let's first look at Ganon's total changelist:

Code:
Up tilt wind damage (0%) -> (1%)
Down tilt slip element (like bananas; causes trip)
Down smash first hit sweetspot knockback (100/0) -> (90/0), angle (140) -> (150)
Down smash first hit sourspot knockback (100/0) -> (75/0), angle (50) -> (150)
Down smash second hit damage (14%) -> (16%), knockback (75/60) -> (80/60)
Pummel damage (2%) -> (5%), darkness element
Back throw damage (5%) -> (6%) (New total: 11%)
Up throw damage (3%) -> (5%) (New total: 9%)
Down throw has more constant knockback (50/70) -> (25/75)
Aerial Flame Choke damage (12%) -> (14%)
Dark Dive uppercut damage (7%) -> (18%), knockback (90/70) -> (90/80)
Dark Dive repeated hits damage (1%) -> (2%) (new total: 15%)
Dark Dive throw angle (-) -> (335)
Wizard's Foot startup hit damage (12%) -> (16%), knockback (70/60) -> (65/75)
Wizard's Foot duration hit damage (10%) -> (11%), knockback (70/60) -> (70/75)
Aerial Wizard's Foot initial hitbox knockback (100/50) -> (46/40), grounding element
Aerial Wizard's Foot landing hitbox knockback (35/80) -> (0/80), angle (80) -> (0)
It's a pretty big list, but close inspection shows that a majority of his moves (including all aerials) are unchanged. (Like everyone in BBrawl.) I'm going to detail five big changes that actually affect how you play Ganondorf.

1. D-tilt Trips

First, let me preface: This is the biggest change in BBrawl, to anyone. This is the biggest buff, the biggest new advantage, that ANYONE got, by far. If you disagree, you are wrong. This is a really, really powerful tool that no one could use quite like Ganon does.

The first impression for any Ganon player is that d-tilt is now like another side-b. Sure, it doesn't go through shields, it does 12%, it has longer range and doesn't move Ganon, but it's similar: it disables your opponent into a tech-chase position where they have four options.

However, the trip state has key differences from the state that Flame Choke Forces, that allow the following additional options:

• Standing Grab on most characters
  • Dash/Pivot Grab on all characters
  • Footstool
  • Jab on all characters but Kirby (instead of just some)
  • SH dair on all characters but Kirby (instead of just some)
  • Wizard's Foot on all characters but Kirby (instead of just some)
  • ...and most importantly... FLAME CHOKE!

D-tilt always gives 9 frames advantage for Ganon, against all characters. Repeating d-tilt forces the tripped opponent to stand up.

What that last point means is that d-tilt always leads to Flame Choke unless the opponent buffers an inward roll. (And even then against Bowser.) That means that if you have unavoidable Flame Choke to d-tilt on your opponent, you can alternate chokes and d-tilts until they roll inward! ...which, obviously, is super-duper punishable if you read it...

Footstool is another interesting option. If the opponent does not buffer a move and remains still for merely 3 frames, you can jump forward and footstool them. If the d-tilt lands the opponent behind Ganon as it will sometimes do to those very close and DIing that way, you can footstool them if they even waste one frame sitting there! I'll cover what this means more in a second.

2. Aerial Wizard's Foot Grounds

If you thought DK Head-Butt-to-Giant-Punch was good... The initial hitbox (the spike part) of Ganon's aerial down-b now grounds. This technique is just brutal. It comes out fast, and essentially risks the massive-as-ever ending lag for what is going to be about 40% damage at less than 50%, and a KO above that.

First let's talk about how you actually pull this off. Jekyll was actually the one who found the real place for this, and that is as the finisher to your Flame Choke/d-tilt tech chase strings. It's easy to hit any reaction except away roll with the opening of your aerial down-b! You can also get down-b's out of footstools of course, which you can now get on delay from any d-tilt! Occassionally I will use this as a risky mixup too now and then, when coming back from the ledge.

So once you've got your opponent disabled in the ground, what then? Don't get greedy and go for the f-smash at low %s, they will break out. A u-smash is your best bet, and at the lowest %s they will break out just in time to get sweetspotted by the boot. Warlock Punch is going to be totally impossible, don't even think about it.

3. Grounded Wizard Foot is a TRUCK

The opening hitbox of (grounded) WizKick now does 16%. That's a lot.

Hitboxes in Brawl will totally outprioritize another if it does at least 10% more damage. That means WizKick now plows through everything in the game that does 6% or less... and most things in the game... do 6% or less....

Jabs? Weak tilts? Any sort of repeating attack? PROJECTILES? The mighty truck laughs at all.

Keep in mind though, once you land this and do that sweet, sweet 16% to the opponent... it will be stale, and be less able to go through things. It might be most wise in some matchups to pull this out in the middle of stocks, after you try for SH dairs at low %s when the opponent is goin for their own combos instead of relying on projectiles?

Also, the duration of WizKick does 11%. That is enough to go through repeating jabs and even Bowser Fire Breath! Kinda handy, but not as fundamental.

Oh, and a word of warning... any type of laser will outprioritize anything. Curse you, Falco!

4. Dark Dive is the Most Evil Attack Ever

So, there's two parts to this.

The first is that the uppercut on Dark Dive is EXTREMELY deadly and will kill most characters at stage level with DI at around 50%. Ledgeguarding against Ganon is really, really risky. If you manage to go up out of the blue and hit someone high above the stage with it, expect them to die at any %.

The second is that the grab itself sends opponents at a diagonal angle DOWNWARD. That gives it a knockback unlike any other attack in smash, which can put opponents under the stage or off in the bottom corner. either way, not something many characters can recover from. "You're not gonna need DI, you're gonna need therapy!"

5. U-tilt wind Does Damage

This at first seems silly. Why does adding a couple %s of damage to a move that is ALWAYS punished make it better? Well, three small tricks:

First, the wind out-ranges Sheik's chain. That means you can do u-tilt against a camping Sheik; she's take some damage, you'll take about the same amount of damage when she is pulled into you, and she will have been dragged a few feet. the key is that you can control the camping Sheik's position, and get her out from under platforms and such, while only trading damage. Plus, trading damage is always good for Ganondorf.

Second, doing 1% damage means the wind now inflicts shield-stun. This makes opponent's struggle and panic more as they try to get away from the impending volcano. More often can Ganon pull of surprise u-tilts, and less often is he punished for attempting. don't go crazy though, it's still a pretty awful move.

Third, a final small trick is using it as a novelty defense to kill tossed Pikmin. Laugh as they get trapped in your tornado, choke to death on the wind damage, and die to the volcano kick! No promises that you won't get grabbed afterwards, but I've taken people by surprise with it in a few situations leading to my advantage.

...well, that's it for now. I'll probably add pictures and revise later. I hope you guys play aroudn with BBrawl, especailly Ganon, because I'm really pleased with how he turned out in particular. Also, it was great talking to all of you who helped provide input during BBrawl's development!

At any rate, I'll certainty stick around and answer any questions. I've played Ganon more than anyone else in BBrawl, so I feel like I could address pretty much anything at this point.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Well, I'm at least glad that we got our upwards-killing part of Wizkick back.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will easily find that some characters that you have buffed, some that you have left alone, and some that you have even nerfed, with still absolutely **** Ganon. While I appreciate greatly the removal of chaingrabs and the like, the only matchups that you have truly improved beyond the hard counter range for Ganon would have to be Yoshi, Shiek, maybe Pikachu, perhaps Ice Climbers, and (I seriously doubt it) MK.

As such, as the metagame changes to adapt, you will probably find that while Ganon is suddenly doing better against the people he already did decently against, he will still get absolutely ***** by everybody else, especially the one's that you've buffed.

18.15.2.15x12.9.14.11

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm at least glad that we got our upwards-killing part of Wizkick back.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will easily find that some characters that you have buffed, some that you have left alone, and some that you have even nerfed, with still absolutely **** Ganon. While I appreciate greatly the removal of chaingrabs and the like, the only matchups that you have truly improved beyond the hard counter range for Ganon would have to be Yoshi, Shiek, maybe Pikachu, perhaps Ice Climbers, and (I seriously doubt it) MK.

As such, as the metagame changes to adapt, you will probably find that while Ganon is suddenly doing better against the people he already did decently against, he will still get absolutely ***** by everybody else, especially the one's that you've buffed.
lol and I thought the Link boards were pessimistic xD

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
His playstyle isn't the same.

Also, this is not me saying I'm against BBrawl in some way, but when the showcase video says 'all the techs you learned and mastered are still there,' that's just false. BBrawl team removed Grab chains and altered move behaviour. In that manner you've removed some techs.

As a Ganon player, the thing I will say I dislike the most of all the changes is the dtilt trip. I like my Choke followups. I liked and continue to enjoy having to memorize a chart that's larger than my own monitor about what Choke does to who. The change you made there cut all of that down just a "roll out" vs "not-roll out" techread game.

U-tilt wind damage is pure genius. I want to stress how literally I mean that statement. It is 100% concentrated geniality. Geniuses strive to be more like the Platonic form which is exemplified in whatever person or collective manifesto of persons came up with that.

I just want to know which Ganons were consulted when consultations were what the BBrawl Dev team was going, because I don't see how this could have come from any Ganon player I know. Though it would make perfect sense if that's confidential.

I feel as though BBrawl overall does not preserve what is Ganon about Ganon. At this point, it's just whining, because if I play BBrawl it would be for another character (Falco is pretty sexy); but that's my reaction and opinion.

Alternately, I might play BBrawl to prove Ganon is busted. :p

Question: Will Dark Dive's electric hits do 2% to surrounding characters? Is that the same hitbox?

And tip:
Thinkaman said:
"Ganon sucks! Nothing about him was fixed, he's still slow and has no safe options, his recovery still sucks, and all the other characters are better!"

-OR-

"Ganon is terrifying, totally broken, and got waaaay too many buffs."

Clearly, the truth is somewhere in between.
Argumentum ad temperantiam. :teach:
<-- SWF needs this.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
His playstyle isn't the same.

I feel as though BBrawl overall does not preserve what is Ganon about Ganon.
The only changes that aren't just a generic improvement (damage buffs, knockback buffs, etc.) is Dtilt tripping and Utilt wind damage(which doesn't really change his playstyle). I can see a small argument for aerial wizkick grounding opponents but even then how often do you hit grounded opponents with the initial hitbox of the wizkick? Following up on the Dtilt is easier but it isn't oversimplified to roll away or roll towards Ganon. The trip makes attacking or just sitting there a lot more punishable though. After playing with a dark dive that semi-spikes, it feels like it should have always been that way (it fits the name too :)).

I know it's just your opinion but how does Dtilt tripping not preserve Ganon's playstyle? What was it about the Dtilt that didn't trip that felt more like Ganon? I admit it does look weird but beyond that I don't see how it isn't like Ganon to have a Dtilt that trips.

The electric sparks do more damage to everyone who gets hit and it is the same hitbox.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think Ganondorf is still terrible, although I think his buffs do make it so that he CAN win. You need to wait for that one opportunity, but once you take advantage of it, there is a very real possibility of getting a 0-death with Ganon, or something as comparatively devastaing. That's my impression.

Basically Ganondorf still has most of the same problems that make his matchups suck. It's just that his bad matchups suck less since people are more likely to die when they mess up.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Could've given Ganondorf some grab range so that he can at least do something when approaching or attacked on shield.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Also, this is not me saying I'm against BBrawl in some way, but when the showcase video says 'all the techs you learned and mastered are still there,' that's just false. BBrawl team removed Grab chains and altered move behaviour. In that manner you've removed some techs.
Uh... which ones? The burden of proof is on you, but you're not stating any. Making something no longer guaranteed is not at all the same as removing it, and then the idea definition of "tech" comes into play. Is mashing Z is grab release chain Ness as Marth a "tech"?

As a Ganon player, the thing I will say I dislike the most of all the changes is the dtilt trip. I like my Choke followups. I liked and continue to enjoy having to memorize a chart that's larger than my own monitor about what Choke does to who.
Right! Me too! This is what I LOVE about Ganon! This is exactly the part of his game that this change extends!

The change you made there cut all of that down just a "roll out" vs "not-roll out" techread game.
What? Not at all. In fact, it's the complete opposite of what you just said. It adds a level of depth and yomi that flame choke alone only started, in both matchups where d-tilt is gauranteed out of choke and those where it isn't.

It's self-evident that since d-tilt is a 10-frame move that gives you a 9-frame advantage, be design accepting a guaranteed d-tilt is reducing your frame advantage. It's better than ever as a tactic, but it's not strictly superior to f-smash, d-smash, dash attack, f-tilt, grab, or even jab! All of Ganon's other options out of flame choke still have a place... even quake is more viable than before!

Rolling away is just asking to eat a 16% WizKick (that thing can KO) in any situation, though it avoids all the most deadly options. Standing up let's them avoid a lot of things, including buffered flame chokes from d-tilt. (Ganon has to wait at least a frame or two for his flame choke to cover normal standups usually.)

In no way has Ganon's option tree been reduced to some sort of binary choice, I can assure you of this. Rather, it's been given a second generation of branches extending from the first.

I just want to know which Ganons were consulted when consultations were what the BBrawl Dev team was going, because I don't see how this could have come from any Ganon player I know. Though it would make perfect sense if that's confidential.
Not confidential at all. Early on I talked to Jykell when first testing changes. When things started to fall together, I ran the state of things past Sliq and FD. Towards the final release I talked with Big O a couple of times about Ganon's specific options.

Keep in mind, I myself was a Ganon main for a few months after Brawl's release, and have maintained him as a secondary ever sense. I bragged in another topic about beating Jekyll and TP in dittos.

I feel as though BBrawl overall does not preserve what is Ganon about Ganon. At this point, it's just whining, because if I play BBrawl it would be for another character (Falco is pretty sexy); but that's my reaction and opinion.
Have you played it? Sorry if this assumption is wrong, but nothing in your post indicates that you have. All testers who've played Ganon an extended period of time thinks Ganon is just as Ganony as ever. Again, I've played Ganon far more than anyone else.

And tip:
Argumentum ad temperantiam. :teach:
<-- SWF needs this.
With both the arguments are obvious exaggerations, stating that the truth lies between them is not so much a logical fallacy as it is self-evident.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Could've given Ganondorf some grab range so that he can at least do something when approaching or attacked on shield.
We didn't change any hitbox sizes, for anything. All hitbox size changes we tested, even small ones, were HATED by testers. It's just not reasonable to play against an opponent who can land attacks that they normally can't land.

It's one thing to change the effect on hit (damage, knockback), because the person getting hit made a mistake. No one can john and say "Oh, we I wouldn't have let myself get hit if I had known that move did 1% more damage." They never intended to get hit in the first place, and they screwed up.

It's a whole 'nother can of worms to rewrite the rules of when and when not hits connect in the first place. Players have to completely relearn spacing, timing, or whatever else factors into the new rules. Even something as mild as aerial lag can't be changed, because people make decisions around it. If you are constantly trying to punish aerial lag that just isn't there any more, you're going to get fed up and call B.S.

We actually tested extra range on some Ganon things specifically. The player response was... not good to say the least. I think Legan threw his controller down and turned off the system. It's just too jarring to overrule all the experience and muscle memory peopel have with the game.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You're not balancing the game if Ganondorf is as terrible and helpless as before, just with a few flashier tricks/new kill setups.

Who cares what kill setups he has if he still has no way to actually use them? Dude is slow as **** moving through a colon during constipation, and with no grab range to boot, he's still gonna get camped to hell and back and sitll gonna be the worst character in the game, damage changes and all.

Not to be mean or anything, but just changing things doesn't make a game "balanced" it just makes it "tweaked." A "balanced" game would make everyone viable, not just fancify some things without addressing core problems of the best/worst characters.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You're not balancing the game if Ganondorf is as terrible and helpless as before, just with a few flashier tricks/new kill setups.

Who cares what kill setups he has if he still has no way to actually use them? Dude is slow as **** moving through a colon during constipation, and with no grab range to boot, he's still gonna get camped to hell and back and sitll gonna be the worst character in the game, damage changes and all.

Not to be mean or anything, but just changing things doesn't make a game "balanced" it just makes it "tweaked." A "balanced" game would make everyone viable, not just fancify some things without addressing core problems of the best/worst characters.
Phantom? You're awesome. I'm glad somebody else has finally seen what I've been talking about this whole entire time.

weinner

Smash Apprentice
Dude Is Slow As **** Moving Through A Colon During Constipation.
Epic Metaphor!

Not To Be Mean Or Anything, But Just Changing Things Doesn't Make A Game "balanced" It Just Makes It "tweaked." A "balanced" Game Would Make Everyone Viable, Not Just Fancify Some Things Without Addressing Core Problems Of The Best/worst Characters.
I concur. IMO, the only way to balance a game is to have every character simply to be model swaps of one character, and, let's face it, that would be boring.

Simply to prove my point, here is an example.

Let's say every character in Brawl was like Mario and everything is the same (fall speed, dash speed, hitboxes, damages, ect.) and good golly, everything is balanced. Now let's say we change one thing individually for each character, (knock-back is what I will use in this example) suddenly the incredible sustained balance has now been lost. Imagine a debate over this change. "Hard-hitters" would say that their characters have an easier time K.O.ing and "Soft-shots" would say that their characters would combo easily. Now there are debates about which is better, Killing in a small amount of hits or abnormally long strings of attacks. Now let's say attack speed would change, now debates arise over which is better, Hard shots that are hard to land or Soft shots that are easy to land. Tiers list will pop-up, people will complain about why character X is below character Y and give a illogical reason as to why X should be above Y. As you can see, that demonstartion only changed 2 things, and already you can begin to see the huge uproar that arises due to several opinions. From what I have seen of BBrawl, several variating factors are still there (projectiles, multiple jumps, weight and fall speed differences, ect.) so, on a technical stand point Brawl, if you wish to keep the same mechanics, will never be balanced. I do see however that you are looking for balanced match-ups and not characters (I curious to see how Ganondorf vs. IC will be balanced at all), but that is something to not and that you probably already came to the conclusion of and accepted.

So yeah, I think I wrote a lot but said a little. :|

I'm now nitpicking.

:034:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Don't judge BBrawl Ganon until you send someone to their depths with Dark Dive. It is one of the most satisfying things I have done with Ganon as of late.

They can't even tech on the wall half of the time when you're recovering because of the angle it sends them at. They don't even hit the wall. Seriously, edgeguarding Ganon now is still somewhat easy, but if you barely mess up, you are dead.

You can still do all of the choke follow ups. I don't see how using d-tilt takes away anything. You can still use f-tilt, you can still follow up with DA.

It's okay though, the Ganon boards have learned to be pessimistic.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Haha, I've done that. It's the most badass way to kill someone indeed. It's a serious "WHAT THE ****" moment.

Edgecamping with the Up-B uppercut (hold down while pretending to sweetspot the ledge) is also a great way to punish people who like sitting next to the edge trying to punish your getup.

I'm just saying however, Ganondorf needs at least one way to be safe that has decent range and speed. Whether it's reduced landing lag on N-air, or increased grab range, that really what he needs to stay competitive.

If you can be allowed to change the speed of Pokemon switches and Ike's SideB on hit, something like that shouldn't be unreasonable. For example with the N-air change, we're not making it so that it can't be shieldgrabbed (with the exception of slower grabs like Olimar's). I want to see the lag reduced on it so that characters can't randomly get a moderately big hit in by dropping/jumping out of shield.

TP

Smash Master
Guys, you aren't looking at big picture. Sure, Olimars and Falcos and Snakes will camp us harder than ever, but we can now deal with it. Just try to make the neutral on the Wifi Practice Stage. Wait behind the sandbag, Ftilt it forward. This will block their projectiles and keep you safe. Use this to position yourself well and then kill them.

The point is, you have to play the god**** game before you can judge. Not just a couple matches either. Play the **** game.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
Don't tell me that any competent Ganon can go a match without hitting his opponent. No matter how good and campy the opponent it, a competent Ganon should be able to get in a hit or two, and that's exactly the point. When he does get that hit, the opponent will suffer like he has never suffered before. In vBrawl, he couldn't deal enough damage during his fleeting opportunities to make it worthwhile; in BBrawl, he can and is most certainly not the worst character.

Yes, Ganon will get camped to hell (though he can go right through projectiles now), yes, he'll take 20+ hits without dealing any damage of his own, but that's fine; he can even it up instantly with 4-5 mighty blows of destruction - that's the entire point of the character, and that's what makes him fun.

You cannot run. You cannot hide. No matter where you go, the King of evil has a terrifying option.
If you are above Ganon, an uppercut will kill you.
If you are in front of Ganon, a 16 damage Wizkick to the face will kill you.
If you are below Ganon, and Grounding Wizkick will kill you.
If you shield against Ganon, flamechoke will kill you.
This is why Ganon was fun in vBrawl, and even more so in BBrawl. Getting hit by Ganon is absolutely terrifying. Unleashing sheer destruction upon the opponent is unequivocally the most satisfying thing one can possibly do in this game.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
With both the arguments are obvious exaggerations, stating that the truth lies between them is not so much a logical fallacy as it is self-evident.
No, it's an argumentum ad temperantiam. That a statement is an exaggeration is something about the disposition of the speaker; not about the truth of the words.

I can see it was written more as prose, for an effect, but, because of the unfortunate truth that fallacies really do fool people - and that those words actually concern a relevant question - it might be prudent to rewrite it.

Now the tech that you removed, I observed with Peach ... or Fox... the other day while on Wifi. I saw it and thought "hey, that doesn't exist in BBrawl because they took out X."

But I forgot what it was.

I suppose I'll experiment BBrawl once I get an SD-USB-connecting whatever-the-heck-it's-called.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Guys, you aren't looking at big picture. Sure, Olimars and Falcos and Snakes will camp us harder than ever, but we can now deal with it. Just try to make the neutral on the Wifi Practice Stage. Wait behind the sandbag, Ftilt it forward. This will block their projectiles and keep you safe. Use this to position yourself well and then kill them.

The point is, you have to play the god**** game before you can judge. Not just a couple matches either. Play the **** game.
Protip: Olimar, Ivysuar, and ROB are special exceptions who have projectiles that go through sandbag. Ness/Lucas Pk Fire is also pretty effective on it if you are standing too close. Otherwise Ganon likes WWR more than most characters imo; his jab is perfect for quickly pushing the bag forward in front of you as you advance behind it.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
It would be so cool if at the end of the dark dive,after the clutch, Ganon pushed the opponent down, stepped on their face, and while lunging upward off of their nose, propelled them down in an opposite direction semi spike, like the tipman. Man...that would be the best thing ever.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

Have you actually tried it? It is easy to glance at the change list and say he still sucks but you really have to play and experiment with the changes to get a good idea of how much the changes affect him.

First of all he isn't as terrible or helpless as before. With RCO gone he certainly isn't as helpless on the ledge as before.

Instead of people willingly getting hit by dark dive as an edge guard tactic so they can hit you, they get semi-spiked to oblivion (it is also not punishable on hit anymore). Instead of getting love tapped for botched edge hogs they get a shoryuken of darkness (stronger than Luigi's) for their troubles.

Instead of getting punished for landing a wizkick at like 40% it now has the knockback to actually be both safe on hit and a kill move at much lower damages. It also powers through many projectiles and multi hit jabs meaning you can punish them from almost halfway across FD. Since he can wizkick through a lot of spam he is harder to camp than before...

You no longer get punished on hit by using Dsmash due to its terrible linking or them air dodging the second hit (flame choke to Dsmash now kills Olimar at 90% from the middle of FD no matter how good his DI/momentum canceling is). Dsmash OoS is guaranteed on any blocked getup attack and 22 damage when fresh is also very nice. Now there is a reason to use it.

Utilt wind doing damage is a pretty nice vs. Sheik and Olimar for the reasons listed in the OP. It certainly doesn't make him as helpless or terrible vs. those two as before.

Dtilt tripping is a very big thing with a lot of potential. Dtilt can either combo into jab/standing grab or you can follow it up with something much bigger with a good read. Are you saying landing a flame choke (on characters where flame choke > Dtilt is a combo) or a standalone Dtilt is so infrequent that it doesn't help Ganon? I don't see how Ganon has no way to use two of his best attacks...

When you do land that grab through either good reads, a rare shieldgrab, or a well spaced pivot grab his options are much better and more rewarding. Bthrow and Uthrow can kill much earlier. Dthrow has much more followup potential and his pummel does much more damage. Even though his shield grab is garbage you can't say his grab game isn't better or that these changes aren't helpful.

I understand your point on not directly addressing his core problems. If it was up to me I would have made his grab have double its reach and made the quake at least two or three times its size to give it some use as an OoS option for cross ups. I would have also given him a jab with much less lag too but just because you don't see those kinds of changes doesn't mean he is still a terrible character. Not to be mean or anything but until you have tried him for yourself and really explored all of the changes, saying he isn't viable or that the game as a whole isn't balanced a very weak statement.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's nice stuff and all, but Ganondorf's main fundamental problem is the inability to reliably threaten people who shield without getting punished. Or besides that, the inability to easily punish certain well spaced attacks out of shield. Solve one of those problems, there will be no complaints.

Until one of those problems gets fixed, in high level play, you will still get camped against a lot, and a smart player will leave very few openings for you to capitalize on. That is one thing that sorta takes away from the fun of using Ganondorf. Vs Marth is still an incredibly lame matchup for example since all of Ganon's buffs don't really come into play as much as they should since most of the time you're baiting him so you can land DA.

Or heck, the one other thing that would make me happy is SA/invul frames on startup of Flame Choke.

That being said, planking with Up-B, as risky as it is, is very fun stuff.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Until one of those problems gets fixed, in high level play, you will still get camped against a lot, and a smart player will leave very few openings for you to capitalize on. That is one thing that sorta takes away from the fun of using Ganondorf. Vs Marth is still an incredibly lame matchup for example since all of Ganon's buffs don't really come into play as much as they should since most of the time you're baiting him so you can land DA.
The whole point with playing Ganondorf is that he does more with a few mistakes then most characters do with 10, even adding on Ganondorf's curse of laggy attacks. Even the best characters make mistakes, and it's what you actually need to think about when discussing Ganondorf in play or his match ups. If I make a few mistakes and get a lot of my laggy attacks punished, I can deal a lot of punishment with a few attacks because someone made a couple mistakes. BBrawl enhaces that to where it's plain ridiculous. Instead of getting a few hits off and getting a good deal of damage, I can get a god d*mn stock.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
That's nice stuff and all, but Ganondorf's main fundamental problem is the inability to reliably threaten people who shield without getting punished. Or besides that, the inability to easily punish certain well spaced attacks out of shield. Solve one of those problems, there will be no complaints.

Or heck, the one other thing that would make me happy is SA/invul frames on startup of Flame Choke.

That being said, planking with Up-B, as risky as it is, is very fun stuff.
My main point was that Ganon is much better than he used to be. He still has some big holes in his gameplay but Ganon can capitalize on a mistake so much better than anyone else that it somehow balances out that weakness imo.

In high levels of play many characters get camped and are left with very few openings. Heavyweights in general are also prone to getting camped. Punishing well spaced aerials is something most of the cast has problems with. Punishing Marth's or Jigglypuff's Fair OoS just isn't going to happen if they space well for the majority of characters in the game. It isn't really that much of a problem considering the fact that dash attack and Dtilt OoS are very capable of punishing a lot of other attacks. Some attacks like Fox's Dair can be footstooled which leads to free aerial wizkicks. I personally don't think Ganon is that bad OoS aside from his lack of a real shield grab.

If you want to be safe on block/threaten shields you can AC Bair, AC tipman, Usmash, cross up dash attack, or do some kind of grab (side b, up b, pivot grab, etc.). If the problems is blocking on reaction being safe and a good strategy then those moves solve that problem. If they aren't blocking on reaction to your moves then there really isn't that much of a problem. They can't block forever after all and baiting is a pretty big part of Ganon's game. Not that many attacks can reliably threaten shields from somewhat close so you could apply that problem to other characters as well.

Marth is definitely one of ganon's worst matchups now but it is better than it used to be. His up b OoS is much less appealing because if he screws up he gets an aerial wickick > Fsmash to the face (it is also unsafe on hit until Ganon is past like 40% with good DI). His side b can be punished on block with the new and improved Dsmash or a Dtilt that trips. Using wizkick to punish air dodges is much more effective. Dark dive can beat some of his ledge options punish him severely for using the wrong one. Side b > Dtilt can work if he tries to attack or roll inwards. If they focus on escaping it with the other two options then they become much more predictable. I still think he easily counters Ganon but I think it isn't worse than 70:30.

Personally I miss his side b going through projectiles like it did in Melee. SA would probably be a better fit though since that would work in any matchup. I'm not sure if they can actually add that stuff in though.

TP

Smash Master
Salty, though I disagree with your above post, I loled at the way you wrote it. :colorful:

Don't judge BBrawl Ganon until you send someone to their depths with Dark Dive. It is one of the most satisfying things I have done with Ganon as of late.

They can't even tech on the wall half of the time when you're recovering because of the angle it sends them at. They don't even hit the wall. Seriously, edgeguarding Ganon now is still somewhat easy, but if you barely mess up, you are dead.
I'd like to point out that I was playing Thinkaman in a Ganon ditto yesterday (offline) and I was holding the ledge and he grabbed me with Dark Dive. I managed to tech wall jump off of the very bottom of the side of FD, came back and hit him with a Dark Dive, and killed him. THAT was the most satisfying thing I have done with Ganon as of late.

If any of you have not tried BBrawl yet, you should. You don't even need Homebrew. All you need is an SD card and SD card reader.

In November, there is going to be a large BBrawl tourney in St. Louis. M2K posted, saying there was at least a 50% chance of him coming, though he is not sure yet. If he does come, I'm gonna MM him and get it recorded. ^_^

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
If any of you have not tried BBrawl yet, you should. You don't even need Homebrew. All you need is an SD card and SD card reader.
This, this, this.

I really need to start promoting BBrawl as much as I can where I am. I might come back to vBrawl with a lot of the stuff I've been using in BBrawl, but for right now I'm seriously liking BBrawl. I like people not having ridiculous amounts of guaranteed reward off of 7 frame grabs. Especially when it's very hard for Ganon to avoid grabs. I also like ridiculous damage off of tech chasing :D.

TP

Smash Master
I think that, for now at least, Europe still needs to do it through Homebrew. I'll ask Thinkaman about it when I see him tonight.

Yes Swoops, start promoting BBrawl. I don't have to, since it was created right here in St. Louis. :)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Yea, pretty sure Europe still needs homebrew, which sucks. But here in the states, TOs only need one SD card with a bonafide copy of BBrawl on it. Seeing as you can go around with a single SD card, load BBrawl up on one wii, then take it to the next etc. etc.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
So I actually need homebrew then to have it work...
=/ stupid little brother and his 'I don't use this or know what it is so I'm going to delete it' mentality =[
it was a rented twilight princess too:(

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So I actually need homebrew then to have it work...
=/ stupid little brother and his 'I don't use this or know what it is so I'm going to delete it' mentality =[
it was a rented twilight princess too:(
Que? If you don't live in Europe, you don't need homebrew :p

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
BBrawl looks good. I never tried it, but I liked a lot the fact that the Ganon's Up-B Uppercut does 18% and it has a great knockback.

The only thing that I didn't like is the fact that Aerial Wizkick has the same attibutes of DK's Side-B. Honestly, it's very weird IMO.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I just want to warn you guys that TP suddenly got a *lot* better. Between that and BBrawl, the number of characters I can beat his Ganon with consistently I could probably count on only one hand. Friday night his wins were putting forth a strong argument for both his skill and BBrawl Ganon.

I won the last Ganon ditto though! :) Our murderous duel in that department continues...

BBrawl looks good. I never tried it, but I liked a lot the fact that the Ganon's Up-B Uppercut does 18% and it has a great knockback.

The only thing that I didn't like is the fact that Aerial Wizkick has the same attibutes of DK's Side-B. Honestly, it's very weird IMO.
The main way this fits into Ganon's game is harshly punishing predictions out of Flame Choke and d-tilt, as well as footstools. I got one footstool down-b f-smash last night OoS, it was great.

TP

Smash Master
A few notes:

1) As Thinkaman said, I have improved a ton since I stopped playing regularly. As soon as I found out how the **** that happened, I'll let you guys know :laugh:.

2) Thinkaman and I are DEAD EVEN in Ganon dittos. He was able to consistently 2 stock me with Ganon (and 3 stock with other chars, and nearly JV4 with his Jiggs) a couple months ago. I plan on challenging him to a 10-stock ditto and having it put up on youtube, lol.

3) If you plan on becoming amazing at BBrawl, as I intend to do, it means a lot of hard work. I need to spend a few hours looking at all the trip rolls and trip getup attacks so I can integrate the Dtilt into my choke game more. Currently, I'm forced to respond by prediction because I don't know the animations. Once I am able to do it on reaction, chainchoking should be EASIER and MORE DAMAGING than before. (More damaging because Dtilt means about 20% for every choke.)

4) Dealing 25% for every grab is lovely.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
The main way this fits into Ganon's game is harshly punishing predictions out of Flame Choke and d-tilt, as well as footstools. I got one footstool down-b f-smash last night OoS, it was great.
I never tried BBrawl cause I'm playing Brawl+ today.
The Combo: Footstool -> Down-B -> Fsmash looks nice.

I think BBrawl Down-B is being very weird. Man... I know, perform an Aerial Wizkick -> Fsmash should be an Orgasm, but I think Down-B shouldn't ground.

Well... For those Ganon mainers who plays BBrawl now, I wish luck to you.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
3) If you plan on becoming amazing at BBrawl, as I intend to do, it means a lot of hard work. I need to spend a few hours looking at all the trip rolls and trip getup attacks so I can integrate the Dtilt into my choke game more. Currently, I'm forced to respond by prediction because I don't know the animations. Once I am able to do it on reaction, chainchoking should be EASIER and MORE DAMAGING than before. (More damaging because Dtilt means about 20% for every choke.)

4) Dealing 25% for every grab is lovely.

I've been working on it a lot. With some characters, make sure you buffer in a forward dash before a choke, because their out roll goes so **** far. Mario, MK, D3 and a couple others you need to buffer the dash. Ivy, Zelda, and Ike can't get hit by choke when they out roll. But overall choking is a lot easier due to the fact that 3/4 of your opponent's buffer get up options get choked.

Basically, if they do anything other than back roll...choke forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59l4CpdPk0

Check out around 3:09...I love BBrawl.

Top Bottom