• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So it looks like in this trailer, she had 475 HP (before using Heat Wave) and 210 SP compared to Joker's 505/271 and Mona's 414/266. So there's that

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok so there was heat wave in pesrona 4,. but nothing of it in persona 5. Still weird that it'd be physical in any case.

Not saying it's not the case, because i could easily just not know or remember it, but still weird.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well alrighty. Fire and Ice are already covered by other team members anyway. So i guess that's a good thing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anyway, I think this Persona still keeps Kasumi in the running. It's form is still human like in form, so it can pull the same stuff Arsène did in physical attacks. It has no wings, but the things on it's back could be used as a replacement. And even then, the up B could be changed, as Chrom has previously demonstrated.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
never has made much sense, but it's mostly a visual thing anyway. it's always just been medium physical damage.
I though Heat Wave was the heavy raw damage multi target physical in P5 (Vorpal Blade and Gigantomachia hitting hard)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyway, i think this Persona still keeps Kasumi in the running. It's form is still human like in form, so it can pull the same stuff Arsène did in physical attacks. It has no wings, but the things on it's back could be used as a replacement. And even then, the up B could be changed, as Chrom has previously demonstrated.
It's too bad it didn't fit to a T for smash. I still really liket the persona tho ;)

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
interestingly, the start of the trailer also emphasizes kasumi's kicks (all of smash joker's non-weapon moves), and shows her throwing up the sword and spinning it

i do wonder how much joker's moveset was meant to represent them both at once if she's still planned

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's too bad it didn't fit to a T for smash. I still really liket the persona tho ;)
Yeah, then things would have been rather easy.
interestingly, the start of the trailer also emphasizes kasumi's kicks (all of smash joker's non-weapon moves), and shows her throwing up the sword and spinning it

i do wonder how much joker's moveset was meant to represent them both at once if she's still planned
I noticed that as well. Her Persona seems built to kick people.

I find it interesting that her Persona doe snot seem to be based off of a criminal of some kind, but rather a retelling of Cinderella.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

You're right, that is very interesting

Think we could see anything Kasumi for Smash related at E3?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
You're right, that is very interesting

Think we could see anything Kasumi for Smash related at E3?
ehh, very unlikely

if she happens, she happens in late october/november when royal hits japan and marketing is starting up for its early 2020 western release (ala corrin in december 2015)

given the mostly-finished state of her model, my feeling is that she was being worked on during challenger pack 1's development block and is now being kept on the backburner until she's promotionally relevant for atlus

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
ehh, very unlikely

if she happens, she happens in late october/november when royal hits japan and marketing is starting up for its early 2020 western release (ala corrin in december 2015)

given the mostly-finished state of her model, my feeling is that she was being worked on during challenger pack 1's development block and is now being kept on the backburner until she's promotionally relevant for atlus
That makes sense. At least we have more Kasumi content to speculate over

I'm so excited for P5R

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
observation: kasumi's persona has the same style of legs as arsene

1559825227004.png
1559824331978.png

make of this what you will

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Almost reminds me of skating shoes. Whatever way someone decides to take this, this showcases that there is certainly connecting elements to the Personas. And considering how prevalent Arsène kicking attacks are in Smash...
is kinda funny how basically all joker's non-dagger moves are kicks and that's sort of also kasumi's thing

Nice. What about the arms? :p
arms seem pretty normal

1559836054373.png
1559836114113.png

they don't have arsene's claws, but they are at least the same proportion

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
is kinda funny how basically all joker's non-dagger moves are kicks and that's sort of also kasumi's thing
Yeah, I am getting major Simon and Richter vibes here.
arms seem pretty normal

they don't have arsene's claws, but they are at least the same proportion
And that is what's most important. The fact that her Persona seems to fit the same frame as Arsène is very good for us.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
it also helps that the claws are never really used that much - arsene is usually just flexing in the back and doing elemental stuff

1559836390470.png

the closest you get is upsmash

1559836425371.png

D

Deleted member

Having seen the trailer already, I do think that she can work as an echo for Joker too.

Just the minor changes suggested by Tamm and Panda might have to be done, but it’s not a problem due to cases like Ken where they made tweaks to the character while still feeling like an echo.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Looked through TV Tropes again and I saw some interesting points when it came to Kasumi's character bio on the site.
  • "Aloof Ally: Promotional material for Royal states that Kasumi doesn't particularly agree with the Phantom Thieves' motives, only joining them for her own personal agenda as well as her admiration for Joker. This even extends to her Persona, as while the story of Cinderella is about oppression and injustice and rising above it, Cendrillon herself is not a thief. Even her rebellious spirit is at odds with the Phantom Thieves."
  • "Helping Would Be Killstealing: According to her reveal trailer, one of the reasons she disagrees with the Phantom Thieves is because she feels them helping people in such a manner actually defeats their self-stated purpose of helping people stand up for themselves. She believes that "the only one that can help you is you." This belief turns out to be a personal matter for Kasumi, as she feels as though she has been helped throughout her whole life."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looked through TV Tropes again and I saw some interesting points when it came to Kasumi's character bio.
  • "Aloof Ally: Promotional material for Royal states that Kasumi doesn't particularly agree with the Phantom Thieves' motives, only joining them for her own personal agenda as well as her admiration for Joker. This even extends to her Persona, as while the story of Cinderella is about oppression and injustice and rising above it, Cendrillon herself is not a thief. Even her rebellious spirit is at odds with the Phantom Thieves."
  • "Helping Would Be Killstealing: According to her reveal trailer, one of the reasons she disagrees with the Phantom Thieves is because she feels them helping people in such a manner actually defeats their self-stated purpose of helping people stand up for themselves. She believes that "the only one that can help you is you." This belief turns out to be a personal matter for Kasumi, as she feels as though she has been helped throughout her whole life."
I do relate with her on some regards.

Yes, I feel that sometimes you basically count just with yourself with certain problems and I do find myself at times on the Smash community supporting some characters just because of someone I admire who is doing so (like Geno or Spyro in general).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Looked through TV Tropes again and I saw some interesting points when it came to Kasumi's character bio on the site.
when you can feel the tragic backstory about to hit

1559848517474.png

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
And for the up smash they could change it to a slap or punch without much change to the move.
It also helps that just about every single attack by Arsene (except Nair, Jab, and Ftilt) uses the same heavy hit sounds used by some of Ganondorf's and Incineroar's attacks

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Honestly, aside from Wings of Rebellion (and possibly Eiha), they really don't need to change any of the moves. And even then they don't have to change the actual moves if they change the aesthetics. Given her acrobatic/athletic inclination and the ballet/dancer theme, they could easily just remove the wings and pass the move off as a graceful leap (and of course rename it.) I suppose it would help to change the animation a little bit, but every other move would be fine untouched. Well, maybe also give her a unique pose for Rebel's Guard to let a bit of her own personality shine through and help differentiate her.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
(and possibly Eiha)
If her element really is fire, replace Eiha and Eigaon with Agi and Agidyne respectively, the poison effect now becomes burning, bada bing, bada boom.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If her element really is fire, replace Eiha and Eigaon with Agi and Agidyne respectively, the poison effect now becomes burning, bada bing, bada boom.
We still don't have an element since all we know about her abilities is that she has Heat Wave as one of her skills, her SP was always around half that of her HP, and she got over 300 damage off a crit Heat Wave (enough to wipe out half that enemy's health). For all we know, she probably could be taking over as the Curse skill user if Akechi ends up losing his Curse skills to become the main user of Bless skills (I can see both using the Megido spells). I'm still betting on my guess that she is a physical attacker focused on getting Crits via Apt Pupil and Rebellion/Revolution.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
since akechi seems to be staying in his second costume when he rejoins the party, i wouldn't be surprised if kasumi used bless skills (it seems more in line with get persona's colour scheme)

not sure if those have precedent to act as DOTs tho

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
since akechi seems to be staying in his second costume when he rejoins the party, i wouldn't be surprised if kasumi used bless skills (it seems more in line with get persona's colour scheme)

not sure if those have precedent to act as DOTs tho
Yeah, bless seems to fit Cendrillon more than curse on the thematic side. But yeah, how would that transition to Smash? Aura?

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
yeah, bless seems to fit Cendrillon more than curse on the thematic side. But yeah, how would that transition to Smash? Aura?
I mean the closest things I've seen to light damage was either Aura Damage or Electric Damage

Top Bottom