• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Phantom Thief of Persona 5 The Royal - Kasumi Yoshizawa/"Jane"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, definitely. I imagine she'll probably be opening up a cafe of some sort, then perhaps the cafe suddenly becomes very successful...

Interesting idea! It sounds a lot like how you get Union Skills in Persona Q2, actually, though with straight-dialogue instead of mini-battle-map quests that are "special screenings" in Q2. It's definitely a cool idea and could explain the "yes/no" confidant comment. It'd also be kinda funny if it's letting the player getting to witness external supports, which is very Fire-Emblem-y, right as Fire Emblem is copying Persona's homework.

I wouldn't get too hyped for it, but I definitely think its a solid premise with decent odds.
I heard about those. There is definitely similarities in those and the idea, and I don't even think about how that would answer the yes/no comment. Yes because it's pretty much follows a similar logic to the confidants, but no because it has no involvement from Joker. And, yeah, I am getting some major Fire Emblem vibes from this. If getting these scenes involve increasing bond through having them on the same team in battle, memes are going to happen.
To be blunt, I'm not interested. ATLUS is rarely good at writing romance and trying to write it for all team member combinations will probably end like Fates Supports. I rather have Royal giving us quality friendship interaction, I can always do the shipping myself later.

And I think it's very unlikely, there's nothing that indicates these are longer than one scene per pair or romantic in nature.
I doubt they would do all of the combinations, and even then, only a potion would probably have the opportunity for romance. I would also doubt the romances would become major focal points either, as that wasn't even the case with Joker's romances. I just think the option would be nice, and it really would just be an option.

True, but it's not like there is anything preventing such, and the whole yes/no confidant question could be a hint towards this. Romance really is just the natural extreme if these really are party confidants.

Funny how FE was once again brought up.

amageish

Smash Master
I heard about those. There is definitely similarities in those and the idea, and I don't even think about how that would answer the yes/no comment. Yes because it's pretty much follows a similar logic to the confidants, but no because it has no involvement from Joker. And, yeah, I am getting some major Fire Emblem vibes from this. If getting these scenes involve increasing bond through having them on the same team in battle, memes are going to happen.

I doubt they would do all of the combinations, and even then, only a potion would probably have the opportunity for romance. I would also doubt the romances would become major focal points either, as that wasn't even the case with Joker's romances. I just think the option would be nice, and it really would just be an option.

True, but it's not like there is anything preventing such, and the whole yes/no confidant question could be a hint towards this. Romance really is just the natural extreme if these really are party confidants.

Funny how FE was once again brought up.
To be blunt, I'm not interested. ATLUS is rarely good at writing romance and trying to write it for all team member combinations will probably end like Fates Supports. I rather have Royal giving us quality friendship interaction, I can always do the shipping myself later.

And I think it's very unlikely, there's nothing that indicates these are longer than one scene per pair or romantic in nature.
Responding to two people at once: I don't know if they would have to be romantic either. The core notion of inter-party non-Joker confidants to unlock unison attacks is cool enough IMHO. It'd also add what myself and a lot of others have said was missing from P5: Phantom Thieves being friends when not panicking about justice. I feel like that is pretty likely and pretty cool on its own.

I don't think in P5 is near the level of Naoto and Kanji having to remain as just a flirtationship in P4 and all spin-offs to keep all the options open. I've heard people try to argue about canon/implied couples in P5, but I feel like most of the possibilities have had brief moments of fanservice.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Responding to two people at once: I don't know if they would have to be romantic either. The core notion of inter-party non-Joker confidants to unlock unison attacks is cool enough IMHO. It'd also add what myself and a lot of others have said was missing from P5: Phantom Thieves being friends when not panicking about justice. I feel like that is pretty likely and pretty cool on its own.

I don't think in P5 is near the level of Naoto and Kanji having to remain as just a flirtationship in P4 and all spin-offs to keep all the options open. I've heard people try to argue about canon/implied couples in P5, but I feel like most of the possibilities have had brief moments of fanservice.
Sorry if I focused a little too hardly on the romance element, it's just that I can kinda a bit of shipping trash at times. I would just really like the chance for more in depth party member interactions through a continuation of the confidant system, with romance just being a natural extreme of this fact. The friendship element that is being added can not be understated, both in what we are discussing and the possibility of expansions on special events like the beach trip and Hawaii. Hopefully they can just hang out in Hawaii without being so worried about their Phantom Thief business.

Yeah, no, there is no Kanji/Naoto level of tension here. There is certainly moments between characters and attractions, but nothing quite near an extreme level. That fact doesn't necessarily make the possibility of expanding to romances any less or more likely, but it's true none the less.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry if I focused a little too hardly on the romance element, it's just that I can kinda a bit of shipping trash at times. I would just really like the chance for more in depth party member interactions through a continuation of the confidant system, with romance just being a natural extreme of this fact. The friendship element that is being added can not be understated, both in what we are discussing and the possibility of expansions on special events like the beach trip and Hawaii. Hopefully they can just hang out in Hawaii without being so worried about their Phantom Thief business.

Yeah, no, there is no Kanji/Naoto level of tension here. There is certainly moments between characters and attractions, but nothing quite near an extreme level. That fact doesn't necessarily make the possibility of expanding to romances any less or more likely, but it's true none the less.
Eh, it's fine. I definitely would like more interactions, though romance would be take it or leave it for me. I'd use it if it was in the game, but my shipping for P5 is pretty free-for-all anyway so I don't know what pairs I'd go for.... And yeah, even if we don't get new mini-confidants, hopefully Hawaii and Destinyland can be expanded for some fun.

Definitely. There were quite a few pairs with brief flirting moments, but nothing that makes me feel "Oh, well they have to be together."

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Eh, it's fine. I definitely would like more interactions, though romance would be take it or leave it for me. I'd use it if it was in the game, but my shipping for P5 is pretty free-for-all anyway so I don't know what pairs I'd go for.... And yeah, even if we don't get new mini-confidants, hopefully Hawaii and Destinyland can be expanded for some fun.

Definitely. There were quite a few pairs with brief flirting moments, but nothing that makes me feel "Oh, well they have to be together."
Hey, the benefit of it being a free for all where there is no clear pairings is that there is no Chrom/Sumia conundrum. And I didn't even think about the potential in Destinyland. That trip amounted to a single shot.

I think the only one where there is 100% a clear crush is Morgana's feelings for Ann, and I don't see that happening for obvious reasons("This is not Sonic next gen!"). Might be an interesting idea to have him actually confess to it, as that could lead to some good character growth even if he destined to be rejected.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
W h e r e H a s T h i s B e e n?

Could you add me to the support list? I'd love to see Kasumi in the game, but it's pretty clear that she won't be a fighter any time soon. I'm just here to discuss P5Royal.
Added you the moment you liked the first post. And yes, this is where most of P5R discussion is happening on Smashboards. As for her being a fighter, you may be surprised. Have you looked at the speculation in the previous pages? There's a reason this thread is 19 pages long.

amageish

Smash Master
Hey, the benefit of it being a free for all where there is no clear pairings is that there is no Chrom/Sumia conundrum. And I didn't even think about the potential in Destinyland. That trip amounted to a single shot.

I think the only one where there is 100% a clear crush is Morgana's feelings for Ann, and I don't see that happening for obvious reasons("This is not Sonic next gen!"). Might be an interesting idea to have him actually confess to it, as that could lead to some good character growth even if he destined to be rejected.
Yeah, true. And Destinyland's wasted potential is my second-least favourite thing about P5. I was hoping for some rides, or maybe something like P4's drinking game. Something fun and interactive. Not just plot exposition and a castle.

True. I didn't really consider Morgana in the shipping due to having the physical form of a cat. I'd bet on him not confessing, but probably realizing that being human isn't right for him, in spite of Ann, and being the first to fight the wish-granter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, true. And Destinyland's wasted potential is my second-least favourite thing about P5. I was hoping for some rides, or maybe something like P4's drinking game. Something fun and interactive. Not just plot exposition and a castle.

True. I didn't really consider Morgana in the shipping due to having the physical form of a cat. I'd bet on him not confessing, but probably realizing that being human isn't right for him, in spite of Ann, and being the first to fight the wish-granter.
What was the first? Also, while I doubt it would be repeated, the P5 cast getting caught in a King's Game would be amazing. They can still have the horror afterwards, but let us have more than just sitting around and funny hats.

I imagine that no matter how they do it, there will ve a conclusion to Morgana's crush. It was kinda just there in the original game and was pretty much left hanging by the end because of more important things in the plot happening.

amageish

Smash Master
What was the first? Also, while I doubt it would be repeated, the P5 cast getting caught in a King's Game would be amazing. They can still have the horror afterwards, but let us have more than just sitting around and funny hats.

I imagine that no matter how they do it, there will ve a conclusion to Morgana's crush. It was kinda just there in the original game and was pretty much left hanging by the end because of more important things in the plot happening.
My least favourite is the existence of the creeps who follow Ryuji around. Yeah, I don't want an exact King's Game reprise, but something interactive and goofy would have been nice. It would still have tensions as we know what is coming, but would allow for some fun in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I definitely think it'll have have resolution in some form as well, though P5DSN suggests the crush will at least remain nominally. Kinda odd that they did a spin-off that takes place after the game before P5R comes out....

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My least favourite is the existence of the creeps who follow Ryuji around. Yeah, I don't want an exact King's Game reprise, but something interactive and goofy would have been nice. It would still have tensions as we know what is coming, but would allow for some fun in the Happiest Place on Earth.

I definitely think it'll have have resolution in some form as well, though P5DSN suggests the crush will at least remain nominally. Kinda odd that they did a spin-off that takes place after the game before P5R comes out....
Oh, I can see why that would be your first. Interesting thing for me to note, not too long ago I was rooming with a family member(Being vague because privacy) andhis roomates for a few days, and one of them reached the first time you met those guys(My family member had already beat the game). To my shock, both my family member and the guy playing found it funny, and that is with my family member being gay. I didn't pry about there thoughts, but that is the sort of moment where you wonder about different perspectives. All of them are chill and kind guys, so I imagine they didn't take the moment too seriously.

They could pull a "That was the base game continuity, not the P5R continuity."

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, I can see why that would be your first. Interesting thing for me to note, not too long ago I was rooming with a family member(Being vague because privacy) andhis roomates for a few days, and one of them reached the first time you met those guys(My family member had already beat the game). To my shock, both my family member and the guy playing found it funny, and that is with my family member being gay. I didn't pry about there thoughts, but that is the sort of moment where you wonder about different perspectives. All of them are chill and kind guys, so I imagine they didn't take the moment too seriously.

They could pull a "That was the base game continuity, not the P5R continuity."
Interesting! Yeah, different people have different standards. I mostly am just disappointed in how ATLUS is regularly 1 step forwards 2 step backs with this sort of thing.

That they could, though P4 spin-offs interestingly tended to ignore P4G and make Golden stuff DLC. Heck, P4DAN even had the outfits from Golden as free DLC instead of making it part of the base game.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Interesting! Yeah, different people have different standards. I mostly am just disappointed in how ATLUS is regularly 1 step forwards 2 step backs with this sort of thing.

That they could, though P4 spin-offs interestingly tended to ignore P4G and make Golden stuff DLC. Heck, P4DAN even had the outfits from Golden as free DLC instead of making it part of the base game.
Maybe that's because P4G was not exactly a game that everyone liked changes wise, specifically in regard to Marie. The fact that Royal also seems to have more plot expansion than even that game makes me wonder if they will change the trend.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe that's because P4G was not exactly a game that everyone liked changes wise, specifically in regard to Marie. The fact that Royal also seems to have more plot expansion than even that game makes me wonder if they will change the trend.
I doubt that's the reason. Marie is super popular in Japan and ATLUS tends to favor their local fans.

A more plausible explanation is Golden being completely optional. Not everybody played it and they don't have to.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, have we ever really speculated how Kasumi would interact with Phantom Thieves that are not Joker or Akechi? We haven't seen too much of her interacting with the others, so I think it's worth bringing up possibilities.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just realized, have we ever really speculated how Kasumi would interact with Phantom Thieves that are not Joker or Akechi? We haven't seen too much of her interacting with the others, so I think it's worth bringing up possibilities.
I feel like we can see her interacting with Morgana, particularly in the plot-heavy parts.

Aside from that... it's hard to say, it's not like we saw much of her. I think she'll get along with girls and might find Yusuke (plus bonding over constantly being hungry) amusing, but that's it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's almost that time again.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Weird how I totally didn't realize that we would get Futaba trailer before Haru. I must have been accidentally blanking hard.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's almost that time again.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Weird how I totally didn't realize that we would get Futaba trailer before Haru. I must have been accidentally blanking hard.
Futaba has always been one of my favorite characters in P5. Excited to see what we get from this trailer.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Futaba has always been one of my favorite characters in P5. Excited to see what we get from this trailer.
Same.

With this trailer though, I am wondering what they could show off that would be new. We for sure know what her wish is, and I am not entirely sure if she can have a team up attack with the others due to her nature as a Navigator. We have seen that she has an all out attack of sorts, but no sign of her teaming up with others.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Same.

With this trailer though, I am wondering what they could show off that would be new. We for sure know what her wish is, and I am not entirely sure if she can have a team up attack with the others due to her nature as a Navigator. We have seen that she has an all out attack of sorts, but no sign of her teaming up with others.
We'll probably just get some story stuff and maybe a look at her All Out Attack.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wild prediction time, I think the Futaba trailer may showcase her third tier. I don't have any real evidence to claim this on, but I think it may be possible as a way to get more highlights into her trailer(If she is lacking things like a team up attack).

Edit:
Called the third tier. Went from a classic spacecraft to a modern one, fitting the theme of the other third tiers.

Her All Out Attack is great, though I wonder how it's triggered.

A surprising amount of Kasumi when you consider her absence in all of the other character trailers that are not her own.

A distinct lack of Wakaba. Obviously she's still the wish(As no other wish was shown in trailer), I just find her absence weird. Perhaps she is mentioned in dialogue?

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Wild prediction time, I think the Futaba trailer may showcase her third tier. I don't have any real evidence to claim this on, but I think it may be possible as a way to get more highlights into her trailer(If she is lacking things like a team up attack).

Edit:
Called the third tier. Went from a classic spacecraft to a modern one, fitting the theme of rhe other third tiers.

Her All Out Attack is great, though I wonder how it's triggered.

A surprising amount kf Kasumi when you consider her absence in all of the other character trailers that are not her own.

A distinct lack of Wakaba. Obviously she's still the wish(As no other wizh was shown in trailer), I just find her absence weird. Perhaps she is mentioned in dialogue?
Well **** I got something right for once.

Anyway, seems like that Kasumi interaction we were discussing also came in to play here... We didn't get much though. Her All Out Attack also seems very interesting. It appears to add additional damage to already existing All Out Attacks. We didn't get any wishes, which is pretty interesting, but I think we all know what it is anyway.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
looks like we might have every character trailer out by the date of the august announcement

which makes me doubly curious as to what it is

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well **** I got something right for once.

Anyway, seems like that Kasumi interaction we were discussing also came in to play here... We didn't get much though. Her All Out Attack also seems very interesting. It appears to add additional damage to already existing All Out Attacks. We didn't get any wishes, which is pretty interesting, but I think we all know what it is anyway.
For the Kasumi and end scene's, I am looking forward to getting some subs. I am curious what Futaba's interaction with Kasumi is like(Futaba doesn't seem too happy) and what that final scene has that is of relevance.
looks like we might have every character trailer out by the date of the august announcement

If all that is left is Haru, then definitely. If they add an Akechi and/or Morgana trailer, all of the trailers will very likely still come before the announcement. There is plenty of time.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Morgana mode. Everyone and everything is now Morgana.

Edit: The trailer has been translated.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Got a subs video.
Edit: Edit :ultgreninja:'d
The Kasumi scene at the beginning appears to be a rather confused introduction. I am guessing the context of the scene is similar to when Akechi first went to Leblanc, only with a lot less contempt. As for the last scene, it's just her talking about Sojiro and how much she cherishes him. While it may not be directly related to the wish, this feels forshadowy.

Now that I think about it, do you think we will ever get official English versions of these trailers? We got one for the main trailer after all.[/spoiler]

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Got a subs video.
The Kasumi scene at the beginning appears to be a rather confused introduction. I am guessing the context of the scene is similar to when Akechi first went to Leblanc, only with a lot less contempt. As for the last scene, it's just her talking about Sojiro and how much she cherishes him. While it may not be directly related to the wish, this feels forshadowy.

Now that I think about it, do you think we will ever get official English versions of these trailers? We got one for the main trailer after all.
Haha! Beat ya to it, nerd! Nah I'm kidding.

Anyway, as far as this translation goes, there doesn't seem to be anything too interesting. And I do think we will be getting English versions of the trailers, but probably some time closer to release.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Haha! Beat ya to it, nerd! Nah I'm kidding.

Anyway, as far as this translation goes, there doesn't seem to be anything too interesting. And I do think we will be getting English versions of the trailers, but probably some time closer to release.
Hey, I acknowledged you :ultgreninja:'d me before you posted this, so I beat you to that.

And yeah, there isn't much. I am glad that Kasumi is appearing again. Wish I understood Japanese culture better though, as the whole honorifics thing is going completely over my head.

Any guesses as to what Futaba's new Persona is?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
it seems extremely noteworthy that kasumi is only being introduced to stuff like yusuke's quirks on new year's day

i wonder how late she actually joins because god damn

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Hey, I acknowledged you :ultgreninja:'d me before you posted this, so I beat you to that.
Well consider me :ultgreninja:‘d then.

And yeah, there isn't much. I am glad that Kasumi is appearing again. Wish I understood Japanese culture better though, as the whole honorifics thing is going completely over my head.

Any guesses as to what Futaba's new Persona is?
An honorific is a title that implies a high status. It’s probable that Futaba called Kasumi “senpai” or something like that to try to be polite to Kasumi, but it seems that there was an error when translating. As for her new Persona, I think it might be a Pyramid UFO.
E70E1E6C-373E-480B-90C0-E4EDD7931A0A.jpeg
This seems to fit with the Egyptian theme of Futaba’s palace as well.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
it seems extremely noteworthy that kasumi is only being introduced to stuff like yusuke's quirks on new year's day

i wonder how late she actually joins because god damn
I didn't even realize that! We know she's playable during the Casino, but clearly she doesn't stick around if she know's that little about Yusuke.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I didn't even realize that! We know she's playable during the Casino, but clearly she doesn't stick around if she know's that little about Yusuke.
Considering that she doesn’t agree with the Phantom Thieves, it’s possible that she only arrives when she is absolutely needed. Actually, wait. Maybe this is why there is a palace with only Joker, Morgana, and Kasumi. Maybe something happened to the rest of the Phantom Thieves. It’s unlikely, but it’s food for thought.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
honestly it wouldn't surprise me if kasumi's role is actually very limited until the latter parts of the game

gets introduced early on, shows up every now and again, very occasionally builds up the first 5 levels of her confidant through scheduled events (maybe around the times after palaces when people everywhere are buzzing about the thieves to give her own input), but mostly keeps out of any major plot developments until later on

at which point they can give her a big plot moment (her awakening?) which unlocks the next 5 parts of the confidant and gets things speeding along at a much quicker pace for the third semester arc

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering that she doesn’t agree with the Phantom Thieves, it’s possible that she only arrives when she is absolutely needed.
*Joker is catching the attention of the Police for the plan*
Joker: "Okay, now that the others are in the clear, I can purposefully get myself caught without any complic-"
*Kasumi appears out of nowhere*
Kasumi: "Hey Joker! It seems you are in need of help with escaping. Really, it's almost like your trying to get yourself caught!"
Joker: "...S***."
honestly it wouldn't surprise me if kasumi's role is actually very limited until the latter parts of the game

gets introduced early on, shows up every now and again, very occasionally builds up the first 5 levels of her confidant through scheduled events (maybe around the times after palaces when people everywhere are buzzing about the thieves to give her own input), but mostly keeps out of any major plot developments until later on

at which point they can give her a big plot moment (her awakening?) which unlocks the next 5 parts of the confidant and gets things speeding along at a much quicker pace for the third semester arc
That would make sense, but her awakening would need to be before the Casino, which makes this all the more complicated speculation wise. I mean, when is that new Palace we saw in her trailer going to appear date wise?

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
That would make sense, but her awakening would need to be before the Casino, which makes this all the more complicated speculation wise. I mean, when is that new Palace we saw in her trailer going to appear date wise?
Probably after President Okumura’s palace but before Shido’s palace.

amageish

Smash Master
Well.... Uh...

The Casino is not destroyed in P5's main story, so could the cast revisit it for some reason doing the new term?

I originally thought she'd join earlier, but us seeing her awakening in a new palace really makes me believe in the "Phantom Thieves fall apart due to wish distractions; Kasumi joins Joker/Morgana to form a new squad" theory... Her seemingly not meeting the other thieves until the new term just makes that seem more likely to me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well.... Uh...

The Casino is not destroyed in P5's main story, so could the cast revisit it for some reason doing the new term?

I originally thought she'd join earlier, but us seeing her awakening in a new palace really makes me believe in the "Phantom Thieves fall apart due to wish distractions; Kasumi joins Joker/Morgana to form a new squad" theory... Her seemingly not meeting the other thieves until the new term just makes that seem more likely to me.
I always thought it was implied that the Casino ceased to be when Sae changed on her own. I mean, Mishima did something similar.

Yeah, I think that is about the route they are going for.

amageish

Smash Master
I always thought it was implied that the Casino ceased to be when Sae changed on her own. I mean, Mishima did something similar.

Yeah, I think that is about the route they are going for.
Yeah, it is implied, but it isn't stated directly? It is definitely possible to bring it back, at least...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, it is implied, but it isn't stated directly? It is definitely possible to bring it back, at least...
I guess, but that feels like it would break the rules a bit. Her confidant and helping the Phantom Thieves is pretty much doing all the things her shadow would have been against, making the idea the Casino still exists kinda off. Plus, if it was still there, why wouldn't we have the option or even the mention we could go back? I do think the Casino will be expanded on, but not in that way.

Edit:
Haru is coming.

Also gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom