• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-up Chart

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean I'm not saying I could do it

but let's say he plays against predictable people and only parries every other match when he's really sure about it

it sounds like it'd be possible to almost never miss a parry

The Star King

Smash Hero
K so he doesn't parry optimally

doesn't mean his original statement was incorrect
Why are you arguing this?

I know you know that's not what he meant. He stated he never misses parries right before saying he has decided Yoshi is "better than Mario and equal with Captain Falcon". He's clearly implying that the parrying is significant. If he was parrying only things that are 100% guaranteed (and in those situations it's usually better to deal with it with methods other than parrying anyways), then the advantage gained would NOT be significant. If you're parrying in a way to gain a sizable advantage, then yeah, you can't do it with 100% accuracy and me/Sheer/tacos/TANK are right (people who actually play Yoshi, what a coincidence!)

Please discuss his actual meaning, not a technicality.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean, I think what I said was what he meant. Unless he's just straight-up lying in a major way, he has some idea of how parries work, and the fact that he said "I can do it every time" rather than "I can parry everything that's thrown at me and am therefore an unstoppable smash god, move over boom" implies to me that he meant "every time I try it" rather than "every time anyone does a move on me"

prisonchild

Smash Ace
LOL, it is easy to never miss parries. All you have to do is tap z when a move is going to hit you, but that is probably not what you meant.

Let me break it down for you.
All characters have a certain amount of options within a specific situation of play

The overarching goal is to limit your opponent's options with spacing in order to limit uncertainty. You choose you opponent's options for them and parry them as they come.

The next thing to recognize is that a surprisingly high number of approach options are at least semi-telegraphed especially aerials. Your opponent's character's spacing says a lot about what they are going to do next.

The third and perhaps most important thing is frame counting. It helps a TON to find exactly how much a single frame is in real time and commit it to memory. The frame data chart becomes incredibly helpful here because you can count exactly when to parry every move.

It starts out hard, but quickly gets extremely easy. The best way to practice IMO is against CPU's because you are really forced to forget about you opponent's habits and just count frames.
wow. i suck and i'm confident i could beat you. without parrying.

B Link

Smash Lord
I miss sheermadness' lame prince-esque crouch and wait technique with yoshi. Yoshi mains need to start bringing this back into the metagame if they wanna be on par with lame kirbies.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
you aren't a good tactic
exactly, wut

To what was said before, let''s continue crouch walking...and just run into an up tilt eventually.

The only thing I've seen good vs. Kirby is to bait d-airs, b-airs, and u-tilts and punish with b-air or other djc/short hop aerials. What an annoying/bad matchup

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Single tap is pretty darn good, but it when it comes to getting some different drop speed from hitting a shield with a d-air, I usually fall back on the rapid tap. a couple clicks before you hit the ground does the trick since the window is so large.

Top Bottom