• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-up Chart

M!nt

Smash Champion
^ ur falcon is weird.

also samus mains are the best people.

t3h Icy

Smash Master

So umm, this thread is a gajillion years old. There's even a newer one, lol.

But if you guys want to, I don't mind making a fresh thread to do match-up chart stuff again, since most people are awful at these things lol. But if the consensus is to do that, I'd rather make sure we know how we want to do it (stages vs general, increment amounts, etc).

Also, Luigi is terrible vs Kirby. :awesome:
*coug h*

kys

Smash Ace
I dair tech chase into more dairs vs floaties. Don't see many Falcons doing that honestly.
I do this a lot, but I almost always miss the second dair, which in turn causes me to miss the follow up when I do actually hit it.

With the current people who are active on the boards, I don't think revisiting the matchup chart is a good idea at the moment. Yep, I went there.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If you dair them while they're on the ground they pop up a little bit so you dair them back to the ground. Then you tech chase with another dair.

If you're decent at tech chasing it'll lead to several more dairs and or a KO.

Pwns the really light chars like Jiggs that you can't combo well.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
what's the verdict on a link-dk matchup? i thought it would be really bad for me (as link) but it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. even on peach's castle and dream land i was able to use projectiles to space.

it also helps that dk is slow and a huge target.

but yeah, was it just my friend adjusting poorly to the matchup or is not bad for link in general?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Jousuke is the freaking man, that's for sure

no character in 64 is unusable. One of the reasons why it's a great game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
His performance against IBKellenIt is not grounds for his being better than anyone. No offense, IBKellenit.

and looking cool is not the same as being good

Ballin IS (really freaking) good, but I don't think he's gonna beat firo with tertiaries.

The Star King

Smash Hero
maybe "youtube monsters" isn't the right term

people who judge skill off of youtube videos alone without having had played either player

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
His performance against IBKellenIt is not grounds for his being better than anyone. No offense, IBKellenit.

and looking cool is not the same as being good

Ballin IS (really freaking) good, but I don't think he's gonna beat firo with tertiaries.
HAHAHA I got a great laugh out of that with obviously being the friend of Kellen's. But Battlecow is absolutely right that was not an accurate representation. Too funny

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I have gotten to the point with Yoshi where I never miss a parries anymore. After a lot of playing, I have decide that he probably better than Mario and equal with captain falcon.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It is impossible to "never miss parries" unless you have 100% perfect reading which is akin to winning rock-paper-scissors 100% of the time, which is obviously unrealistic. And you'd be the best player in the world if you had that anyways. Or maybe your opponents are super braindead and never mix it up.

Though I agree with better than Mario. Don't agree with tied with Falcon.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
It is impossible to "never miss parries" unless you have 100% perfect reading which is akin to winning rock-paper-scissors 100% of the time, which is obviously unrealistic. And you'd be the best player in the world if you had that anyways. Or maybe your opponents are super braindead and never mix it up.

Though I agree with better than Mario. Don't agree with tied with Falcon.
LOL, it is easy to never miss parries. All you have to do is tap z when a move is going to hit you, but that is probably not what you meant.

Let me break it down for you.
All characters have a certain amount of options within a specific situation of play

The overarching goal is to limit your opponent's options with spacing in order to limit uncertainty. You choose you opponent's options for them and parry them as they come.

The next thing to recognize is that a surprisingly high number of approach options are at least semi-telegraphed especially aerials. Your opponent's character's spacing says a lot about what they are going to do next.

The third and perhaps most important thing is frame counting. It helps a TON to find exactly how much a single frame is in real time and commit it to memory. The frame data chart becomes incredibly helpful here because you can count exactly when to parry every move.

It starts out hard, but quickly gets extremely easy. The best way to practice IMO is against CPU's because you are really forced to forget about you opponent's habits and just count frames.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Haha Yobo...

He knows what parries are and how to parry. No need to explain it to him.

And he's right you can't parry everything. Not possible. No single person on this planet can accurately predict his opponent 100% of the time. Especially when you reach higher levels of play.

You really need to start playing online to get an accurate representation of what high level play is like. All of your views on competitive smash will quickly change.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sheer said it all. Are you gonna tell Sheer how to parry too? The guy who popularized parrying in the US in the first place?

Yobolight, ladies and gentlemen.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean he just said that he never misses parries. AFAIK that's perfectly possible. Parrying 100% of your opponent's moves would be impossible, but if you parry really conservatively/rarely and only when you know you have the read or whatever I can see you pretty much never missing.

Top Bottom