• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Console Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Final Fantasy was done by Square. Gran Turismo is a racing game so there will never be variations between sequels. Tekken is a fighting so there should be more than they do, but it's still not by Sony. Don't criticize blindly; it makes you look foolish.

Everyone that complains does so because Nintendo makes a business off of selling identical sequels. Zelda is a staple to the Nintendo Legacy, like Mario. Both games have the same basic story through-out all the games with minor changes between sequels. Not that there's anything wrong with that, because it does have a market, but they don't like it (I agree).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
plz dont complain about nintendo making sequels that dont do aything DASTICLY new............look at sony.

Isnt Final fantasy at 13(and 3 versions of 13 at that) now? yea and grand tourismo(5 or 6)? tekken=6?

or even worst..........3 halos........that all have the EXACT SAME THING IN THEM.
FF is made by square, as CK said, and all 13 FFs are not on Sony consoles, they start somewhere around 6 or 7 on Sony. I don't know anything about GT or Tekken but from what I've heard Tekken has a good community, so it must be doing something right.

Yes there are 3 Halos but the series is 6 years old and the triology is done. Yes there's a movie and a RTS coming out but Mario has a movie and a RPG so they're even in that department. I'm also sure all 3 Halos are not the same, for example, H1 isn't online. Besides, if they were the same why would the game do so well in sales? It can't be a fluke because it broke records and outsold other good games [like Melee] on more than one occasion.

The point is that Nintendo franchises are decades old and very few of them hardly change [like Pokemon, which is why I hate it now] and the few new games that they do make are almost all Wii'title' games. MS and Sony get away because they have 3rd party support, Nintendo doesn't because they don't.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The Halo movie is all, but dead. No one wants to pick it up and Peter Jackson is so psychotic he may just open fire if they don't.
Come to think of it a lot of video game movies are either hush hush or having problems. There's supposed to be a Metroid, Devil May Cry, Tekken and some other movie coming out but there hasn't been any info about them going around. They must have been canned.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Come to think of it a lot of video game movies are either hush hush or having problems. There's supposed to be a Metroid, Devil May Cry, Tekken and some other movie coming out but there hasn't been any info about them going around. They must have been canned.
The problem with game movies is you have to satisfy so many people to make it even passable. It must satisfy the core audience of the games, the movie goer audience, AND the producers of the game and movie. With Halo's case, MS wanted Jackson to do it while he was still hyped up from the Lord of the Rings debacle (which in hindsight wasn't THAT good) but they forgot that he went bat**** insane and it's really hard for financing to come through for such a large project. In theory, it would be a huge movie, but in practice, it'll be lackluster because we never see Master Chief's face and American movie goer's hate that.

Thus is the problem with Hollywood. What is done for books, games, and foreign/classic movies worked in their respective mediums, but when you take it to modern viewers, you get a horrible response so they have to modern things up.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Happy 2008 everyone. To mark the start of a new year, I thought it might be interesting to list our favorite games of last year. Here's my top 5.

5) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

Not my favorite Zelda by a long shot, but I'm still having alot of fun with it. The touch screen controls are super polished and very revolutionary while the dungeons and bosses make up in pure fun what they lack in challenge.

4) Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii)

I blame this game for why I haven't returned my friend's copy of Phantom Hourglass yet. The gameplay is ridiculously addictive (as long as you own a classic controller) in a "that-five-minutes-just-turned-into-three-hours" kinda way. With a robust single player campaign plus multiplayer and co-op play it's easily the best bang-for your-buck $40 game of the year...

3) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii)

...except for this one. This Wii game is the defintitive version of Resident Evil 4, with all the polish of the Gamecube game and all the bonus content of the PS2 version. But the real star of the show is the Wii controls, which set a new standard for console shooters by adding pixel perfect accuracy thanks to the Wii remote. If you (like me) haven't played earlier versions of this game, you have no excuse not to pick up the Wii Edition.

2) Sin and Punishment (Virtual Console)

Technically, this one came out in Japan way back in 2000 - but as far as North America is concerned this is a new release. With a surealist style that shines through the limits of the N64's graphics, rock solid Starfox 64-esque on rail shooting that's infinitely relayable, and the most confusing story in the history of videogames S&E came oh-so-close to being my game of the year. If only it allowed the use of the Wii-controller I would be in heaven.

1) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

Believe it folks: Prime 3 is the best Metroid game to date, and my personal favorite adventure game ever (even if it is more of an FPS). While I enjoyed the punishing difficulty of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the instantly enjoyable rollercoaster ride of Prime 3's more linear adventure made the Prime fomulae better without sacrificing the epic boss encounters, stunning alien worlds and complex puzzels the series is known for. Best of all, the graphics and smart use of the Wii controls showcased the console in ways no other game I played this year did. I'm sad to see the trilogy end, but I'm thrilled to see it end on such a high note.

(Note: My new year's resolution is to play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Super Mario Galaxy before Brawl takes over my life.)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't have a top 5, out of all the 07 games I can think of I only played one, which was Metroid Prime Corruption. I haven't beat it yet [I'm stuck at the GS Valhalla and a little pissed at those dam enemies that show up in every room] but it's good so far, if it wasn't for the crazy interference I get around here I would be able to enjoy it more.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Happy 2008 everyone. To mark the start of a new year, I thought it might be interesting to list our favorite games of last year. Here's my top 5.
Not in this thread. This is for debating the current generation consoles, not listing your favorite games of '07.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I fail to understand why people say that Final Fantasy 13 is coming to the XBox 360. It isn't coming. Square announced in late May that other than FFXI and it's expansions, no FF games willl come to the 360.
Someone said that they could change their mind, and another said that Microsoft can send people to Square to do so. We have heard absolutely nothing about the state of exclusivity of FF13 since then, which should tell you something. FFXIII has no release date now, so why say it will come to the 360 now? It's too early to say it is now. It's sillier than making a tier list for Brawl before the game comes out. I hope they giver more info at E3'08.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's called rumors. People like to through out stuff like that. Take MGS4. This week there was a STRONG rumor that it was almost done for the 360, Konami decided to shut that down and say it was PS3 exclusive.

The internet allows rumors to spread like wild fire.

Ardeekay

Smash Apprentice
So I guess I just found out that the new Street Fighter 4 is coming out for both the Xbox360 and, to my utter surprise, the Wii.

This is good news for me, at least, because besides Smash, Street Fighter is one of my favorite video game series, and it's great that it's coming out for the Wii. Althought it IS one less reason for me to buy the PS3.

I would have just settled with driving over to my friend's house to play his PS3 with him for games like MGS4 and SF4. But it seems like Sony dropped the ball on this one with securing exclusive rights from Capcom to release SF4 on only their console. This probably would have helped the PS3's ****-poor sales.

Way to go again, Sony. You've probably failed to spark millions of people's interests again.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
So I guess I just found out that the new Street Fighter 4 is coming out for both the Xbox360 and, to my utter surprise, the Wii.

This is good news for me, at least, because besides Smash, Street Fighter is one of my favorite video game series, and it's great that it's coming out for the Wii. Althought it IS one less reason for me to buy the PS3.

I would have just settled with driving over to my friend's house to play his PS3 with him for games like MGS4 and SF4. But it seems like Sony dropped the ball on this one with securing exclusive rights from Capcom to release SF4 on only their console. This probably would have helped the PS3's ****-poor sales.

Way to go again, Sony. You've probably failed to spark millions of people's interests again.
WHAT?! Where did you hear this? If true, then you just made my day! I've been hoping to see the next Street Fighter on Wii since it was first unveiled.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Indeed, a quick search not only doesn't show it's coming for the Wii, but it also shows it was never exclusive for PS3. Sources?

Ardeekay

Smash Apprentice
See now, I knew I should have saved the article. I have no idea where I found it; one of my hardcore SF friends showed it to me a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure about how credible the source is.

However, here's a quote from Ono-san, one of the creators of SF, regarding the new game on multi-platforms:

Ono:

"We’re not looking to release it on a certain platform first and use that to collect info as a beta test and tune the game. We’re instead taking the opposite approach, by assessing the strengths and weaknesses of each platform and making a version to sit each platform as needed."

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Thanks for shattering my dreams and breaking my spirit Ardeekay. Heresay is not a comfirmation in my books.

My stance is that Capcom would be wise to release SF4 on all three platforms. This isn't GTA 4 or Resident Evil 5 we're talking about, I see no reason why it couldn't work on Wii (though the visuals would take a hit, obviously.)

Ardeekay

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for shattering my dreams and breaking my spirit Ardeekay. Heresay is not a comfiramtion in my books.

My stance is that Capcom would be wise to release SF4 on all three platforms. This isn't GTA 4 or Resident Evil 5 we're talking about, I see no reason why it couldn't work on Wii (though the visuals would take a hit, obviously.)
Sorry for shattering your dreams. :(

I'm sure if I look hard enough, I'll find it. It was probably somewhere on the Shoryuken.com forums, I'll go look later.

As for the graphics, I'm not sure that they'd be reduced too much to be visibly apparent. The Wii should be able to handle this type of graphics:

It looks more cel-shaded than anything, even though it's obviously not. The cartoony feel to it would be perfect for the Wii, and any discussion we have about implementing the Wiimote is just barely scratching the surface of possibilities.

Dragon Punches with the Wiimote anyone? Win.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I think it could definitely be done. And since Capcom has been very kind to the Wii thus far (RE4: Wii Edition, Zack and Wiki, Umbrella Chronicles) I will continue to hold out hope.

HOWEVER they had better include Classic Controller and/or Gamecube Controller support. The idea of playing a highly technical fighting game with waggle gives me hives.

Ardeekay

Smash Apprentice
]
HOWEVER they had better include Classic Controller and/or Gamecube Controller support. The idea of playing a highly technical fighting game with waggle gives me hives.
Lol, I feel the same way. Although it would be fun to do a few tryout rounds with motion-sensing, ultimately, for serious matches, the GC controller would have to be used.

TGM

Smash Lord
As much of a wii-lover i am. fighting games WILL NEVER work on the wii. Unless the classic or GCN control is used. wii is not built AT ALL for a fighter. DBZ T 2 and 3 are trash.

shooters,party games and RTS(starcraft-like games) are wiis forte.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Any game can be the Wii's forte, developers just need to learn that motion sensing doesn't need to be forced into every game on the Wii. The classic controller is a viable option even though it's not included with the Wii.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I haven't played my Wii since I got my 360 on xmas. Although I had some problems at first, the Wii just can't even come close to the interface and internet the 360 has going for it.

I do acknowledge there is a reason why the Wii is 100 bucks cheaper and has free internet, but golly has MS opened my eyes to online gaming.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I was actually thinking the other day how much Nintendo fans owe to Microsoft. Without Xbox Live pushing the envelope and pushing pressure on the competition, I doubt Nintendo would have bothered including online play at all in their consoles - let alone the ability to share custom stages over wi-fi in Brawl . They've still alot of way to go, but Nintendo has made impressive progress since the Gamecube days. That kind of competition is one of the upsides of the console war.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wii's online is pretty disappointing compared to the competition. It's their first time but the whole FC, bare bones gameplay thing keeps bringing down online. Sure Brawl is going to raise the bar for Wii games in terms of online but I just have a feeling that Brawl's lead will go ignored.

I hope a get a job this [maybe next] year so I can get a 360, Wii's library is just too limited for me.

Ardeekay

Smash Apprentice
The thing I don't like about the Xbox360 is that Microsoft could have used all of the resources they wasted in making a console towards making PC gaming, specifically FPS's, a lot better. I really enjoy online FPS's, and I don't like using the ridiculously awkward Xbox controllers for shooting games--the WASD and mouse method are much better IMO.

I just don't see the reason for Microsoft to foray into the world of console gaming other than to wriggle itself into another lucrative business field, just like it did with digital media players and the Zune. Just another indicator that all Microsoft cares about is money.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Wii's online is pretty disappointing compared to the competition. It's their first time but the whole FC, bare bones gameplay thing keeps bringing down online. Sure Brawl is going to raise the bar for Wii games in terms of online but I just have a feeling that Brawl's lead will go ignored.
While I highly doubt the Wii will ever rival the 360's library of online games, I am hopeful that the success of Brawl will improve things quite a bit. After Brawl sells umpteen million units I'm hopeful that Nintendo will take the hint and have many of the same features in Mario Kart Wii (with the addition of a bundled headset for talking with friends) and with any luck EA will follow Nintendo's lead when they inevitably make Rock Band 2 for the Wii and include a robust online mode. Then if Capcom ever gets around to bringing Street Fighter 4 to the Console they could raise the bar even further.

Just another indicator that all Microsoft cares about is money.
Yeah, as opposed to Nintendo and Sony which make videogames for the good of mankind...

(Sorry, but you kinda walked into that one. ;))

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I'm a huge supporter of No More Heroes and I can't wait to play it. Sadly, however, I fear it won't matter when they release it if Ubisoft fails to market the game in North America. The success of RE4: Wii Edition proved that there is a market for mature games on the console, but if no one knows about it the title will almost certainly go the same route as Zack & Wiki. Which sucks, because NMH looks unspeakably awesome to me.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I thought it was planned to release on the exact same day as Brawl before this change, not three weeks after it.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yeah, as opposed to Nintendo and Sony which make videogames for the good of mankind...
They do what they can. :laugh:

And I don't think NMH is that big of a deal to put a sizeable dent in Brawl sales, seein as it's Brawl we're talking about, but I don't see why they wouldn't wait until after Brawl to release it.

It's just bad marketing on Nintendo's part to release another heavily hyped game right before they release their haymaker. But then again, this is Nintendo, the same company who produces Wiis 5 at a time and loses out on sales because, for whatever reason, they don't make enough.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

It's just bad marketing on Nintendo's part to release another heavily hyped game right before they release their haymakr.But then again, this is Nintendo, the same company who produces Wiis 5 at a time and loses out on sales because, for whatever reason, they don't make enough.
Let's be fair, Nintendo doesn't really have anything to do with NHM. It's being developed by Grasshopper and published by Ubisoft.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The thing I don't like about the Xbox360 is that Microsoft could have used all of the resources they wasted in making a console towards making PC gaming, specifically FPS's, a lot better. I really enjoy online FPS's, and I don't like using the ridiculously awkward Xbox controllers for shooting games--the WASD and mouse method are much better IMO.

I just don't see the reason for Microsoft to foray into the world of console gaming other than to wriggle itself into another lucrative business field, just like it did with digital media players and the Zune. Just another indicator that all Microsoft cares about is money.
Uh, so what I get from your post is "Microsoft makes Windows and should only do that." What's the sense in that? They have endless pits of money, why not break out into new fields and make those endless pits of money filled with even more money? You also call the 360 controller ridiculously awkward. How is that? The 360 controller is often referred to as the most comfortable controller on the market today.

RDK

Smash Hero
Uh, so what I get from your post is "Microsoft makes Windows and should only do that." What's the sense in that? They have endless pits of money, why not break out into new fields and make those endless pits of money filled with even more money? You also call the 360 controller ridiculously awkward. How is that? The 360 controller is often referred to as the most comfortable controller on the market today.
My take on it is I think they should spend a little time to develop their piss-poor operating system, and stick with online gaming on the PC rather than make yet another console that we all have to buy even though they could have just made them for computer.

And TBH, the 360 controller IS awkward. It may be because years of playing Halo 1 and 2 with the clunky Xbox controller turned me off, but I just don't like the design and layout of it.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
Thats bogus, why would microsoft do that to the market[while having good sales] if they relesed it now i think it would go the way of the dreamcast,lauched 3 years before and under hyped, a lack of third party devalopment all because [well i think.....] the market was'nt finished with the current generation.

RDK

Smash Hero
Thats bogus, why would microsoft do that to the market[while having good sales] if they relesed it now i think it would go the way of the dreamcast,lauched 3 years before and under hyped, a lack of third party devalopment all because [well i think.....] the market was'nt finished with the current generation.
I'm pretty sure that they're not planning on releasing it as early as the Dreamcast. That would just be idiotic planning.

They're probably starting working on it now so it will be that much better when it finally does come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom