• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New and Hopefully improved Captain Falcon matchup thread! Discussing : MmmmK

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
less spam, more discussion
I'm sorry, that was the funniest thing I saw today. I did just wake up though...

dk is hairier than falcon, so dk wins

60:40 dk
I don't know, I heard Falcon has a lot of chest hair. But I don't think this is done yet, we don't really have any DK mains in here (I'm about to ask some), and all we know is what Falcon can do. Besides the fact that DK has one of the best ranges on the ground in the game and a recovery that is very hard for Falcon to gimp.

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
Besides tilts and bair, DK can space with down-b, which has huge range and punishes rolls/spotdodges/shields effectively. His grounded up-b eats shields as well and is difficult to punish if spaced properly. DK can also up-b from a platform during the armor frames and gain SA for the whole move. Other than that, you've covered most of the MU. DK outranges Falcon, KO's earlier, can juggle well, and edgeguards Falcon relatively easily.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I just found out one of the people I'm housing with at Eggz house, Mr. Bojangles, is a DK main who's ranked 9th on the WA PR list.

I'll get some games with him. Because I don't know the DK match up that well. My friends is good but he's away at college/never home, so my experience is limited :/

ook

Smash Lord
Oh man.... honestly, for real, as a DK main, Falcon is one of my hardest matchups. :(

I think the trick for Falcon is that you gotta go offstage and edgeguard DK with aerials. Since all DK can do is either...

1.Airdodge, which can be deadly for DK if he's too low (because of his recovery) and falcon's aerials are generally pretty quick and you can get another one off and hit him afterwards.
2. Nair, which is... pretty bad and would probably not beat out Falcon.
3. Fair, which can work, but it's slow enough that the Falcon can see it coming and avoid.
4. Side-b, which is the same situation as fair.
4. Up-b, which has invincibility and great "priority", but has a lot of landing lag if you use it high, and can probably be spiked if you try to use it low. Also it might be able to be beat by a Falcon dive (not sure)

Also DK is a huge target for knees and nairs and falcon dives and all sorts of stuff.

I'm gotta say it's.......... 50/50
Only cause it's Falcon, who has so many other weaknesses, and DK outranges him :(
But it's a pretty good matchup

you just gotta get the knees

About a month or two ago at a tourney I was playing a friendly set against Ally's snake, and I won.
Then later on we had to fight in the actual bracket, so he switched to Falcon. he 2-stocked me! :o

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
The only thing about DK that scares me is cargo throw stagespike, which I've not had enough practice to avoid. Those of you getting owned by his tilts are probably just standing around at the wrong distance.
very few good dks use the stage spike, it was only good around 80% anyway, and the hold up thing doesn't really help past 80%

but yeah, it was always really limited and it's better to just throw them off and gimp

7-3 dk seems about right, dk can get some early kos with punch and usmash, in the air he has to watch out not to get above falcon (uair), but other than that back air will beat falcons air game. most of the points have already been covered, the dk just has to know that he should sit back and space with tilts so that falcon has to approach

EDIT: Ook, don't approach falcon from the air, and when you get knocked offstage turn yourself around with headbutt and return with bairs, it helps a TON

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
7-3 dk seems about right, dk can get some early kos with punch and usmash, in the air he has to watch out not to get above falcon (uair), but other than that back air will beat falcons air game.
I agree 100%. The big thing to me is, no matter how much more versatile Falcon's air game is, DK's bair outranges everything, and the only way to gimp a smart DK is to try and fastfall under him and uair, which will just add on a little more damage. The normal means of deterring recoveries (flubbed knees, bairs) will just get hit by your upB, and with DK never having to get in the air unless for his recovery (which is pretty safe), Falcon will have a lot of trouble dealing with his tilts, let alone the rest of DK's ground game.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Statistics. Not matches. Get me more with the same result and then your post is viable.
isn't a tier list two players of equal skill playing at their best? and tiers are based on match-ups.
imo, only thing dk has on cf are ftilt and bair. i can pull up other matches where crummy falcons lose to pro dk's, or people who don't even main cf going against dk.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
IMO DK's Bair is what make this match-up so good for DK, it'd be near to even without it but Bair just **** all Falcon's opions if he has a good spacing with it. Also Falcon can have a hard time killing DK if he just uses safe moves to rack damage and on the other hand Dk can kill Falcon easily.

7-3 for DK

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
IMO DK's Bair is what make this match-up so good for DK, it'd be near to even without it but Bair just **** all Falcon's opions if he has a good spacing with it. Also Falcon can have a hard time killing DK if he just uses safe moves to rack damage and on the other hand Dk can kill Falcon easily.

7-3 for DK
I've played DK's before and worried more about super armor Up B and tilts more than bair.

Bair... just shield grab, heck jump outta shield drop a nair.

60:40 DK

DK has mad range and amazing KO power. Heaviness lets falcon off the hook a bit due to combo potential.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Bumping this because it needs bumping.
I'd go with 60:40. Maybe 55:45. It's not as bad as everyone thought. The tilts can kill you, but get in point blank, you'll be dandy. You've got a pseudo chain grab on him. It's legit to a certain percent. Your jab, weak knee, and FHN are awesome against him and nearly always set up for a grab.

Watch out for the bair, man.

Player-3

Smash Hero
dk is too good

ive survived to 300 agaisnt a rob on mansion before
XDDDD
anyways

next matchup will be..... pikachu!

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
get cg'd and camped ***** this is brawl
brawl 0 melee 100
NO MATCH UP YOUR JUST LOSING IF YOU ARE PLAYING BRAWL NO MATTER WHOS ON THE VICTORY SCREEN

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Falcon gets cged really, really badly by Pikachu. I've had it done to me to 90% before, I'm pretty sure 60% is guaranteed at the least. He does die early, but that's like saying MK dies early. I don't know a whole lot of specific things, but I have played a lot of Pikachus and only lost to the ones that were bad or didn't main him. I'd say... 75-25? He doesn't have anything that beats Falcon in particular, but thunder is actually useful against Falcon since his two best zones are in the air or in jab range, and Pikachu is hard to gimp. We need RJ in here for the real analysis :D

tl;dr look at skip's post

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
When I play Pika, one of my favorite things to do is to learn their dsmash thumbscrew. like, when they like to use it to apply shield pressure, when they're scared, etc. prop. shielding this gives our man a free smash/ dair (to knee?). punishing skullbash is a piece of cake, and beating a thunder isn't all to difficult either. usually you can trade a small amount of damage for an fsmash tp the rat. on the other hand, pika is indeed difficult to gimp and his projo game frustrates to no end. Overall, i'd say the match is pretty close. 40/60 for 'chu. QAC and disjointed hitbox ftl...

and brawl is all there is now, melee is in the past. leave it there and embrace this game for what it is. not how unlike melee it's turned out to be.

Player-3

Smash Hero
and brawl is all there is now, melee is in the past. leave it there and embrace this game for what it is. not how unlike melee it's turned out to be.
your silly
;P

also you cant smash a pika if you shield dsmash... he can shield it

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Pikachu's dsmash is probably the easiest move in the game to SDI (up). If he does that a lot, he'll just eat knees all match. Umm, skull bash isn't really used except to recover, and if he's far enough that quick attack can't make it back, chances are you won't be that far offstage either. In terms of thunder, the attack gives him some sort of invincibility (SA i think) which makes it very tough to punish without a quick move used after the attack, which doesn't have much end lag, since the thunder has a big hitbox around Pikachu.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
When I play Pika, one of my favorite things to do is to learn their dsmash thumbscrew. like, when they like to use it to apply shield pressure, when they're scared, etc. prop. shielding this gives our man a free smash/ dair (to knee?). punishing skullbash is a piece of cake, and beating a thunder isn't all to difficult either. usually you can trade a small amount of damage for an fsmash tp the rat. on the other hand, pika is indeed difficult to gimp and his projo game frustrates to no end. Overall, i'd say the match is pretty close. 40/60 for 'chu. QAC and disjointed hitbox ftl...

40/60? play my pikachu whenever you can and ill bet you that you'll want to play melee.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Pikachu is one of my hardest match ups. That mouse has so much on Falcon. I nearly got taken out in tourny by a ****ty Pika player. I made me so angry. I've grown a lot and learned a lot about the match up sine then.
uairs and bairs are definitely your friend. I always approach with AC'd knees, but for those who don't like doing that, backwards approach with bair works well. The neutral b is annoying, but once you get their rhythm down, it's easy to get past. Watch out for dsmash, it's brutal and has priority over everything. utilt is definitely your friend in this match though. I think you'll get most kills from utilt and down smash. He'll get his with dsmash and fsmash. You shouldn't be getting hit by thunder spams. Watch Anther play. He knows exactly when to throw that out. Most Pikas won't know how to use it.

30:70 in Pika's favor.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
ok if you get caught in pikas dsmash just di/sdi up and it shouldn't kill you ever. tilt locks, cgs, and camping. expect it. pika poo can chain grab you to like 50-60% if I recall. his moves out prioritize yours no matter what you throw at him. the best thing to do is wait til he's started a hitbox animation and bair/uair it. I wouldn't recommend going offstage to fight pikachu unless you're really sure you can predict his recovery patterns. pikachu can gimp falcon's upb in so many ways that you should really avoid any offstage play with pikachu. if you get beneath the stage, spam upb until you are back on. a few times I've been hit by pikachus QA or thunderbolt and didn't even notice it so I ended up sd'ing.
you can jab his grounded thunderbolt(b move to clear confusion) so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle but expect a follow up after, the pikachus I have played (one being ninjalink a far time back) like to use 1 then come in close right behind it. that's my serious input for the match-up. imo.. 30-70 or 25-75....FALCONS FAVOR
HYESZ

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Pikachu is a pain on Falcon
I always try to outrange it with my f-tilt or u-tilt but his thunder makes Falcon's air game limited
However, pikachu's recovery moves are somewhat predictable
Pika is too good for Falcon =(

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I disagree about thunder. It's a slow enough move to be able to avoid most of the time. Also, you can punish a missed thunder if you're super cool.
Honestly I think Pika's neutral b, fsmash and dsmash are the big things to watch out for. He can also probably juggle you with his uptilt.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu can jab Falcon out of like almost if not all of his moves, even if properly spaced. When it start spamming jab you're almost forced to jump over it since it seem to beat all of Douglas' ground moves (seriously, you might take like 40% from it while trying all your moves before going like OMG FALCON ****ING SUCK, that jab is like a brickwall for Falcon)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Pikachu can jab Falcon out of like almost if not all of his moves, even if properly spaced. When it start spamming jab you're almost forced to jump over it since it seem to beat all of Douglas' ground moves (seriously, you might take like 40% from it while trying all your moves before going like OMG FALCON ****ING SUCK, that jab is like a brickwall for Falcon)
Doesn't up tilt clash with it?

Top Bottom