• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Myth of the Elitist Competitives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you have it ALLLLLL wrong.

Like i said before, 100s of times. This isn't melee anymore. There are no more rules laid out. Not yet anyway. For christs sake, the game isnt even out in the US yet. Brawl is open for everyone, everyone opinions should be noted, and openly received. Thats what a good website does, and thats what unbiased people would do.
What the hell does this have to do with the discussion at hand (elitism)?!

All opinion is welcome, all long as they're sensible and presented in civil ways. It's not OK to say "You're wrong for playing your way!". I've never said that. I've only said that certain things are better "for competitive play".

The fact that Brawl is a new game does also not rewrite the rules of competitive play. When will you get that?

Lets use your example to show you how wrong you are.
I'm listening.

Lets pretend I walked into some cool club, with a few friends, Were all wearing dark color clothes. I walk in the entrance, and i see a bunch of people who are already standing there, regulars, and theyre all wearing light colored clothes.

Now... technically, we're both allowed to be there, we both paid our covers. But here are the regulars, they know the place ...and they start yelling at us, "HEY! Why aren't you wearing light colored clothes??? You shouldnt even be here if you dont do it our way!"
Yeah, only the regulars and Old Ones at Smashboards aren't actually yelling at the new ones for not using Advanced Techniques or for them using Items. Find me five examples of that happening (heck, find me two).

We're, however, yelling at people for yelling at us that we're playing the game wrong.

We respond, "Hey .. have you ever tried wearing dark color clothes? Its not really that bad man .... hey listen .. can't we just chill together and talk about our differences in clothes. ?"

The regs respond, "We tried wearing dark clothes, its no good, we found out light clothes are the best."

response, "What? You tried it in this club?"

"No, we tried it in that last club we were in, but this one is just like the last one"
Yeah, your analogy fails for many reasons.

Ummm, lol. thats my scenerio, Sounds familiar doesnt it?? It also sounds really ridiculous when you change the words around.
No, not really. I'm just reminded of why I concluded you were a troll after replying to 3 of your posts and having all of my posts either ignored or replied to in moronic ways.

Let me present my own analogy, one which you will most probably either ignore or be too illogical to comprehend:
Soccer players all over the world have successfully competed against each other with a set ruleset for years. A balanced ruleset has been worked out through hard work and trial and error.

In walks a bunch of greenhorn who want more fun. They suggest introducing the use of banana peels which would be randomly thrown onto random parts of the field at random times. They suggest randomly throwing in clubs which, while not physically dangerous, would allow players to knock their opponents aside with them.

They also introduce special Kicker Shoes. Depending on which player gets it, the effects will vary. Some will be totally invincible being able to score more than one goal during the duration of their use. Some will merely be able to bypass two tackles for free for the duration of the use. These things would also be randomly thrown into random parts of the playing field.

Through trial and error, a competitive mindset and just common sense, the Old Ones conclude that no, these new rules will not favor competitive play and should not be adapted. The New Ones badger the Old Ones for this because they want more fun and while they themselves will most probably not attend tournaments, they think their way is better and should be the only way.

Sounds familiar?

greenblob

Smash Lord
There are several flaws in your analogy. One big one is the fact that while almost every competitive Smasher was once a casual Smasher (myself included), there are no casual Smashers who were once competitive Smashers.

It's kinda like Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

OK, so I was being cheeky with the last comment, but you get the idea.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
No, you have it ALLLLLL wrong.

Like i said before, 100s of times. This isn't melee anymore. There are no more rules laid out. Not yet anyway. For christs sake, the game isnt even out in the US yet. Brawl is open for everyone, everyone opinions should be noted, and openly received. Thats what a good website does, and thats what unbiased people would do.

Lets use your example to show you how wrong you are.

Lets pretend I walked into some cool club, with a few friends, Were all wearing dark color clothes. I walk in the entrance, and i see a bunch of people who are already standing there, regulars, and theyre all wearing light colored clothes.

Now... technically, we're both allowed to be there, we both paid our covers. But here are the regulars, they know the place ...and they start yelling at us, "HEY! Why aren't you wearing light colored clothes??? You shouldnt even be here if you dont do it our way!"

We respond, "Hey .. have you ever tried wearing dark color clothes? Its not really that bad man .... hey listen .. can't we just chill together and talk about our differences in clothes. ?"

The regs respond, "We tried wearing dark clothes, its no good, we found out light clothes are the best."

response, "What? You tried it in this club?"

"No, we tried it in that last club we were in, but this one is just like the last one"

Ummm, lol. thats my scenerio, Sounds familiar doesnt it?? It also sounds really ridiculous when you change the words around.

So in your analogy:
Dark clothes people = casual players
Light clothes peole = competitive
Current club = Brawl
Previous club = Melee
?
amirite?

Trying new clothes in a club = trying new playstyles? rule settings?

If so, your analogy seems a bit off. Standard rule settings haven't really been made for Brawl yet. In fact, 4 stock seems a little bit too much in brawl, seeing as everyone lives longer, so 3 stock might become more common. Rule settings will change to conform to the game.

As for playstyles, well they're clearly changing. Competitive will still be competitive, but it's going to be different from melee.

This entire argument seems to have gone way off topic. Either that, or I just horribly misinterpreted your analogy there.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Frost2k
Why are you upset that people are working up on things with Brawl competitively? Why does it matter to you? Why can't you just keep it to yourself? I don't understand your need for complaining about people who are actually good trying to work on and refine Brawl rule sets. It doesn't matter if the game isn't here either. You aren't claiming to want to participate, so how does this even affect you?

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts on the matter...being completely casual.

You guys do what you want. If it makes you money, if it makes you good, so what? I don't care. I'll have fun my way, maybe try your way for a while, test it out, have fun. The game is about having fun. You do what you want with it, and I'll do what I want. I CANNOT STAND WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO CHANGE THIS! Casuals who insult you guys anger me...and although I rarely see it (mostly on GameFAQs if anywhere) vice versa.

I think this myth is perpetuated primarily by people who think they are competitive, but in fact are just arrogant snobs who have a hyperinflated sense of their own skill and would get completely thrashed by a relatively new competitive Smasher. They portray themselves as competitive players, and because some communities do not see very many openly competitive people, the public view gets distorted. This is sad.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
@Frost2k
Why are you upset that people are working up on things with Brawl competitively? Why does it matter to you? Why can't you just keep it to yourself? I don't understand your need for complaining about people who are actually good trying to work on and refine Brawl rule sets. It doesn't matter if the game isn't here either. You aren't claiming to want to participate, so how does this even affect you?
You must've missed all of his other posts.

The guy's an ardent supporter of Items/Final Smashes. These are the "new things" he's talking about, the things he's criticizing us for not using.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts on the matter...being completely casual.

You guys do what you want. If it makes you money, if it makes you good, so what? I don't care. I'll have fun my way, maybe try your way for a while, test it out, have fun. The game is about having fun. You do what you want with it, and I'll do what I want. I CANNOT STAND WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO CHANGE THIS! Casuals who insult you guys anger me...and although I rarely see it (mostly on GameFAQs if anywhere) vice versa.

I think this myth is perpetuated primarily by people who think they are competitive, but in fact are just arrogant snobs who have a hyperinflated sense of their own skill and would get completely thrashed by a relatively new competitive Smasher. They portray themselves as competitive players, and because some communities do not see very many openly competitive people, the public view gets distorted. This is sad.
Exactly. That's the mindset all players should have.

Competitive players won't have fun playing with less-skilled players, and casual ones won't go to tournaments and will rarelly see competitive ones. They'll rarely come across each other anyway, so I don't see how they affect one another (except in discussions like these).

Wow. This entire thread has degenerated into a pseudo-casual-vs-competitive discussion. Like they all do, eh?

Merfy

Smash Rookie
why is this thread still alive? 5 tourneyf*gs were named... Challenge is over.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
why is this thread still alive? 5 tourneyf*gs were named... Challenge is over.
Because the challenge required a single person to have personally encountered 5 tournamentidiots (while this is not explicit, it was later explained).

Also, that's just the challenge. The premise of the thread does not fail or succeed based on whether or not the challenge can be met.

Merfy

Smash Rookie
it's not my fault you phrased your question incorrectly.
You lose. GOOD DAY SIR!

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ah before brawl, when smashboards wasn't infested with scrubs. and to add to the discussion, I don't know why people keep arguing the point when its crystal clear, or I do but I'm saying I don't for the sake of argument. I have flamed one scrub In real life and have been flamed by three noobs. If us as competitive smashers were asked to name five casuals that have flamed us for using cheap tactics and playing without honor, we would be able to do it.

1.Joey-Casual player who int a bad player , but I use edge guarding and he flys off the handle
2.T**a- a casual who plays with the competitive and gets uberily pissed when she gets pwned by l-canceling.

3.kid at smash tournament- Yes it was at a smash tournament in my hometown and he was playing someone who wasn't competitive but did smash with us regularly, he through the controller and started screaming and then stormed out. he got three stocked.

4.The same guy that beat this kid got three stocked by someone I know to be a competitive smasher and he was way more pissed than the little kid.

5. I cant think of a fifth person. but theres four.

@ Merfy - You seem to really want the casuals to "win" this little bout as it wasn't intended to be. (No it was intended to end the myth of elitist)My guess is that you are a casual and since you were wronged by a competitive player you have revenge on your heart. I could be wrong but, its the way you come across.

orintemple

Smash Lord
You must've missed all of his other posts.

The guy's an ardent supporter of Items/Final Smashes. These are the "new things" he's talking about, the things he's criticizing us for not using.
It's kind of funny when you think on it because everyone starts out playing the game with items. Then some people (competitive smashers) look for a way for the game to be fair to everyone while others(items users and such) stay back in the original way of doing things. Some move on, some don't.

Competitive play takes the randomness out of the game as much as possible. Without randomness people can't complain that they lost a tournament, possibly real life money, because of some lucky fall placement of an item.

No one will say that items aren't random, correct? So I don't see how some people don't understand competitive players thoughts on how taking out items is necassary for fair play.

One group of players plays to get better at the game hoping to get into the tourney scene, meet new people, and maybe win a few bucks along the way. Some groups play just purely to hang out with some friends and have some fun, no matter how they want to play.

If you are going to play for cash, things MUST be evened out to JUST PURE SKILL, NO LUCK INVOLVED.(or as close as they can get)
---
Btw, this is not a post against you Yuna, I just quoted you because it was the closest relavent post.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's not my fault you phrased your question incorrectly.
You lose. GOOD DAY SIR!
It is your fault for missing the followup posts where I clearly (repeatedly) lay out the rules.

It's also your fault for somehow misinterpreting the original post as "If you can win the challenge, then this thread fails".

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
@Frost2k
mookierah...what makes you think im against that? where did you ever get that from?

what am i complaining about, other than how people are using melee as a crutch to make up brawl rulesets. thats my only problem.

I love competitive brawl. I WILL be playing brawl competitively. I just want brawl's competitive scene to be the best it can be. I liked the way melee's scene developed. I am, however, smart enough to realize that melees competitive success was derived through the fact that it was developed uniquely.

If we want brawl to be successful, we CAN'T put as much emphasis on melee as we are doing. Thats all im saying. I'm sorry that you aren't understanding that.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
What the hell does this have to do with the discussion at hand (elitism)?!

All opinion is welcome, all long as they're sensible and presented in civil ways. It's not OK to say "You're wrong for playing your way!". I've never said that. I've only said that certain things are better "for competitive play".

The fact that Brawl is a new game does also not rewrite the rules of competitive play. When will you get that?

I'm listening.

Yeah, only the regulars and Old Ones at Smashboards aren't actually yelling at the new ones for not using Advanced Techniques or for them using Items. Find me five examples of that happening (heck, find me two).

We're, however, yelling at people for yelling at us that we're playing the game wrong.

Yeah, your analogy fails for many reasons.

No, not really. I'm just reminded of why I concluded you were a troll after replying to 3 of your posts and having all of my posts either ignored or replied to in moronic ways.

Let me present my own analogy, one which you will most probably either ignore or be too illogical to comprehend:
Soccer players all over the world have successfully competed against each other with a set ruleset for years. A balanced ruleset has been worked out through hard work and trial and error.

In walks a bunch of greenhorn who want more fun. They suggest introducing the use of banana peels which would be randomly thrown onto random parts of the field at random times. They suggest randomly throwing in clubs which, while not physically dangerous, would allow players to knock their opponents aside with them.

They also introduce special Kicker Shoes. Depending on which player gets it, the effects will vary. Some will be totally invincible being able to score more than one goal during the duration of their use. Some will merely be able to bypass two tackles for free for the duration of the use. These things would also be randomly thrown into random parts of the playing field.

Through trial and error, a competitive mindset and just common sense, the Old Ones conclude that no, these new rules will not favor competitive play and should not be adapted. The New Ones badger the Old Ones for this because they want more fun and while they themselves will most probably not attend tournaments, they think their way is better and should be the only way.

Sounds familiar?
Dude ... they didnt come up with a new soccer game. They didnt add scooters to the game, or make the ball 30 pounds heavier, or put trampolines on the field.

Its not a new game. your example doesnt make any sense whatsoever. And i actually told you why, unlike you, who simply said "it fails for many reasons"

I'm just reminded of why I concluded you were an idiot after replying to 3 of your posts and having all of my posts either ignored or replied to in moronic ways.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude ... they didnt come up with a new soccer game. They didnt add scooters to the game, or make the ball 30 pounds heavier, or put trampolines on the field.
What part of "A new game does not rewrite the rules of competitive play" is too hard for you to comprehend?

Let's modify my analogy a little then. Pop Idol (1st season) to the current season of American Idol. They changed a few things, added a few things, removed a few things. Obviously, the rules of competitive singing must have changed as well.

Let's randomly dish out performance-enhancing drugs at random times in random places. Let's place banana peels in random spots at random intervalls for performs to slip on during concerts. Let's create a special Token which can be used in entirely different ways depending on which contestant finds it.

Its not a new game. your example doesnt make any sense whatsoever. And i actually told you why, unlike you, who simply said "it fails for many reasons"
Your example made even less sense.

"I'm just reminded of why I concluded you were an idiot after replying to 3 of your posts and having all of my posts either ignored or replied to in moronic ways."
Way to fail to quote. Or if that wasn't a quote of me but the tactic of using my words against me, then you fail because I didn't ignore any of your first 5 or so replies, I only started ignoring the really stupid ones two hours ago, and I'm pretty sure I can get a lot of people to corroborate with me that my replies weren't moronic, starting with MookieRah.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
What part of "A new game does not rewrite the rules of competitive play" is too hard for you to comprehend?

Let's modify my analogy a little then. Pop Idol (1st season) to the current season of American Idol. They changed a few things, added a few things, removed a few things. Obviously, the rules of competitive singing must have changed as well.

Let's randomly dish out performance-enhancing drugs at random times in random places. Let's place banana peels in random spots at random intervalls for performs to slip on during concerts. Let's create a special Token which can be used in entirely different ways depending on which contestant finds it.

Your example made even less sense.

Way to fail to quote. Or if that wasn't a quote of me but the tactic of using my words against me, then you fail because I didn't ignore any of your first 5 or so replies, I only started ignoring the really stupid ones two hours ago, and I'm pretty sure I can get a lot of people to corroborate with me that my replies weren't moronic, starting with MookieRah.
mookierah and you are buddies.. i can care less what he says, cause its obvious hell support you.

and i dont ignore youre posts. If i happen to read it, i'll respond to it. If i dont see it, i wont.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
mookierah and you are buddies.. i can care less what he says, cause its obvious hell support you.

and i dont ignore youre posts. If i happen to read it, i'll respond to it. If i dont see it, i wont.
Nice how you conveniently failed to respond to my new analogy or the fact that "a new game does not change the rules of competitive gaming [and what is fair and balanaced]".

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Geez do people in this age have to try and ruin every single thing?
I'd have to agree with Yuna on the fact that there are many claims of numerous "elitists" around here but can anyone actually say that they are actually patrolling the forums and oppressing all the casuals they come across?
I think that this whole "elitist" idea was just a huge troll to begin with.
And what did you do? You fed it. Great job, and now you're complaining.
Do you know what group of people on the internet love to use the term "tourneyf*g"? The ~chan users. I don't think I need to say any more.
Smash is a game folks, it doesn't matter how you play it, just have fun.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Ah before brawl, when smashboards wasn't infested with scrubs. and to add to the discussion, I don't know why people keep arguing the point when its crystal clear, or I do but I'm saying I don't for the sake of argument. I have flamed one scrub In real life and have been flamed by three noobs. If us as competitive smashers were asked to name five casuals that have flamed us for using cheap tactics and playing without honor, we would be able to do it.

1.Joey-Casual player who int a bad player , but I use edge guarding and he flys off the handle
2.T**a- a casual who plays with the competitive and gets uberily pissed when she gets pwned by l-canceling.

3.kid at smash tournament- Yes it was at a smash tournament in my hometown and he was playing someone who wasn't competitive but did smash with us regularly, he through the controller and started screaming and then stormed out. he got three stocked.

4.The same guy that beat this kid got three stocked by someone I know to be a competitive smasher and he was way more pissed than the little kid.

5. I cant think of a fifth person. but theres four.

@ Merfy - You seem to really want the casuals to "win" this little bout as it wasn't intended to be. (No it was intended to end the myth of elitist)My guess is that you are a casual and since you were wronged by a competitive player you have revenge on your heart. I could be wrong but, its the way you come across.
For example, this post is very elitist.

Smashboards isn't filled with scrubs because of brawl. They are newbies.

****, is like whoever isn't competitive, is a scrub. That's pretty **** elitist

And that's also pretty **** elitist. I defend the casuals yet i'm not a casual (nor a competitive in the right mode, but when I find local tourneys or these things, i go to all them and i practice and all that bla bla bla).

I'm not saying you are elitist. I'm saying that SOUND elitist. Everything that means "i'm better than you, go die" is VERY elitist, and a lot of competitive players and competitive scrubs do that argument often, even if they don't want to. Is natural. (Even for me, it occurs when talking about pokemon, but at least i don't say go die, but I say them how they have to make their teams etc.)

The right thing, that newbieflamers exist in pokemon, and i have suffered from them too. but ****, that's NOT a casual if you are teaching how can you play better. That's a idiot.

(Otherwise, if you see the other can't do pretty well adv. technique, you can play without them for the fairness. But in pokemon there isn't advance techniques, only strategies, that's why i call them idiots)

I hope mi post is clarified enough so i don't have to put a flame shield. Basically: Try to not sound elitist. If a casual plays with you, play the game the casual way, for fairness. Then, try to teach them the competitive mode to play. If them flame, they are scrubs. Before of that, they aren't. If they say they prefer to play the casual mode, they are casual.

PD: it would help me if someone pointed my grammar errors. Thanks ^^

Edit: In my videogames association we do some mini-tourneys. Almost all the people like smash, so there is a lot of people every time. We do competitive and casual tourneys, and both competitive and casual players do quite well in both tourneys (yet, competitive usually gets better places than casuals)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
yoshi fan, you've already proven yourself to be an epic Scrub in another thread (emphasizing how we shouldn't use "broken" and "cheap" tactics and glitches like wavedashing). I call Epic Failure on that.

asdfasdfaw

Smash Rookie
Can anyone honestly think of 5 different people you know who owns the first generation Nokia N-Gage? I honestly can't. I mean seriously, I don't even think I've ever seen one at a Best Buy! Someone name five people who own a first generation Nokia N-Gage right now (of course I have to know them too or it doesn't count) or the Nokia N-Gage clearly does not exist. We must dispel the myth of the Nokia N-Gage.

asdfasdfaw

Smash Rookie
Oh, to further clarify the rules, the owner of said Nokia N-Gages must have been seen at Smash tournaments.

asdfasdfaw

Smash Rookie
They also have to have three arms and drive Bentleys now that I think about it. Or none of it counts.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can anyone honestly think of 5 different people you know who owns the first generation Nokia N-Gage? I honestly can't. I mean seriously, I don't even think I've ever seen one at a Best Buy! Someone name five people who own a first generation Nokia N-Gage right now (of course I have to know them too or it doesn't count) or the Nokia N-Gage clearly does not exist. We must dispel the myth of the Nokia N-Gage.
No one has claimed Nokia N-Gage owners exist in great quantities, though. And no one's claimed Nokia N-Gage owners run around Smashboards a lot posting a lot.

Becuse if they did to such an extent it warranted tons of posts and even threads each week (I've seriously seen at least 1-2 per day) to complain about the overrepresentation of N-gagetards on Smashboards, then at least one person should be able to remember 5 of them.

If not, then there really can't be that many of them running around the Competitive Smash scene and on Smashboards, now can they?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
For example, this post is very elitist.

Smashboards isn't filled with scrubs because of brawl. They are newbies.
Just thought I'd point out that, as stated earlier in the topic, Scrub = People who complain about adv. techs. Now, excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I joined Smash Boards(lurked for some time longer) right before all the "newbies" as you'd like to call them flooded in, and most of them meet the "Scrub" criteria, because they just read Encyclopedia Dramatica(ED) and say "Hey, this is completely true!", or listen to someone preach what ED said.

Scrubs isn't a permanent condition, and its easily reversable. Its not elitest, its just what it is. Calling people who denounce Adv. Techs as not being useful to the game, and refusing to see reason, newbies, is not fair to those just starting out in the smash scene, who are actively learning and understanding everything they can.

Does it have a negative connotation? Of course it does. No one SHOULD be a scrub. Its a close minded loop, which does nothing to make you look better, and can only stand to embarrass you at some point by saying something stupid like "Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers are worthless characters and pieces of crap."

Just to make an example of the above and commonly found Casual quote, its the Newbies who, when told of WOPs and Wobbling, Rising Pound and Desyncing, they decide to learn, because they KNOW it'll make them better.
Scrubs say, "No, Jigglypuff and IC suck, and so do Adv. Techs. Its just cheating. I can be better than most people without them."

-DD

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Nice straw man, ace. You can verify that first generation nokia n-gages have been sold via sales reports. You can't point to any data to show that competitive smashers tend to be elitist *******s. It's a stereotype, in the same way you might say "black guys like chicken."

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Bottom line, when you go around saying "TOURNEYTARDS DON'T DESERVE BRAWL" you're the one being elitist.

asdfasdfaw

Smash Rookie
No one has claimed Nokia N-Gage owners exist in great quantities, though. And no one's claimed Nokia N-Gage owners run around Smashboards a lot posting a lot.

Becuse if they did to such an extent it warranted tons of posts and even threads each week (I've seriously seen at least 1-2 per day) to complain about the overrepresentation of N-gagetards on Smashboards, then at least one person should be able to remember 5 of them.

If not, then there really can't be that many of them running around the Competitive Smash scene and on Smashboards, now can they?
Time and time again you show an amazing ability to completely ignore the actual meaning of what anyone writes and consistently take things quite literally. Granted it's through text so the sarcasm might have been lost, but it completely astounds me that you are unable to grasp the reason behind why I was asking for people who have seen three armed N-Gage playing Bentley drivers at Smash tournaments. And you thinking I was actually seriously looking for that (and actually arguing why I shouldn't be seeing three armed N-Gage playing Bentley drivers at Smash tournaments) shows either a complete lack of logic, common sense and quite frankly, any sense of humor whatsoever.

I like participating in some forums because they encourage decent discussion, builds an online community and is contributed by at least half intelligent people. Instead here I see a million page thread on what to call "short hopping," whether "shield release" is an "advanced technique" or not and inane stupidity on "elitist competitives."

The mods should have shut down a thread like this on page one.

Oh, and Yuna, I bet you suck at Smash too.

Flame all you want, I'm not coming back to this thread so I don't care. Reading this makes my head want to explode.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

Flame all you want, I'm not coming back to this thread so I don't care. Reading this makes my head want to explode.
LOL @ Yuna sucking.
<,< Now I don't know if hes coming back or not, because the sarcasm was lost in the text.

>.> 90% of people saying "I'm not coming back to this thread" usually do. Or at least Lurk it.

<.< Also, 73% of all statistics are made up.
-DD

D

Deleted member

I dont hate casuals, i just hate the idea of games being made for them, aka the wii, seriously? im pretty sure these people havent been buying games since theyve been born, they dont eat sleep and drink video games. nintendo is forgetting about hardcore gamers to try to make everybody "equal." there is only one game for the wii that can even be called a hardcore game, Super Mario Strikers Charged, because of the ammount of adv techs it has.. even brawl has been dumbed down to make it less "cheap" for casual or bad players.

we need to petition nintendo to not forget who actually follows them like a religion T_T

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Time and time again you show an amazing ability to completely ignore the actual meaning of what anyone writes and consistently take things quite literally. Granted it's through text so the sarcasm might have been lost, but it completely astounds me that you are unable to grasp the reason behind why I was asking for people who have seen three armed N-Gage playing Bentley drivers at Smash tournaments. And you thinking I was actually seriously looking for that (and actually arguing why I shouldn't be seeing three armed N-Gage playing Bentley drivers at Smash tournaments) shows either a complete lack of logic, common sense and quite frankly, any sense of humor whatsoever.
I missed nothing. I simply eloquently explained how inane your argument was.

Also, you totally missed the point of the challenge in the OP (and as later detailed in, oh, 3 other posts and a reply direction at you). I guess you can't be blamed for that because you're you.

I like participating in some forums because they encourage decent discussion, builds an online community and is contributed by at least half intelligent people. Instead here I see a million page thread on what to call "short hopping," whether "shield release" is an "advanced technique" or not and inane stupidity on "elitist competitives."
Then how come I've yet to see any decent discussion come out of your fingers?

The mods should have shut down a thread like this on page one.
It's quite funny that the mods actually agree with my standpoint and have argued it as well.

I suck at many things. I suck men, even. But not at Smash. You migh tbe able to beat my PAL Sheik... maybe.

Let's see how long this lasts.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
There is something I really hate above all else and that is making racial assumptions.
Whenever people start making really stupid assumptions based on race or country I can't help but have a violent desire to just mash the living **** out of their face until they are a puddle.

Just to just crush the living **** out of your argument though I shall entertain myself.

1. I am Puerto Rican so being racist against another spanish person is stupid. GO DIE
2. I did not know bugball was spanish so GO DIE
3. Smash is an international game why in the hell would they NOT have tourney's in other countries? GO DIE
4. GO DIE

I admit I was wrong not thinking bugball was competitive but that is because he isn't well known on the English smashboards and people tend to keep their minds on their own countries state of affairs in competition since it isn't often that you have an international tourney for a video game.

Your stupid, moronic, ignorant assumption that I considered him not competitive because of him being from another country just really makes me burn. I can usually forgive assumptions since they usually go on something but this was far from such a case. GO DIE.

Freaking overly zealous patriotic shmucks.
Well, I clearly demostrated that he was competitive in my second message on this post. So go and eat your flames, you stupid ignorant moron.

EDIT: I know one guy that had the N-gage. There were 2 million N-gages sold in the world. Now, do the math.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
mookierah...what makes you think im against that? where did you ever get that from?
This isn't the first time I've brought up something about what you said and you reword it later. You might want to proof read your post before posting, cause honestly your arguments so far have made it seem like you are just angry at the competitive scene for beginning to start the trial and error process of establishing rules for Brawl.
what am i complaining about, other than how people are using melee as a crutch to make up brawl rulesets. thats my only problem.
We aren't. There are some people that may complain about Brawl not holding up to melee's standards and whatnot, but that doesn't mean that the entirety of the competitive scene feels that way and/or making rules to make it as close to melee as possible. If that was the case we would actually consider high gravity mode... which we aren't, and the thought of that makes most of us cringe.
I love competitive brawl. I WILL be playing brawl competitively. I just want brawl's competitive scene to be the best it can be.
Just give it time and it will work it's way out.
I don't back Yuna in his arguments because we are friends on the boards, I back him because I think he is right most of the time. If I thought he was wrong we would debate about it in a civil manner and we would either meet at a point or agree to disagree. You have the wrong idea if you think that I'm backing certain people just because they lean competitive.

Jesus, it sounds like we are dicussing politics.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Note: Stupidity is usually not tolerated. Just because some Competitive Smashers might have flamed some Casuals who've posted some truly stupid things does not mean they're flaming the entire Casual community or hate the Casuals as a whole. There's stupidity everywhere. Just like if I punch a girl tomorrow, it doesn't mean that I hate all women everywhere.

I'm sure there will be people who will challenge my claim of this myth being false. Before you reply, though, take my challenge:
Name 5 Competitive Players (must be verifiable, I mean, Sephiroth Smasher 29449, does that
really sound like a Competitive Smasher to you?) who are Tourneyidiots (do not use the term "f*g" in my presence!) or Elitists.

I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?
Great, you missed the entire reason this so called "rumor" came about.

It has nothing to do with "verifiable" competitive players and everything to do with tourney"idiots". It has nothing to do with it not beign isolated flaming events.

The casual community often tries to post things about Brawl here about how they, say, like the fact that there is no wavedashing in Brawl or prefer 64 to melee, and they get flamed for it. Or they get flamed for thinking they're better than you. A ridiculous idea, sure? But a lot of people have egos and are just as entitled to their opinion of "I can beat anyone" as you are to "competitive smashers can beat anyone who isn't". One's more based in reality than the other, but they're both simply assertions that may or may not be true.

What is this ego-filled person going to do, once flamed? Complain about it.
They're limited encounter with the larger smash community here turns sour quickly because they're just as arrogant as the rest of you, with a possible lack of skill to back it up.

But how do you know that anyone saying they hate wavedashing or prefer 64 to melee is bad at the game?

How do you know that?

You don't.

You're elitist, you just assume that all casuals suck horrendously at the game.

That's where the rumor comes from.
Whether or not that's what you ACTUALLY feel, in threads like this, that is the attitude you give off and that is where the rumor comes from.

Perhaps PE will report to his friends that competitive smash is filled with assshole elitists because that's exactly the attitude presented to him in the thread: "Your opinion is wrong and you deserve to be flamed and chased out of here."
Thus, that's how the rumor starts.

On a side note, threads complaining about the so called "casual/competitive battle" are far more annoying and common than any of the actual events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom