• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Myth of the Elitist Competitives

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
yuna said:
Again, never once did I claim they didn't exist. I claimed their numbers are far smaller than perceived by some.
that still doesn't make any sense, yuna. you begin by equating the "Myth of the Competitive Elitist" to urban legends, effectively implying that you think they don't exist. in fact, throughout your post you imply this, or that the number is so small as to be irrelevant.

futhermore, even assuming that what i've just said is not the case, what does "their numbers are far smaller than perceived by some" even mean? perceived by who? what numbers exactly are we talking about? how many have been purported by these nebulous mobs?

this whole "argument" is way, way too vague.

in any case, the most important part of my post you ignored. ;) it was the last paragraph.

peace. i recommend you abandon this course of action and reassess your position.

iclackgud

Smash Rookie
What irony? The fact that he mispelled something? How horrible.
Was I talking to you? Let me quote the ironic part again to help you with this so-called "reading comprehension." Even I wouldn't pull out the "learn to spell" card.

I recommend looking up English writing and practicing since if this is the very idea of which you are getting from Yuna's post, then you have failed miserably.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think it's rather impossible to be an elitist when one isn't competitive. Sorry, I guess I should have clarified what I meant by "competitive".
Then explain to me why a lot of people deem it necessary to tell us that we are playing the game wrong. The people who hold these views DO actually feel they are better than us for feeling the way they do. That was the entire point of what I said.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Why the f#&$ is Bugball not a competitive player? Only because he is spanish?

There are actually tourneys outside of America; and in Spain we have Smash Bros. tournaments. The third best spanish Smash Bros. Melee player, K-12, is a friend of mine.

Bugball is known here, look at this:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142361

There is something I really hate above all else and that is making racial assumptions.
Whenever people start making really stupid assumptions based on race or country I can't help but have a violent desire to just mash the living **** out of their face until they are a puddle.

Just to just crush the living **** out of your argument though I shall entertain myself.

1. I am Puerto Rican so being racist against another spanish person is stupid. GO DIE
2. I did not know bugball was spanish so GO DIE
3. Smash is an international game why in the hell would they NOT have tourney's in other countries? GO DIE
4. GO DIE

I admit I was wrong not thinking bugball was competitive but that is because he isn't well known on the English smashboards and people tend to keep their minds on their own countries state of affairs in competition since it isn't often that you have an international tourney for a video game.

Your stupid, moronic, ignorant assumption that I considered him not competitive because of him being from another country just really makes me burn. I can usually forgive assumptions since they usually go on something but this was far from such a case. GO DIE.

Freaking overly zealous patriotic shmucks.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
yuna said:
Again, never once did I claim they didn't exist. I claimed their numbers are far smaller than perceived by some.
that still doesn't make any sense, yuna. you begin by equating the "Myth of the Competitive Elitist" to urban legends, effectively implying that you think they don't exist. in fact, throughout your post you imply this, or that the number is so small as to be irrelevant.

futhermore, even assuming that what i've just said is not the case, what does "their numbers are far smaller than perceived by some" even mean? perceived by who? what numbers exactly are we talking about? how many have been purported by these nebulous mobs?

this whole "argument" is way, way too vague.

in any case, the most important part of my post you ignored. ;) it was the last paragraph.

peace. i recommend you abandon this course of action and reassess your position.
I like this guy. I say we give him an internet or two.

Seriously, a vague argument with vague examples against a vague generalization by a vague number of people gives us....... what exactly?

/thread.

khaijiao

Smash Rookie
That maybe I had a good reason to punch that specific girl?

I'm sorry, but where in the thread have I ever even alluded to Casual players being inferior to Competitive players? I've simply stated that certain people exaggerate the number of Competitive elitists in existence.

The only reason why anyone would take offense to that would be if they perceived I was insulting them because they themselves exaggerate this.
I know my post was really long and confusing for you, but maybe you should go back and read my post carefully, then tell me where I accused you of claiming casual players are inferior to competitive players. I'm telling you carefully now Yuna, by creating this topic you're instigating this pointless argument. You seem to claim a sort of "Objective" approach to this topic even though you come of blatantly as an elitist d-bag, the very kind that you're so convinced are a scarcity (Was it that they don't exist, or they're rare? Oh yeah, you changed your mind so we don't really know) on the boards.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
And what about the times when she IS right and everyone else IS wrong? What then? Is that a matter of elitism? Or is it just a matter of having her facts straight?

If she's right then she's right, and flaming her isn't gonna change the fact that she has her **** together and the flamer doesn't. That's not elitism. That's just the way it is.

Now, if you give me a case where she doesn't have her facts straight, then that would be a different story. But since you were kind enough to point out "flaws" in her logic, then I thought it fitting that someone should return the favor for you. ;D

"Watch out for false prophets... By their fruit you will recognize them." ~Matthew 7:15-16
Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
(Proverbs 26:12)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Then explain to me why a lot of people deem it necessary to tell us that we are playing the game wrong. The people who hold these views DO actually feel they are better than us for feeling the way they do. That was the entire point of what I said.
lol I'm not trying to argue with you. In fact, I agree with you that there are people like that, and they annoy me just as much. But, that still stems from competition- they are, in a sense, competing with the "professionals", albeit idiotically, to prove that their way of fighting is better. I'm not justifying either side, I'm just pointing out that an elitist attitude stems from a competitive nature, no matter what the actual competition is.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
(Proverbs 26:12)
Proverbs ISa pain in the ***. (Master_SL 666:666)'

Sorry I had to do it.

This whole argument is pointless since people tend to forget the whole point of the OP.

Apparently it also appears that when you point out flaws in someone's logic you therefore are elitist.
*sigh*

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
The topic at hand is not whether there are a lot of Competitive players who are elitists in general but whether or not there are a lot of Comptitive Elitists. That is that and this is this.
We obviously have different definitions for that compound.
My definition is not narrow because the topic at hand is about these people specifically. Elitists exist everywhere. People think they're better than others for a lot of reasons.
Obviously.
However, the topic at hand is the claim that there are many Competitive Elitists who look down on Casuals and think they're better than them simply for being Competitive. And yes, this has been stated repeatedly by a lot of Casuals (I will quote at least five of them tomorrow when I have the time to sift through the forum).
I haven't seen many of those. I never claimed I did.
What you personally define as a "tourneyidiot" has no bearing when we're talking about the clinical meaning of such a person. Someone could think "homosexuality" equates to "child molestation". Does not make it so.
Yes but if it is a vague term that can have multiple interpertations then it is valid. Don't compare apples to oranges.
I've never called people stupid for their opinions. I have, however, called people stupid for their reasons for thinking like they do. I also usually only directly call people stupid once I've tried to reason with them with them either ignoring me or failing to at least acknowledge my points or just blatantly flaming me back. I treat all people equally when I first encounter them unless the post I reply to is entirely stupid (like "Homosexuality is sinful and wrong! Ew!"), without emotion. If they reply to me in a stupid way (repeatedly), then I might start considering them stupid.
Haven't seen much of that.
But I have never said "You're stupid!" (or anything of the sort) the first time I replied to someone's post.
Second reply.
"Most Scrubs are, however, Casuals, yet a few are Competitives." does not equate "Most Casuals are Scrubs". Reading comprehension is very important.
Agreed.
It is a verifiable fact that most Scrubs are Casuals because of the very nature of a Scrub. A Competitive Player will do everything in their power to win because they play to win. They'll use anything that isn't banned to win. As such, they cannot be a Scrub because Scrubs not only refuse to do anything "cheap", they whine when others do.
Wait. Wait. Wait. A tourney player saying that a casual player shouldn't ban things. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. OMG that is the funniest thing I have heard all day.
However, still, a select few of the Lower Tiers of Competitive Players (as in "The ones one or the ones who are just slightly competitive") are Scrubs. But the majority of Scrubs are Casuals. This does in no way mean that the Majority of Casuals are Scrubs or that Casual = Scrub.
And the majority of elitists are competitive. WTF is your point?
And I've already explained this in this thread.
Yep.
Based on my conversation with Sliq all I know is that he is a **** tht feels the need to state that he can beat any casual in every post. Sounds elitist to me.
Quote or it didn't happen.

Quote me a post where Sliq has put Casuals down for being Casual. Stating that "[he] can beat any Casual" is just stating that "I think I'm really, really good". Stating that "I can beat any Casual because they suck since they're Casual!" would be elitist.
Never said he did. He stated multiple times that he could beat any casual player even when I never said he couldn't and even agreed with him. Also constantly saying you can beat someone needlesly is elitist I believe.
However, Sliq can come off as an ******* from time to time. But I've never seen him putting down Casuals just because.
The thing is both of you guys are quick to be *****. Really quick. Then you ask for examples of something I never claimed you had while doing the thing I claimed you did do. Which is be *****.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The thing is both of you guys are quick to be *****. Really quick. Then you ask for examples of something I never claimed you had while doing the thing I claimed you did do. Which is be *****.
lmao qft lol cya

God, I love the internet language :D

Foxy

Smash Master
The truth: The myth popped up because many players who treat the game with a competitive attitude insult and look down upon casuals.

These players are not truly competitive. People could give you a million instances of random players insulting casuals, but not a single tourney-goer with hold that mindset. One simply precludes the other.

WHY THE MYTH HAS BEEN SUPPORTED

- Many people believe that a player is competitive if they oppose casuals. This is clearly a really dumb assumption. Just because someone insults one group does not mean that they belong to another.

And such, no real competitive players have committed such acts.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Stating that you can beat someone is not elitist.
The tone as well as the delivery of the sentence is highly important.

For example in MP:H I KNOW I can beat packers.
I KNOW i can beat F5 Alex but that does not mean I am elitist.

I only become an elitist if I say, I will pwn you because all casual players are losers because they cannot compete with anyone and therefore suck. Basically any ignorant statement. It can come from casuals speaking to another casual or a casual speaking to an elite player.
=
People do tend to come off as jerks when they get heated and moreoften than not when I ahve seen Yuna and Sliq they usually have good reason to. Saying Yuna is a **** is basically ignoring any reason for him behaving the way he does towards others. This is especially important seeing as you have quoted him several times of why he would react heatedly towards others.

Stop quoting needlessly please, granted I know there is nothing wrong with it. It does tend to be pointless when you are agreeing with someone. Pet peeve don't mind it

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
You know why this myth is around? Because people are naturally victims. When someone insults someone they want to blame the person while not being at fault. This leads to believeing that they were insulted for being casuals and that the insulter, insulted because he was a competitive. Everyone on the internet is a martyr.

themutt22

Smash Cadet
You know why this myth is around? Because people are naturally victims. When someone insults someone they want to blame the person while not being at fault. This leads to believeing that they were insulted for being casuals and that the insulter, insulted because he was a competitive. Everyone on the internet is a martyr.
This is true, but it doesn't only apply to casuals :) . Come on, we're getting closer!

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Well, ALL spanish pros (or MOST of them, excepto 1 or 2) are SOOOOOOO elitist. I'm going to puke.

Then, you can see for example the outrage of the high gravity mode for tourney's creator. He stated "all people who dislike this were noobs in melee".

And there's a lot others. But i don't read all the forum every day.

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Yay!! On actual debate forums I have to deal with so much reverse racism posts and "us christians are being oppressed" that I have realized that everyone ont he internet feels victimized by something or another.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
And the majority of elitists are competitive. WTF is your point?
Actually, the majority of elitists are scrubs. They are typically the self-proclaimed competitive players. These are people that we (competitive players) would have called n00bs. When myself and many other competitive players saw the "high gravity mode" thread that yoshi fan just pointed out... we had a collective face palm. These are the people who make the competitive scene look bad, but do not really reflect the competitive scene much at all.

Also, lol at "christians being oppressed."

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yay!! On actual debate forums I have to deal with so much reverse racism posts and "us christians are being oppressed" that I have realized that everyone ont he internet feels victimized by something or another.
Soon as Yuna gets back though it'll all start over.

Quick! Unsubscribe! Before it's too late!

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I have read about K-12 and these people. Yeah, these people ARE the elitist.

Even I have a MP i received from him with a eltist meaning in all that.

Everybody hates them.

Yeah, i'm not competitive, because i defend casuals. However, i use adv. techniques, edgehog, and all these things (not play with items, only some scenarios for practicing).

Really, please, if you want 5 eltist competitive people, go to spain. There is a dozen actually.

Edit: well, i'm going to fix a bit of my post.

I heard that they went to an USA tourney, and they lost in the first round.

*laughs*

So yeah, these arent competitive elitist. They just are elitist morons xD

Edit 2: For the sake of not count-posting-spam, i did a double edit.

Yes, some competitive elitist are competitive scrubs (in a way). So I agree with mookiehrah and others. But Yuna made a statement in the second page (or eight, i don't remember).

Being competitive is to play to win.

I agree with this post. 2 things: this says that being competitive is another way of have fun with the game. So yes: being competitive is to go for the win (but that doesn't mean that you have to do cheap tactics for being competitive).

But... Is Gympyfish competitive or he isn't? Yuna would think he isn't, because he main a low tier character.

In fact, all the people lower-tiered-mained aren't going to be competitive.

I agree with that post. Yet, that post is elitist. You can play to win with your favorite character. You doesn't have to use Fox for being competitive. That's what I think.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Here is my take on this whole dilemma:

- There are, in fact, elitists on smashboards.

- However, they aren't as big of a deal as people make them out to be. Why? because there always are people who think they are better. Its just how it goes.

What people need to do is stop whinning about elitists and to stop stereotyping competitive players as "elitist tourneyf*gs" and suck it up. Because thats also part of the problem.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
About quoting? I only need to do that for huge posts I want to break down or if I am really specificaly replying to a point.
Nope not that one since as I said there is no right or wrong way.
I mean the one where I got pissed at someone pulling the reverse racism card.
Go back to the last page.
Someone insinuated I thought bugball was not competitive because he was in anotehr country.

WTF?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the majority of elitists are scrubs. They are typically the self-proclaimed competitive players. These are people that we (competitive players) would have called n00bs. When myself and many other competitive players saw the "high gravity mode" thread that yoshi fan just pointed out... we had a collective face palm. These are the people who make the competitive scene look bad, but do not really reflect the competitive scene much at all.
Yep. When someone is an ******* in one way it tends to lead other ******* qualities to him. I never read that thread but I could tell that it was stupid.

Also, lol at "christians being oppressed."
Srsly. "You don't want to teach creationism in schools because there is no evidence? Oppression!" "You want to take under god out of the pledge because it is unconstitutional? Oppression" "You want to give gays rights because they are people as well? Oppression!" "You want to allow abortions because of a right to bodily domain! Oppression!" It is really funny.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Honestly, all these terms:Scrub, n00b, elitist, ect. are just describing people who view a person as inferior for their style of play and force their style onto others. The percentage of casuals who are scrubs are quite small, it's just that there are a lot more casuals than competatives, and the scrubs are the ones most likely to post on smashboards. Likewise the number of elitists is also very small indeed, and many people are wrongly labeled as elitist. You are not an elitist if you are defending your style that was insulted by someone else. It's when you impose your way of play on someone else, or say that their way of play is wrong, that you should be labeled by any of those terms. It's much more common to see scrubs bashing competative play than elitists bashing casual play, but that's simply because even if scrubs make a small percentage of the casual population, that small percentage is still a big number in comparison to how many competative players there are in general.

Sure competative players can get a bit defensive, but that's because of the scrubs who keep bashing our way of play, especially on the brawl boards. They keep asking us to have tournaments with items, or use smashballs, or allow certain stages, but we don't want to. It should stop right there, but then they ask for reasons. So, just to be understanding, we provide reasons for them in hopes that they might see things from our perspective. But then scrubs (not casual players) will just undermine those reasons we give and label them as unimportant. So we tell them to host their own tournaments, and then they complain because they apparently can't get one organized for some reason. What they don't realize is that it's just as hard to organize competative tournaments. And yet they want us to host tournaments specifically catered to them?

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Nope not that one since as I said there is no right or wrong way.
I mean the one where I got pissed at someone pulling the reverse racism card.
Go back to the last page.
Someone insinuated I thought bugball was not competitive because he was in anotehr country.

WTF?
Ah. Reverse racism is silly. It is just racism. Not reverese. The term reverse racism is racism in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom