• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Myth of the Elitist Competitives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, a lot of people talk about elitist Competitives as if there are quite many of them.

If there are so many, then at least one person should be able to remember 5 separate elitist competitives (names not needed). Can you remember 5 people? Can anyone else? I mean, there's supposedly so many of them.

And you don't have to go to tournaments to encounter elitist competitives. You can also encounter them here on the boards. So, putting both tournament experience and board experience together, can anyone remember 5 different people (names not required)?
The problem with this is that you basically stated yourself that if they can't come up with a name then they don't have an true credibility and that they might as well be making that up... You basically created a trap which only goes to support your arguement that virutally no elitests exist.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you honestly think that a rumor or urban legend can possibly ever be pinned down to one single person? Tell me who first started the stereotype of the incompetent manager, who invented the wheel and who discovered that sugar can go well with coffee, and I'll show you who came up with this rumor.
"Seriously, who" is a figure of speech.

I've never directly met someone who lives in Somalia... but I'm pretty sure they still exist.
Have you ever seen one of them talk online? And if there are so many of them at tournaments and on the boards, you'd think someone claiming "Tons of Somalians exist!" would've seen at least 5 of them.

Maybe they're too elitist to post on here.
Then how come so many people complain about "too many elitist" posting in the Brawl forums? Yes, they do.

Again, while not an analogy I would have used, the Klan reference still holds in my eyes. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I never said they don't exist. I said they don't exist to the extent people claim they do. If they were so common, you'd think at least one person could name 5.

I hate to say it, but I can think of one elitist. And it's not that hard to see. This entire diatribe is elitist in itself. Your posting history also reflects that. Every time I see a response with your name on it (dude, the liberal usage of the quote tags doesn't help) is always a rebuttal of somebody's post. You have a very "anything other than my opinion is wrong" mentality is inherently elitist. Some people consider some people elitist. So what. And yet again here we are with you going on and on and on about how everyone else is wrong and how you're right. Remember, one man's "elitist competitive" may not be your version of an "elitist competitive."
Because why else would I post? Why would I post something like "Everything is dandy"? Of course a lot of my posts are rebuttals.

But I never say "You are wrong for being Casual", I pointificate and explain why I think they're wrong using facts and anecdotes. I never say "You are wrong just because". And what do you know, most of the time, unless I conceede defeat, I'm right (as corroborated by others).

It's called researching your facts before posting something like "Final Smashes aren't broken at all! They should be allowed in tournaments!" or "XXXX character's moves is too good/too broken/too sucky" or whatever.

Learn to accept other people's points of views and stop dismissing any thought and idea other than your own as immediately incorrect. There's also another group of people in the 1930's and 1940's in Europe that hated people who didn't believe in what they did... but I digress.
What if they are incorrect? There are things such as "Subjective view" and things such as "Verifiable facts".

While the perception that there are a lot of Elitist Competitives out there who hate Casuals for being Casual is subjective, it's a verifiable fact that such a perception is wrong. The Elitist Competitives are small in numbers... and they don't even come to these boards (and especially not these parts of the Bords) most of the time (so how so many Casual players could possibly have encountered so many of them is a mystery to me).

Yet, there are so many who talk about them as if they were running rampant, everywhere. Some even generalize and say that most Competitive Smashers are elitists (I could quote 10+ people if I actually looked).

But really, what the burning question is in my mind is why you are so angry at everyone?
I'm not angry at everyone. In fact, while I use biting sarcasm, most of my posts are civil and remain civil unless the person I reply to exhibit rampant stupidity or are general pricks to me (repeatedly).

Merfy

Smash Rookie
*jaw drops*

... that, my friend, was an astounding first post... I take it you're used to arguements like this? :laugh:
4channers can argue quite well, you know.

But then, Yuna. There you have it.
Dylan
BugBall
The one I met, Kyle
And yourself.

That's 5.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Do you honestly think that a rumor or urban legend can possibly ever be pinned down to one single person? Tell me who first started the stereotype of the incompetent manager, who invented the wheel and who discovered that sugar can go well with coffee, and I'll show you who came up with this rumor.
The inventor of the wheel was probably a neanderthal possibly homoerectus.
lol j/k
Decent point but that isn't the whole point of the topic

I've never directly met someone who lives in Somalia... but I'm pretty sure they still exist.
Good? Are you sure God exists? bigfoot? In your case with the somalia sentence that is because the person actually EXISTS and it is factual that they exist.
Yuna is challenging you to prove that the whole of elite smashers are elitist or the majority of the elitist smashes are competitive.
Your point being?
*facepalm*

Maybe they're too elitist to post on here.
On the largest smash based site? Where casuals go the most?
No that logic doens't work.

Thanks for telling me what elitists do. What would I do if you weren't here to tell me what's generally common sense?
Possibly since people also tend to mix up what an elitist is. Don't mock something when you yourself have possibly proviuded the definition of a term.
Does knowing what a purine is common sense?

Again, while not an analogy I would have used, the Klan reference still holds in my eyes. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
unicorns, fire breathing dragons, God shall I go on?
All those things mentioned have been known to exists and at one point or another have been seen or known to exist.
You're right. There is stupidity everywhere. I'm glad you recognized that.
Don't quote needlessly.
Tad hypocritical but you need to know.

No, it doesn't.
I don't know. People tend to be capable of naming 5 people who hate the whole gay marriage idea by name or at least where they are from and what forums they frequent.
Tends to be a bit more specific.
I hate to say it, but I can think of one elitist. And it's not that hard to see. This entire diatribe is elitist in itself.
*facepalm*
Your posting history also reflects that. Every time I see a response with your name on it (dude, the liberal usage of the quote tags doesn't help) is always a rebuttal of somebody's post.
Wrong. That is a subjective idea in itself and quotes tend to be moreaccurate since it also dictates WHO said it especially when those quotes are on other pages.

You have a very "anything other than my opinion is wrong" mentality is inherently elitist.
Um *facepalm*'
I have yet to see anything from Yuna lack any logic and be solely elitist.
i.e. You are nubz for playing casually.
I ahve yet to see him debate anything without backing up his argument or proving it with logic.
Elitists don't go out of their way to prove themselves right and I know there are points in Yjuna's posting history in which he has admitted being incorrect.
Simply because someone has the time and coherence to back up their argument doesn't mean they are elitist.
Some people consider some people elitist. So what. And yet again here we are with you going on and on and on about how everyone else is wrong and how you're right. Remember, one man's "elitist competitive" may not be your version of an "elitist competitive."
Read the OP, if you need help I can provide a book callled dealing with dyslexia since this is surely NOT the attitude or tone of voice that he brings with his argument.
Learn to accept other people's points of views and stop dismissing any thought and idea other than your own as immediately incorrect. There's also another group of people in the 1930's and 1940's in Europe that hated people who didn't believe in what they did... but I digress.

But really, what the burning question is in my mind is why you are so angry at everyone?

Since this is my first post I expect you to conveniently ignore this post entirely or I'll see everything here quoted and argued with, thus completely missing the point of why I bothered writing this in the first place. But if you can't figure that out on your own, then I'm not sure how much more I have to say about this.

I dictate the rest of this post as irrelevant and simple fecitious babbling fit for the spam forum. I recommend looking up English writing and practicing since if this is the very idea of which you are getting from Yuna's post, then you have failed miserably.

Simply put Yuna's post says this./
The myth is that the competitive smashers are ALL elitist. (this means the majority)
This is obviously not true. If there are so many elitists please name 5.

He isn't saying that there are NO elitist smashers but that so far as he has seen none of the competitive smashers are elitist and if there are, they make up an inredibly small minority and are very quiet about it.

Dylan
BugBall
The one I met, Kyle
And yourself.
bugball=/=Competitive player
yuna=Logical smasher who doesn't behave elitist
Kyle?=State who he is and if he is a competitive player above the level of casual
Dylan= same as above
5150=troll

I must go for now I have a test to study for. I'll be back if possibly G BYE

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Attitude problem=/= elitest.

I believe that an elitest is someone who condems a player for their prefered method of play. A competative elitest would be someone who doesn't like a certain person because the play casually. However, if the competative player is simply in a defensive in response to the casual telling him that his style is somehow wrong, then the competative player is completely in the right and is not elitest. He may have a bad attitude towards that specific person, but he is not an elitest.

Fastest

Smash Ace
No other game meshes this many different people in a competitive atmosphere.

You're going to get a lot of egos crushed and feelings hurt because of this. I don't think the myth is the result of elitist gamers putting children down. However, at least for my part, I try to be as condescending as possible when I post.

1) The game appeals to a wide range of people. You're going to get children fighting adults.
2) Smash's competitive learning curve is very high compared to other games. There is lots of room for people to whine and complain about things they've never seen being "cheap" (sirlin.net mofos!).
3) Smashboards itself has a very immature fanbase. The quality of posts on this forum is very very very bad. I'd guess 99% of the posts here wouldn't last 30 seconds at shoryuken.com.
4) Combine immaturity, with the difficulty of becoming good, and you've got a recipe for discontent towards the elitists! Not the other way around.

At tournaments I've been:

1) Yelled at for chain grabbing.
2) Called explicits for edge guarding.
3) Had my match canceled 1/2way through because the person was so upset that they left.

Yet, I've done nothing to these people except play a game with them. You see, it's not the elitists that hate the casuals...it's the other way around.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem with this is that you basically stated yourself that if they can't come up with a name then they don't have an true credibility and that they might as well be making that up... You basically created a trap which only goes to support your arguement that virutally no elitests exist.
I've stated this twice now. This will be the third time.

The requirement that you name them is no longer in. Can anyone here honestly say they remember 5 separate elitist Competitive Smashers who do any of the things that I outlined in the first post? Names not required. Of course, people could cheat.

But I'm taking away the naming requirement to see if there are any people who can honestly say they remember 5 separate Smash elitists. It's, still, however, a lesser challenge to remember 5 elitists you can name. But it's a separate challenge, nonetheless.

I haven't seen them either Yuna. I think people just disagree with your opinion that brawl isn't as competitive as melee (which is totally cool, its your opinion...you have the right to think what you want). But perhaps you should hold out on your opinion. Competitive melee wasn't made over nite. It took a long time. A long long long time...advanced techs didn't pop up until (at the very earliest) after a ton of competitions were held. Once AT's were found, word started spreading, people started practicing them, and it became common knowledge that Wdshing, l canceling, and so forth were integral to being a successful melee player. But it took a while, and for all we know brawl could be deeper than melee. it could be multiple times deeper. But it's not going to happen over night. it'll take months and maybe longer of competitive play to fully unearth all the layers of competitive brawl. And i think thats what people (although some in a really rude way), have been trying to say.

i think :)
I don't to sound rude, but what does my opinion of Brawl's tournament viability have to do with the myth of the large number of Smash Competitive Elitists in existence?

Merfy

Smash Rookie
I wasn't insinuating anything if that's what you're suggesting. Really, how was my comment a blanket statement?
I was not suggesting anything of the sort. I just have my suspicions that he is from 4chan. Who probably came here with the intent to argue. If my suspicions are correct, it would be no wonder he was fairly good at arguing.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, as I am sure you need not be reminded, 5 have been named in a previous post to mine. But let me remind you that it would be a statistical impossibility and fallacy to say that no one videogame scene has AT THE VERY LEAST one player that is arrogant and elitist in their mindset, disabling your "Competitive elitists do not exist at all". Granted, you did say to name 5, but in your overall post you made it seem as if there existed NO elitist in what some may call the "competitive" side of the Smash scene; which as I have stated before, is an impossibility.

In the process you yourself have made yourself look at the very least somewhat half bad. You might want to calm down and reword your following statements, thankyou.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
To answer your question Yuna, no I haven't met 5, but then again I've never viewed elitism as high spread issue anyway. I've met one, it wasn't from this forum, and it wasn't a Smash Brother's player anyway. It was a SF II player :laugh: So that's probably beyond the point anyway.
Yeah, it is ;).

4channers can argue quite well, you know.

But then, Yuna. There you have it.
Dylan
BugBall
The one I met, Kyle
And yourself.

That's 5.
Who is this Kyle? Is he even Competitive (striving to become good at the game to a level beyond "I play sometimes and can beat most people I meet)?

And your argument fails because your 5th name isn't a Competitive Elitist. I do not dislike people nor have I ever expressed a dislike of people who aren't Competitive and/or Casual. I have never insulted someone simply for being Casual. I have never said or even thought of Competitives as more worthy as human beings than Casual. I have never used "Casual" as a **** or "Competitive" as an expletive. I have never... and the list goes on and on.

I have expressed distate for Scrubs, however. Scrubs are vile breed. Despite what some people think, a Scrub is not the same thing as a Casual. Most scrubs are, however, Casuals, yet a few are Competitives. Scrubs are stupid and should be groundstomped whenever encountered.

Still, and I have to stress this point, Scrub =/= (<-- this means "Is not the same thing as") Casual.

Simply being a Competitive Smasher and putting down people for being stupid (most of them Casual, some Competitive) does not make you a Competitive Elitist. It makes you someone who dislikes stupidity.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'd be remiss if I didn't add that a couple of people came to the CCL thread in Tournament Discussion and flamed simply because we were proposing an alternate playstyle. I had even specifically stated in the OP that flames would not be tolerated. I'd put up quotes, but they're both on my block list.

I'll be back in a sec with the names, if you'd like.

EDIT: They were masterspeaks and everlasting yayuhzz. I've never heard of them (not suprising, because I don't go to tournaments yet), and I don't know if they are competitive players or not, but I'm guessing yes because they were in the TD forum.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Yuna, you answered your own question just now.

The "Elitist Tourneyf*g" is to the Competitive Player, what the "Scrub" is to the Casual.

If there's a "Casual extremist" thread on Smashboards, the Casuals in the thread get called "Scrubs". So, in reverse, "Competitive extremist" threads are run by the "Tourneyf*gs"

They're both the extreme insult to call either side of the play field. If you're a Casual, you may not be a "Scrub", but if you're pissing me off I'm going to call you a "Scrub". If you're Competitive, you may not be "Elitist", but if you're pissing me off I'm going to call you a "Tourneyf*g".

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, as I am sure you need not be reminded, 5 have been named in a previous post to mine. But let me remind you that it would be a statistical impossibility and fallacy to say that no one videogame scene has players that are arrogant and elitist in their mindsets. Granted, you did say to name 5, but in your overall post you made it seem as if there existed NO elitist in what some may call the "competitive" side of the Smash scene; which as I have stated before, is an impossibility.
It failed because the 5th name isn't a qualifier.

And I also never claimed there existed no elitists. In fact, I mentioned repeatedly that while there exist some, the numbers are small. I'd think it was obvious I acknowledged the existence of elitists with the repeated mentions of "there are very few of them".

Add Sliq on there and I think you just pwned.
Quote one single post where Sliq puts down Casuals for being Casuals, uses "Casual" as a slur or "Competitive" as an expletive, says he thinks Competitives are better human Beings than Casuals, etc., etc., anything that shows he thinks being a Competitive is better than being a Casual or anything of the sort.

And one single post of mine where I do the same. Meanwhile, I can quote at least 5 separate posts of me made in this very same month where I make it clear I have absolutely nothing against Casual Players and that I am, in fact, myself a Casual Player of many games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Talking down to me like a child won't exactly help your arguement...

The requirement that you name them is no longer in. Can anyone here honestly say they remember 5 separate elitist Competitive Smashers who do any of the things that I outlined in the first post? Names not required. Of course, people could cheat.

But I'm taking away the naming requirement to see if there are any people who can honestly say they remember 5 separate Smash elitists. It's, still, however, a lesser challenge to remember 5 elitists you can name. But it's a separate challenge, nonetheless.
Really, this thread is basically going around in a circle because there are people flooding in here that automatically agree with you because of 1. your rank and post count (people often dismiss this but I've been a part of a decent number of forums and have seen time and time again that this plays an extremelly large role in how people feel about another person's opinions) and 2. probably most of the people actually posting in this thread are tournament go-ers (granted, it's not to say that they are trying to bury this conception merely to cover their own butts but it does make a balanced arguement extremelly hard). Really, maybe its just because of the "audience" of this particular board that it's like this. Obviously, if this were on some place like Game FAQs, it'd be completely different. Still, I don't think this is going to go anywhere...

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
I have expressed distate for Scrubs, however. Scrubs are vile breed. Despite what some people think, a Scrub is not the same thing as a Casual. Most scrubs are, however, Casuals, yet a few are Competitives.
And yes, you can't possibly tell me that there are less than 30 competitive elitists out there in the world for any given game, it's impossible. Also, don't go around calling most casual players scrubs when you wouldn't want casual players like me going around saying most competitive players, such as yourself, are scrubby arrogant elitists. It's just being hypocritical, really, you're turning into Tnga.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
bugball=/=Competitive player

I must go for now I have a test to study for. I'll be back if possibly G BYE
Why the f#&$ is Bugball not a competitive player? Only because he is spanish?

There are actually tourneys outside of America; and in Spain we have Smash Bros. tournaments. The third best spanish Smash Bros. Melee player, K-12, is a friend of mine.

Bugball is known here, look at this:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142361

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it is ;).

Who is this Kyle? Is he even Competitive (striving to become good at the game to a level beyond "I play sometimes and can beat most people I meet)?

And your argument fails because your 5th name isn't a Competitive Elitist. I do not dislike people nor have I ever expressed a dislike of people who aren't Competitive and/or Casual. I have never insulted someone simply for being Casual. I have never said or even thought of Competitives as more worthy as human beings than Casual. I have never used "Casual" as a **** or "Competitive" as an expletive. I have never... and the list goes on and on.

I have expressed distate for Scrubs, however. Scrubs are vile breed. Despite what some people think, a Scrub is not the same thing as a Casual. Most scrubs are, however, Casuals, yet a few are Competitives. Scrubs are stupid and should be groundstomped whenever encountered.

Still, and I have to stress this point, Scrub =/= (<-- this means "Is not the same thing as") Casual.

Simply being a Competitive Smasher and putting down people for being stupid (most of them Casual, some Competitive) does not make you a Competitive Elitist. It makes you someone who dislikes stupidity.
There are so many things to say about this.

1. I wasn't talking about competitive elitists I was talking about elitists who were competetive.

2. You aren't a competitive elitist, you are a human elitist that happens to be competitive.

3. You look down on people you view as beneath you. Elitist

4. You use the term stupid about people who disagree with your opinion and not just facts.

5. Please define scrub again. As well as elitist.

Iwan

Smash Ace

I don't to sound rude, but what does my opinion of Brawl's tournament viability have to do with the myth of the large number of Smash Competitive Elitists in existence?
lol no it's cool...i was simply stating WHY people are saying these "elitists" exist, and some even claiming you to be one (you aren't...and i haven't seen them). They don't agree with you're opinion of brawl not being as competitive as melee was, so much to the point that they either argue or flame.

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
I know one, his name is something like Sadahiro Inui (not sure on first name spelling but Inui is right). He has very elitist posts on palutena's army thread on the Pit forum. Note I'm not a whiny casual player (casual yes) but I'm just pointing it out.

Dragon7507

Smash Ace
I don't understand the whole point of all the fighting about competitive vs casual. We all play the same game, just people play it differently. Casual players just may not want to dedicate so much of there lives to one game. I am an ex Tourney goer. I have been to a lot of tourneys and have gone to a few states for smash, but I got married and that all changed. I didnt have time to be as competitive. I can still play at a competitive level, but dont go anywhere expecting to destroy anyone. But yeah, me and the whole Omaha/NE crew/smashers have never been discriminative. We started out with 6 smash players that would go to tourny's, but we always were looking to pick up new players and train them to be better. We never had an "Elitiest attitude" because that limits the people who you play. The whole point is to enjoy the game, and by getting angry or telling people they suck is pointless, because no matter how good you are at the game,in the beginning, we were all scrubs, or noobs.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Add Sliq on there and I think you just pwned.
Sliq is not elitist.

He is simply a mother****er. A mother****er that flames around, insults people when he gets mad, etc.

But wait! This is not what an elitist is. An eltitist would take a look, see that the poster likes to play with items, then proceeds to flame the **** out of him.

Sliq has never done anything like that. The closest to that would be when a casual player and/or scrub says that the tournament scene is all wrong, they should play with items, and Sliq proceeds to flame.

Another thing that should be noted, Sliq doesn't simply flame like Dylan used to (btw, he's really nice now, hasn't attacked a casual in ages), he logically reduces every argument the casual player has to smithereens. He disguises all of this in a barrage of flame and ****, but he still reasons very well, if you look carefully enough.

Lots of the same goes for Yuna, which is why Yuna is also not elitist.

Merfy

Smash Rookie
Attitude problem=/= elitest.
Actually, that's exactly what an elitist is. Your attitude is such that you think you are better than other people.

As to other people in this thread:

And the competitive elitists I hate are not necessarily the ones that are defined under your terms. A competitive elitist is someone who is both an elitist and competitive. Your definition is too narrow. Consider this. I assert that I am the only smart person in existence. Then I define smart as being me. Now, using my logic, none of you are smart.

This is, of course, not true. I used a definition inconsistent with the widely used term, as did you. Not being a 'casual elitist' like me, you have no clue what I consider to be a tourneyf*g. Therefore, it is necessary to use the most simple of terms, defining a competitive elitist as someone who is both competitive and elitist. On those definitions, the names given do in fact count. Because you do not see yourself as elitist, when you say people's OPINIONS are stupid, you do not understand the definiton of elitist. If you openly bash things you find as stupid, (which incidentally, seem to be things you do not agree with) you are elitist. I am going to assume you are competitive. Therefore, you are a competitive elitist.

iclackgud

Smash Rookie
I recommend looking up English writing and practicing since if this is the very idea of which you are getting from Yuna's post, then you have failed miserably.

Oh, the sweet irony.

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
Sliq is not elitist.

He is simply a mother****er. A mother****er that flames around, insults people when he gets mad, etc.

But wait! This is not what an elitist is. An eltitist would take a look, see that the poster likes to play with items, then proceeds to flame the **** out of him.

Sliq has never done anything like that. The closest to that would be when a casual player and/or scrub says that the tournament scene is all wrong, they should play with items, and Sliq proceeds to flame.

Another thing that should be noted, Sliq doesn't simply flame like Dylan used to (btw, he's really nice now, hasn't attacked a casual in ages), he logically reduces every argument the casual player has to smithereens. He disguises all of this in a barrage of flame and ****, but he still reasons very well, if you look carefully enough.

Lots of the same goes for Yuna, which is why Yuna is also not elitist.
Based on my conversation with Sliq all I know is that he is a **** tht feels the need to state that he can beat any casual in every post. Sounds elitist to me.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
You cited the wrong "myth". There ARE quite a lot of people around the Smash Community who behave very elitist, both casual and "competitive". Yet those competitives aren't necessarily competitives, but just people who feel high up due to the fact that they (blatant generalization, bear with me) play on Final Destination with no items. These are often horrible people to speak to. I remember one at a game conference, where me and a friend talked about how wavedashing wasn't in Brawl. The guy next to us jumped in and almost yelled: "I bet the next thing you're going to say is that it's a glitch and it shouldn't be in, right? Go back to your Big Blue with Bob-Ombs on high.". These people do exist, and because of those people, the myth started arising that competitive Smash players are, on average, elitist - while the ACTUAL competitive players aren't at all (though some can have notions toward it).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Actually, that's exactly what an elitist is. Your attitude is such that you think you are better than other people.

As to other people in this thread:

And the competitive elitists I hate are not necessarily the ones that are defined under your terms. A competitive elitist is someone who is both an elitist and competitive. Your definition is too narrow. Consider this. I assert that I am the only smart person in existence. Then I define smart as being me. Now, using my logic, none of you are smart.

This is, of course, not true. I used a definition inconsistent with the widely used term, as did you. Not being a 'casual elitist' like me, you have no clue what I consider to be a tourneyf*g. Therefore, it is necessary to use the most simple of terms, defining a competitive elitist as someone who is both competitive and elitist. On those definitions, the names given do in fact count. Because you do not see yourself as elitist, when you say people's OPINIONS are stupid, you do not understand the definiton of elitist. If you openly bash things you find as stupid, (which incidentally, seem to be things you do not agree with) you are elitist. I am going to assume you are competitive. Therefore, you are a competitive elitist.
Elitist is usually defined as unrealistic prespective of being better about something then someone else (In other words, what you do sucks because I say so mentality). If someone using a clear meaning and reasoning it's usually not considered Elitism.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?"

Under this logic, I could argue that the state of Missouri doesn't have any KKK members because I can't name five off the top of my head...
Lmao good logic.

I think this thread, though, is close to useless because most of the "elitists" aren't normally snobbish in anyway. It's when a "n00b" comes on here thinking they know what the competitive players are talking about only to get backlash for talking about somethign they really don't know about, then they get offended, then the constant "YOU FAIL" pictures come up. In the end, everybody gets pissed because a newcomer didn't know something and the vets of the board don't (usually) bother to explain it to the newbie, they just say that they fail or whatnot, therefore sounding "elitist" to the newcomer.

With Brawl coming out, there are a lot of "n00bs" coming to the site, myself included. We're the ones that have loved Melee and are highly anticipating Brawl, but were never on the professional level of Melee. I've known of it, but never bothered to try and become part of it. Now I want to come here to talk about and learn more about Brawl, but I find myself getting the flames of vets occasionally instead of a simple, "No, you're mistaken. Here's what it really means..."

I'm not saying there are elitists, there are simply *******es that honestly think the newbies aren't worth that little bit more time to explain something to them, but they are worth enough time to come up with a clever comeback as to why they're worthless. No, I don't have names, because I don't care to remember any, nor do I care enough about this argument to search the threads for some. But I have been on that backlash, and it sucks. Once I find out for myself how I was mistaken, I feel like an idiot, but if someone had just explained it to me in the first place, pages of flame-spamming could've been avoided.

Merfy

Smash Rookie
The guy Tinkerer mentioned, along with Sliq, makes 7, including Yuna. If you do not count Sliq, you cannot count Yuna, as in essence, they share the same character traits. Even so, you still have 5 NAMES, and thus, your argument is quite refuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom