• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the music thread

debaser

Smash Lord
that bit in mic check when the acoustic guitar comes in is probably my favorite sequence of music for all the rest of time.

bbb

Smash Champion
for some reason I was never really into GY!BE although I've tried listening to a lot of their ****

Jun.

Smash Lord
I think its one of those bands/genres you can't really be "into" because that'll mean that you spend your days listening to 30 minute segments of ambient noise and narration. I basically only listen for the build ups and unique instrumentation.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
who was that guy who promised me a list of his sickest albums and never delivered

joeplicate

Smash Master

SuperRad

Smash Master
godspeed are tight
f#a#inf. is one of those albums i only listen to once every couple of months but it blows me away everytime.

a silver mt zion is pretty good too, but they aren't as MINDBLOWING as gy!be. tracks like blindblindblind and i fed my metal bird... are really good though

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't know too much about the Constellation Records bands, although I have a few albums by GY!BE, A Silver Mt. Zion, and DMST. DMST is probably my favorite band on that label.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm kinda scared to say this but...

I think Ok Computer is overrated. Sure it has some good songs but I don't think it should be #1 on so many best album ever lists. Am I missing something here? Any die-hard radiohead fans wanna prove me wrong right now?

SuperRad

Smash Master
radiohead sucks
adam will come in and say something about how not liking radiohead makes me bad at liking music or something
but really, it's boring as ****
ok computer/kid a never caught my interest, and at this point i've listened to both about 5-10 times and on a variety of drugs
i'm willing to say i will never like them

SuperRad

Smash Master
DUBSTEP ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpCQ437bsE

please for the sake of good electronic music stop listening to hardcore and trance
dubstep isn't much better, from what i've heard
i hung out with my friend who aspires to be a dubstep dj and it sounded like the same ****ing song for like 2 hours straight

but yeah, dubstep is better than trance at least.

SuperRad

Smash Master
in terms of electronic/dance music? not much these days. i got into the electro craze right around the beginning of the ed banger stuff getting big (justice, sebastiAn), but i kinda moved away from that stuff over time. still listen to Justice's album sometimes. the catchy/poppy/sometimes kitschy aspect is favorable to dubstep's 'harder' sound

MIGHTYFOOL

Smash Cadet
haha i used to be all about ed banger stuff.......i switched to more fidgety bass house after the whole catchy electro craze haha....i love everything ive just been trying to make dubstep recently.....so ive been all about it.haha

Adam M!

Smash Lord
radiohead sucks
adam will come in and say something about how not liking radiohead makes me bad at liking music or something
but really, it's boring as ****
ok computer/kid a never caught my interest, and at this point i've listened to both about 5-10 times and on a variety of drugs
i'm willing to say i will never like them
i still think that's too soon to say something like "i will never like them." i dunno people write **** off too easily. i mean i still haven't liked de la soul and i've been trying to like them for five years, but every time i listen to de la soul is dead i expect to like it. it took me over a year to realize how amazing 36 chambers was. i just keep trying and sooner or later it clicks and i'm in love.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I second Adam. Can is one of my favorite bands, but it took me over a month to like each of their three best albums (Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days for anybody who is curious). As another example, I didn't like Nick Drake's Bryter Layter at all the first several times I heard it, but after forgetting about it for over a year and giving it another shot later, I enjoyed it much more and now I think it's great.

I'm listening to Continuum's recording of some of Conlon Nancarrow's works (creatively titled Continuum Performs Nancarrow) right now. I love the huge variety of classical music from the 20th century. I need to learn more about modern classical music, though; the only modern composer I follow at all is Thomas Adès.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I've actually been looking into Nancarrow myself. I like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-35zLQiQR7I
I was also researching other musical scales like Bohlen-Pierce and various microtonal stuff. Julian Carrillo has some interesting works, he was apparently nominated for a Nobel Prize in Physics also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1hDGHNAsCE

I have come to a similar conclusion as Brian regarding Radiohead. I don't think he means to say that he will definitely never like them, just that it's unlikely.

joeplicate

Smash Master
LMFAO that video

we went over to a friend of a friend's house on 420 (at night) and hung out with some really weird guys. we played the cardgame 'bang' (not very fun) and one dood showed us pon de floor. he then went on to talk about how in jamaica people randomly start humping on the streets like this, except 100x more explicit.

FUN NIGHT

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I have come to a similar conclusion as Brian regarding Radiohead. I don't think he means to say that he will definitely never like them, just that it's unlikely.
yeah but then you get to a tricky slippery slope of self-fulfilling prophecy. like even fi you think you 80% probably will never like them that's still going to affect your listening experience. and despite what people say it's very hard to be like "oh just because i say i probably won't like this doesn't mean i'm listening with a 100 percent opening mind." any negativity means you're gonna be thta much more likely to notice anything you dont like and ignore what you do.

Top Bottom