• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the mind of marth

legion598

Smash Ace
ignore the title i thought it sounded cool. Basically im just saying marth is quite possibly the most complicated and versatile character in all of brawl specifically he has the tools to play any style. U can be defensive or offensive at any time so basically marth can counter pick on his own by simply changing ur play style to fit the opponent. Some people may say meta knight poses a threat to marth but i say all u have to do is counter pick a play style during the match to fight his play style. And although this concept is important to all characters i think its even more so important to marth. Be flexible at all times and dont be afraid to switch up ur style in the middle of a match i think this very simple mind set helps all to be a better marth

3xSwords

Smash Lord

No offense but was this really necessary?

I mean I really didn't learn anything new, besides information that applies to all characters equally. Also I will have to tell you Marth is neither the most complicated nor the most versatile character in the game.

Marth is just "good" nothing more nothing less.

legion598

Smash Ace
i disagree i think he has the tools neccisary to be more flexible then any character. Anyway i posted this cuz it seemed like a good way to tell people how good marth is. And since this is the marth board it seemed like a good place to put it. Besides boards are for people to post threads and read threads if no one likes this thread feel free to ignore it

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Ok?

1. Use periods in your posts please... I barely understood what you were saying lol.
2. I don't get what you're trying to say, Marth can adapt? The same can be said for pretty much all characters.

legion598

Smash Ace
im simply saying he is more adaptable to any situation then probably any character and therefore a mindset of flexibility could help a person use marth better

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
ignore the title i thought it sounded cool. Basically im just saying marth is quite possibly the most complicated and versatile character in all of brawl specifically he has the tools to play any style. U can be defensive or offensive at any time so basically marth can counter pick on his own by simply changing ur play style to fit the opponent. Some people may say meta knight poses a threat to marth but i say all u have to do is counter pick a play style during the match to fight his play style. And although this concept is important to all characters i think its even more so important to marth. Be flexible at all times and dont be afraid to switch up ur style in the middle of a match i think this very simple mind set helps all to be a better marth
BLAH BLAH BLAH too long boring not reading getting out

legion598

Smash Ace
by saying u have to be really good automatically makes him incapable of being an easy character. and by complicated im referring to all the mindgames and strategies u can use at any given time.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree and say Marth is one of the most straightforward characters in the game. His attacks are blunt and his mindgames are, well, not so complicated. But I do agree that switching up your playstyle during a match is a must.

Edit: Some of the posters here are vicious. Ignore them.

legion598

Smash Ace
^thank you for expressing an opinion civilly and yes ive noticed this everytime i make a post people seem to just want to make me look stupid for no reason

legion598

Smash Ace
ya i dont see how u can call him easy hes the hardest to use correctly out of my entire group of characters i main i use marth, ike, shiek, and CF by the way, well before this thread dies perhaps there could be a mindgame/strategy discussion in which we discuss some of are favorite strats, just a suggestion after all this thread is called the mind of marth

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
lol@people saying Marth is an easy character to play
With Marth, all you need to know how to do is spacing, mind games, and have to the ability to read your opponet. He's basicly about control. He's just like MetaKnight -- know wtf you're doing and be good; then you're good with him. Only difference Marth actually has to work hard against some characters.

But then, I could always be wrong and not know wtf I'm talking about.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Please, NEVER compare marth to meta knight in terms of ease of play. Never. Mmmk?

Marth is far from a pick-up-and-play character where as other characters are just that. And never bring up mind games in a discussion like this, they are intangible and are certainly not what makes a character good. It's just stupid to bring something up like that.

Speaking of mind games, people use that term way too loosely imo. You people don't really say to yourself in the middle of a match, "ok, i'm going to perform a mindgame now because that's what makes my character good!".. right?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
With Marth, all you need to know how to do is spacing, mind games, and have to the ability to read your opponet. He's basicly about control. He's just like MetaKnight -- know wtf you're doing and be good; then you're good with him. Only difference Marth actually has to work hard against some characters.

But then, I could always be wrong and not know wtf I'm talking about.
Reading the opponent well...needs to be done with all characters.

Spacing for tippers when you need power and staying inside of the blade to keep the opponent close.

Using proper moves in the right situations (you cant spam a marth really, idc if anyone says dancing blade, they can shield)

Marth cant spam a kill move to win, you need to predict every game, you have to time your moves perfectly, with metaknight you can just continously jam the c-stick down and voila!! A ko. :laugh:

Marth has no projectiles so you need to learn to approach spam as well.

There is soooo much to Marth its not even funny. One time my friend told me Marth is all dancing blade...lulz, then I picked MK and he changed his mind about Marth. Im not even a good MK player (and I hate using him), MK is just good.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
Saying new players can't pick Marth up easily is wrong. Newbies will find success far more easily with Marth than with some other characters. However, progressing gameplay to a higher level is more difficult with Marth than with some other characters, but making that progress yields high returns.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Dude you were wrong in your previous post saying all the posters before your post were "vicious" and you are wrong here thinking Marth is a pick and play character.

I'll give you the classic example of a "pick and play" character: Ike. Powerful and punishes easily. And you can spam with him and win as a noob. To progress Ike to a higher level is more difficult than some other characters.

Really with Marth it's learning to play him in the beginning is hard, because there is a key emphasis on spacing and complete knowledge of your moveset. As mentioned before you can't really spam with Marth in order to win. However, once you master this you won't have as hard of a time in competitive play because that's all Marth really has. And it only matters how effectively you can execute.

I think many people are confusing Marth to be a very easy character to play in the beginning b/c they are very familiar with him from Melee. However, don't make that mistake, if you were a true noob Marth would no doubt be a hard character to play.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
First, I wasn't solely referring to the Marth boards as vicious. If you haven't noticed many people on SWF put down others like it's their business. Example: I admit I do get a bit irked when I see that a new member hasn't searched, but a simple nudge in the right direction would do.
Also, if you read the post after my first, the original poster obviously got the impression that he was "attacked". So who's actually wrong here?

I do agree with you that people may have confused Marth because of their familiarity with him in Melee, including me. But a new player would fare far better with Marth than with other characters. I am arguing through relativity. His disjointed hitbox and reach are candy for newbies.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Gonna have to agree with ixdnL on this one. Marth is definitely one of the easier players for a noob to pick up and play due to his hit boxes, and the fact that a lot of his attacks can kill decently. He is also pretty quick and has good aerials. Nobody is saying he is easy to play at the high levels, but at the noob level, marth is definitely more friendly then a lot of other characters.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth can't roll around and spam smashes and hope to do ok for himself.

Therefore he is not noob friendly IMO.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^Truth lol

Yeah ixdnL I know some people are rude and such but it's not going to get us anywhere by just stating the obvious. But I should also apologize as I was a bit on an edge in both my posts b/c of problems in real life, so sorry don't take it too badly. :)

Remember don't feed trolls.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
3xSwords: It's all good. I hope you clear the problems.

zelda_master_timmy: I do see your point. But at least the TL got owned. ;]

legion598

Smash Ace
well something i have trouble with especially is to know when to do a particular form of one move. lets take the f-air for example in what situations do i use a weaving f-air, a SHFF f-air, or the double f-air brick wall, thats 3 different ways to use a single move and i find it tricky to know when to do them

∫unk

Smash Master
What this thread is talking about is a character having options... and if you look most of the top/high tier have a lot of options.

Marth may or may not be slightly more versatile but who cares. I've never felt limited playing the other good chars, as opposed to playing someone like falcon.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
I had too make my own guide to fix his.

1.Guide to wining

you need to master these skills.

1.Don't die.
2.Kill More then the person your fighting(add this with lesson 1,)
3.CALL JOHN(he will call you back.)

This guide was more helpful then yours.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I love the smell of spam in the morning.

Anyway, I fought M2k yesterday. If you think Marth has ALL the tools you need to beat Mk, you definitely need to level up. Furthermore, I think my mindgames (and that term is used too liberally. I blame Gimpyfish) are simple, but you do what works. Actually, MOST mindgames are simple. What you might refer to as a "complex mindgame" I'd probably call a bad idea, lol.

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
I love the smell of spam in the morning.

Anyway, I fought M2k yesterday. If you think Marth has ALL the tools you need to beat Mk, you definitely need to level up. Furthermore, I think my mindgames (and that term is used too liberally. I blame Gimpyfish) are simple, but you do what works. Actually, MOST mindgames are simple. What you might refer to as a "complex mindgame" I'd probably call a bad idea, lol.
wow whats with everyone thinking mew2king is so good hes not that gr8 please dont namedrop him like hes so good like look i saw ken at evo and he was so good he did the ken combo which is my favorite combo what you do is a forward swipe in the air and then a dunk for the kill for proof on how much better ken is just ask urself is there a m2k combo ya i dont think so but theres a ken combo

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
wow whats with everyone thinking mew2king is so good hes not that gr8 please dont namedrop him like hes so good like look i saw ken at evo and he was so good he did the ken combo which is my favorite combo what you do is a forward swipe in the air and then a dunk for the kill for proof on how much better ken is just ask urself is there a m2k combo ya i dont think so but theres a ken combo
Don't even use the word combo. No such thing in Brawl that works every single time. Ken had his time in Melee, he's decent/good at Brawl, but M2K is great.

me2king1xx0

Smash Rookie
ya ken had his time like cocnclu sively said but even then mew2king was still beter like especialy now tho but still ya/

nd yes ther is a mew2king combo!! its up throw 2 spike not dunk like u say noob dunk is stupuid

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
WOW ME2KING

u had me rly mad yesterday but not anymore i just have to say one of my favrote marths Backlash (im sure uve heard of him) says d-air (btw what is this is he tryin to say deer) to dunk (which is when marth does the downward special in the air) so its definitly a dunk ok up throw 2 "spike" is ok i guess but just not that cool as ken combo and i hav never heard of it so dont play games iv been looking at smashbords for a looooooong time and mew2king combo has never come up okay

me2king1xx0

Smash Rookie
ummm ya nd u no why it never came up????

CUS MEW2KING IS HUMBLE!!! unlike ken he just does nothingbut glotes and brags hes not a roll modal at all

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
ok but ken is as gr8 as michael jordan tiger woods roger federer (even tho he lost i was kinda sad i think it was a fluke) and mayb michael phelps and allt hose guys brag but its not braging its just confidence when ur the best (whcih ull never b but just imagine for a sec lol) then ull understand u can say anythin cuz ur the best

me2king1xx0

Smash Rookie
umm no? mew2king has confidnce AND HES HUMBLE just like derek jeter since weere mentingong athletes now

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ken Is Good. Not The Best But Good. Keep Fighting And I'll Make Sure You Both Get Banned. M2k Is Good Too. You Guys Are Ruining Marth Boards Right Now. It Doesn't Matter Who Is The Best. Take This To Pm If You Want To Continue This Discussion. The Marth Boards Don't Care About Your Argument!

sephiroth_fan

Smash Cadet
derek jeter is trash he plays in a stupid team game where u can b fat and stil win nothin like smash where u need mindgames ok i don like ur 1 line responses u think ur so smart but ur not okay ken is smartr than u and ur boyfrien lol and if mew2king combo exist where is the vid thats all i have to say to that except it doesnt exist lol

me2king1xx0

Smash Rookie
ike is solid ummmm u need 2 stop spaming were trying 2 have a discusion about pro smash wich u kno notihing about nd ur just anoying us now so stop pls or ill report

Top Bottom