• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott!

Smash Lord
well thats not exactly what i meant.... i dont think making a random world and throwing link in is really gonna help.... It could even remain in hyrule as long as there is DIRECT Continue from where the story was left over.....it could even feature the same characters but not with the same plot....i mean what about if Zelda WASNT ACTUALLY CAPTURED AGAIN?..... i know i know..... im just dreaming..... but what if they found out for example that the world of hyrule has been connected with the twilight realm so when
midna broke the TMirror
the worlds started getting apart which would result in complete destruction of the worlds...... or if
the sols had never been returned to the TR so that realm would be destroyed
and link ALONG with Zelda (key word along = new gameplay with zelda's powers) had to forge a new
Twilight Mirror
or something to prevend this stuff.... and ganon while not physically back takes advantage of the situation so if the two realms are destroyed this way...well i dont know.... perhaps he consumes the TR to make a powerfull body and rules the ruined world of hyrule? here u got AN EXAMPLE of what i mean to continuie the story and not repeat it with another way, keep the characters and the backround and JUST continue it.......so simple...... like a The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2

Sidenote: as an extra bonus i added AN EXAMPLE of how interestingly they could take the new plot to their advantage to create new gameplay (only if zelda didnt need rescuing could this be managed)

and besides MM plot was also good and inspiring

u shouldnt forget though that wat u and the rest thread have in common is that ur both casuals that think of ways in which the game would be better....

but nintendo differs in many facts.... for example they cant risk ruining the game, miyamoto is the creator and maybe he wont wanna change his current ideas or the imagination he had of how the game would be, it may be harder to make a game giving u the sense of LoZ while its practically a 90% different thing.....
Well, we are just fans dreaming of what we think about where the series should go. What we say doesn't really have any bearing on the game, unless Miyamoto secretly reads the boards. And he doesn't. But Spire III said before, though I don't know the source, that they have stated that TP was the last Zelda of its kind, and to expect something different in the future. We're just running with that, looking at what they've done in the past, and guessing what they might do. I didn't seriously think that Nintendo thinks the same as us, though. I'd just like to imagine they do.

However, you say that it's hard to make such different concepts feel like Zelda. While it is a difficult task, they're done a good job so far. Look at Wind Waker. It's completely different from all Zelda games before it in many regards. I don't think having Link go to a new world is any more of a radical departure than having him on an ocean. It was just so different, having all those islands to explore rather than one world. And it really worked well, and ended up being one of the best entries in the series.

Now, I also think it's much more likely they'll throw Link into a random new world than keep him in Hyrule if the next game is a follow-up to TP, which is what I expect. It's worked for them in the past. I mean, just look at how oftent they've done it. They do it often with their first forays into new handhelds. Just look at LA, OA, OS, MC, and PH. Every single original handheld Zelda was in a new world. (Original meaning I don't count the ALttP port or others.) Now, there is a big difference between handheld and console Zelda. But look no further than MM. If it were not for the fact that I played OoT first, MM would be my favorite. It is an amazing game. And it has little to do at all with the normal Hyrule story, at least superficially. Even Wind Waker could be seen as Link in a different world, because even though it was kind of technically Hyrule, it was nothing like the Hyrule we know and love. And both of these games were refreshingly different. I also share a special love for LA, since it was my first Zelda. They do a great job of changing teh formula while keeping it Zelda. I just don't see them staying in Hyrule if the game is going to be very different from all that came before.

Kind of long and rambling, but that's what happens when I start talking Zelda. But back on topic, it's all just speculation on our parts, but it's the best guess I can make. Until we see something from Nintendo (soon please) we can only imagine. I could be completely wrong, at which point, I'll be totally excited for whatever they've surprised me with.

Darkslash

Smash Master
well thats not exactly what i meant.... i dont think making a random world and throwing link in is really gonna help.... It could even remain in hyrule as long as there is DIRECT Continue from where the story was left over.....it could even feature the same characters but not with the same plot....i mean what about if Zelda WASNT ACTUALLY CAPTURED AGAIN?..... i know i know..... im just dreaming..... but what if they found out for example that the world of hyrule has been connected with the twilight realm so when
midna broke the TMirror
the worlds started getting apart which would result in complete destruction of the worlds...... or if
the sols had never been returned to the TR so that realm would be destroyed
and link ALONG with Zelda (key word along = new gameplay with zelda's powers) had to forge a new
Twilight Mirror
or something to prevend this stuff.... and ganon while not physically back takes advantage of the situation so if the two realms are destroyed this way...well i dont know.... perhaps he consumes the TR to make a powerfull body and rules the ruined world of hyrule? here u got AN EXAMPLE of what i mean to continuie the story and not repeat it with another way, keep the characters and the backround and JUST continue it.......so simple...... like a The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2

Sidenote: as an extra bonus i added AN EXAMPLE of how interestingly they could take the new plot to their advantage to create new gameplay (only if zelda didnt need rescuing could this be managed)
[/qoute]

That sounds ALOT like your Typical Twilight Princess sequel Fanfiction. I'm sorry but that doesn't seem to work out much. The SOL's lended their power to the Master Sword. Seeing it only works in the Twilight Realm. There's other ways of getting into Hyrule from the Twilight realm. Zant didn't know where the Mirror was, and he went from Hyrule to Twilight.

u shouldnt forget though that wat u and the rest thread have in common is that ur both casuals that think of ways in which the game would be better....

but nintendo differs in many facts.... for example they cant risk ruining the game, miyamoto is the creator and maybe he wont wanna change his current ideas or the imagination he had of how the game would be, it may be harder to make a game giving u the sense of LoZ while its practically a 90% different thing.....

Miyamoto dissapointed in Twilight Princess

Aonuma won't quit until he makes a Zelda game surprassing Ocarina of Time.

They them selves where dissapointed with Twilight Princess. Now after reading that, I seriously don't think that they'll make another Ocarina of Time clone. If they don't want to contradict them selves they'll make a Zelda that blows OoT out of the water.

EDIT:
Well, we are just fans dreaming of what we think about where the series should go. What we say doesn't really have any bearing on the game, unless Miyamoto secretly reads the boards. And he doesn't. But Spire III said before, though I don't know the source, that they have stated that TP was the last Zelda of its kind, and to expect something different in the future. We're just running with that, looking at what they've done in the past, and guessing what they might do. I didn't seriously think that Nintendo thinks the same as us, though. I'd just like to imagine they do.
Miyamoto was dissapointed with TP(see above) and Aonuma won't see a retirement plan until he makes a Zelda surprass OoT AKA Getting GoTY from every non baiased game website, getting 9.5-10 scores, and making fans scream out in praise and worship.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they really need to take Zelda to a whole new genre if they are going to surpass OoT. Sure they could make another game in the 2D view point, but that's already been done and it'll just be in the shadow of A Link to the Past.

I really think there should be a Legend of Zelda RTS. Of course, a traditional real time strategy is a tired formula that has remained mostly unchanged since Warcraft Orcs and Humans, That doesn't mean that there was never any improvements to the RTS genre or that there can't be; Intricate models of rock paper scissors were developed to reflect effectiveness of different kinds of weapons and armor. Warcraft III added a roleplaying element by letting players summon a hero that could obtain and use items, and could level up.

For Zelda, there are several things that could be done to really set it apart from every other RTS. Darkslash had suggested the ability allowing players to switch from an over view, to an individual view allowing players to control units individual, (with a hot button to switch between units or to the overview quickly and efficiently) perfectly for more precise micromanagement (and maybe allow for a some traditional 3D zelda gameplay to creep into there). An RTS could also bring to Zelda a competive multiplayer.

The best thing an RTS could do that a traditional Zelda game cant do is express a lot of Hyrule's story that otherwise remains total fan speculation, such as the great war or the events leading up to the great flood, (or lack there of, as this is where the differences in the timelime become very large). Really, that is likely what Miyamoto was disappointed with for TP, TP had great gameplay, but it's story was just a rehash of OoT (which really just echoes the first Legend of Zelda as far as the core story is concerned). Of course he may also be disappointed with TP lack of difficulty too... Nah, it's definitely the lack of original story and character development.

Scott!

Smash Lord
@Darkslash: those two interviews are enough to make me pretty confident that the next Zelda game, no matter what it is, will be awesome. TP was a darn good game. If we didn't already know the whole plot before we played it, it would have been amazing. If they are disappointed with it and want to beat the dethronable OoT, then I'm ready.

@SuperRaccoon: While I'm not necessarily opposed to a Zelda RTS or some other similar type of thing, I do not want that to replace the current adventure, puzzle style of the Zelda we've come to know and love. Meaning, I don't want that to become the next installment, but it would make for an excellent spin-off game/series. It would be an excellent way of telling a part of the history of Hyrule that doesn't have a Link in it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The one thing I really wish the developers would change is the green tunic and stupid green elf hat. I know they are Links trademarks, but even in his WW pajamas Link looked cooler than in the "Hero of Legend" outfit.

EDIT: Incidently, I don't know how much better you can get than Twilight Princess. On IGN it is currently the best game on the wii top 100, and all things considered, a lot of people liked it better than OoT (myself included). The only change I would have made is tougher boss battles.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I really wish the developers would change is the green tunic and stupid green elf hat. I know they are Links trademarks, but even in his WW pajamas Link looked cooler than in the "Hero of Legend" outfit.
But, I like the elf tunic :link:

EDIT: Incidently, I don't know how much better you can get than Twilight Princess. On IGN it is currently the best game on the wii top 100, and all things considered, a lot of people liked it better than OoT (myself included). The only change I would have made is tougher boss battles.
And everything that makes Twilight Princess awesome also makes Ocarina of Time awesome. TP holds all the same gameplay mechanics as OoT, which was also used in WW. Sure there were a few items that were different, but you still equipped them to the same general button location, and they show up on the same spot on screen. Fighting has remained (mostly) untouched. A button is still held to target an enemy, and a single input still swung Links sword. The dungeons still followed the same formula, (move blocks, find switch, work your way around the maze, get new item, do special puzzles that incorporate new item, fight boss, rinse and repeat). All of this is undeniable fun.

For a lot of people (apparently this includes Aonuma) they look at OoT and TP and admire OoT more because not only is it freaking awesome, but OoT was freaking awesome first! Yeah, though, it's hard to beat perfection (basically every 3D Zelda).

Spire

III
BRoomer
Man, a ton of great input on all of your behalves! Rather than quoting and responding to particular segments of your posts, I'll simply hurl a general response.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA is an epic, just as many a tale such as Beowulf and King Arthur, who've long since stood the test of time, changing through the transcriptions of languages and cultures, eventually bestowing the world with many different iterations of the same story. This is what The Legend of Zelda is - one story retold over and over in different forms with the passing of time.. Essentially, it, too, is a conglomerate interpretation of many of our own world's legends and epics.

So essentially, LoZ = AoL = ALttP = LA = OoT = MM = OoA = OoS = WW = FS = FSA = MC = TP = PH ≠ CD-i.

I think that Nintendo should develop three Zelda games:
  • Zelda Wii
  • Zelda DS
  • Zelda WiiWare (OoT/MM graphics)
Either Zelda Wii or Zelda DS should be a sequel to TP. Zelda WiiWare should be an entirely new game, related to the OoT-MM arc or not. They already have the resources to make it, so it wouldn't be all that difficult and time-consuming.

If Zelda Wii is a sequel to TP, then Zelda DS needs to start an entirely new handheld arc, starring neither TP, Toon, or Oracle (ALttP/LA/OoS/A) Link. If Link is even in it at all, then he should be completely redesigned. Zelda DS could potentially be an updated version of OoT also, with enhanced visuals, new areas/regions, new enemies, items, bosses, dungeons, and potentially playable characters. We've all played OoT, so why not exploit it?

~ Zelda Spinoff Games ~

We need these. Period. Not in lieu of the Mario spinoffs however, but rather venturing into genres relevant and progressive towards the series (honestly, the Mario spinoffs have had little-to-no impact on the main series). We need Zelda RTS and Zelda Fighter (perhaps semi-Smash Bros style).

ZELDA: RTS - Like SuperRacoon stated, a Zelda RTS game could cover so much ground in the fictional history of Hyrule - all of the time periods without Link. The Great War, The Great Flood, Ancient Hyrule (a time long, long before anything we've ever known, perhaps with ancient civilizations), etc, etc. There's infinite possibilities with it.

ZELDA: FIGHTER - a classic genre of gaming - one that has graced arcades and living rooms alike for years and years. Nintendo has never really established its own traditional fighter (besides the long-since dead Joy Mech Fight, and the pseudo-fighter, Smash Bros), and Zelda would be the perfect candidate to adopt this genre. Consisting of well known and beloved Zelda characters from across its history, an incredible customization mode, allowing for character creation, specialization, etc, etc (similar to Soul Calibur), a wonderful, lengthy story mode, along with arcade, and any extra game modes, this would be the ultimate fighter. I'd buy a few copies to support.

Well, that's that. Can't wait to hear back from you guys!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Just to let you guys know, using spoiler tags in this thread is pretty much useless. Everybody who is going to play the games have played them by now.

@Spire

You've shared the idea of a Zelda fighter with me before and as I (think) I have told you, I would much rather see a Zelda MMO first. Of course, the RTS idea is always awesome.

Darkslash

Smash Master
You've shared the idea of a Zelda fighter with me before and as I (think) I have told you, I would much rather see a Zelda MMO first. Of course, the RTS idea is always awesome.
Unless you get different quests than every one else...Seriously has any one who played WoW was shocked just as they leave the guy who they just completed a quest for, then completes another one? Are they ripping you off or something?

Also needs Zelda FPS.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I don't know about the spin offs... I mean, Zelda FPS? Zelda RTS I don't see it coming, maybe if you were to use the Hyrulean soldiers. And again, Zelda fighting game, with what characters? Link, Ganon, maybe one of each race, and Shiek. What a roster.

And about the futuristic Link, weeell I've never been a fan of sci fi/future games, and Link without a sword seems awkward to me...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Who said Link would be without a sword? Spire mentioned steampunk in his post. That means a futuristic setting with swords.

Scott!

Smash Lord
A Zelda FPS would be silly, but probably amazing. Using a bow, crossbow, boomerang, etc in that type of game would be ridiculously fun with friends. Deku Nuts for great win.

A Zelda fighter would be good, though I only say this out of a great sadness that Soul Calibur hasn't been on a Nintendo system since 2 (Legends, of course sucks too much to count.) I just want to play Link in that again, because he was ridiculously fun, and he felt really authentic. Jeez, a Zelda game where you had that many options in combat, or even a fraction of it, would be amazing. But a Zelda fighter would be pretty awesome. I think it should be more of a standard style than Smash, with a life bar (Hearts???) and such. Soul Calibur is the only "normal" fighter I play at all, so that's the only other frame I can look at this through, but I think something fairly similar would work decently well.

A Zelda MMO might be what it takes to get me to play one. I've held off because I don't have the time I know I would give it. College takes too much time for that. So they should hold off till I graduate. Then I'll play.

Concerning Spire's threefold Zelda path: I like it. A lot. I think that if any of the games would be an OoT remake, it should be the WiiWare one. I know the Mario 64 re-release on DS was pretty good, and I would support it with a purchase if they gave OoT that treatment, but I don't know if I want OoT remastered to be on such a small scale. I'd want that on my TV, not in my pocket. Personally, a redone OoT seems to me to be a lower priority; I mean, we did get Master Quest already. The rest sounds good, though.

And, going way back up to the Halloween Captain, I rather like the costume. As long as Zelda is set in a past-like setting, it should stay. If Zelda moves forward, of course it should be altered, but whatever Link wears should at least pay homage to his iconic outfit. It suits him so well. And while TP as a really good game, the only way it beats OoT is visually, probably. I mean, of course I'm biased in favor of OoT. But I really feel like OoT is the better game. TP did everything the same, for the most part. While it did everything just about as well, the relative lack of innovation keeps it out of the uppermost rankings in terms of Zelda games, for me at least. And I loved every second of it.

And I think that covers all the numerous things I wanted to respond to.

EDIT: Nope, people went and posted while I'm typing, so yeah. Link could definitely have a sword in a steampunk setting. He could even have one in the future. Sure, his bow would be replaced with a gun, but having a futuristic sword would be pretty sweet.

pikamon

Smash Ace
I could see a Zelda RTS being pretty interesting, but you'd have to come up with a slew of new things like vehicles and such, which aren't really seen in the games (unless you count Malon/Talon's wagon or the various horses and such. If they did do this, I honestly wouldn't want Nintendo handling it. I don't think, given their history, they'd be able to just step in and make a superb RTS game. Look at Halo Wars---Bungie didn't have experience or the expertise, so they got another company to work on it, and now it looks great, although they did stay close to the project and observe the storylines.

I still think a steam-punk, modern setting would fit well in the Zeldaverse. Speaking of which, didn't Myamoto say that TP would be the last traditional Zelda game for some time to come, and that the next would be completely different?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I wonder what a "non-traditional" Zelda would be.

Also, there is no reason why if the timeline progresses, Zelda games would become "futuristic." In fact, it might be cooler if they took place in the 18th century rather than the 22nd.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Man, a ton of great input on all of your behalves! Rather than quoting and responding to particular segments of your posts, I'll simply hurl a general response.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA is an epic, just as many a tale such as Beowulf and King Arthur, who've long since stood the test of time, changing through the transcriptions of languages and cultures, eventually bestowing the world with many different iterations of the same story. This is what The Legend of Zelda is - one story retold over and over in different forms with the passing of time.. Essentially, it, too, is a conglomerate interpretation of many of our own world's legends and epics.

So essentially, LoZ = AoL = ALttP = LA = OoT = MM = OoA = OoS = WW = FS = FSA = MC = TP = PH ≠ CD-i.

I think that Nintendo should develop three Zelda games:
  • Zelda Wii
  • Zelda DS
  • Zelda WiiWare (OoT/MM graphics)
Either Zelda Wii or Zelda DS should be a sequel to TP. Zelda WiiWare should be an entirely new game, related to the OoT-MM arc or not. They already have the resources to make it, so it wouldn't be all that difficult and time-consuming.
As long as these wouldn't be released at relatively the same time, I'm fine.

I don't think any of the zelda games have been handed to a company other then Nintendo (CD-i doesn't exist :p,...wait). A main reason why there all so good (similarly to the mario main series).

If Nintendo were to be working on 3 different games at once I would hate for one of them to be neglected story wise. I also wouldn't feel to safe with another company making a zelda game (though square enix could do a pretty good job bringing it away from the usual).

Other then that it seems like a great idea.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wonder what a "non-traditional" Zelda would be.

Also, there is no reason why if the timeline progresses, Zelda games would become "futuristic." In fact, it might be cooler if they took place in the 18th century rather than the 22nd.
Because the Zelda games take place in relative history to our own ;)

I'd love to see an "Ancient Hyrule" as I wrote in my last post, detailing a Hyrule before the current one. I'd love to see the Hylians dispersed in tribes before the founding of Hyrule Castle/Town, and of course, the same goes for the other races. Perhaps there was an ancient race long since lost to history. This game could explain the origins of Stallord (featuring him as an enormous, living deity), the origins of The Temple of Time (who really built it - probably the Oocca), and various other things. Ahh, it would be nice.

Maybe they could release dual-games; one in an ancient time, and one in a future time.

Regardless of what's been said above, I have one request of Nintendo. Whatever the Zelda Wii game may be, it better include an unlockable Master Quest mode after completing the game. Not only would it include rearranged dungeons, tougher enemies, and what have you, but also new enemies, bosses, and items (like PSO Ep. 1&2 did on Ultimate), maybe an extra couple dungeons, and much more. Of course, it'd be much more difficult, so all would be much more rewarding, and thus, gives us a great reason to replay again and again and again.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Regardless of what's been said above, I have one request of Nintendo. Whatever the Zelda Wii game may be, it better include an unlockable Master Quest mode after completing the game. Not only would it include rearranged dungeons, tougher enemies, and what have you, but also new enemies, bosses, and items (like PSO Ep. 1&2 did on Ultimate), maybe an extra couple dungeons, and much more. Of course, it'd be much more difficult, so all would be much more rewarding, and thus, gives us a great reason to replay again and again and again.
That's one big request. The original Zelda had it, but it still didn't take much memory up on the NES cartridge -- mind you, most of the game was just you exploring! I'm not sure if that much data can fit on a Wii Disk. I would LOVE for that to happen (I can't even explain how much the idea of extra dungeons excites me). So don't count on it happening... but the possibility of a hidden boss/dungeon in the main game would be nice (and not like those stupid ones in TP where all you got was like an orange rupee).

Maybe a level like Hell from Cave Story. Not part of the main game, but incredibly hard and a challenge for hardcore fans. I bet Miyamoto has both liked and played Cave Story because it's very similar to Zelda and I (believe) he has said that he likes shooters a lot, which Cave Story kind of is...

So who knows?

Skrah

Smash Ace
Ancient Hyrule would be pure win. All the sage/temple of time stuff, how the town was created, the gerudo, etc. would all be pretty neat.

Also I want Zelda to participate in the story more. I loved OoT Zelda because I got to know her, which made rescuing her so much more important.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Or they could do what Okami did, with a false ending followed by the real story.
Shoot, I really need to play more of this game. I got it for my birthday months ago, but I just haven't had much time for a serious, lengthy adventure game. Of the games I've started and not finished recently (Within the last year or so) are Okami, Corruption, Kingdom Hearts (though I'm almost done), Tales of Symphonia (it's a replay, but still, I have to beat it before I get the second one. Also, I'm playing it so my sister can see the story, since she didn't see the first playthrough), and The World Ends With You, though that one I did beat, just I didn't get half of the secret reports yet.

Anyway, back on track. Concerning the demands of a second version of the next Zelda with much higher difficulty, if they could make it work, that would be awesome, though I do doubt whether it could fit all on one disc. I'd kind of hope it couldn't, because if it could, the game has room for more to be added. I do want another endless cave of monsters like on Outset, I think it was. That was one of, if not the, most fun arts of WW.

And yes, they really could give Zelda more character. In TP, she had some development, but I wasn't really attached to her emotionally like I was to Midna or even Ilia. They had more important roles in the story. I felt like Zelda only mattered to me because it's Zelda. In OoT, I wanted to smack her. And that meant I was attached to her emotionally. In TP I saved her because I knew I was supposed to, not because it felt important personally, if you know what I'm saying.

(Note: I wanted to smack Zelda in OoT because she made everything so much worse. She was well-meaning, but failed pretty badly, what with having me unlock the door to 7 years of domination for Ganondorf and all. And then she finally shows up and reveals herself, and boom, she's captured. Of course, she redeemed herself in Melee and Brawl by being my faithful second.

Alzi

Smash Master
Spire III i don't think we will be seeing a legend of zelda on wiiware the chances of it are sort of... :/

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
they should also make a Zelda RPG spinnoff...... sure there are hundreds of medieval-themed rpgs but i really believe zelda would be exceptionally cool.... perhaps they could get another company to focus on it so that it wont slow the actual series down

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
they should also make a Zelda RPG spinnoff...... sure there are hundreds of medieval-themed rpgs but i really believe zelda would be exceptionally cool.... perhaps they could get another company to focus on it so that it wont slow the actual series down
NO!

Sorry, but I'm not a big enough fan of RPGs to think that would be a good idea. Nine out of ten RPGs are turn-based, and while that adds strategy elements to boss battles, they just are not as epic or as exciting as their real-time couterparts. Plus, everyone hates random encounters, and they tend to get in the way of puzzles.

Spire

III
BRoomer
And yes, they really could give Zelda more character. In TP, she had some development, but I wasn't really attached to her emotionally like I was to Midna or even Ilia. They had more important roles in the story. I felt like Zelda only mattered to me because it's Zelda. In OoT, I wanted to smack her. And that meant I was attached to her emotionally. In TP I saved her because I knew I was supposed to, not because it felt important personally, if you know what I'm saying.

(Note: I wanted to smack Zelda in OoT because she made everything so much worse. She was well-meaning, but failed pretty badly, what with having me unlock the door to 7 years of domination for Ganondorf and all. And then she finally shows up and reveals herself, and boom, she's captured. Of course, she redeemed herself in Melee and Brawl by being my faithful second.
Unlike you, Zelda has never meant anything to me in OoT and TP whatsoever. Throughout my plentiful plays through those games, I've felt no inclination to save Zelda, but rather to explore at my own pace (which is unfortunately squeezed into a linear game direction) and to unveil the evil plots threatening the land. Zelda has always been an impetus, or catalyst for the game's movement.

To home in on OoT. It was really not until I had to flee from Ganon's tower with Zelda that I actually felt a desire to protect her. In Twilight Princess, she really didn't matter at all, but Midna was very close (as you mentioned). I did find Nintendo's move for Zelda to give up her soul to Midna a very smart one, because it signifies their counterpart relationship and that from that point on, Zelda was actually with you the whole time.

Now, Wind Waker is a totally different story. Tetra sparked a Zelda feeling, but I could not put two and two together and realize that she was Zelda, because she was designed so differently (with tanned skin and seagreen hair). This intrigued me, because I wondered where Zelda was, so the game sparks the desire to find Zelda, if she was in the game at all. Unlike most of the Zelda games, Ganon was introduced early on with Zelda coming into the picture about midway through the game. All in all, I felt a strong urge to protect Zelda in WW.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Unlike you, Zelda has never meant anything to me in OoT and TP whatsoever. Throughout my plentiful plays through those games, I've felt no inclination to save Zelda, but rather to explore at my own pace (which is unfortunately squeezed into a linear game direction) and to unveil the evil plots threatening the land. Zelda has always been an impetus, or catalyst for the game's movement.

To home in on OoT. It was really not until I had to flee from Ganon's tower with Zelda that I actually felt a desire to protect her. In Twilight Princess, she really didn't matter at all, but Midna was very close (as you mentioned). I did find Nintendo's move for Zelda to give up her soul to Midna a very smart one, because it signifies their counterpart relationship and that from that point on, Zelda was actually with you the whole time.

Now, Wind Waker is a totally different story. Tetra sparked a Zelda feeling, but I could not put two and two together and realize that she was Zelda, because she was designed so differently (with tanned skin and seagreen hair). This intrigued me, because I wondered where Zelda was, so the game sparks the desire to find Zelda, if she was in the game at all. Unlike most of the Zelda games, Ganon was introduced early on with Zelda coming into the picture about midway through the game. All in all, I felt a strong urge to protect Zelda in WW.
With OoT, it wasn't so much that I wanted to protect her, since she kind of annoyed me. I was just commenting on the idea that she, to me at least, felt more developed in OoT, since I felt more of an emotional tie to her as a character. I felt like she was an actual character, rather than just a princess with a familiar name. She had strengths and weaknesses. In TP, she just seemed to be there. I almost feel as if they were assuming prior knowledge of her in other games, because she seemed to miss a lot of development. I missed in particular the link (no pun intended, I swear. it just happened) between her and Link. In OoT, they were two kids working together to save the world, and later two people who had to fix he world they had inadverdently caused so much trouble. In TP, it seems like Zelda only uses Link because he's with Midna. The Zelda-Midna relationship was an interesting one, and I would have liked to see a bit more of it, but it felt a bit closed off. It was like having a friend of yours introduce you to their best friend from childhood, and then they proceed to reminisce about the old days. You're on the outside, looking in, and you missed the important stuff.

Tetra was interesting to me too. I also completely didn't call that she was Zelda. Of course, I missed the call on Sheik too, but that was years before, when I was still pretty young. In WW, I came to the game knowing nothing about it. I had played a good number of other Zeldas, but most of them were not Hyrule-related, like LA, MM, the Oracle games. OoT was probably the only one with the main story that I'd played. So I wasn't expecting the game to tie into that. Even with Ganondorf being around, I didnt really think about it. But Tetra definitely gave me some vibe of being something much more than just Tetra. So when I found out, it was an awakening. But once she became Zelda, it seemed like a part of Tetra vanished. I had trouble believing that Tetra would have waited for someone else to have all the fun. I missed the winking and that look of confidence. So, I went through the game hoping to save Tetra, both from Ganon and her new self. I wanted to get her out of that room and back with her pirate friends. I thought, if I got rid of Ganon, she would be safe to come out and return to her old self. And she did, though the game promptly ended. But if ever there was a Zelda game that set up for the inevitable sequel, then it was WW. and in PH, she was, for the small amount of time we saw her, back to normal.

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone like a sequel to Four Swords? The original, which came with the Alttp cartridge for the GBA, was the perfect mix of cooperation and competition. It's a shame you need 4 GBAs, 3 link cables, and 3 copies of the game to play it, if it wasn't for the steep requirements perhaps it'd get the recognition it deserves.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Would anyone like a sequel to Four Swords? The original, which came with the Alttp cartridge for the GBA, was the perfect mix of cooperation and competition. It's a shame you need 4 GBAs, 3 link cables, and 3 copies of the game to play it, if it wasn't for the steep requirements perhaps it'd get the recognition it deserves.
Well, I've never played either, but isn't Four Swords Adventures for the GC a sequel of sorts for it? It's got the four swords idea in it, but I don't know the stories. Only Zeldas I haven't played, actually. I should get on that.

Scott!

Smash Lord
That reminds me I need to play the NES Zeldas. I'm missing out!
I need to give them the time they deserve. They're harder though. The original is so open-ended; you'll find the dungeons in the wrong order and get stuck halfway through them. I've gotten about halfway through the game (in the normal mode only so far).

Zelda II annoys me. Perhaps it's because I'm playing on a Gamecube controller (I have the Collector's Disc) or something, but I just can't ever seem to fully master the combat. It requires good timing, or you'll just keep dying. And the three lives system just makes it tedious for me. I got to a point where I just couldn't advance any further on three lives before dying and having to get back to that point again. I've tried this game twice, but just couldn't get the hang of it, really.

Now I want to try again.

§leepy God

Smash Master
To tell you the truth, there isn't a single Zelda game that I have ever got disapointed at. Though my favroite so far is Wind Waker, I don't know, I clam that's the hardest Zelda game out there.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Well, Zelda II is the hardest for me yet, since its so different. Although many say its a bad game, I think its very good in its own way. At least, it inspired the RPGness of following Zelda's, like magic and the sorts.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Wind Waker as hardest? Honestly, I don't see it. Not that you're wrong; I'm curious as to why you think it's the hardest.

Personally, I find the first two quite difficult, though a lot of that is just having less-than-optimal controls (playing on a GC controller, where either I use the control stick, which is just imprecise for that, or I use the D-pad, which isn't in the best spot for my hands to use that much) and me just not being good at the combat. I also find ALttP's dungeons to be quite challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom