• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Pretty good. They reminded me of Killswitch Engage, mostly.

Also weegee I have heard nothing about CN for a long time. Where's teh albummm
the guys in Silence's house burned down and we lost all our interfaces and stuff. we're thinking of just finding somewhere else to record everything again so we can do actual real drums since programming the drums was taking way more time than everything else combined. it sucks that stuff like this keeps happening, but it does give us a chance to really polish everything up as we're finally completely done with the writing aspect.

IAmEsper

Smash Rookie
Hella pumped for the new Deafheaven LP. Haven't been this excited for an album in a while; they seem to be expanding their sound exactly the way they should be. Mad props; they've earned their rank among labelmates on Sargent House.

On a side note, has anyone heard Container Ships by Kowloon Walled City? It's available on Bandcamp for free/name your price here. Definitely one of my favorite metal releases of 2012. It's kind of a mixture between sludge and Jesus Lizard-esque noise rock. Recommend.

(Haven't posted here before but apologies if that album was plugged earlier ITT, I'm too tired and lazy to scroll back and look)

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9g0BSYJDQ
Redid that cover of Infant Annihilator-Torn from the Womb
Holla atcha boy wretched
The mic you're using doesn't really do your highs justice, but those growls were sounding pretty good this time, keep up the good work!

Also, just got Ghost's Infestissumam, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm not even into more classical styles of metal, but it really is a well-made piece of music.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
New Scale the Summit album is very very good.

Mouth of the Architect's new album will more than likely be amazing as well. Seeing both of them in 2 weeks

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
just got back from seeing Deafheaven. One of the most perfect performances I've ever been to. If there is a date on this tour near you do not neglect it. ****ing amazing. they played all but one song off Sunbather and two off their first album and it was some of the most intensely emotional and soul shattering catharsis to hear the music with such force and power. their drummer is ridiculous, absolutely excellent stamina.

they're touring with Marriages, who was also really incredible. they are a sort of inbetween between shoegaze and post-metal. Like Cocteau Twins meets Russian Circles.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've been listening lately to System of a Down. I'm more of a punk rock guy, but so far listening to SOAD has been a pleasant surprise. Any other metal band you could recommend me?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Any other metal band you could recommend me?
fixed :D

On a more serious note: Serj Tankian (their singer) also has a solo project, which is named after himself. If you like SOAD you'd probably enjoy that one as well.
Since you're coming from a punk background, maybe Kvelertak might be right up your alley, I specifically recommend Mjød http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__g2_uMUd8
If you want to check out more nu metal, you might want to have a look at Disturbed (if you didn't already).

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Hey guys, I've been listening lately to System of a Down. I'm more of a punk rock guy, but so far listening to SOAD has been a pleasant surprise. Any other metal band you could recommend me?
SOAD is legit (though i think their Mesmerize/Hypnotize album is pretty lame), Toxicity is a top 100 album ever for me.

a range of things you might like (or not. Metal is a diverse genre, and there aren't actually a ton of bands that sound like SOAD)

Deftones
Unexpect
Korn (first two albums)
Disturbed
Meshuggah
Between the Buried and Me
Mr. Bungle
Volumes
Silence (http://silencemetal.bandcamp.com/album/dead-presidents)
Slipknot
Faith No More
Botch
Intronaut
Diablo Swing Orchestra
HORSE the band

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Admit it, LT, HORSE the band is just in there because you like them, not because anything would suggest that the guy asking for recommendations has any higher inclination to like them than anybody else :p

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
On a more serious note: Serj Tankian (their singer) also has a solo project, which is named after himself. If you like SOAD you'd probably enjoy that one as well.
Since you're coming from a punk background, maybe Kvelertak might be right up your alley, I specifically recommend Mjød http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__g2_uMUd8
If you want to check out more nu metal, you might want to have a look at Disturbed (if you didn't already).
Yeah, I've heard about Serj's project but if I recall correctly it was classical orchestra kind of thing. Scars on Broadway, a band by SOAD's guitarist Daron Malakian, is one band that has got my attention. Later I will check Kverlertak and Disturbed, thanks!

SOAD is legit (though i think their Mesmerize/Hypnotize album is pretty lame), Toxicity is a top 100 album ever for me.

a range of things you might like (or not. Metal is a diverse genre, and there aren't actually a ton of bands that sound like SOAD)

Deftones
Unexpect
Korn (first two albums)
Disturbed
Meshuggah
Between the Buried and Me
Mr. Bungle
Volumes
Silence (http://silencemetal.bandcamp.com/album/dead-presidents)
Slipknot
Faith No More
Botch
Intronaut
Diablo Swing Orchestra
HORSE the band

SOAD's debut and Toxicity are really great, Steal This Album! has a kind alternative rock vibe and Mezmerize/Hypnotize are more experimental. I like all of their albums, but I prefer their first two records.

That's a lot of bands! :ohwell: Maybe I will give some a try...

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I couldn't get into Serj's solo stuff at all.

Has anyone listened to the new cryptopsy album (not really new). The vocalist who replaced Lord Worm stopped being terrible and they sound better than ever. If you get a chance, you should give that whole album a listed. Especially the lyrics.

Also, I've been listening to a bunch of Infant Annihilator recently because I moved in with someone who enjoys it as well. Anyone who gets a chance should follow some of their lyrics, too. There's nothing like the feeling of satisfaction when you read about annihilating infants.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuqxDwKHTKQ also did a new cover a few days ago. It's Lie to my Face by Carnifex. I definitely think I'm making some progress with learning my voice, but I really need to get a new mic and I need to up the production quality.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I couldn't get into Serj's solo stuff at all.

Has anyone listened to the new cryptopsy album (not really new). The vocalist who replaced Lord Worm stopped being terrible and they sound better than ever. If you get a chance, you should give that whole album a listed. Especially the lyrics.

Also, I've been listening to a bunch of Infant Annihilator recently because I moved in with someone who enjoys it as well. Anyone who gets a chance should follow some of their lyrics, too. There's nothing like the feeling of satisfaction when you read about annihilating infants.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuqxDwKHTKQ also did a new cover a few days ago. It's Lie to my Face by Carnifex. I definitely think I'm making some progress with learning my voice, but I really need to get a new mic and I need to up the production quality.
Infant Annihilator is definitely up there with some of the funniest bands I've ever heard, but not in a bad way. Their drummer is pretty damn good too, so they get a thumbs up in my book. :D

Your vocals are definitely getting there, and I can't wait to hear you with a better microphone.

Also, new Iwrestledabearonce is actually pretty good! The new singer can definitely get the job done, and her screams sound a bit deeper than Krysta's, which is a huge plus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXEdqs1BUk

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That IWABO track is much better than the first one they put out....I still don't really like it though. the vocals are fine, and there a couple of neat parts in there, but mostly they're just kinda boring this time around. I think I'm more of a fan of their debut EP than of them as a band as a whole. I wish they stuck with that style more.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Since you're coming from a punk background you might like some d-beat, grind, thrash, crossover, and crust stuff. Try this list of bands

DRI
Municipal Waste
Slayer
Destruction
Exodus
Hellbastard
Hirax
Poison Idea
Cancer Bats
Cerebral Bore
**** The Facts
Birdflesh
Impetigo
Gruesome Stuff Relish
Pig Destroyer
Nuclear Assault
Toxic Holocaust
Lawnmower Deth
Ghoul
Napalm Death
Amebix
Disfear
Skitsystem
Driller Killer
Doom
His Hero Is Gone
Doom
Sore Throat
Tragedy

I could probably list bands all day that are either punky metal or punk with a metallic edge to it. This should give you a good starting point though.

Edit: I don't get the hatred that Iwrestledabearonce gets. They've always been a really solid imo.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i dont hate IWABO like a lot of people do, but they just disappointed me because I found them when they just put their first EP out and i fell in love with that and most of the stuff since hasn't hit me in the same way.

new Aegaeon song/video! this band is really neat. im not crazy about the low brutal vox for the entire song but otherwise it's really awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8aid6N5YY

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Recommend to me neo crust/crust punk.

I adore catharsis, celeste, downfall of gaia, converge, trainwreck, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Song is cool, video is awful.

I wish I was making this band name up but "Paladins Of The Golden Power Fights With The Great Sword Of Eternal Magic And The Great Kings Will" was a band. Sadly they split up after just 1 release, but they have 2 of the greatest music videos ever produced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA7Bi2g06NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEU391osQC8
LOL that first video...when the first scream comes in...hahah holy ****.

anyways, my band Contacting Nebulas has the basic framework/guitars recorded for 8/9 songs for our full length! I finished tracking guitars on a 9.5 minute song, something i'm proud of because it wasn't very long ago when i couldn't write anything longer than 45 seconds. i dunno how it happened but about a third of the album is 6+ minute songs. we're hoping to get it mixed and mastered and have it released by mid-September!! so stoked. it has Zelda riffs, carnival keyboards, blues metal licks, grindcore, really silly tap/sliding transitions and a Japanese koto ballad.

here is the ****ty old demo version of the first song we wrote/recorded for the album. we got this version on a compilation for Thought Space Apparel (clothing line run by Michael Lessard of Last Chance to Reason/Contortionist) and we're gonna be on the same promo CD as bands like Ever Forthright and LC2R. i wish we could have sent in a better version of the song (I hate the mix/master on this one so much) but hey, whatcha gonna do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrHIJiuUtI "Kano" as posted before but **** it i deserve a lil self promo time. this is just a little taste of what we have, it's probably a mid-tier song as far as the rest of the album goes.

https://www.facebook.com/contactingnebulas

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
LOL that first video...when the first scream comes in...hahah holy ****.

anyways, my band Contacting Nebulas has the basic framework/guitars recorded for 8/9 songs for our full length! I finished tracking guitars on a 9.5 minute song, something i'm proud of because it wasn't very long ago when i couldn't write anything longer than 45 seconds. i dunno how it happened but about a third of the album is 6+ minute songs. we're hoping to get it mixed and mastered and have it released by mid-September!! so stoked. it has Zelda riffs, carnival keyboards, blues metal licks, grindcore, really silly tap/sliding transitions and a Japanese koto ballad.

here is the ****ty old demo version of the first song we wrote/recorded for the album. we got this version on a compilation for Thought Space Apparel (clothing line run by Michael Lessard of Last Chance to Reason/Contortionist) and we're gonna be on the same promo CD as bands like Ever Forthright and LC2R. i wish we could have sent in a better version of the song (I hate the mix/master on this one so much) but hey, whatcha gonna do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrHIJiuUtI "Kano" as posted before but **** it i deserve a lil self promo time. this is just a little taste of what we have, it's probably a mid-tier song as far as the rest of the album goes.

https://www.facebook.com/contactingnebulas
Congrats, man! Let us know when its coming in, I'd be more than happy to review it on Me Gusta Reviews for ya.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
That post makes me curious about the rest of the album. Even if it turns out to be garbage I can at least appreciate some experimental music for simply trying something different.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, I really don't know how it's going to be received by most people because I can't really think of a comparison because we're mostly just doing our own thing. the final product might be a total mess, but i'd rather that than a really well made melodic hardcore album or something.

So, i've been kind of not listening to much new metal releases. Deafheaven's Sunbather is my favorite metal release I've heard this year (it's probably my favorite musical release this year period) but everything else i've tried has either not impressed me or didn't leave a lasting impression. what's some good 2013 metal albums?

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
2013 has been pretty solid for metal I think. Leprous' Coal is a fine piece of progressive metal, Immolation still sounds like Immolation, Progenie Terrestre Pura's U.M.A. is like some kind of cyber-ambient black metal with tons of electronic elements all over the place, Fen's Dustwalker sounds as good as any other Fen album, Kvelertak, Omnium Gatherum, and Orphaned Land all had really good releases as well.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
2013 metal releases?
Thousand Leaves - Black Cloak Skeleton
Crow'sClaw - The flames of inferno
Iron Attack! - Heaven's Sword
as well as Silent Stratosphere by Eru and SSH are all really nice albums.

Oh, we're talking about people who don't arrange Touhou music? Uh, then, uhh... haven't seen anything that's been too interesting to me yet. Friend of mine really likes the new Kalmah album (which I haven't gotten around to listen to yet), but he's such a fanboy of that band, that I would take that with a grain of salt :D

But seriously, the Reitaisai10 metal releases are pretty amazing <3

Top Bottom