• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think Ever Forthright is basically the only djent band that I regularly listen to, and i usually only listen to the instrumental version of their album.

oh, there is this band Stargazer who is pretty nice that I guess is considered djent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhuhj-ce4A

i like them because they there is a ton of major key riffage. major key scales and harsh vocals always do it for me. it's got that djenty bounce too

edit: look at that ridiculous censor

Get Low

Smash Ace
I feel like a lot of djent bands would be better if they cut out their vocalists.
Unless you're as talented as the dude from Periphery, chances are your vocals are just going to water down the music.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Idk why but I finally just now decided to sit down with Last Chance to Reason's Level 2

holy **** this album was made for me. someone in here was posting about how Level 2 is like a way better and less boring version of Contortionist's Intrinsic, a statement I originally scoffed at because I had only heard Level 1 which is just...okay....but it's true. It really does remind me of Contortionist, but it's so much better in nearly every fashion.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
So funnily enough August Burns Red came to this local music place to do a drum festival clinic thingy, which I had to work at.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Idk why but I finally just now decided to sit down with Last Chance to Reason's Level 2

holy **** this album was made for me. someone in here was posting about how Level 2 is like a way better and less boring version of Contortionist's Intrinsic, a statement I originally scoffed at because I had only heard Level 1 which is just...okay....but it's true. It really does remind me of Contortionist, but it's so much better in nearly every fashion.
I believe that was me, and I still hold that statement as true. The riffs are catchier, they're more technical in all the right places, the singer is MUCH better (and he did all the harmonies manually, which I ADORE), and they do a decent job of not flooding their songs with lyrics like some heavier bands choose to do. Level 2 is, overall, just better.

EDIT: So apparently, The Contortionist's singer/keys left due to family, and LCTR's Mike Lessard is doing temp vocals for them as they look for a new singer.

How about that ****? :awesome:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Zozobra's new album kicks ass. Shame it's so short.

Also, the bassist and drummer for Baroness have left. Kinda sucks

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah my highs are definitely better now. I had been practicing lows for a while but I hadn't refined my highs, but I think I have it now. Those newer two have none of that raspy screaming, so they're a step forward.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Nice! I'm hoping within the next couple days to get a vocal cover online. My friend and I are doing a cover of Whitechapel's "The Darkest Day Of Man", and I just got my part done, now I'm just waiting on him. His growls are nasty, so I can't wait to hear how he does.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Oh, so you're doing a Scream/Growl combo sorta thing? I've always wanted to do one of those with someone with powerful screams.

finalark

SNORLAX
Gotta say, you got those gutturals down pretty well. Once you get a significantly better mic re-upload those covers so your screams are a bit clearer.

Man, I haven't listened to death metal in a while. I'll be honest, I tend to prefer more melodic metal.

EDIT: Damn, how long have we had this thread? I'm surprised I've never posted in here.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's few great death metal bands imho.
I really, really like some which take a more progressive approach. Namely Edge of Sanity and Lykathea Aflame.
And old school stuff that's mostly noise like the first two Obituary albums can be pretty fun as well.

But the bands of that Genre that I really enjoy are few and far between. I usually prefer Black metal in terms of noisy stuff that most people would be reluctant to call "music" (:
(also: If I can trust the tags people assigned on last fm, melodeath happens to be my 2nd most listened to metal subgenre :D)

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Gotta say, you got those gutturals down pretty well. Once you get a significantly better mic re-upload those covers so your screams are a bit clearer.

Man, I haven't listened to death metal in a while. I'll be honest, I tend to prefer more melodic metal.

EDIT: Damn, how long have we had this thread? I'm surprised I've never posted in here.
Thanks man. Yeah, I know for a FACT that my mic doesn't pick up half of the sounds of my screams. I think the reason is that my mic doesn't pick up certain higher frequencies, especially on my inhale screams. So when I record my screams, it doesn't pick up the high pitched air, but it picks up the clicking of my throat. I will be getting a mic that isn't a USB headset mic with a sock on it >.>;
You can even see the mic fail to pic up the high pitch I go into at the end of CTTWBAR.

As you can see, I've given up on trying to make them sound good, so I just did songs without them and that is what I will probably do until I get this aforementioned mic.

This thread has been here since I started on smashboards in '10. I guess it just dies really often so you didn't notice it.

EDIT: Yo Zyxx, this is the way I see it and this is what I tell most people who call metal noise. Music, at its essence, is all about 'feelings'. It is about translating human emotions into music. Some music might makes you feel how you want to feel, and that is how we know how we like it. If you listen to a beautifully written piano song, like lets say Fantaisie Impromptu by Chopin, and you close your eyes and listen, you will truly FEEL what the music is trying to say to you, and you will feel the emotion that each section was intended to make you feel by Chopin. So why in the world do we judge genres at all? If static made you feel how you wanted to feel, you'd listen to it. I think the only music that doesn't really depend on feelings is popular music, and it is all about subject matter, lyrics, and catchyness with that kind of music.

The fact that people call metal 'noise' often is just ignorance. Usually it is because people are used to such simple songs that they can't distinguish the patterns of technicality in metal, nor can they keep up with the pace and all of the instruments. If anyone ever calls anything you listen to dumb or noise, usually I just tell them that and they shut their moufs.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
another new Dillinger song, this one is way cooler and the music video is absolutely incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBFEanVsp4

that weird-*** lacuna at 1:54 makes this song for me

so excited for this album, way more than i was for option paralysis

I'm right there with ya, the two singles are making it shape up to be very similar to Calculating Infinity, but with a bit of the Option Paralysis writing thrown in as well. The hype is definitely there! :D

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyCTB2IoSA
New song with fixed screams. Def sounds better.
sounds pretty decent to me! you should do a good song now.

just kidding

but seriously. i don't like chelsea grin at all and the vocal style is kinda whatever to me, and i don't know a ton about the intricacies of harsh vocals but it sounds accurate to the actual vocals to me so i can't bag on you too bad. man though what a terrible song.

anyways, finally listened to the Tomahawk album that came out last year. it's...good. some of the tracks are really really not my thing and totally not what I listen to Tomahawk for, but the majority of them are nice as hell! still prefer God Hates a Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk still one of my fav performances xD looove that gasmask thingy and cop outfits. its gimmicky but so what its bad-ass and fits perfectly with the music

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Yeah, Chelsea Grin definitely takes some getting used to. The only reason I did the song is because of his vocals. In terms of the instruments and ****, it is just watered down deathcore and I don't care for it much.

I have a new, real, mic now that I need to test and I'm going to do a song today. I'm thinking of doing Hamnmer Smashed Face but if anyone has any links to some favorite songs with emphasis on vocals, I'd be happy to give it a listen and potentially cover it. I'd like to do something that I can play with a little more.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Noenum? Isn't that black metal?

Sheee I can't do black metal really. Plus my vocals superimposed over their intentional underproduction of a song would sound mad bad ;[

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's super underproduced, and the vocals basically have nothing to do with neither pitch nor information transmission anymore :D

In short: i was just joking and am pretty amazed you'd even know them. Good job! (:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I like it. I might just have to do two tonight because I am liking the idea of this Reduced to Paste but I want to do some Beneath the Massacre.

EDIT: Ended up doing The Black Dahlia Murder - What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_xGNeLoHF0

Will do some cattle decap later or maybe in the morning.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-duzKDxT6s
Cattle Decapitation - Reduced to Paste

Thank you so much for suggesting dis.
Damn, you did a great job! You handled some of the higher accented parts very well, and you actually did a great job of keeping with his lyrics, especially at the end. You definitely need to do more of their songs. :bee:

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Those were some crazy lyrics. At one point the lyrics are hydroxypropyl methylcellulose
methylchloroisothiazolinone.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
not really a megadeth fan in general but i'm pretty sure that it's only Dave Mustaine and the bassist from the original lineup. Dave Mustaine is a complete turd of a human being also. I try not to let musician's personal lives get in the way of their art, but it's hard with Mustaine especially in the last decade

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Top Bottom