• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
The only song I think that isn't up to par is Specular Reflection, sure it has a cool chorus but the song doesnt really evolve. Augment of Rebirth is good heavy song, with IMO their best breakdown they've done. Lunar Wilderness is definitely my favorite. It starts off nice and soft, picks up and ends on one of their best outros.

It took me awhile to digest it but once I did, I loved it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I loce that breakdown youre talking about and i also love the little barn sounds interlude with "have i become a God? i have been called much worse"

i like Lunar the best as well, its the one song on there that doesnt peter out at the end. my big issue is that all the songs have incredible intros and some cool interludes but they never really go anywhere and theyre just thrown in with a bunch of typical btbam riffs

:phone:

Get Low

Smash Ace
I've known about Dream Theater for a long time, but I never took the time to listen to them for more than five minutes after hearing what their vocalist sounds like. Usually if a band's vocalist doesn't scream or sing in a high-pitched whiny voice, I can't stand listening to it. However, I always knew that they would be a band that I'd appreciate musically. A friend of mine told me that they actually went to college to study music, and I was like, "Okay, I have to give these guys another listen." I downloaded their first album, Images and Words, and it is absolutely incredible. Not only is the instrumental composition beautifully constructed, but the vocals on the album are tolerable, and even somewhat enjoyable for me. He doesn't try too hard to strain his voice like most clean vocalists in metal do, and it has a very smooth and easy-going feel to it.

How do you guys feel about Dream Theater?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Octavarium is their high point IMO.

And yeah James LaBrie is a fantastic vocalist. Octavarium has him straining his voice a few times too so I highly recommend you check it out. The last (and titular) track is quite an adventure

Get Low

Smash Ace
Octavarium is their high point IMO.

And yeah James LaBrie is a fantastic vocalist. Octavarium has him straining his voice a few times too so I highly recommend you check it out. The last (and titular) track is quite an adventure
I'll give it a look-see.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I like Dream Theater, but I just can't get into most of their stuff. Only songs I really enjoy are Under a Glass Moon and Another Day

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Speaking of dream theater, am I the only one who likes their new album more than stuff like images and words?

Mostly because I absolutley hate LaBrie's godawful power metal type stuff, and I feel like their newest doesn't have anything like that.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Why not?

Can you really describe why a certain band doesn't appeal to you? Well, obviously you can if they can't play their instruments or something... but provided they don't have obvious flaws, it all boils down to personal tastes pretty fast (:

I personally dislike Dream Theater as well, despite generally enjoying progressive metal things a lot :D

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
But why, though?
a bunch of ****y "progressive" 90s riffs with unlistenable power metal crooning or in the case of their newer stuff, terrible harsh vocals. the lyrics run the gamut from simply corny to so far up the bandmembers *****. they are the lamest, corniest, no balls emotionless old-prog band with beyond pretentious songwriting.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I like DT in small doses but James' vocals get annoying fast so making it through an entire album is actually kinda challenging. It's a shame that such a potentially amazing band has such a horrible vocalist.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Perceptionist just put a video out for this song "Feeling Nostalgic" and I really ****ing like it. I never heard of this band but I'm hooked on this song. I usually hate these kinds of clean vocals but the vocal melody here really grabs me. the harsh vocals are mediocre. the lyrics are very corny. my favorite thing about it is how positive and whimsical the music is. it makes me want to go meditate under a rainbow.

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/10835/perceptionist-feeling-nostalgic-(official-video)

also found this band Lorelei . cool band name. cool melodic and synth-string centric deathcore (i guess. i'm afraid to call anything death metal nowadays). kinda reminds me of newer Wretched but more focus on melody and orchestral textures

https://www.facebook.com/LoreleiBand/app_178091127385

Get Low

Smash Ace
Perceptionist just put a video out for this song "Feeling Nostalgic" and I really ****ing like it. I never heard of this band but I'm hooked on this song. I usually hate these kinds of clean vocals but the vocal melody here really grabs me. the harsh vocals are mediocre. the lyrics are very corny. my favorite thing about it is how positive and whimsical the music is. it makes me want to go meditate under a rainbow.

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/10835/perceptionist-feeling-nostalgic-(official-video)
They sound like Painted in Exile's little brother. Those cleans vocals were awful in my opinion, but the excellent musicianship and the fact that he's screaming 75% of the time saves it and makes it enjoyable to listen to as a whole.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Here's a list of bands who have broken my heart over the years.
These bands began their careers crafting skillful music with strongly executed breakdowns,
but then quit playing breakdowns because they were afraid of being too "core" and began
writing stale and monotonous death and/or prog metal.

Between the Buried and Me.
The Contortionist.
Born of Osiris.
Veil of Maya.
The Faceless.

I listened to a new Rings of Saturn song and it sounded like an absolute mess without any breakdowns,
so I'm sure they can be added to the list.

I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few other bands, but these are the ones that broke my heart the most.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Between the Buried and Me.
The Contortionist.
The Faceless.
But parallax II, Intrinsic, and Autotheism were much better than their respective band's previous stuff (Excluding colors, as BTBAM's transition has been pretty gradual)

I actually feel the opposite way that you feel: bands like Contortionist, BTBAM, and even the faceless have abandoned monotonus chugging for far more interisting and organic things. And rings of saturn suck anyways.

Also, just recently found these guys Amogh Symphony. Really cool sci-fi prog metal with electronic elements. Some stuff (Such as the guitar tones) are ehh, but overall I feel like it makes up for that.

http://amoghsymphony.bandcamp.com/album/the-quantum-hack-code

Get Low

Smash Ace
^ I think you're literally the first person I've come across who actually liked Autotheism.

Otherwise, I know how you feel. It seems like people either like brainless chugging bands, or sophisticated and intelligent music. But I like both, which is why I love all of those aforementioned bands' earlier stuff.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I'm with Dark Horse, though I'm admittedly not that big of a fan of -core stuff that doesn't begin with either hard or grind; and even then the hardcore I like is mostly 80s stuff. I also grew up on death metal (I know it sounds crazy) so hearing more of that influence on newer albums makes me happy.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
the first Faceless is the only good one. Rings of Saturn is garbage music that is recorded at half speed.

BTBAMs problem isnt no breakdowns, its shoving way too many monotnous repetitions of riffs into a song until there is like 4 minutes of filler on many tracks.

Veil of Maya has barely changed and if anything their last album has more chug parts and breakdowns than anything.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
BTBAMs problem isnt no breakdowns, its shoving way too many monotnous repetitions of riffs into a song until there is like 4 minutes of filler on many tracks.
This too. There's about 3 minutes of Lay Your Ghosts to Rest that I skip because it adds absolutley nothing

Get Low

Smash Ace
the first Faceless is the only good one. Rings of Saturn is garbage music that is recorded at half speed.

Veil of Maya has barely changed and if anything their last album has more chug parts and breakdowns than anything.

I agree with most of this besides the Veil of Maya comment. They still chug a lot, but it's not really breakdown oriented like on the Common Man's Collapse.

Get Low

Smash Ace
On a different note, if you don't think Mordecai by Between the Buried and Me is the most beautiful song ever written, your opinion is wrong.

That ending gives me the goosebumps every time.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I just realized how hilarious it is that "Get Low" is getting somewhat mad at bands for no longer using breakdowns.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Mordecai and Birdo were the two big songs that got me to stop hating all types of metal and heavy screaming music. I wish BTBAM would go back and make a song as heartfelt and ungimmicky as Mordecai again

Get Low

Smash Ace
I just realized how hilarious it is that "Get Low" is getting somewhat mad at bands for no longer using breakdowns.
Hahaha, I just love breakdowns. My name actually comes from the breakdown in the song "The Plot to Bomb the Handle" by A Day To Remember (I know ADTR is gay but whatever).

Mordecai and Birdo were the two big songs that got me to stop hating all types of metal and heavy screaming music. I wish BTBAM would go back and make a song as heartfelt and ungimmicky as Mordecai again
I agree so hard.
I wish they would just do it, but then again it's probably not very easy to write a song that's that good.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Hahaha, I just love breakdowns. My name actually comes from the breakdown in the song "The Plot to Bomb the Handle" by A Day To Remember (I know ADTR is gay but whatever).

I agree so hard.
I wish they would just do it, but then again it's probably not very easy to write a song that's that good.
Breakdowns aren't bad. They are just often abused and not taken to their full potential. There are bands that will use at least 5-6 different breakdowns and ruin the punch they are supposed to have, OR they will throw some sort of cheeky synth over it to make it seem all artsy or something like that, when really they are also just sterilizing it. A breakdown should be not just a change of pace, but a physical and emotional sway in the song completely. For example, Parkway Drive's "Dark Days." The song does have some chugging in it, but it has an ending breakdown that shakes you, and there's no going back to the same feeling that you had earlier on in the track. Another good example in Rolo Tomassi's "French Motel". You understand the chaotic atmosphere that they are trying to bring right from the get-go, but the breakdown really brings that pandemonium home. The song then turns to a more heavy, dark tone compared to the lighter chaos taking place in the beginning.

Breakdowns aren't a bad thing, they just need to be used to their potential and not abused to all hell.

...here's looking at you, Rise Records bands. :bee:

Not gonna lie, I literally just did a vlog about this with my friend, the topic has come up quite a few times in conversations before.

Idk, for me it was Alaska, I didn't enjoy Mordecai as much until I heard it on the Colors Live DVD. That being said, I'm kinda glad they haven't tried to write more like their older stuff. I'd much rather them keep evolving along the path they're on, THEN do a re-recording of their self-titled and The Silent Circus, just for the hell of it.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid I might be that guy because I've liked Meshuggah since before people thought djent was a thing.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
everyone should post more. I like how more people have come here. if you are reading this, don't just lurk! post some metal or hardcore or noise music!
Is Axel Rudi Pell metal enough? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUle_E-hX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0XVz-oTj8

Also, since there was some vgm talk: Friend of mine recently told me that the singer ARP works with also has done music for the Sonic series :D
(and I'll have to admit that silent hill doesn't really show up on my list of favorite vgm... well, the #1 spot is reserved for religious reverence anyways (Touhou), but there's also the stuff ZTS / Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson / the Follins did, and stuff like the Bastion and Shatter soundtracks...)
Hmm... metal and vgm... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLQhzsJG0A pretty different from the usual boring (to me at least) epic orchestra stuff Uematsu does :D

Top Bottom