• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I was thinking, "Well, it's okay."

Then I got to the "chorus"

Also I am hyped as **** for Scale the Summit's new album. From the previews on metalsucks, it reminds me of Cloudkicker, who is my favorite artist of all time.

Also look at that amazing album art:
I never really liked Scale all that much until The Collective. I'm pretty excited for The Migration. The song preview thing is dope.

I'm even more stoked for the new CHON !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEsdAIQwphE

Sasser

solo nana
While you're at it, listen to the newest Cult of Luna and Intronaut albums. 2013 is a great year for metal.

I also think nobody mentioned Isis in this thread. My favorite band. (WHAT KIND OF METAL ARE YOU GUYS LISTENING TO OH MY GOD)

Sasser

solo nana
WELL. At least we can agree on The Ocean. They have always been solid even though they went through like 30 people.

Sasser

solo nana
Post-metal, if you really wanna call it that, is definitely my favorite kind of metal. I cant really get into metalcore or melodeath etc :(

Surely y'all are about that new Tesseract though

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I think Sasser and I have similar taste in metal. Post-metal is where it's at. Even the most bland post metal is at the very least tonally interesting. My personal favorite being Neurosis.

Metalcore is mostly garbage with some exceptions, though those exceptions are great. I think metalcore has this issue where average metalcore sounds really awful and it takes something exceptional to make it sound good but when it works it works really well.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Overall I can't get into slower paced metal the way I can with most other stuff. I'm not sure how it's a delineation between "post-metal/doom" and "metalcore" though as if it's either one or the other. It really depends on the band I guess. I don't like much stoner doom except bands like Witch Mountain, and i don't like post-metal too much outside of bands like East of the Wall...but on the other hand, Lantlos is by far the best discovery I've made from this thread, and I don't even know what that would be considered as it's generally a bit more low-tempo than the heavy music i generally listen to but isn't half as boring and turgid as I find a lot of post-metal and doomy music.

if I had to claim allegiance to any one subset or subgenre of heavy music, it would definitely be mathcore and to a far lesser degree tech-metal.

Sasser

solo nana
Overall I can't get into slower paced metal the way I can with most other stuff. I'm not sure how it's a delineation between "post-metal/doom" and "metalcore" though as if it's either one or the other. It really depends on the band I guess. I don't like much stoner doom except bands like Witch Mountain, and i don't like post-metal too much outside of bands like East of the Wall...but on the other hand, Lantlos is by far the best discovery I've made from this thread, and I don't even know what that would be considered as it's generally a bit more low-tempo than the heavy music i generally listen to but isn't half as boring and turgid as I find a lot of post-metal and doomy music.

if I had to claim allegiance to any one subset or subgenre of heavy music, it would definitely be mathcore and to a far lesser degree tech-metal.
A lot of the time hardcore-influenced metal is too...for lack of a better word, fast. If there are any subtleties in the music, it's already over way before you can even appreciate it. Plus I am almost never a fan of the vocals. They make the music sound runny. I'm all about memorable riffs, and faster paced metal usually isn't about that life. They want to tease me with really good 20 second guitar ****ery and then I just get mad when it's over because they're screaming indecipherable mcgillicutty in my ear.

A lot of the bands that refer to themselves as post-metal are boring. I like the "pioneers" of the genre, who only kind of dabbled in the post-rock sound. The best example being Isis...up until In the Absence of Truth, there's really no mistaking how metal they are. I still love all their albums, but after that one, their music just got kinda suspect.

Makes my heart sink when everyone around me can appreciate The Dillinger Escape Plan and I can't. I've tried two of their albums and it's just not for me. I adore songs like Dead As History and Widower, but when they're doing their normal thing I'm just like, bleh. And it's not just hardcore. Some bands like Full of Hell and Early Graves really do it for me sometimes.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
For me it isn't a pace thing. I like punk, grind, crust, and d-beat after all. It's that so many of them rely on techniques that can create for a fun energetic live show, but don't necessarily come across as exciting on album. Having never seen Parkway Drive, and knowing I hate how they sound on album, I'd bet good money they're fun live just for the pits those slammy breakdowns would create. Whereas on album I think I prefer metalcore bands that aren't just metalcore and incorporate other styles of music, or even bands that aren't metalcore but incorporate the occasional chug in an interesting way.

For me D.E.P. is one of those exceptions as they're not just a metalcore band. They're also extremely technical and sometimes border on being a progressive metal band. BTBAM is more of a progressive metal band that dabbles in metalcore and that works for me. Gojira, Hacride, Klone, Protest The Hero, Botch, What's He Building In There?, and Trepalium are also all solid bands to find those compelling elements of metalcore without being confined to a strictly metalcore shell - mostly because they're more like tech bands with the occasional metalcore moment or song.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Here's a new cover I just did. It's An Autopsy by The Faceless.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLZYeJr-kk

I am going to do a cover of Carnifex's version of Angel of Death tonight
I don't think any band, regardless of how I feel about their music in general, has had a bigger impact on metal than Slayer, so I can at least do that for Jeff.

EDIT: I am taking this video down and redoing it because the audio got messed up while saving...
I'll do both covers tomorrow.

Aight here is an autopsy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf7r_ty52QI
I've been strapped for time but I'll do Angel of Death soon.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Dillinger is one of the only bands I know who experiments yet is almost always successful in creating a unique yet brutal sound. I'll give that a listen for sure.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Dillinger's album leaked. It isn't as good as Option Paralysis imo, but its definitely one of their best.
can't wait to hear it. i actually quite disliked Option Paralysis (i mean i liked it, but i didn't really dig the direction the band went in for that. i don't like the rock and roll parts so much, my fav. Dillinger is still Miss Machine and/or the Irony is a Dead Scene EP)

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
can't wait to hear it. i actually quite disliked Option Paralysis (i mean i liked it, but i didn't really dig the direction the band went in for that. i don't like the rock and roll parts so much, my fav. Dillinger is still Miss Machine and/or the Irony is a Dead Scene EP)
I can appreciate that, Miss Machine is a fantastic album as well. Idk why, but I felt Option Paralysis felt better as a whole. And honestly, some of the more rock and roll parts fit like a charm imo, I love Greg's cleans on it, especially after hearing them on Ire Works too.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
So I've been sort of fiending for some new music lately, trying to find some new good metal to listen to and was hoping someone here could hook me up. Probably my favorite band right now would be Parkway Drive, so something similar to that would be good. Couple examples if you don't know who they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeetS4vERoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lpftvYDMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428sktWCvaM

Tons of songs to choose from, just happened to pick those 3. After Parkway Drive, Mastodon would have to be my favorite, they compose some great songs instrumentally. Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2fp-kKOIw (this song is the ****)

Anyway I can appreciate mostly anything with good structure and instrumentals, not good as in they are playing ridiculous stuff but it just doesn't really flow well or sound great. I prefer the style of Parkway Drive's vocalist to Mastodon's though. So if you all have any suggestions that would be ****ing awesome. Thanks

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
So I've been sort of fiending for some new music lately, trying to find some new good metal to listen to and was hoping someone here could hook me up. Probably my favorite band right now would be Parkway Drive, so something similar to that would be good. Couple examples if you don't know who they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeetS4vERoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lpftvYDMA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428sktWCvaM

Tons of songs to choose from, just happened to pick those 3. After Parkway Drive, Mastodon would have to be my favorite, they compose some great songs instrumentally. Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2fp-kKOIw (this song is the ****)

Anyway I can appreciate mostly anything with good structure and instrumentals, not good as in they are playing ridiculous stuff but it just doesn't really flow well or sound great. I prefer the style of Parkway Drive's vocalist to Mastodon's though. So if you all have any suggestions that would be ****ing awesome. Thanks
Sounds like you need some Sylosis in your life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdPoL1yQsA

As well as some Darkest Hour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5bacQCPUw

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah my drummer showed me that new Deafheaven, it is extremely up my alley!

edit: and oh yeah One of Us is the Killer blows Operation Paralysis out of the water. in fact it's probably my favorite DEP album since Miss Machine

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Has anyone heard of Infant Annihilator?

If not, go listen. I'ma do a cover within a few days of Torn from the Womb.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Just got back from seeing Opeth for the second time. The show was so much better than last time, they played everything I've ever wanted to hear live and more

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
It wasn't that I was struggling with the pronunciation. Its just that in order to get a heavier sound at certain parts, you sacrifice pronunciation. That's been both the survivor and the perceived plague of metal. I know the lyrics by heart and I was saying all of them, but like I said, in order to sound like him, I sacrifice pronunciation. If you listen to him you, he pronounces it generally the same. Every once in a while I deviate but for the most part I feel like I slur when he slurs and I pronounce when he pronounces.

I was almost sure somebody'd point out the audio lag though. I almost want to remove it and redo it.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
That Silence track is decent-ish. I wish the outro was a bit longer since it was an interesting contrast to the rest of the song. I might check them out a bit more.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Pretty good. They reminded me of Killswitch Engage, mostly.

Also weegee I have heard nothing about CN for a long time. Where's teh albummm

Top Bottom